Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
golden sun is fine, perfectly functional rpgs with excellent visuals and music, decent puzzle dungeons, a cool class customization system, and too many words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The switch sports thing is cool but it makes my Switch overheat and shut down after 15 minutes.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

RCarr posted:

The switch sports thing is cool but it makes my Switch overheat and shut down after 15 minutes.

thats how sports work

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

thats how sports work

lol

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
It sure did suck when Nintendo used to have a very mediocre JRPG lineup.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

thats how sports work

When people criticized Wii Sports for not being realistic enough this isn't what they had in mind.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I won a bowling. Feels good.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I can't wait until Switch Sports is out. The play tests have been a ton of fun.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

playing my first dragon quest game ruined golden sun forever because I realized that golden sun was literally just Worse Dragon Quest

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I mean, most RPGs are a worse DQ.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

RPGs are solved. For the best jRPG experience, you got DQ11, for the best crunch you got Divinity Original Sin 2, for the best story you got Planescape Torment, and the best overall experience you've got Baldurs Gate 2. And all of them are on the Switch. There's a reason the console was forged by God himself in the fires of Earth's core.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
What's crunch?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I wouldn’t call DQ the best it’s the most safe. If you want a simple clean experience that’s what DQ is set up for. If not it can be kind of meh

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Fun Times! posted:

What's crunch?

How much technical cleverness you can put into the combat. So DQ11 has next to none, you have your obvious best buffs and attacks and use them most of the time. DOS2 has you teleporting enemies into tar pits, that you then set on fire, then you explode their corpse to damage their friends whilst your skeleton character walks unharmed through a poisonous cloud to hold back the rest of the mob which are dieing of it.

Neither is inherently better. Some days you want a nice easy time and watch numbers get bigger, and other times you want to fist fight Kasparovs brain.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Golden Sun is fine until you decide to replay it and get annoyed at how loving long it takes to get out of the introduction.

The LP was correct to tear those games a new one.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dragon Quest is the vanilla ice cream of JRPGs

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Vanilla ice cream owns

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Vanilla as a flavor is underrated as gently caress. I mean chocolate loving owns but vanilla also loving owns.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/1495105952021991428

gently caress the haters, TTYD is the best Mario RPG.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I don’t think the point is to criticize it by calling it vanilla ice cream, that’s just what it is

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Super Mario RPG is mint chocolate chip

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Why doesn't Nintendo give me a way to play this game?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't think DQ11 is more than just good, certainly not anywhere close to my most liked JRPGs

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cum jabbar posted:

Impossible. Super Mario RPG is good.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mega64 posted:

until you decide to replay it and remember how many empty corridors the game makes you go through multiple times, or the three quests that bring you back deep into the first dungeon, or the quest where a guy asks you to count the chairs in four houses all over the world for some hot sauce, or the dumbass creepo computer, or

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I’ve played it recently and all those are not as big a deal as this forum likes to make them out to be

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Yeah, I’d much rather play Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age and spend 70 hours letting random battles play themselves out automatically in fast forward. Now THAT’S engaging gameplay.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Played Tetris Effect Connected while high (just edibles).

Literally felt trapped during the ending sequence.

It was amazing.

Beforehand, I checked out a bunch of the effect modes, and holy poo poo for a game about Tetris, it definitely has a lot of good modes.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Snake Maze posted:

Yeah, I’d much rather play Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age and spend 70 hours letting random battles play themselves out automatically in fast forward. Now THAT’S engaging gameplay.

Jokes on you there are no random battles in DQXI :smug:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’ve played it recently and all those are not as big a deal as this forum likes to make them out to be

i mean it's still a great game, but there are a couple other mario rpgs that do it better

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
super paper mario owns actually

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

hatty posted:

Vanilla ice cream owns
This!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

super paper mario owns actually

I WANT to say this but it's also the only one of the Mario RPGs I've actually played. I have no point of reference.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

hatty posted:

Jokes on you there are no random battles in DQXI :smug:

Jokes on you DQXI has random battles in the 2d mode :smuggo:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

I WANT to say this but it's also the only one of the Mario RPGs I've actually played. I have no point of reference.

*sighs* just say this

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
JRPGS are super neat and also horrifically boring and I play all of them for several hours before quitting. I've probably played every mainline Final Fantasy and never beat a single one.

In fact, I think the only JRPGs I've ever beaten are:

Pokemon Blue, Pearl, X, and Sword

Chrono Trigger

Dragon Quest I and XI

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

cum jabbar posted:

I hate mint chocolate chip because I want mint ice cream without chocolate chips in it, which is impossible to find except right before Christmas, why the gently caress can't there be regular mint ice cream all year round?

I'm not sure how this applies to the analogy.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Played Tetris Effect Connected while high (just edibles).

Literally felt trapped during the ending sequence.

It was amazing.

Beforehand, I checked out a bunch of the effect modes, and holy poo poo for a game about Tetris, it definitely has a lot of good modes.

I’m so glad you are enjoying the best Tetris game. It’s just perfect.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

*sighs* just say this

It must be tough being a Super Paper Mario fan with having all the TTYD, 64, and RPG fans constantly making GBS threads on the game all the time.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Maybe play the other, much better games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I’m so glad you are enjoying the best Tetris game. It’s just perfect.

It really is a thing of beauty.