Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

hooman posted:

Necessary:

:newlol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Alhazred posted:

There's also no mentioning of trans women. he just automatically assumes that reader is trans phobic enough to get the point. Taken on it's own it's just a really bad motivational speech.

Yeah, this is what struck me most about this cartoon. If you weren’t already in the headspace that trans women in sports is a constant, overwhelming threat that forever stops women from achieving, then this cartoon makes no sense.

You literally need to have you first reaction to hearing about women’s sports be “loving [slur against trans people]!!!!!” to not have to puzzle about it until you understand the point.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 19, 2022

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

skeleton warrior posted:

Yeah, this is what struck me most about this cartoon. If you weren’t already in the headspace that trans women in sports is a constant, overwhelming threat that forever stops women from achieving, then this cartoon makes no sense.

You literally need to have you first reaction to hearing about women’s sports be “loving [slur against trans people]!!!!!” to not have to puzzle about it until you understand the point.

IDK what it says about me, but my first assumption was "This is a comic against trans people".

Probably that conservatives have like a three track mind, and this is one of the tracks.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Silver in the Olympics really shouldn't be framed as a failure.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

RoboRodent posted:

Silver in the Olympics really shouldn't be framed as a failure.

Second best in the loving world?
Lol. How loving awful to end so poorly.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I'm just going to mentally AGC into a heartwarming scene of a parent being proud of their trans child.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

skeleton warrior posted:

I've often thought about suggesting an "Assay Memorial* Award for Cartoon You Already Need to Be an rear end in a top hat to Interpret" for the Kellies, but could never think of a good pithy name.

*we wish

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

lol i thought it was just a generic “the united states is so mediocre now where is our desire for exceptionalism!!” take

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Transphobes are also being very misleading about the Lia Thomas thing, because another trans swimmer, Iszac Henig, is ALSO setting records.

But Henig is a pre-HRT trans man.

So…by their logic Henig should not be setting big records and dominating the sport. So they use misleading headlines of “trans swimmers clobber the competition” and then bury Henig’s status as a trans MAN in the article. It’s lovely but not surprising.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Pants Donkey posted:

So…by their logic

Found your problem.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Pants Donkey posted:

Transphobes are also being very misleading about the Lia Thomas thing, because another trans swimmer, Iszac Henig, is ALSO setting records.

But Henig is a pre-HRT trans man.

So…by their logic Henig should not be setting big records and dominating the sport. So they use misleading headlines of “trans swimmers clobber the competition” and then bury Henig’s status as a trans MAN in the article. It’s lovely but not surprising.

Trans men are basically never spoken of by conservatives. It's as if they don't exist.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Is "Russia is totally gonna invade" the new "Iran is totally finishing their nuclear warheads?"

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

A Good Cartoon

Somfin posted:

Is "Russia is totally gonna invade" the new "Iran is totally finishing their nuclear warheads?"

"Trump is going to go to prison for his crimes" is the new "Iran is totally finishing their nuclear warheads."

I'm not saying whether Russia will invade or not because hell I dunno and I'm not going to pretend I know anything about the situation over there to even guess, but I don't think it's comparable to "Iran finishing their warheads" because there's actually Russian troops on the border of Ukraine, like all Putin has to do is just give the word and they could invade at any second. That's very different from "Maybe Iran is secretly making weapons grade uranium but there isn't really any proof of that."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Somfin posted:

No, it is not.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Well that thread is a fistful of stupid. Thanks.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Tory party people and stormy weather – Britain’s leaders think laterally as Storm Eunice blows in"

Telegraph:

Vladimir Putin steels Russia for tough Western sanctions amid Ukraine crisis

Matt:

O2 Arena roof ripped open as former Millennium Dome battered by 100mph Storm Eunice winds

Independent:

After Delacroix.

The i paper:

Times:

After Madness.

Stephen Collins:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I dont know posted:

Trans men are basically never spoken of by conservatives. It's as if they don't exist.

Trans woman are evil sexual predators who wants to ruin women's sport. Trans men are deluded tomboys that are tricked into transitioning.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Alhazred posted:

Trans woman are evil sexual predators who wants to ruin women's sport. Trans men are deluded tomboys that are tricked into transitioning.

Yeah, part of it is that it's inconceivable to them that anyone would want to be a woman.
Either you're born a guy and you congratulate yourself on winning the biological gender coin toss, or you're born a woman and consider yourself lucky that you're allowed to vote but otherwise accept your lot in life.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Nick Anderson

Clay Bennett

Steve Breen

Tim Campbell

Jeff Danziger

John Deering

Joe Heller

Clay Jones

Gary Markstein

Two Party Opera

Tom Stiglich

Matt Wuerker

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Raised By Birds posted:

Two Party Opera

Great to see this updating again!

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I've been thinking of doing a NZ poltoon roundup at some point but here's a few from across the range:

Danz is real good at portraying the completely unhinged:

https://twitter.com/yeehawtheboys/status/1495249517754470401?s=21

Boomslang aka Al Nisbet used to be a fully mainstream political cartoonist but has skated a long way to the right and now posts entirely on a far-right subscription blog. He's a deep mine of terrible cartoons, going back a while - the first two here were largely responsible for his banishment from my local newspaper:

and here's where he's made it to from the last couple of months:

But i can't stop staring in bafflement at his Jacinda Ardern:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

CUM CUM CUM CUM CUM CUM CUM CUM CUM CUM CUM

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

xiw posted:

That Jacinda, reading Das Kapital and Mein Kampf at the same time. drat Nazi-Commie.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I have absolutely no idea if Wuerker thinks this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

xiw posted:

I've been thinking of doing a NZ poltoon roundup at some point but here's a few from across the range:

Danz is real good at portraying the completely unhinged:

https://twitter.com/yeehawtheboys/status/1495249517754470401?s=21

Boomslang aka Al Nisbet used to be a fully mainstream political cartoonist but has skated a long way to the right and now posts entirely on a far-right subscription blog. He's a deep mine of terrible cartoons, going back a while - the first two here were largely responsible for his banishment from my local newspaper:

and here's where he's made it to from the last couple of months:

What an impressively hosed up human being. Also, loving the classic "a witch hunt is a bunch of witches hunting, right?"

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

“Elphaba is the antagonist of this story, right?”

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Kit Walker posted:

What an impressively hosed up human being.

I've been collating a collection of his older cartoons and there are a lot of gems but I'll parcel them out over time.

Here's a bonus from during BLM and NZ's lockdown:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

xiw posted:

I've been collating a collection of his older cartoons and there are a lot of gems but I'll parcel them out over time.

Here's a bonus from during BLM and NZ's lockdown:

(e:removed): best threat of a good time

E: oh sorry that would be from a couple of years ago I assume

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 20, 2022

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

We had the mandates for all of SIX WEEKS you stupid hateful gently caress. We're losing the mandates and making the city less safe for everyone because a handful of restaurant owners complained. They got what they loving wanted and here you are, drawing the opposite of reality with non-descript logos that look an awful lot like actual restaurants in Philadelphia, but just different enough that you don't implicate them.

I know it's because he's local to me, but I might hate Stiglitch more than any other person in this thread.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Oh ffs

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH I hate it so much it's so goddamn stupid why does every braindead moron think they've unlocked the secrets of the universe by just pretending they don't have biases

(The likely answer is that the artist thinks like the guy on the left and is also a coward)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Fun fact: gas (petrol, if you’re nasty) grades do not necessarily mean better performance or efficiency. The grade pertains to octane levels, which is a more stable compound that combusts when intended, as opposed to heptane (I think it is) which may spontaneously combust earlier, causing engine knock.

Now in the old days, this may have just been unavoidable (I am not a big car nerd, so feel free to correct me), so this may be where the gas types got their “premium” naming since all engines benefited from high-octane fuels.

Nowadays, engines are designed to compensate for knock, meaning higher octane doesn’t do much, if anything. But since higher octane doesn’t hurt the car, gas stations keep the premium labeling because hey…why not pretend it’s higher quality to get you to spend more? Capitalism is a disease.

The opposite is NOT true: if your engine needs high-octane fuel then using lower grade fuel can damage the engine and harm performance/efficiency. Again, not a car nerd, so these cars may be more niche for people like Payne hobbyists, but check before buying so you aren’t stuck with a vehicle that demands expensive fuel.

This has been your friendly lesson on fuel :eng101: Car geeks, feel free to correct me on anything.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Vargo posted:

We had the mandates for all of SIX WEEKS you stupid hateful gently caress. We're losing the mandates and making the city less safe for everyone because a handful of restaurant owners complained. They got what they loving wanted and here you are, drawing the opposite of reality with non-descript logos that look an awful lot like actual restaurants in Philadelphia, but just different enough that you don't implicate them.

I know it's because he's local to me, but I might hate Stiglitch more than any other person in this thread.

I'm not a finance ghoul or whatever the formal term is, but I appreciate the "20 years out of business" grafitto being front and center. Really sells the idea that six weeks of measures is the one thing that killed these restaurants.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"A chill wind: Storm Eunice and Vladimir Putin – The Russian president blows in under a false flag"

Sunday Telegraph:

Ukraine crisis: Europe faces one of its most perilous situations since the early 20th century, Truss warns

Matt:

Boris Johnson: Ukraine kindergarten shelling is false-flag operation

Sunday Times:

Mail on Sunday:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

E: oh sorry that would be from a couple of years ago I assume

Please remove the key text as above or this will be a false positive for this year’s nominations.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

It's windy! :fart:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Pants Donkey posted:

Fun fact: gas (petrol, if you’re nasty) grades do not necessarily mean better performance or efficiency. The grade pertains to octane levels, which is a more stable compound that combusts when intended, as opposed to heptane (I think it is) which may spontaneously combust earlier, causing engine knock.

Now in the old days, this may have just been unavoidable (I am not a big car nerd, so feel free to correct me), so this may be where the gas types got their “premium” naming since all engines benefited from high-octane fuels.

Nowadays, engines are designed to compensate for knock, meaning higher octane doesn’t do much, if anything. But since higher octane doesn’t hurt the car, gas stations keep the premium labeling because hey…why not pretend it’s higher quality to get you to spend more? Capitalism is a disease.

The opposite is NOT true: if your engine needs high-octane fuel then using lower grade fuel can damage the engine and harm performance/efficiency. Again, not a car nerd, so these cars may be more niche for people like Payne hobbyists, but check before buying so you aren’t stuck with a vehicle that demands expensive fuel.

This has been your friendly lesson on fuel :eng101: Car geeks, feel free to correct me on anything.

This pretty much holds true. But one thing I'll add is that in the early days of car automobiles, when it was just pure gasoline, GM wanted to figure out a way to get rid of the knocking. They hired a chemist to figure out a way named Thomas Midgley who found that added lead to gas would stop of it. Of course, ethanol would too, but anyone could make ethanol, so GM went with the lead route. Humans have known since the Romans that lead has been bad for you, but hey - it was profitable!

Of course, all the workers at the factory got lead poisoning, Midgley himself got it but still kept promoting it, and it wasn't until the 90s that we banned lead from gasoline permanently.

Then if that wasn't enough, he went and developed freon, which ended up being an environmental disaster due to it's ozone depleting capabilities.

Anyway, Thomas Midgley is one of history's greatest monsters.

SetSliRol
Apr 30, 2021

"The power of the Marfalump idea is it's one, simple idea. It's not about Pepsi or Star Wars. It's about a character that loves both."

As Grimdude said Heller is a loving coward, but this is missing the next few panels where the dude on the left goes home angrily in a huff and notices that the weird cough he's had for a few days is starting to hurt his throat more and more.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The level of notoriety Thomas Midgely has on these forums vs. the rest of the world is one of my favorite things about SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

After The War posted:

The level of notoriety Thomas Midgely has on these forums vs. the rest of the world is one of my favorite things about SA.
Seems like people involved with cars beyond making them are evil or hosed up. Ford was a Nazi and stole credit for the things unions accomplished, you got Midgely, there’s of course the decades-long campaign to stifle alternate energy sources because profits > problems that won’t matter til you’re dead, and poo poo like the Pinto debacle.