Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Tiggum posted:

I've moved using friends & family members' vehicles, I've moved with a hired truck but loading/driving it ourselves, and I've hired movers. And since hiring movers I will never, ever, ever go back to either of the other two options. Just having a couple of dudes show up in a truck, load it, drive it to the destination, and unload everything there, with no need for any direction or assistance, is absolutely worth paying for.

I'm sure there are, in theory, good moving companies, but between the one that completely flaked out on me the day of the move and the one that (a) took an hour and a half to try to park their truck, (b) left like half my stuff behind and (c) charged me something like three times their original estimate for the privilege of leaving half my stuff behind, my faith is, shall we say, shaken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Brawnfire posted:

Coulda said no, rear end in a top hat

What makes you think I didn't after the first time

There's a difference between asking for help and taking advantage

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I would simply relish the opportunity to give a friend a hand but everyone's different I guess

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Group projects.

Decided to go back to university at the ripe ole age of 31 for a M.ed. Generally doing ok despite distance learning being dull as all hell but the amount of group projects is dragging it down.

Especially today when the other two people in the group wanted to have a Zoom on a Friday night for some reason I agreed and we decided on a 20:00 meeting. This was an hour ago and there's no sign of the meeting yet.

Seriously considering just bowing out of the course altogether.

I'm pretty sure I've never been part of a group project that taught me anything other than that group projects suck.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

Also the way all your friends turn into alternate, flaky versions of themselves.

The common element here is you.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

oh brilliant

Hey guys did you know that all my friends have me in common?

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 23:50 on Feb 18, 2022

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'm pretty sure I've never been part of a group project that taught me anything other than that group projects suck.
Fuuuuuck group projects, seriously. Especially if there are way too many of them. Congratulations on going back to school, but I would not blame you for dropping that course.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

oh brilliant

Hey guys did you know that all my friends have me in common?

That's so sad :(

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Misery loves company, or we wouldn't have a forum

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Group projects.

Decided to go back to university at the ripe ole age of 31 for a M.ed. Generally doing ok despite distance learning being dull as all hell but the amount of group projects is dragging it down.

Especially today when the other two people in the group wanted to have a Zoom on a Friday night for some reason I agreed and we decided on a 20:00 meeting. This was an hour ago and there's no sign of the meeting yet.

Group projects are dumb unless you are a bunch of scientists peer-reviewing each other’s papers/experiments. Or learning a new language.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The course in question is only 5 ECT units which is basically within the margin of error and can be semi-safely dropped. This entire thing is a plan C from the plan B of the day job.

I've got another course that's 10 units that sounds more viable and I've managed to convince the professor to make at least a couple of the group projects in that individual.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I didn't have many complaints about group projects at uni. Sometimes someone wouldn't pull their weight so I had to do "more than my share", sometimes someone would want to take over and have everything done their way - so I let them. That's all fine. One time though, we had to give a presentation as a group and one guy just seemed incapable of understanding the concept of plagiarism.

He saw that one of our other group members had taken some photos to add to some of the slides and decided that every slide needed a picture. So he just googled some. When I pointed out that using someone else's work without asking or crediting them is plagiarism, a thing we'd been repeatedly told not to do, he honestly didn't seem to see the problem. Eventually, to appease me, he agreed to include image credits. So next time I looked at the project I saw he'd gone through and added "Source: Google Image Search" to every slide. :eng99:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My worst group project was in sociology.

"Go out and experience a social event that is unusual for you/makes you uncomfortable and write about the experience"

Straightforward enough,

Except with four college students from different parts of the globe trying to agree on what's an unusual and noteworthy personal experience.

I mean, realistically it was the group itself but we couldn't turn that in

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I actually did do a group project in a Communications class where we just complained about doing stupid group powerpoint projects, and how bullshit the whole course was for students in a biotech program.

We failed the project, to this day I still don't have a degree, but drat if it didn't feel good.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

If you go to Toothpaste for Dinner but don't actually do anything on the page (as I do when I open it as part of a bunch of pages I read every morning and don't read it first), it eventually redirects to Worst Things for Sale and, nine times out of ten, grays out the Back button on the browser. t:mad:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I'm happy the ReTuRn oF ThIs TrEnd was short-lived. See you in again in ten years!

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Killingyouguy! posted:

I would simply relish the opportunity to give a friend a handy but everyone's different I guess

Me, too!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

My worst group project was in sociology.

"Go out and experience a social event that is unusual for you/makes you uncomfortable and write about the experience"

Straightforward enough,

Except with four college students from different parts of the globe trying to agree on what's an unusual and noteworthy personal experience.

I mean, realistically it was the group itself but we couldn't turn that in

You missed an opportunity by not writing about the group project itself

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Stock sound effects for things that don't make noise.

Like, how TV snakes are constantly hissing or worse, making rattlesnake noise despite not being rattlesnakes. Or how waving a sword in the air has to be accompanied with *shiiiiiing*

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Like, how TV snakes are constantly hissing or worse, making rattlesnake noise despite not being rattlesnakes. Or how waving a sword in the air has to be accompanied with *shiiiiiing*

Or the series of clicks and clunks that all guns make whenever they're touched, picked up, aimed, or looked at.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Tiggum posted:

Or the series of clicks and clunks that all guns make whenever they're touched, picked up, aimed, or looked at.

Or how every tick of any graphic on a computer monitor is accompanied by a chirp.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Generic cat sounds are the worst, because it's like they recorded 3 sounds from one cat in 1976 and called it good.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Tiggum posted:

Movie knives are loud as poo poo when ever someone draws/opens one or makes a movement with it. It's like they think the audience won't understand what it is without add sound effects.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Iron Crowned posted:

Generic cat sounds are the worst, because it's like they recorded 3 sounds from one cat in 1976 and called it good.

To be fair they probably lost so many foley artists TO that angered cat that they were like "OK, let's never do that again..."

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Anyone who's ever played with a ferret will :argh: at the ridiculous noises any ferret on TV or in a movie is shown to make.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The cat one is a great example because there's plenty of youtube videos of actual cats meowing, designed to entertain yourself by watching your irl cat flip out searching for the mystery cat emanating from the speakers. Meanwhile they give 0 shits about TV cat noises.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It's amazing how long a blister sticks around after a quarter second brushing against a hot pan.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Cats don't sound like cats on film. You gotta use horses.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Imagined posted:

Cats don't sound like cats on film. You gotta use horses.

You get more than two cats running around upstairs it sounds like a loving Western

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

You get more than two cats running around upstairs it sounds like a loving Western

We have three cats and until recently a labrador. I'm truly shocked the downstairs neighbours never banged on the ceiling or called the noise cops.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Rats are constantly chittering on TV. Any of the dudes I've had as pets have been pretty quiet unless fighting, but on TV they sound like tiny car alarms.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Disco Pope posted:

Rats are constantly chittering on TV. Any of the dudes I've had as pets have been pretty quiet unless fighting, but on TV they sound like tiny car alarms.

It's never the noise they really make, either. I've heard them squeak and do this thing called bruxing where they chatter their teeth together, but they only do that when happy.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Aw, rats bruxing their teeth

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I took care of a friend’s rats over the entire month of December a few years ago, and those things would not shut the gently caress up. I loved them, even taught them a few tricks!
Darn it, now I miss them.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Watched this the other day, the wail of the common loon gets used all over the place and mostly way incorrectly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVFBUIGfcJk

Tiggum posted:

I've seen an AK-47 pumped like a shotgun on some vaguely-sci-fi TV show lmao

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

Group projects.

what they should teach you is that to make them work you have to carefully manage them and set up a structure so everyone does their job but the instructions usually assume you already know this and dont give an example of how to do it

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Streaming video keeps buffering over and over on my TV and I want to scream

Watching a show was the last not-broken part of life I had and now it's broken!

Am I seriously downloading driver updates for a television set right now, I just

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

FFT posted:

Watched this the other day, the wail of the common loon gets used all over the place and mostly way incorrectly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVFBUIGfcJk

I've seen an AK-47 pumped like a shotgun on some vaguely-sci-fi TV show lmao

In a similar vein, every single raptor in movies/tv/whatever makes the cry of a red tail hawk. That "screeeeeeeeeeee" sound. I'm sure you've heard it. Often plays while the camera pans over a desert landscape to tell you that you're in the desert?

Yeah, only red tail hawks make that sound. Peregrine falcons make kind of a low chirping sound. Bald eagles? Those fuckers sound like seagulls.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

Streaming video keeps buffering over and over on my TV and I want to scream

Watching a show was the last not-broken part of life I had and now it's broken!

Am I seriously downloading driver updates for a television set right now, I just

Streaming on the TV inevitably breaks down after an hour or two. Restart, it goes again for another hour or two. Same exact content on my loving laptop, it powers through for days. My partner's desktop will be playing Office reruns until the squid people discover our nuclear waste sites. I think the TVs hate us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Streaming on the TV inevitably breaks down after an hour or two. Restart, it goes again for another hour or two. Same exact content on my loving laptop, it powers through for days. My partner's desktop will be playing Office reruns until the squid people discover our nuclear waste sites. I think the TVs hate us.

The penalty you pay for being too lazy to dig out a HDMI cable.