Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PlesantDilemma posted:

I put in an order for an RG351P a week ago and nothing is moving on the tracking in AliExpress, it's not even listed as being picked up by the shipping company. I messaged the seller, I assume that's my only option right now. Hope this thing shows up I want to be playing fun old GBA games!

Yeah it's the New Years thing people mentioned. My stuff from Ali is only partially shipped despite being a combo because of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The United States posted:

[url=https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/02/building-a-retro-gaming-super-console-with-100-and-a-raspberry-pi-2022-edition/]ArsTechnica doing the classic Hard Drive article unironically

Andrew Cunningham's writing has been pretty insufferable ever since Ars brought him back on about a year ago or so? Maybe 15 months? But this was an especially obnoxious article. But, in truth, I suppose most of Ars' writers have been terrible for a while. I'm so tired of Jennifer Ouellette writing 2,000-word "reviews" of trailers (though she's much better as a culture writer than Annalee Newitz was; Newitz's writing philosophy was "if this movie / TV show / thing isn't exactly what I had conjured up in my head, then it's dogshit"), Jonathan Gitlin writes as though everyone has the money to buy a $100,000 car, Eric Berger is so blatantly and obviously in the tank for SpaceX and to a lesser extent Tesla that it's just disgusting, and I can't really stand to read through Samuel Axon being an Apple evangelist. Don't even get me started on Ron Amadeo and his bizarre obsession with how big the bezels are on phones and tablets.

I read Ars for Beth Mole's articles about medical topics, John Timmer's work on both medical and science stuff, Jon Brodkin on security, and occasionally Sam Machkovech writes a decent gaming piece. But Ars has really had a real talent drain as of late, it's almost as bad as when they had their hardcore libertarian / "don't tread on me" bent back from like ... 2007 - 2012.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Timby posted:

Don't even get me started on Ron Amadeo and his bizarre obsession with how big the bezels are on phones and tablets.

This is a painful constant across most tech writing in my experience, like there's a thing in Apple circles right now about the rumour that the notch is going to become a double hole punch and how that's a good thing actually because it means there'll be a consistent bezel like any real person actually gives a poo poo.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Either the companies are pushing it because its the only thing they can think to do to make a bunch of rectangles stand out from one another, or spending enough time around a bunch of rectangles makes you and you alone give a poo poo about bezels. See also, phone reviews that ignore the fact 99% percent of phones spend their entire lives in a case, never for the phone's shape / design / ergonomics to see the light of day.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
ETA Prime Odin Pro review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2A2VGuuIr0

Timby posted:

ArsTechnica Writers...
I find it hard to complain about any Ars writers after living through the entire Ben Kuchera era. Also Ars front page articles aren't the point of the site any more than SA front page articles are the point of this site. Still it was funny to see a brand new "here's RetroPi! get a lego case!" article in 2022.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I literally never think of the notch on my phone

“NO BEZELS!” Is how you get those goofy android phones with useless wraparound screens. The bezels just get pushed to the back of the phone

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Also Ars front page articles aren't the point of the site any more than SA front page articles are the point of this site.
Oh, right, Something Awful dot com has a front page. :v:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
i like ars technica

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Arse technibutt

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Sorry if this is a common request, but is there a generally agreed upon "best for $50" handheld? A friend wants one so his girl doesn't freak our on a flight, basically.

Ideally something that comes with a bunch of games and doesn't totally suck rear end, that's about it.

This one looks promising but seems to have poo poo reviews.

https://retro-bit.com/goretro-portable

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

falz posted:

Sorry if this is a common request, but is there a generally agreed upon "best for $50" handheld? A friend wants one so his girl doesn't freak our on a flight, basically.

Ideally something that comes with a bunch of games and doesn't totally suck rear end, that's about it.

No that thing is trash.

Get this:
https://powkiddy.com/products/powki...ift-3d-new-game

Or search powkiddy v90 on amazon

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yep V90 was the first thing that popped into my head too.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Sweet perfect. Is the q90 and stuff pretty much these same thing? If the GBA style clam isn't their jam that is.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Q90 only has L and R shoulder buttons, no L2 and R2 but that's only an issue with PS1 stuff which I don't think that system is great with anyway. Other than that I think they're the same innards in different shells.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

falz posted:

Sweet perfect. Is the q90 and stuff pretty much these same thing? If the GBA style clam isn't their jam that is.
The q90 is also great, it even has a bigger battery. It only has L and R shoulder buttons though as opposed to v90s L1 L2 and L1 R2 if that worries you/them.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The v90 can't actually use those L2 and R2 buttons without custom firmware, by the way (which you should be installing anyway to get any kind of real performance out of it but still lol)

After doing your homework it's the best console you can get for the money, but if you've got fifty bucks to spend I'd look at the miyoo mini first

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

but if you've got fifty bucks to spend I'd look at the miyoo mini first

Absolutely

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

falz posted:

If you don't mind spending a bit more money(about 80 bucks) the RG350P would probably be perfect for your needs if you don't mind doing a little work to get it optimally setup for both software and games

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

I thought the Miyoo Mini was still sold out everywhere.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah the Miyoo Mini is no longer $50 and it's sold out/backordered.

For $50 or less the V90 and tiny screened Q20 Mini are it.

For $60+ you can also include the Miyoo Mini and tiny screened Trimui and Q36 Mini can be included.

Keep in mind for any of these you're going to want to do some tinkering and firmware upgrading and selection pruning before you give it to anyone

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

falz posted:

Keep in mind for any of these you're going to want to do some tinkering and firmware upgrading and selection pruning before you give it to anyone

Like USA implies, and sorry if I'm stating the obvious - while some of these devices that you order from China may come with a messy poorly organized collection of games, for the most part you're expected to have/get your own game rom files and put them on yourself. To use basically anything recommended in this thread you're going to at the minimum need to download your games and copy them to the appropriate folder on the device's SD card to make them show up and be playable.

Anything you buy in the U.S. that has games actually pre-loaded on it, is going to be officially licensed by whoever holds the copyright for those games, have a fairly small collection, probably not be able to play anything else without hacking it, and be generally terrible, though I'm sure they'll play what comes on them just fine.

Downloading roms used to be :filez:, but these days Internet Archive is able to distribute at least some roms legally presumably under some form of archival loophole, so you don't need to go searching around shadier "dark web" sites or whatever to find them.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 13, 2022

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Ayn Odin Teardown and explanation for the breaking triggers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Uz4H67fPhc

Ayn Odin Dock Reviews

At first I was confused as to why the dock had only gamecube and N64 ports, but it makes sense they are the two controller types it is the hardest to just find a USB version for. A surprise that the dock and TV output works with the Switch, but it's no cheaper than the Switch dock so it doesn't matter. Also the power drains while docked because it cannot charge as fast as it burns energy. And the gamecube ports are oriented incorrectly so the dock has to be propped up to use wavebirds. The biggest problem is the lag RGC mentions, which I had only previously heard someone on reddit mention (that there was noticable lag using the dock video out but not the micro hdmi from the unit itself).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK81C6EHjrs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyQcCiZbViA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pITHXkl71P0

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 14, 2022

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Having to remap the controller every time you use the dock sounds like a huge pain in the rear end :(

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

falz posted:

Comedy answer the chicken console

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52lTuozWPYA

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Shifting Gears a bit...

Retro Handhelds Retroid Pocket 2+ Written Review

Retro Handhelds Retroid Pocket 2+ PCB Upgrade Written Guide for anyone who bought one

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I'm sure it's been brought up a dozen times, but if I wanted to buy a new RP2+, what would be the best bet for fast shipping and decent pricing? I'm in Canada, if that narrows down choices.

I love my old GPD XD, but even with a new build of Android flashed, it's still getting long in the teeth for more demanding emulation. The battery, while still good for a couple of hours gameplay, is starting to show its age. Everything up to PS1 have run beautifully on this little beast and with the new update I can even run Xbox Gamepass through it, but I'm looking to move things up a notch, and the RP2+ looks to be a good solution for me.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Wee Bairns posted:

I'm sure it's been brought up a dozen times, but if I wanted to buy a new RP2+, what would be the best bet for fast shipping and decent pricing? I'm in Canada, if that narrows down choices.

I love my old GPD XD, but even with a new build of Android flashed, it's still getting long in the teeth for more demanding emulation. The battery, while still good for a couple of hours gameplay, is starting to show its age. Everything up to PS1 have run beautifully on this little beast and with the new update I can even run Xbox Gamepass through it, but I'm looking to move things up a notch, and the RP2+ looks to be a good solution for me.

I’m pretty sure you can only get it from goretroid at the moment. They’re still taking a month or so to ship orders, so not caught up enough to start shipping them to other distributors.

I’m still waiting for my orange one to ship from Jan 16, though there was Chinese New Year in there to slow things down.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah there are no other options for the RP2+ than goretroid.com right now, and not enough of them have shipped for there to be any real secondary market yet either. You have to order from them and if you want it as soon as possible you make sure to pick DHL shipping at checkout, which will be another $20 or more (probably a lot more for Canada). Right now it says they are on a 35 day backorder, so that's at least a month before it even ships.

Retro Game Corps Miyoo Mini vs 280V comparison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq3mvzkNKZ0

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Supposedly clear purple Odins started shipping yesterday, anyone get a notification?

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

And they aren't kidding about the delay and it's quite possibly longer. I ordered mine 1/21/22 and have not heard a peep yet. According to the spreadsheet from Reddit they are just now shipping orders from the end of December.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
RetroDodo recommends against the RG552

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TprLWlKMdtk

Prof. Banks posted:

And they aren't kidding about the delay and it's quite possibly longer. I ordered mine 1/21/22 and have not heard a peep yet. According to the spreadsheet from Reddit they are just now shipping orders from the end of December.
https://www.reddit.com/r/OdinHandheld/comments/svnt81/ayn_updated_their_shipping_phases_which_isnt/

"When will start the shipping of batch 2 orders ( In-demand orders) and how long will it be shipped out completely?

The turnaround cycle for batch 2 will take 25~30 calendar days. The assembling efficiency will be improved for all batch 2 orders, at least 250 units/day will be achieved just then, so we are expected to start batch 2 shipping on 3/25 and probably get all IGG orders shipped out before 4/25 and then move to retail phase thereafter.
"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I don’t expect to get my Odin till may. On the bright side the r1 issue should be fixed

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I don’t expect to get my Odin till may. On the bright side the r1 issue should be fixed
It sounds like they're still saying that's a rare defect and not a design flaw

https://www.reddit.com/r/OdinHandheld/comments/svpx3d/week_24_update_is_live/

"What is going on for the analysis of defective L1/R1 shoulder buttons?

a) FPC connector on the controller board is not tightly coupled with the incoming ribbon cable, 5% of the FPC connectors has quality issues, the thickness of backbone plastic piece that being designed to lock the incoming ribbon cable is not unified, which caused an unreliable connection, so that the input event of L1/R1 get no change to register to the system;

b) Some rubber pads under the L1/R1 shoulder buttons are not thick enough to buffer the input pressure.

c) There is a small room for the side revolving shaft of some shoulder buttons when sitting inside the hole during the assembling phase, the coupling error of the shaft will make it lose the leverage and also tilt the shoulder button permanently which finally causes the failure.

d) There is no safe design that stops continuous pressure putting on the tact switch, and we tested the tact switch separately, if we apply a continuous pressure of 3.5kg to the tact switch, the internal structure starts to have visible distortion, and when the pressure goes further to 5kg, it will ruin the tact switches apparently. But if the rubber pad is thick enough to buffer the input pressure evenly and the revolving shaft of the shoulder button happens to tightly sit inside the hole to give the correct leverage support, we can't see any internal structure change even at the worst 5kg test case.

All the above-mentioned items are the factors that caused shoulder button failures, and the functionality QA are not safe enough to guarantee the shipping units with no quality risks, but mechanical QA helps and seems way more critical to contribute on great quality improvements, thanks to backers who sent back the defective devices quickly. I think a careful IQC on the component level and a careful QC on both functionality and mechanical design on the following assembling device will manage the existing 4% overall defective rate pretty well.
"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's nice to see them being transparent about it at least!

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I’m willing to cut them some slack since it’s their first product offering. Ideally a stricter QC process will clear it up, or at least make it even rarer.

The big thing for me is if AYN follows through with their promise to make parts readily available once the odin hits full retail. If they don’t, any problems that pop up with wear and tear are going to hurt that much more.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

RetroDodo recommends against the RG552

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TprLWlKMdtk

https://www.reddit.com/r/OdinHandheld/comments/svnt81/ayn_updated_their_shipping_phases_which_isnt/

"When will start the shipping of batch 2 orders ( In-demand orders) and how long will it be shipped out completely?

The turnaround cycle for batch 2 will take 25~30 calendar days. The assembling efficiency will be improved for all batch 2 orders, at least 250 units/day will be achieved just then, so we are expected to start batch 2 shipping on 3/25 and probably get all IGG orders shipped out before 4/25 and then move to retail phase thereafter.
"

Well, I was talking about a RP2+, but as it stands it seems everything hot right now is backed waaaaay up.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Periodic reminder to those who aren't running emuelec off a MUB or GT King with a 2TB external hard drive: you can, you should, and it costs less than most handhelds.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Periodic reminder to those who aren't running emuelec off a MUB or GT King with a 2TB external hard drive: you can, you should, and it costs less than most handhelds.

I understood some of those words!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Are those handhelds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Those are android tv boxes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEgK7EOD8mc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_m02oDIGf4

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 20, 2022