Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
OK I got Zhao confedded, I had 120+ rep with him and he had 8 settlements, we've gotten along famously all game, I'm Str 1 atm. The tipping points are that he fell hard down to Str 57 but has been picking fights with Ogres and likely Str 8+ Goldtooth for 20 turns now so I assume his primary stack + 1 other good army got eaten.

The trick is that I watched his likelihood to confed go from -70 to -40 to -12. I couldn't see a way to balance a -12 with 8k gold in hand, not enough for a large gift. I could have gone for long game bribing but decided to try the new threaten option next turn with a -14 likelihood.

He bit, which is great, I just got a second Cathayan LL, whatever armies he has left and 3 whole provinces with VH AI Cheating growth built up. The downside is 1) if it failed we'd be at war and 2) my reliability went from a perfect Very High to Low.

However I own all of Cathay, the Empire and Kislev are a million miles away, I'm at war with all Chaos, any other minors fear me and I just bodyslammed two stacks Kairos sent to try to cause trouble. The only meaningful neighbors left are Ogres and I still owe Greasus a "wiping out your entire faction."

Dunno how I'm gonna win the souls race being 1 in the hole but killing all my competitors worked in the Vortex!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
as a fit guy with asymmetric gyno one of these rosters seems like the obvious first choice

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Sorry but for the entire Empire to achievement perfect harmony at this very moment we must demolish your local tea house.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Falcorum posted:

There's something weird going on with unit behaviours, sometimes if I have more than 1 unit attacking an enemy lord, all except one will disengage and just sit there doing nothing. For example, in the prologue I sent Yuri and a snow leopard to attack an enemy wizard, they'd get there, hit him once or twice and then the snow leopard or Yuri would go idle.

It's guard mode. It's super strict now so best to just turn it off.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I kept bouncing off of starts but Boris' campaign is fun. I like the diversity of starting enemies there better than the other Kislev starts.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I finished my first Khorne campaign yesterday. It was generally fun, especially once I learned to stop getting attached to territory. It sort of plays like Taurox except your faction will "auto-settle" ruined territory. Once you get part way through the game, the auto-settling gets so high that often I had enemies raze one of my settlements, only to have it get resettled at the start of my turn.

I've just started a Tzeentch playthrough and the playstyle is totally fresh. Very different from how Khorne plays. I went in thinking the blue horrors would be garbage, and they kind of are in isolation, but when massed with pink horrors and other goodies in support, they are actually really effective as part of a formation.

It's super cool that the back ranks will continue to shoot even if the unit is in melee.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Randarkman posted:

I guess technically you can ignore the Chaos Realm objectives, should take another faction about 130-140 or so turns to win if they get all the souls on their first attempt shouldn't it? You can probably just play around as you prefer in that time, obviously you'd still have to deal with the Rifts and such when they show up and unless you'd be willing to go in and stop them, your campaign would end at a time not of your own choosing.

With this one and 2's Vortex campaign I just feel like someone at CA has been drawing the wrong lessons from the statistics that say most people never finish a campaign and then trying to make something more narrative and uniform with multiple factions involved in the same race with the same objectives or whatever.

That said I'm all for having shorter camapign goals (that "win" the campaign but don't force you to stop), the Warhammer 2 DLC lords mostly did a dcent job of this, having shoter self-contained and faction specific campaigns, that's really the way to go rather than this kind of strange disruptive race IMO.

It's weird that it's a race in the first place. As far as I can tell only the players character/faction should be able to travel through the maelstrom? The advisor guy must be teleproting around helping everyone

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

hemale in pain posted:

It's weird that it's a race in the first place. As far as I can tell only the players character/faction should be able to travel through the maelstrom? The advisor guy must be teleproting around helping everyone

Oh yeah, that's a good point. I hadn't thought of that but it's obvious.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

how do you even start the mini campaigns

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Sorry but for the entire Empire to achievement perfect harmony at this very moment we must demolish your local tea house.

I'm trying out a little Cathay now, and honestly I kind of like the whole campaign system, it makes you plan ahead in ways that wouldn't make sense for other factions. Honestly, it's something kind of like that the Lizardmen should have had, rather than the mostly inconsequential and unintrusive Geomantic Web.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Is there a way to play the campaign without having to play whack-a-mole with your armies? I feel like I'm stuck to a max of like 3 provinces before I lose control. Or is that "the campaign", and what I'm really wanting is for Mortal Empires to drop?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Kislev not having a hero that fucks with move rates sucks, Chasing Ku'Gath's big fat rear end all over eastern Kislev while I try to put out so many fires from confederating the Erangrad faction.

Side note, Katerina has Plague: Ague and there seems to be nothing I can do about it but wait it out?

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Well this was a fun little Rogue Army to wander into my territory. Five soul grinders, great unclean one, exalted flamer, and some other goodies led by a Daemon Prince of Nurgle. If their spawns are random like in previous games, this would be a hell of stack to have on your doorstep 10 turns into a new campaign.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Grimson posted:

Is there a way to play the campaign without having to play whack-a-mole with your armies? I feel like I'm stuck to a max of like 3 provinces before I lose control. Or is that "the campaign", and what I'm really wanting is for Mortal Empires to drop?

Ambush stance is underrated and even without an actual ambush you can bait an enemy into force marching in a bad position where you crush them the next turn.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Tiny thing but I really like the new click confirmation sounds. It's the three kingdoms sound slightly crunchier isn't it?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Every other LL: Uuuggghhh the Chaos Realms are so terrible you just slog through them picking up debuff after debuff blergh...

Skrag the Slaughterer: I AM SPEED!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Chakan posted:

I also feel like the battles are faster than they were in two, which is puzzling because all the pre-release stuff made it seem like everything was slowed down. Most of the fights I'm doing are close to 4 minutes with barely any making it to 8. Quick and bloody, maybe it's just the Ogres?

I think it's the ogres. I finally gave them a fair shake and they are now the only real standout faction in TW3 to me. Ogre vs Ogre fights are over in literally seconds, it's absurd. They've got some low model counts on ogre infantry but their stats absolutely blow other races' out of the water, except for almost entirely lacking armor.

They're like glass cannons except they're backed up by humongous HP pools - Ogre Bulls have 666hp each compared to e.g. Armored Kossars which have 82 HP each.

On the initial charge (this is some super napkin math, I know a whole lot more goes into calculating charges) the Ogres will deal over 100 hp damage to the Kossars and immediately wipe 12 of them out which is almost 15% of the entire Kossars unit, and the Ogres only have 12 models so it's very likely that all 12 will hit something on the charge. The Kossars would need almost 20 individual models to hit a single ogre on the initial charge to kill it, and there are 90 Kossars so they will get in each others' way and not all hit the charge

Then after the charge, the Ogres are hitting the kossars for 40-60ish damage per swing and the Kossars are hitting the ogres for around 36 damage per swing. The ogres just chew through the kossars like... hungry ogres.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Playing as Katarin and I can't remember the last time I had a quiet turn. Everything feels like it on fire or about five seconds away from blowing up unless I deal with it right now.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

AnEdgelord posted:

Lol Skrag's quest battle is a full stack of every anti-large unit in the skaven roster backed up by a second full stack of night runners and slingers

Katarin's quest battle consists of you getting ambushed from 20 feet away by an entire high tier tzeentch stack that starts in firing/charge range. It's extremely "fun" and definitely not just a lovely gotcha guaranteed to desolate your army.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Kanos posted:

Katarin's quest battle consists of you getting ambushed from 20 feet away by an entire high tier tzeentch stack that starts in firing/charge range. It's extremely "fun" and definitely not just a lovely gotcha guaranteed to desolate your army.

I wonder if some of the gently caress you stuff like this is because they're aiming for difficult battles to be shown off on stream more than something most players will actually enjoy.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Sinteres posted:

I wonder if some of the gently caress you stuff like this is because they're aiming for difficult battles to be shown off on stream more than something most players will actually enjoy.

I normally actually like difficult gimmick battles, too, but Katarin's is just kaizo romhack nonsense. If you're running a low tier stack(which you probably will be when you first run into it, since it unlocks at level 10), what on earth do you do to outplay starting in charge range of 2 doom knights, a soul grinder, 2 chaos knights of tzeentch, and 2 forsaken while also being in firing range of 2 flamers, an exalted flamer, and like 8 pink horrors from all sides while you're in ambush column formation?

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Communist Bear posted:

Tag yourself i'm Dod.

why aren't you down with the sickness, Dod?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Kanos posted:

I normally actually like difficult gimmick battles, too, but Katarin's is just kaizo romhack nonsense. If you're running a low tier stack(which you probably will be when you first run into it, since it unlocks at level 10), what on earth do you do to outplay starting in charge range of 2 doom knights, a soul grinder, 2 chaos knights of tzeentch, and 2 forsaken while also being in firing range of 2 flamers, an exalted flamer, and like 8 pink horrors from all sides while you're in ambush column formation?

Upgraded Heart of Winter murders everything in its radius with no hope of them getting away if they're in combat already because of the slow. I beelined it and it killed the Screamers, Chaos Knights and Doom Knights after they all charged in. She got 3000 value just from that cast.

Everyone saying Tempest is the premier lore for Kislev needs to try it imo. A no-FF aoe spell that slows and does that much damage is crazy good. Katarin casts it at a discount too.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Unless they patched it in the last twelve hours remember not to disband your army leaders ever, it doesn't remove their supply penalty. If you want them gone, send them to die on the front lines instead.

unclear how this interacts with immortality

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

If you are kislev you have a provincial commandment that will slow down enemy armies

Also, keep in mind there is no benefit to offering sweet deals to the AI. In Three Kingdoms if you signed a deal the AI loved you'd get extra good rep with them from however much more positive opinion they had of the deal. This is not the case in Warhams 3, so you should always auto-balance the deal to get more money, they won't treat you any nicer for giving them a bargain. I guess taking money from them does weaken them a little, but that's a super-fringe edge case where that would ever become relevant

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The Chad Jihad posted:

If you are kislev you have a provincial commandment that will slow down enemy armies

Also, keep in mind there is no benefit to offering sweet deals to the AI. In Three Kingdoms if you signed a deal the AI loved you'd get extra good rep with them from however much more positive opinion they had of the deal. This is not the case in Warhams 3, so you should always auto-balance the deal to get more money, they won't treat you any nicer for giving them a bargain. I guess taking money from them does weaken them a little, but that's a super-fringe edge case where that would ever become relevant

Every faction should get a slow-enemies commandment imo. Would help a ton

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

this is the name of the garrison lord of my first ogre camp:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Nephthys posted:

Upgraded Heart of Winter murders everything in its radius with no hope of them getting away if they're in combat already because of the slow. I beelined it and it killed the Screamers, Chaos Knights and Doom Knights after they all charged in. She got 3000 value just from that cast.

Everyone saying Tempest is the premier lore for Kislev needs to try it imo. A no-FF aoe spell that slows and does that much damage is crazy good. Katarin casts it at a discount too.

I mean that's great but heart of winter deals with one of the eight directions you're being hit from. It's absolutely beatable but if you're running a mostly kossar stack you're going to lose most of it.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Well, seems I'm getting out at the circle of Vainglory. I really should have tried to dodge more of the Slanesh stacks. Each of them steal a unit and suddenly I'm out of units. And there's still one more waiting right behind the portal. Working as intended.
Healthy young dragon enters the realm of chaos, doesn't feel good and changes. Everyone fired! Many such cases.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like Nurgle should get some chaos warrior halberds so they have a single source of anti-large damage.

Could even nurgle them up and lower armor and attack but give their bloated bodies more health and poison attacks.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Unless they patched it in the last twelve hours remember not to disband your army leaders ever, it doesn't remove their supply penalty. If you want them gone, send them to die on the front lines instead.

unclear how this interacts with immortality

When I disbanded an army earlier the penalty vanished. Is that a display error?

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Kanos posted:

I mean that's great but heart of winter deals with one of the eight directions you're being hit from. It's absolutely beatable but if you're running a mostly kossar stack you're going to lose most of it.

There are plenty of quest battles I held off on in 2 because of difficulty or is this one you need to do quick? (I haven’t tried Kislev yet.)

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
So about that final battle of the campaign. I first thought the enemies continuously spawning was a gently caress-you from CA to whoever bitched that the quest battles were to easy in WH2. But then I got to the last capture point and it said I had to kill all the enemies before I could capture it. Guess that's never going to happen since the enemies don't loving stop spawning.

I'm honestly not sure if it is bugged, badly designed or both.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
God drat the slaanesh chariot owns. They go clean through enemy formations, which makes it real fun in settlement battles to just weave through the streets and blowing past an enemy unit.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

genericnick posted:

When I disbanded an army earlier the penalty vanished. Is that a display error?

Yes. Your income didnt change when that happened, made harder to notice because of how income updates.

E: I think I need to scrap my Katarin run and either play something else or try again. I recruited at least 4 lords to deal with short-term incursions, plus generally messed up my overall build. I still think I'll take the Slaanesh circle of gluttony buff: increasing growth by 100/turn and 40k cash is really nice. Maybe.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 19, 2022

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Cathay's economy is pretty nuts. Once you can have multiple caravans running, get the caravan lords upgraded for cargo capacity and whatnot... you're pulling in 25-30k for a 3k investment 10 turns earlier. That is, of course, assuming the caravan survives... but even if it doesn't, you're out around 3k. Big deal.

You can poo poo money if you focus on caravans. It's almost High Elf levels of strong (though obviously riskier, and certainly not as strong as the Dark Elf economy).

Also the Norscans actually attacked the Bastion for once. Melting a bunch of mammoths and marauders with crane gunners, sky junks, crossbows, and cowtillery is fun. (The grand cannon has a GREAT firing sound.) The harmony mechanic works pretty well on the walls, you can stagger ranged and melee units along its length and they both benefit. Jade warriors and celestial dragon guard on the walls with harmony buffs basically refuse to die, and meanwhile the ranged units are making GBS threads doom on everything below.

I really want the big map. I want more of Cathay, and less "IT'S CORRUPTION WHACK A MOLE TIME AGAIN! WE KNOW YOUR lovely DEBUFF STILL HASN'T FALLEN OFF BUT gently caress YOU HERE WE GO AGAAAAAIN!" Let me play in the sandbox, CA. I'm kind of sick of the realms already.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 19, 2022

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Kanos posted:

oh god i need mod support, i need mod support now. 'skip quest battles' is a must have

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Gonkish posted:

Cathay's economy is pretty nuts. Once you can have multiple caravans running, get the caravan lords upgraded for cargo capacity and whatnot... you're pulling in 25-30k for a 3k investment 10 turns earlier. That is, of course, assuming the caravan survives... but even if it doesn't, you're out around 3k. Big deal.

You can poo poo money if you focus on caravans. It's almost High Elf levels of strong (though obviously riskier, and certainly not as strong as the Dark Elf economy).

You can send more than one at a time?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Not having to fetch 20 bear asses before you get access to your purple shinies is an excellent change, on the whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Can i make a confession? I'd pay for a super scripted campaign made in the image of the tutorial. It was fun. Give me immortal empires and then total war lite warcraft edition CA please.