Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
The only bad part about Titan Tails was that he didn't stay like that for the rest of the comic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Weird that Coleen O'Shaughnessey doesn't get a credit despite Tails being on the poster (granted she’s not exactly a big name actress but I hope this isn’t a bad omen in regards to how much focus the character will be getting in the movie)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 17, 2022

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

And then he saved the day by absorbing mammoth mogul's powers into his rear end.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

KingKalamari posted:

I've been meaning to ask: What's a good jumping-on point for someone who likes the looks of the Yardley/Flynn era of Sonic comics but has little to no interest in the earlier stuff? Is picking up at issue 160 an okay approach? Or is there enough continuity cruft from the earlier comics kicking around that it's going to end up being confusing for a new reader?

flynn spends the first chunk of his run doing some major much needed cleanup so while things are a bit breakneck for a few stories, i don't think it'd be too confusing for a new reader to start at 160. the darkest storm story is where most of that cleanup is and is probably the most confusing out of context

edit: actually yeah, if you want a truly clean start then issue 252, the big continuity reboot, is your best bet. or just go with idw which carries nothing over from archie

Looper fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 17, 2022

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

KingKalamari posted:

I've been meaning to ask: What's a good jumping-on point for someone who likes the looks of the Yardley/Flynn era of Sonic comics but has little to no interest in the earlier stuff? Is picking up at issue 160 an okay approach? Or is there enough continuity cruft from the earlier comics kicking around that it's going to end up being confusing for a new reader?

IDW sonic probably

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Larryb posted:

Weird that Coleen O'Shaughnessey doesn't get a credit despite Tails being on the poster (granted she’s not exactly a big name actress but I hope this isn’t a bad omen in regards to how much focus the character will be getting in the movie)

Tails is a pretty big focus of the trailers and his tails are straight up a part of the logo. I don't think it's gonna be an issue of Tails not being a big factor in the movie, just dumb hollywood contract poo poo I imagine. Cyclops' wife's name isn't on there either, and she's quite small on the poster, but I imagine she''ll get about as much time as she did in the first movie.

Looking back at the first movie poster, Ben Schwartz, the voice of the character the movie is about, isn't listed. Just Mardsen and Jim Carrey. Tails' voice actor not only not being a big hollywood star, but primarily (I think??) a voice actor is probably gonna keep her off the posters in future movies too. I'm just glad they stuck with her voice instead of getting a hollywood actor

edit: I'm also curious if some chunks of the movie are gonna take place in another dimension. The first movie didn't include any fantastical elements that aren't Sonic himself and his rings. But the trailer has a whole place where the Master Emerald is kept and I wonder if they're gonna have that be in our real life earth or if it's gonna be in another dimension

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 17, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fair point, but there’s also been a lot of Knuckles focus as of late as well (including this version of the character getting his own miniseries). I just hope my boy Tails gets some love as well

Also Tika Sumpter is credited on the poster, just on the very bottom

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 17, 2022

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Man, look at Fleetway's Robotnik, he started out somewhat normal sized then just got bigger and more menacing with every issue until he looked like he devoured babies for breakfast:

Perfection, everything else was a step backwards.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

That loving Sned posted:

My favourite is still Robotnik from Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. He's got the most expressive design and his voice makes listening to him lose his temper just so much fun.

If you could read my mind you'd have to sift through all of the iteachvader videos and songs stuck in there.

My second favourite is Eggman from SA2. He still comes across as the best villain despite not having a Death Egg, massive fleet of airships or even a load of badniks. He gets his hands dirty and even works with two other villains in a highly dysfunctional relationship where they're all trying to double-cross each other.

He's still funny in a lot of ways, like his goofy animations in the Chao garden, his quotes for each ranking and all the weird untranslated voice samples.

Robotnik from Sonic the Comic is a great balance between the two. They're covering a great story arc in the podcast where he uploads a copy of his mind to a robot, and can't see the obvious flaw that it's not going to want to serve under him.

What's the podcast?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

What's the podcast?

https://stctp.wigglehe.com/

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It covers everything in the comics including the news and adverts and stuff, so it's like bathing in my own childhood memories.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Eggman is a feminist and is happy for Amy going from a damsel in distress to a hero in her own right every bit as capable as Sonic when she shows up.

Happy and loving terrified. He did not need another do gooder foiling his plans.

Good for her, though.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I’m friends with eggman’s little brother and he told me he’s not terrified.actually

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Someone was posting Sonic the Comic in the webcomics thread and then in GBS for a while back.

There's a lot of extended side stories featuring Knuckles with a various serious and wide face, and a loving hilarious pirate who looks like he walked straight out of 2000AD. (Probably because that's where the artists came from) Also a riff on the Mario Bros combined with the Marx Bros. And Sonic is often a loving rear end in a top hat.

Mikedawson posted:

On account of being a 30-year-old multimedia IP that has gone in many different directions, many Sonic fans have specific ideas of the "definitive" versions of characters in their heads, and how close that is to their current or past depictions varies. Sometimes that idea may come from a video game, sometimes a cartoon, sometimes it might not even be from official material, but fan works.

This is one of the better explanations for why the Sonic fanbase is so shithouse-rat crazy, especially since so many of those fans think their 'definitive' version is obvious without saying and everything else is clearly wrong. Also many are extremely nostalgia poisoned.

Also wasn't Karl Bollers the one who turned the comic into a furry soap opera with his waifu Mina Mongose being Sonic's one true wuv until he finally relented and wrote her a mongoose boyfriend? I did hear Bollers and Penders in particular were at each others' throats. Also practically everyone had some kind of magical destiny poo poo going on.

Macaluso posted:

edit: I'm also curious if some chunks of the movie are gonna take place in another dimension. The first movie didn't include any fantastical elements that aren't Sonic himself and his rings. But the trailer has a whole place where the Master Emerald is kept and I wonder if they're gonna have that be in our real life earth or if it's gonna be in another dimension

Like a lot of adaptations that get scared of having anything too interesting in them first time around, the sequel probably is going to go full hog into the magical otherworld stuff. (besides, the first movie is basically a stealth Eggman origin story) They might do a bunch of stuff about how the worlds are connected, there's some oddly Norse themes with the ring of worlds and connections between them.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

and a loving hilarious pirate who looks like he walked straight out of 2000AD. (Probably because that's where the artists came from) Also a riff on the Mario Bros combined with the Marx Bros. And Sonic is often a loving rear end in a top hat.

Captain Plunder, who eventually got a strip of his own because he's absolutely amazing:

STC occasionally went in hard with its big beefy men.

The Marxio brothers worked surprisingly well too as a very unlikely mashup of two wildly different things:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also wasn't Karl Bollers the one who turned the comic into a furry soap opera with his waifu Mina Mongose being Sonic's one true wuv until he finally relented and wrote her a mongoose boyfriend? I did hear Bollers and Penders in particular were at each others' throats. Also practically everyone had some kind of magical destiny poo poo going on.

sort of, he's the one who had to write the stories but mina and the love triangle were all the editor justin gabrie's ideas. bollers' writing was kind of all over the place, so you'd get stories where mina throws herself in front of a gun to protect her rival in love, or cheesy high school stuff, or a bored and unfulfilled sonic struggling to find his place in a post robotnik society, or slapstick shenanigans reminiscent of the gallagher days, or high concept star trek plots. his work could be very hit or miss, but i always got the vibe that he was at least trying

and yeah the back and forth between bollers and penders over what to name knuckles' new baby brother, is good

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Captain Plunder, who eventually got a strip of his own because he's absolutely amazing:

The Marxio brothers worked surprisingly well too as a very unlikely mashup of two wildly different things:

Amy's so happy to be here haha

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

A classic Mystic Cave Pirate Sea Shanty

https://youtu.be/Oa0giRkQdQM

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Dunno if this was posted previously, but it's a solid look at where Project 06 is up to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJMl3sa8yjU

Plenty to be done, especially with vehicles, but it's like watching a thousand rough edges gradually get sanded down.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Garrosh Hellscream trying his best to fit in and not doing well :(

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I can't get into StC. Honestly, my attempts to read it ended due to not really liking their portrayal of Sonic himself.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Electric Phantasm posted:

A classic Mystic Cave Pirate Sea Shanty

https://youtu.be/Oa0giRkQdQM

I thought this was going to be legit remix of Mystic Cave Zone in the style of a sea shanty. I am extremely let down :(

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
sonic the comic super sonic owns

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Screaming Idiot posted:

Garrosh Hellscream trying his best to fit in and not doing well :(

Yeah, that's the same zeitgeist that Blizzard stole all their ideas from. (2000AD and Warhammer shared a lot of artists I'm p sure, or at least GW began their long career of aesthetic larcerny with that)

Thing is though, you could still picture Sonic fighting a big goofy-scary pirate, and his lieutenants, the ghost of his first mate (who he shot) and a literal cartoon character in something modern.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I love StC's hairstyle for Amy. It's based on a misinterpretation of Sonic CD art but I like how it gives her a different silhouette than Sonic.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
flynn is the best Archie Sonic writer because he isn't insane but his run is also the least interesting because of it imo but it owns he is the one who came up with Scourge and penders claimed ownership because he "owns" the concept of evil sonic lol

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 19, 2022

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Man, look at Fleetway's Robotnik, he started out somewhat normal sized then just got bigger and more menacing with every issue until he looked like he devoured babies for breakfast:

Perfection, everything else was a step backwards.

:yeah: That's one of my favourite panels of the two. He's pretty imposing, like in issue 35 when he got Porker in a headlock from within his jail cell.

Nodosaur posted:

I can't get into StC. Honestly, my attempts to read it ended due to not really liking their portrayal of Sonic himself.

I really like it. Sonic's got the arrogance that comes with being basically the only one in his group with super powers. He only acts like a jerk when he doesn't need to take the situation seriously.

Pigbuster posted:

I love StC's hairstyle for Amy. It's based on a misinterpretation of Sonic CD art but I like how it gives her a different silhouette than Sonic.

The regular Classic Amy looks a little too much like just a pink Sonic, so this change makes her much more unique. She even gets her Adventure look near the end of the comic, and both really work well.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

i like it too but i like her looking like a color swapped sonic especially in hesse's style cause it highlights the old timey cartoon inspiration ala mickey mouse

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

That loving Sned posted:

I really like it. Sonic's got the arrogance that comes with being basically the only one in his group with super powers. He only acts like a jerk when he doesn't need to take the situation seriously.

It's more braggadocio than plain arrogance, most of the StC writers (especially Kitching) put in asides where Sonic doubts himself a little when others aren't watching which makes him a lot more relatable. Of course that doesn't come across in isolated panels posted to Twitter about what a dick British Sonic is :v:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That loving Sned posted:

They really went for a cocky big brother vibe and it was pretty great.

And it isn't presented as unequivocally good, he gets a lot of pushback from the rest of the cast, and part of what made their Super Sonic so good was that he was Sonic's arrogance and sense of superiority turned up to 11, so he ended up being this ever-present reminder of what Sonic could be if he let his worst traits define him, and occasionally did (against his will, but still). Scourge and now Surge have a similar role, but without the background worry of knowing that Sonic could literally turn into his worse self before your very eyes.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

StC was the loving bomb and I've always felt bad for my friends across the pond who had to put up with the Archie comics instead.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

flynn is the best Archie Sonic writer because he isn't insane but his run is also the least interesting because of it imo but it owns he is the one who came up with Scourge and penders claimed ownership because he "owns" the concept of evil sonic lol

A lot of Flynn's stuff was basically rehabilitating a ton of characters and ideas into ways people liked them, which unfortunately he then had to jettison in like, increasingly harder reboots until starting over from scratch with IDW. The cancellation was REALLY sudden- they had issues ready to go and everything. I can't imagine how frustrating that whole process must have been.

Scourge is particularly fun since he basically ends up turning in to a riff on edgy OCs- he desperately can't deal with that he has an equal and opposite who actually has not only morals but also self-confidence, and goes to the point of actually trying to make his counterparts less like Sonic's friends and circle. Sometimes violently.

That loving Sned posted:

I do hear that he's also like this in SatAM, for similar reasons; a big part of his dynamic with Sally is her trying to get Sonic to actually take things seriously.

Self-doubt and being a cocky rear end in a top hat also don't seem incompatible, does strike me as the type who's genuinely cocky but also uses it to cover up his insecurities.

In general, whenever Sonic's actually allowed to have a personality, he's invariably a hilarious jerk. Heck, even in Sonic Boom he's explicitly lazy as gently caress and desperately avoids any responsibility or hard work that doesn't involve beating up bad guys and being hailed as a hero for it.

Actually also comes to mind that's the personality they go for with Mickey Mouse in the... relatively recent shorts where Disney lets him have one for a change; going back to his VERY early characterisation of a lazy jackass who mostly makes his own trouble. (which I also say, is a surprisingly apt characterisation for Disney itself as a whole)

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I've listened to about 20 or so episodes of STCTP. Of what I've listened to, I think it's really cool learning what it was like to be a UK kid in the 90s, but I can get a little annoyed by how dismissive they are of Sonic stuff they didn't grow up with. But the most recent episode I listened to is from 2 years ago so I don't think I can give a full judgement.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The STCTP hosts don't actually hate Archists, in the same way that STC Sonic doesn't actually hate Tails.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Party Boat posted:

The STCTP hosts don't actually hate Archists, in the same way that STC Sonic doesn't actually hate Tails.

I love and hate how so much about Sonic fans is comparable to religious schisms.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I love and hate how so much about Sonic fans is comparable to religious schisms.
Ken Penders nailing a list of 95 characters he owns to SEGA's door.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That loving Sned posted:

I just couldn't get into it. He reads as too obnoxious and mean in those early issues and I can't get past them.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Sonic acting like a jerk is something I wished happened in the games more.

Yeah, the power of friendship is nice but sometimes you have to dunk on Knuckles.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
sonic has an attitude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do hear that he's also like this in SatAM, for similar reasons; a big part of his dynamic with Sally is her trying to get Sonic to actually take things seriously.

Self-doubt and being a cocky rear end in a top hat also don't seem incompatible, does strike me as the type who's genuinely cocky but also uses it to cover up his insecurities.

In general, whenever Sonic's actually allowed to have a personality, he's invariably a hilarious jerk. Heck, even in Sonic Boom he's explicitly lazy as gently caress and desperately avoids any responsibility or hard work that doesn't involve beating up bad guys and being hailed as a hero for it.

Actually also comes to mind that's the personality they go for with Mickey Mouse in the... relatively recent shorts where Disney lets him have one for a change; going back to his VERY early characterisation of a lazy jackass who mostly makes his own trouble. (which I also say, is a surprisingly apt characterisation for Disney itself as a whole)

That's why the Sonic Boom interpretation of the character is my favorite: It brings in some of the sass and sarcasm from the early American/UK interpretation, but doesn't push it quite so far as to make him seem like an unlikable jerk.

That and I just think Roger Craig Smith did a really good job voicing him.