Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

sexpig by night posted:

this sucks. I very unironically think The Riddler whips rear end and is probably one of Batman's best baddies because he's just a big dork who's obsessed with proving how smart he is even to his own detriment, which actually makes him Batman's best genuine 1:1 foil and rival despite him not typically being the 'high stakes' sort of antagonist.

Don't make him ~TwIsTeD~, he's a loving dork!!!! That's why he's fun you dumbasses!!!!

It is a common misconception, but riddler was always discount joker. I was sad to find this out during my complete read through of wvery batman comic.

Batman '66 really colored how I thought Batman villains were, but in reality they almost all were psycho murder hobos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mr Hootington posted:

It is a common misconception, but riddler was always discount joker. I was sad to find this out during my complete read through of wvery batman comic.

Batman '66 really colored how I thought Batman villains were, but in reality they almost all were psycho murder hobos

He was murdery sure but he had a way better gimmick with his 'I'm gonna set a bunch of elaborate riddles up telling you exactly who I'm gonna murder when, yes I'm aware my foe is 'the world's greatest detective' that's why I have to prove I'm smarter than him' than Joker's dumbass clown poo poo.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
the riddler with a face tattoo saying "gifted"

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
make Jade Cargill a batman villain
https://twitter.com/Jade_Cargill/status/1494826177474793472

could be like when Grace Jones beat the poo poo out of James Bond

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
While it's funny to imagine the "wow, so twisted" method acting marketing campaign for the Riddler, they're clearly exaggerating what Dano's saying:

https://twitter.com/ScreenSlate/status/1495034958041206784

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

He was murdery sure but he had a way better gimmick with his 'I'm gonna set a bunch of elaborate riddles up telling you exactly who I'm gonna murder when, yes I'm aware my foe is 'the world's greatest detective' that's why I have to prove I'm smarter than him' than Joker's dumbass clown poo poo.

It is a good gimmick and is why he didn't get forgotten or turned into a big joke by the "serious" writers.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My kid is super into the Batman 66 stuff and I love playing up how great riddler is. My argument is he's the one who keeps batman's brain sharp, otherwise Batman would get complacent

Heck, the Batman 66 comics my kid got for Christmas open with a big riddler story, they know he's legit

Another weird thing about the original show is Catwoman's first appearance is her being super villainous and trying to kill , which is a big change from even the movie

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the best Batman villain is CPS

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

manbat is the perfect counter to batman

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
they should do batman and joker vs the batman who laughs

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
There was a thread a long time ago where a goon read through the very first Batman comics and they ruled because he just shot dudes with a gun or strangled them to death with a noose hanging from his Batplane. Even from the start his "detective" shtick was paper thin, he just kicked down doors and beat the poo poo out of everyone including some Yellow Peril gangsters.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

There was a thread a long time ago where a goon read through the very first Batman comics and they ruled because he just shot dudes with a gun or strangled them to death with a noose hanging from his Batplane. Even from the start his "detective" shtick was paper thin, he just kicked down doors and beat the poo poo out of everyone including some Yellow Peril gangsters.

Up until the late 70s villains frequently die by batman setting up elaborate traps that would lead to villains "killing themselves".

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

just saw Rush Hour 2 again and checked IMDb to see what Ziyi Zhang was up to

the description of that series is hilarious. “everyone fights to improve everything for everybody”

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

indigi posted:

just saw Rush Hour 2 again and checked IMDb to see what Ziyi Zhang was up to

the description of that series is hilarious. “everyone fights to improve everything for everybody”

I felt like she was going to be a huge international star, more than gong li or Maggie cheung, and then ..nope

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

indigi posted:

I think I have watched multiple kdramas with the same premise.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

I felt like she was going to be a huge international star, more than gong li or Maggie cheung, and then ..nope

same, she was so good at fighting, had a really expressive face. thinking about it, since the Chinese domestic film market grew so much in the 00s and considering it took Jackie years to get to the point where he could be in Hollywood movies without dubbing maybe she didn’t see the point spending so much time improving her English

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

The castle in Harry Potter is literally called Hogwarts. That's disgusting but I'm glad that guys like us finally get some recognition

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Who's the cross state rival with Hogwarts, something like Dickcheese or Boarturds

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Good soup! posted:

Who's the cross state rival with Hogwarts, something like Dickcheese or Boarturds

doesn’t England only have Hogwarts? I thought each country only had one wizard school, that’s why their World Cup was the french girls and I think the Nazis (I don’t think I saw that movie just clips so I could be wrong)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

indigi posted:

doesn’t England only have Hogwarts? I thought each country only had one wizard school, that’s why their World Cup was the french girls and I think the Nazis (I don’t think I saw that movie just clips so I could be wrong)

It’s even more racist than that lol

https://twitter.com/TerribleMaps/status/1234558864575602688?s=20&t=VSSJCyUxcZXGvjh-60V2Gw

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Up until the late 70s villains frequently die by batman setting up elaborate traps that would lead to villains "killing themselves".

its very funny how people think batman has a no killing people rule at best he has a no murder rule but he manslaughters and self defenses the poo poo out of people all the time and probably will in this movie too

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

its very funny how people think batman has a no killing people rule at best he has a no murder rule but he manslaughters and self defenses the poo poo out of people all the time and probably will in this movie too

There is a small period where baddies do not die as much, but Miller happens and it is off to the races again.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

batman villians own because they're all based on psychological hang-ups/illnesses, but they had to also be murderers to 'justify' Batman being a hyper violent bootlicker narc beating up the disadvantaged and mentally ill

as flawed as it was, I was hoping the new Batman would be in the Joker universe because the overt portrayal of a trust fund vigilante out for revenge would be a grimdark but also novel take on the character

anyways I'd love a Court of Owls film cause it was probably the only batman story that punched upwards, and him getting absolutely owned by the gotham illuminati was fun

also Super is the best superhero film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_iwVg9zf0E

Durf has issued a correction as of 05:29 on Feb 20, 2022

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Some Guy TT posted:

Being a character who has existed for several human lifetimes there are as many interpretations of Batman as there are of any traditional folklore cycle. He’s been written as everything from being pathologically obsessed with never letting anyone die ever, even through inaction or lack of awareness of surroundings, to shooting people point blank in the heart with a revolver with a smile on his face. He’s been written as a Fascist by Fascist authors, and as a guy who’s bankrupted himself providing welfare to the poor.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

Feel like the wizarding community of south and east Asia might be slightly underserved with one school for about 3 billion people

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

galagazombie posted:

Being a character who has existed for several human lifetimes there are as many interpretations of Batman as there are of any traditional folklore cycle. He’s been written as everything from being pathologically obsessed with never letting anyone die ever, even through inaction or lack of awareness of surroundings, to shooting people point blank in the heart with a revolver with a smile on his face. He’s been written as a Fascist by Fascist authors, and as a guy who’s bankrupted himself providing welfare to the poor.

... and they all suck!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

joe football posted:

Feel like the wizarding community of south and east Asia might be slightly underserved with one school for about 3 billion people

If it works like Hogwarts there's a comically low number of students attending anyway.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

why do Italy Greece and Afghanistan get their own schools/no school

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol at lighter-colored south korea

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

how many adam lanzas do you reckon it would take to take down all of hogwarts?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

man Pluto tv kinda sucks. too many ads, I just want to watch some rifftrax.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

joe football posted:

non-white people didn’t get the magic gene, there’s less wizards worldwide than there is in britian

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

indigi posted:

why do Italy Greece and Afghanistan get their own schools/no school
The English wizards are slightly more anti-Catholic than their non-wizard counterparts, and will have nothing to do with a wizarding school run by the Vatican.

The whole map makes a lot more sense if you assume all those schools are specifically the schools recognized by or offshoots of Hogwarts, so like, Beauxbatons is the Aquataine school, Durmstrang the Hannover school, school #10 the school for princely states and Hong Kong, and so on for all the rest.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

RandolphCarter posted:

man Pluto tv kinda sucks. too many ads, I just want to watch some rifftrax.

tubi is a good free streaming service with ads here and there. like every 20 minutes you'll get 3 or 4 crap ads but their selection of old horror is excellent, got a lot of code red/vinegar syndrome/severin prints and so on

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

nightmare alley is now streaming on both hulu and hbomax (it's also a "remake" of the 1947 film/adaptation of the 1946 novel)
it's worth a watch for the sets/period-aesthetic. but im also a huge sucker for Steinbeck-era carnivale poo poo. cooper also acted the hell out of it

i saw the ending coming by like 20 minutes into the movie but i guess that's not always a bad thing. i think its bad when writers have to come up with some zany stupid twist that surely no one can ever see coming so i was okay with that.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The saddest loss is really the sort of Tarkovsky-esque auteurs who could tell a horrifically complex story in 2-3 hours while also allowing the pace to luxuriate on shots at the same time

there is something to be said for sitting through a Kubrick or a Tarkovsky etc and really letting your brain melt into their world for 3 hours straight at such a languid pace you are hypnotized but begging for the next thing

The streaming series are still often too beholden to the constructs of TV writing - with all the cliffhangers and A/B plotting and so on
i think you still get those, but they're more like A24 productions

Farm Frenzy posted:

the prestige bingable tv series format just makes good stories worse imo
also this

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

galagazombie posted:

a guy who’s bankrupted himself providing welfare to the poor.

truly the donald trump of gotham

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Batman? More like Badman.

The Riddler? More like The Diddler.

The Joker? More like The Stroker.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Airheads is such a dumb Fuckin movie. the cops would have just murdered these guys and beaten everyone in attendance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Dreylad posted:

Mark Rylance did an amazing job with the character. Just the perfect combination of Thiel, Musk, Zuck, and Jobs.

It's a much better character since it doesn't pattern itself on any one tech billionaire or their physical tics but instead is built off their attitudes. Musk absolutely would have announced that his team could solve the problem and proposed an over engineered solution, Jobs would easily have taunted people with their own deaths, etc.