Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Proteus Jones posted:

What model? You can get an origami style case for just about all the them (not sure about the 12" pro).

If you just want a desk stand, then something like this should work ok I would think

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Upgraded-Greater-Stability-OMOTON/dp/B08LYSTZV9

It's a 9th gen 10.2". Basically looking for a stand for a kitchen table/counter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mister Facetious posted:

Is there a recommended phone/tablet stand? Being able to also support portrait mode for an iPad (without tipping over) preferred.

I use this for like dual monitoring with my iPad Air and 15” MBP or taking a Skype call in portrait orientation. The cutout on the bottom means you can have a dongle or cord plugged in as well

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002771124894.html

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I bought a new iPad Pro 11” and Pencil on Feb 1st and got the accessory the next day, but my iPad has been stuck in an uncharacteristic for Apple delay. The delivery date was the 16th through the 23rd, so there’s still a few days to go.

It’s always possible it’s supply chain related, but I didn’t realize there was an iPad event scheduled for 3/8. Any chance Apple ran out of iPads and I’m going to have to wait for whatever is being refreshed?

And yeah. Great move. Buy an iPad for full price more than a month before a potential update. Maybe Apple is doing me a favor making me wait.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

I bought a new iPad Pro 11” and Pencil on Feb 1st and got the accessory the next day, but my iPad has been stuck in an uncharacteristic for Apple delay. The delivery date was the 16th through the 23rd, so there’s still a few days to go.

It’s always possible it’s supply chain related, but I didn’t realize there was an iPad event scheduled for 3/8. Any chance Apple ran out of iPads and I’m going to have to wait for whatever is being refreshed?

And yeah. Great move. Buy an iPad for full price more than a month before a potential update. Maybe Apple is doing me a favor making me wait.

It’s unlikely there’s an update for the pro coming, since there’s really not anything to upgrade it TO from M1 yet. That said, Apple is known for generous no-fault return policies that would easily let you swap out yours for a new model if one is announced.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No way they're updating the Pro. If there's an iPad event next month, it'll be the base, Air, and/or Mini.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

The base and the Mini were both updated less than 6 months ago.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
What can Apple really do to upgrade the Air that won't raise the price too far from the OG model, or cannibalize sales of the 11" Pro?
As far as I can see, there's only 3 possible upgrades for the Air: Center Stage camera upgrade, 64 > 128gb, updating the SoC to an A15 to match the Mini.
You can't add 120hz, that's a pro feature. You can't add mini-led, that's a 12.9" Pro feature. You can't start at 256gb because that's more than the Pro base models. Maybe Face ID, but that seems to be a Pro-only feature too. And you can't go M1 for the same reasons.

Maybe going up to 6gb ram? They already have BOLD NEW COLORS, soo...

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 20, 2022

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Mister Facetious posted:

They already have BOLD NEW COLORS, soo...

Sadly, that counts as innovation for Apple these days. The new air will probably be center stage, more storage and storage tiers and some form of totally not an M1, A15X or whatever and call it a day. I just wish they would finally get around to releasing one of those rumored 15 or 16 inch iPad Pros because my dream machine from Apple would be a 12.9 inch Air.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The camera bump will continue its uplift until it is taller than mt everest.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So I’m thinking I may want to look into a stand for my iPad Pro 12.9 for my office. Basically, I don’t have enough room on my desk to place the iPad as a monitor , so maybe that’s a way to have it to the side.

Any recommendations on a stand , that basically functions like a music stand, but can securely dock / hold a 12.9 securely ?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I picked up a mini easel from hobby lobby for that purpose and it works wonderfully

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

It’s unlikely there’s an update for the pro coming, since there’s really not anything to upgrade it TO from M1 yet. That said, Apple is known for generous no-fault return policies that would easily let you swap out yours for a new model if one is announced.

We will see what happens when/if the February deadline passes. If delivery gets updated to March then the possibility of something being announced increases significantly.

Odds are it’ll arrive right at the end of the estimated fulfillment timeframe. It’s just been weird having the new Pencil here for nearly 3 weeks and no iPad to use it on. I’ve been using an OG Pencil for like 5 or 6 years now and I really want to try this out.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was seriously considering an Air for if this 11” Pro ever dies but I checked one out at the fruit stand today and I just don’t think I’ll ever be able to give up that 120hz display :(

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It's an adjustment going back and forth from my Air and my 13PM. My biggest "complaint" with the Air by far.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

hatty posted:

I picked up a mini easel from hobby lobby for that purpose and it works wonderfully
So does a plate stand.
If “in portrait mode” wasn’t in there, so would just a business card holder.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Duckman2008 posted:

So I’m thinking I may want to look into a stand for my iPad Pro 12.9 for my office. Basically, I don’t have enough room on my desk to place the iPad as a monitor , so maybe that’s a way to have it to the side.

Any recommendations on a stand , that basically functions like a music stand, but can securely dock / hold a 12.9 securely ?

K&M makes iPad music stands

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Honj Steak posted:

K&M makes iPad music stands

This is a great tip and looks to be what I am looking for, I’ll likely pull the trigger on it. Helps that we also play music (informally), so in case I ever need to use my iPad for music (doubt it but whatever) it’ll have an option.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Duckman2008 posted:

This is a great tip and looks to be what I am looking for, I’ll likely pull the trigger on it. Helps that we also play music (informally), so in case I ever need to use my iPad for music (doubt it but whatever) it’ll have an option.

Im using the K&M iPad holder in combination with a Manfrotto 156BLB Mini Pro stand for ultimate portability. I‘m playing my instrument sitting down, though. So if you need something while standing, a sturdier tripod would be necessary. For desk work you could just put it on a microphone arm, too.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

We will see what happens when/if the February deadline passes. If delivery gets updated to March then the possibility of something being announced increases significantly.

Odds are it’ll arrive right at the end of the estimated fulfillment timeframe. It’s just been weird having the new Pencil here for nearly 3 weeks and no iPad to use it on. I’ve been using an OG Pencil for like 5 or 6 years now and I really want to try this out.

Apple shipped the iPad today and it will arrive on the 23rd, the very last day in their estimated shipping range, but is impressive accuracy in it’s almost inaccuracy.

So much for my theory of a new model iPad Pro sitting on a freighter in the Pacific Ocean just waiting for the official announcement.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just some shower thinking this morning -- for all the improvements on the Pro, I have to say that I still can't see a compelling reason to upgrade to a. new model this year. I have a 2020 personal and 2018 from work, and even my 2018 feels "plenty fast" and actually noticeably faster than most of the regular iPads I played with at the fruit stand, but admittedly a lot of that is probably just the fact that the 120hz screen makes it feel fast in general.

I maintain that touchID on the power button would be the one thing that makes me drop $1k+ canada funbucks on either a new iPhone or Pro right now, but that's more of an phone killer feature for me tbh since -- other than lying in bed and unlocking the ipad on the nightstand -- it's much more a problem on the phone for me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TouchID on the power button does rule, but it’s probably not “upgrade your iPad” good, unless you were already 90% of the way to that decision anyway

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

For sure. I think I failed to get that across in my post. TouchID would be the only thing that would make me go "hmm" but ultimately it's really really cool to see the 2018 still cranking. The battery on that thing will go before it becomes unusable IMO

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think the M1 iPads are a pretty major update worth real consideration but because they seem to last 8+ years there's no reason to rush out and buy if you already got one.

The availability of more memory in the highest storage models is interesting too, but because developers are going to target baseline iPads for many more years I still don't see a rush for it unless you're a real power user.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Just got my 2017 ipad 10.5 inch pro back from apple servicing the battery. I still love it and it's snappy enouogh for me for now

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Martytoof posted:

For sure. I think I failed to get that across in my post. TouchID would be the only thing that would make me go "hmm" but ultimately it's really really cool to see the 2018 still cranking. The battery on that thing will go before it becomes unusable IMO

My 2020 iPad air pretty much stays connected to power 95% of the time, barely letting it dip below 90% most of the time.

I know letting these batteries full discharge ruins them so I just leave it plugged in as much as possible.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

My 2020 iPad air pretty much stays connected to power 95% of the time, barely letting it dip below 90% most of the time.

I know letting these batteries full discharge ruins them so I just leave it plugged in as much as possible.

Leaving them plugged in all the time also hurts the battery IIRC. The iPhone I bought during the pandemic has suffered from this I think, due to me not discharging it a lot for a full year and leaving it on the magnetic charger all the time.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Doing that is also bad

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Last Chance posted:

Leaving them plugged in all the time also hurts the battery IIRC. The iPhone I bought during the pandemic has suffered from this I think, due to me not discharging it a lot for a full year and leaving it on the magnetic charger all the time.

This isn't true anymore if you leave the default power management settings turned on.

Obligatory don't janitor your batteries or give a poo poo about them. Your battery IS going to lose its max capacity over time. There's not a drat thing you can do about it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

This isn't true anymore if you leave the default power management settings turned on.

Obligatory don't janitor your batteries or give a poo poo about them. Your battery IS going to lose its max capacity over time. There's not a drat thing you can do about it.

I wish when the batteries go in these devices they'd at least offer a way to replace them, like free for first battery change or something

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

xzzy posted:

I think the M1 iPads are a pretty major update worth real consideration but because they seem to last 8+ years there's no reason to rush out and buy if you already got one.

The availability of more memory in the highest storage models is interesting too, but because developers are going to target baseline iPads for many more years I still don't see a rush for it unless you're a real power user.

Yeah, the two complaints I have with mine are 1) faceid sucks and i'd've rather had touchid, especially because I'm often turning it on in bed at weird angles/no light 2) only doing 16gb ram on the 1tb and up models was bullshit and I couldn't justify that much storage space, so I worry about the longevity with only 8gb of ram. but otherwise it's perfect. i don't see it becoming unusable for my use case for many, many years.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They still sell the newer MacBook Air with 8GB standard and that has to handle a fuller OS. You’ll be fine with 8GB unless they really open up iPadOS or do something wild and allow dual booting

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I love face ID on my iPad *except* for when I'm on a plane, where the iPad doesn't have the face mask apple watch unlock like the phone does.

Last Chance posted:

Just got my 2017 ipad 10.5 inch pro back from apple servicing the battery. I still love it and it's snappy enouogh for me for now

Was it the exact same iPad with new battery or did they do a unit swap? I had heard it was always the latter.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MrBond posted:

I love face ID on my iPad *except* for when I'm on a plane, where the iPad doesn't have the face mask apple watch unlock like the phone does.

In the current beta, you can allow FaceID to work with a mask. You have to take another face scan with the mask on so it knows what you 'look like' when wearing one.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I wish when the batteries go in these devices they'd at least offer a way to replace them,

They do it’s $99 for a battery replacement.

That’s pretty insignificant if you are keeping the device for years.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

MrBond posted:

Was it the exact same iPad with new battery or did they do a unit swap? I had heard it was always the latter.

They definitely swapped the whole unit. It’s a new serial number, missing some scuffs and I was offered a three month trial for Apple Arcade because I got a “new” iPad lol

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

hatty posted:

unless they really open up iPadOS

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

Jokes on you , I janitor my battery by never turning my iPhone or iPad on. Can’t lose battery life if you don’t use it !

Also, you are correct

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What's the best iPad for content consumption? I have an aging 2014 MBPR which fulfilled its role as college laptop and occasional productivity (MS Word) device after college. Nowadays its used exclusively for Discord, Safari, YouTube. I'm thinking my next portable device should maybe be an iPad with a keyboard-folio thing. I used to have a 1st gen iPad Pro and it was perfect for what it was, but I had to sell it to get some cash together. I think it might have been a bit overpowered for what I was using it for - discord and youtube side-by-side. I never did anything remotely "pro" on it.

I dont think I need the Pro model, so im debating between the base iPad vs the iPad Air which looks a lot nicer and less dated. The problem is that the base storage for both seems pretty bleak. If I were to get an iPad Air, it seems wise to get the 256gb version, which kicks up the price to $750, and then the smart keyboard is another $180... $930 total before tax for a device im using primarily for discord, iMessage, Safari and Youtube. It seems ridiculously expensive. I could just get a base Macbook Air for marginally more but I do like the extreme portability of an iPad.

What do you say, goons

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Base ipad will handle all of those just fine and only run you $300. If you do decide to do more with it grab a keyboard/trackpad case and it's about 80% of the way to a pro. the extreme portability goes away as soon as you add a keyboard of any type though (then it's literally just a macbook air form factor).

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If your main use case is discord, safari and YouTube then why do you need such a large storage option?