Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

I actually haven't tried with two elective duchies. It probably still works but I can't vouch for it. I usually just set the main to elective and the secondary is left on partition for no particular reason.

It does, I always do two when I'm a duke still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Celebrating the joining of the Occitan and Castilian peoples with a new name that reflects our now shared culture.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I'm really starting to wonder if they changed something about murder rates? I've been murdered a lot. Most recently by a distant cousin who I had just landed, liked me, and didn't have claims on me (was fighting in the Liberty war against me though, so could just be an outgrowth of faction madness), but also there's been many attempts by randoms from the next continent over; maybe I captured them in a raid at one point and released them?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

THE BAR posted:

Feels a bit bad that you can't get a CB to release your daughter from some Norse concubine pen - whether she wants to leave or not.

This has always bugged me, too. Back in CK2 when there was the Game of Thrones mod, did that allow this? Because "breaking up a marriage that I interpreted as an unwanted kidnapping" is literally the backstory of that setting.

What's even crazier is you can't fix this if you "kidnap" them, either. Think about how batshit crazy that is.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Weren’t wars to release hostages / concubines in ck2? Though I don’t think they ever worked quite right

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

PittTheElder posted:

I'm really starting to wonder if they changed something about murder rates? I've been murdered a lot. Most recently by a distant cousin who I had just landed, liked me, and didn't have claims on me (was fighting in the Liberty war against me though, so could just be an outgrowth of faction madness), but also there's been many attempts by randoms from the next continent over; maybe I captured them in a raid at one point and released them?

Dunno if this is the case for you specifically but several sourt positions are incredibly dangerous if they are involved in a murder plot against you. Incidentally, these are the same positions that offer you the best protection against incoming murder plots. Positions like your doctor, cup bearer, and body guards can apparently swing success chance greatly. I never have anyone in those positions that don't have like +80 opinion or something. If it's a good doctor then I'll take them but I pump them full of money and try to sway them if I can. Maybe you either don't have enough men in those positions, or have men who don't like you in those positions and the increased success chance is tempting the AI into more stabbings?

I only came back in 1.5 so I can't say if it has changed but it hasn't been that often.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I saw the warning, and I've been deliberately avoiding filling those spots if the person didn't love me. Though I'm curious if it's because people with 80+ rep will still happily murder you (as they seem to do with factions) or if it's that I'm lacking defense against hostile actions because those slots are empty...

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah I saw the warning, and I've been deliberately avoiding filling those spots if the person didn't love me. Though I'm curious if it's because people with 80+ rep will still happily murder you (as they seem to do with factions) or if it's that I'm lacking defense against hostile actions because those slots are empty...

Court amenities have a huge boost to agent acceptance, along with being in an intrigue court, and then having high court grandeur gives a large positive opinion modifier, which also makes agents more likely to join. As for success, vassals of your target add +10, powerful vassals add an additional +15, and pretty much every court position adds +30. With the DLC it's really easy to get 95% success from just a few people joining.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

History thread darling Bret Devereaux in with his thoughts on Royal Court: https://acoup.blog/2022/02/18/miscellanea-thoughts-on-ckiii-royal-court/

wit
Jul 26, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Just a thing on this. You have access on each character profile to not just how much money a character has, but how much is coming in each month. So if say your bodyguard suddenly has a big jump in gold and only has your court wage coming in, he's been paid off by someone. Impossible to catch on anything but slowest setting, but if you check how much they have when you hire them you can reasonably figure out if they could have acquired that money on their own by eyeballing it.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

PittTheElder posted:

History thread darling Bret Devereaux in with his thoughts on Royal Court: https://acoup.blog/2022/02/18/miscellanea-thoughts-on-ckiii-royal-court/

A great post on how RC transforms the game more into an RPG and injects much-needed life other than just painting the map. Quite often I find myself checking to make sure not to piss off powerful vassals especially early into a monarch's tenure or if there is a troublesome rear end in a top hat that I haven't found a way to get rid of yet. Some of these +20 opinion decisions can mean allowing you to hold offensive wars or commit necessary tyrannical actions and keep critical vassals well above the threshold where they would rebel or join trouble makers.

As an aside, keep a jester around. Make sure it's a rival. Then make him ride a bear. 40% chance to get maimed or killed!

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
The wives of my sons often start wandering. Is this a known bug? It also means that if they get kids they are also wandering.

Edit: My son now inherited and his wife came back. However their son is still wandering and visiting other courts at the nice age of 2. And I can't invite him to my court. I count this as gamebreaking.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 19, 2022

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Hryme posted:

The wives of my sons often start wandering. Is this a known bug? It also means that if they get kids they are also wandering.

When you say wandering, do you mean going off to work in another court? What she owns or inherits isn't what your son owns. Seems screwy but if you do a lot of marrying off for prestige and alliance the spouse will sometimes be in line to inherit something better than sitting in your court. It doesn't sound realistic, likely because in the real world those eventualities would have been factored in before agreeing to marry off somewhere. If the game added a fully realistic version of that your head would implode.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
No she was the sister of a baron and didn't inherit anything. My son married her when he turned 16 and she was 18. I swayed her to get her to convert to catholicism and then didn't look at her until 6 years later when I wondered why they had no kids yet. When I looked at them I noticed they did have a kid but he was wandering with his mother and I didn't get any notification that he was born. I have no clue why she started wandering. With wandering I mean she and the kid are guests at other courts. Not officially connected to any court.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Hryme posted:

No she was the sister of a baron and didn't inherit anything. My son married her when he turned 16 and she was 18. I swayed her to get her to convert to catholicism and then didn't look at her until 6 years later when I wondered why they had no kids yet. When I looked at them I noticed they did have a kid but he was wandering with his mother and I didn't get any notification that he was born. I have no clue why she started wandering. With wandering I mean she and the kid are guests at other courts. Not officially connected to any court.

I’m sorry, maybe it’s because he was rushed into this - but your son is a bad husband.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

They’re definitely up and leaving for no apparent reason more often after the expansion patch. I usually find them in their fathers’ courts after I notice that I can’t educate my grandchildren.

Edit: My half-assed theory is that they're accepting a court invitation from their dads and then wandering like usual if they aren't given something to do. There isn't a hard restriction on someone else inviting your son's wife if your son doesn't have a job, even if he's your heir.

No Pants fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 19, 2022

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Hryme posted:

Sorry I completely forgot that wandering is a mechanic when I took it as a word! I've only started playing ck3 again since the dlc. Reading through the files now and oh god, it just looks like people can be very easily convinced to come to court now if its pimped out on top of other things like relative, culture etc. Haven't noticed this happen to me yet but sounds like shes partying it up in CK3: Cribs. Is she at P Diddy's?

wit fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 19, 2022

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I did noticed that is much easier to invite people to your court now, specially at high grandeur levels

Now I can go into the list of claimants for pretty much any kingdom and find at least one (usually more) claimants willing to come to my court, which makes expansion a lot easier

Before that rarely worked so I had to use "invite claimants" and hope some good ones appear

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

After 40 hours I finally noticed that you could set an education focus for your children, I had just assumed they dropped that from CK2. I dum sometimes.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

dead gay comedy forums posted:

seems more bugfixing is still required right now?
Well, it crashes less often than since release but it's still crashing from time to time when entering court for me. Still it's a lot better than before. Some events to fix too.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 19, 2022

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

After three generations and nearly a hundred years, I finally created the Kingdom of Mann and the Isles!

(Just noticed the German Byzantines, not sure when that happened.)

I started as the Duke of Jorvik, but I didn't make elevating the kingdom a goal until a bit too late in his life, so he died 10k fame short of Living Legend. My next character only lived for another ten years. But his son inherited at 19, so I focused on getting all the positive health modifiers and prestige bonuses I could and went to town raiding for the next 50 years. I realized I couldn't expand past a certain point without getting a lot of penalties, so I ended up having to conquer territory and then make them independent. Apparently there's no truce with that, so you can just immediately start fighting them again. So at age 75 I get the warning that I'm going to die within a year and I'm still about 1000 fame short. I have just enough cash to raise a runestone and create a few duchies, and I'm the king of Mann! Which there is no achievement for apparently, but whatever.

The bonuses are pretty great. It takes two months to build normal stuff, plus the 20 increase in development, plus my own pirate army of 7500.

Except I'm set to lose 95% of my land in a few months when I die because it switched my capital duchy from Jorvik to Mann, which is one county, and I have enough land for the kingdom of England to form, which will go to one of my other sons. My heir will have a kingdom of one :(. I could take all the land back pretty easily due to my huge pirate army, but I think I'm just going to disinherit my four other sons since I have more than enough renown.

Also, I've barely engaged with all the new culture stuff since I've been so focused on getting Mann, but I have a poo poo ton of prestige that's going to vanish very soon so now's the time to do it I guess. I'm currently the head of Norse culture with a whole two Norse counties because everyone else has diverged/hybridized. I'm thinking of hybridizing with the Anglo-Saxons which costs next to nothing and then reforming it to include either Stalwart Defenders or Castle Keepers. Culinary Artists seems good too for the renown, but I don't have any farmlands.

I think I'll try to form the North Sea Empire after this. You need to control all the kingdoms for 30 years on a single character, not just overall right?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

wizardofloneliness posted:

Except I'm set to lose 95% of my land in a few months when I die because it switched my capital duchy from Jorvik to Mann, which is one county, and I have enough land for the kingdom of England to form, which will go to one of my other sons. My heir will have a kingdom of one :(. I could take all the land back pretty easily due to my huge pirate army, but I think I'm just going to disinherit my four other sons since I have more than enough renown.

Also, I've barely engaged with all the new culture stuff since I've been so focused on getting Mann, but I have a poo poo ton of prestige that's going to vanish very soon so now's the time to do it I guess. I'm currently the head of Norse culture with a whole two Norse counties because everyone else has diverged/hybridized. I'm thinking of hybridizing with the Anglo-Saxons which costs next to nothing and then reforming it to include either Stalwart Defenders or Castle Keepers. Culinary Artists seems good too for the renown, but I don't have any farmlands.

I think I'll try to form the North Sea Empire after this. You need to control all the kingdoms for 30 years on a single character, not just overall right?

SCANDINAVIAN ELECTIVE. Burn all that prestige slapping that on any title you care about (honestly your primary is usually enough) and make sure your kid gets it all via hooks. You don't even need hooks if your vassals love you a lot! It's a small bit of work for saving a ton of ingame resources that reconquering or disinheriting costs.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

You need to be king of Norway, Denmark and England for 30 years and control the east coast of England. If your realm reaches a big enough size you can get the decision to create an empire which is not the one related to the achievement. Enjoy dealing with pissed off Catholics who don’t like being ruled by the chosen of Odin.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Serephina posted:

SCANDINAVIAN ELECTIVE. Burn all that prestige slapping that on any title you care about (honestly your primary is usually enough) and make sure your kid gets it all via hooks. You don't even need hooks if your vassals love you a lot! It's a small bit of work for saving a ton of ingame resources that reconquering or disinheriting costs.

The problem with that is I’m currently in an ally’s war so I can’t add any laws. I wasn’t able to form England beforehand because that would’ve cost me forming Mann. I don’t have enough cash to form England right now anyway, but confederate partition will take care of that for me. I really should’ve just added Scandinavian elective to my other duchies beforehand, but it totally slipped my mind and now I don’t have enough time to set things up since I only have eight months or less before I die.

I guess I’ll just eat the disinherit costs this time and set up Scandinavian elective as soon as I can so I don’t have to deal with this the next time around.

Edit: I’m so close to getting the achievement for filling out all three trees for a lifestyle, but not quite. If only my guy was a genius instead of merely intelligent…

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 19, 2022

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Lol I forgot to apply Scandinavian Elective to all my kingdom titles and then died when I was two counties from being able to form the Russian Empire. Now I’ve spent multiple generations trying to reconquer everything and now all my player characters don’t have Norse culture and are infirm by their mid 40s :negative:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I guess I’ll just eat the disinherit costs this time and set up Scandinavian elective as soon as I can so I don’t have to deal with this the next time around.

Why bother disinheriting? If you want it that bad just go conquer it back...

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

After three generations and nearly a hundred years, I finally created the Kingdom of Mann and the Isles!

(Just noticed the German Byzantines, not sure when that happened.)

I started as the Duke of Jorvik, but I didn't make elevating the kingdom a goal until a bit too late in his life, so he died 10k fame short of Living Legend. My next character only lived for another ten years. But his son inherited at 19, so I focused on getting all the positive health modifiers and prestige bonuses I could and went to town raiding for the next 50 years. I realized I couldn't expand past a certain point without getting a lot of penalties, so I ended up having to conquer territory and then make them independent. Apparently there's no truce with that, so you can just immediately start fighting them again. So at age 75 I get the warning that I'm going to die within a year and I'm still about 1000 fame short. I have just enough cash to raise a runestone and create a few duchies, and I'm the king of Mann! Which there is no achievement for apparently, but whatever.

The bonuses are pretty great. It takes two months to build normal stuff, plus the 20 increase in development, plus my own pirate army of 7500.

If you reform your culture, consider adding Industrious. With how fast you can build in Mann, you'll end up with a huge amount of development and tech super fast.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Why bother disinheriting? If you want it that bad just go conquer it back...

I’m tired of fighting, man. I think I’m going to disinherit two of them, let the remaining two inherit everything and then just kill one of them because he doesn’t have any kids and he sucks anyway.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Having run into this problem with Norse supremacy before, I kinda felt there was a problem in that their Culture is mostly undeveloped tribal shitholes and so you're really working uphill to try and get any new innovations/tech going. Given the new culture mechanics, what's the 'smart' way of going about things, especially in context of uplifting the Isle of Mann? Do you hybridize and forge your own culture, keep it on Mann only for a few generations while techboosting up? I've skipped all of the dev diaries on the new content so I'm sure I'm missing a few subtleties.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Serephina posted:

Do you hybridize and forge your own culture, keep it on Mann only for a few generations while techboosting up? I've skipped all of the dev diaries on the new content so I'm sure I'm missing a few subtleties.

In my Manx game, I spread it to a few counties with unique buildings, ideally coastal for the tradeports. London, Gotland, Genoa, Rome, Cagliari, and Venice right now. The plan is to steal Constantinople next.

For the culture itself, add Industrious to help boost development even higher. If you have the cash, you can keep replacing buildings to boost development. The mine in Cagliari helps a lot with being able to afford it.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Serephina posted:

Having run into this problem with Norse supremacy before, I kinda felt there was a problem in that their Culture is mostly undeveloped tribal shitholes and so you're really working uphill to try and get any new innovations/tech going. Given the new culture mechanics, what's the 'smart' way of going about things, especially in context of uplifting the Isle of Mann? Do you hybridize and forge your own culture, keep it on Mann only for a few generations while techboosting up? I've skipped all of the dev diaries on the new content so I'm sure I'm missing a few subtleties.

Used to be I'd convert to Norman culture to get out of the Norse hole while keeping most of the mechanics, now I think a hybrid culture with whatever your local culture is would be a good idea.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 20, 2022

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

pardon??

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Those Christian prudes need a manual on how to shag clearly.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
...so you funded that, right?

So at age 75 I get the warning that I'm going to die within a year and I'm still about 1000 fame short. I have just enough cash to raise a runestone and create a few duchies, and I'm the king of Mann! Which there is no achievement for apparently, but whatever.

The achievement relating to Mann and the Isles is intended to be, I think, King of All The Isles. Yes, you need to do quite a bit more for KoAtI but Mann is a huge step in that direction. Mann itself is loving awesome as a capital but I lost it at one point in a succession squabble, and when I got it back it didn't have the tag that let you build stuff cheap and quick :( Still had all the slots for buildings and the development, though.

I did the North Sea Empire from the other direction, as Denmark, and yes, it's 30 years as one character. I don't know if it's because I didn't know the mechanics as well at that point but man that was probably the hardest one I've done.

I finally formed the Roman Empire in my current game and have dismembered most of the Byzantines, conquered Egypt and the Levant, and taken a few duchies off of both France and Germany. At my current rate I think I can get to the borders of the empire under Trajan by 1453 (it's like 1380 right now), but I have no idea how I'm going to spread my court language everywhere by the end of the game. I mean, I'm far and away the most powerful empire on earth and only like 5 other courts speak Italian, so I presume that 'Lingua Franca' is basically a world conquest achievement.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

lady wants to write a book about how having sex with other ladies is fuckin' awesome, throw gold at her

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I got the legacy perk that lets you earn gold from kills in battles and it seems kinda inconsistent on when it works. I noticed that when I'm raiding and fighting defenders it'll always proc, but during wars where my vassals have their own stacks running around, that's when it starts to not proc at times. I was thinking it's related to whether I'm the commander in charge of the battle or not but sometimes even when I clearly instigate the fight and command the battle, it doesn't work if one of my allies join in. Wonder what's up...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I’m tired of fighting, man. I think I’m going to disinherit two of them, let the remaining two inherit everything and then just kill one of them because he doesn’t have any kids and he sucks anyway.

Well that's fair enough. One more thing I just remembered is that as Asatru you do get one free disinherit basically, as long as they aren't landed you can appoint one of your sons to be your religious advisor, and that makes them theocratic and unable to inherit anything.

Albino Squirrel posted:

The achievement relating to Mann and the Isles is intended to be, I think, King of All The Isles.

I agree that that's probably the intent, particularly if you start as a tribal, but honestly I feel like taking Haesteinn into Sicily is a way stronger start. Get set up in Palermo and Cagliari, raid around the med where all the best raid targets are, load up on VVs, conquer Normandy to pick up all the French innovations for free, then finish up with Isles.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 20, 2022

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

she wants to write yaoi, dump all of your gold on her

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Crusader Kings 3: Fujoshi Funding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Albino Squirrel posted:

...so you funded that, right?

Sure as hell did

This made me laugh. NO poo poo?

I dedicated it to my wife as an apology for the dedication in the compendium of torture. Look, I didn't know what that book was going to be about, this one works!

(yes, my wife is bi)

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 20, 2022