Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TobinHatesYou posted:

Buy a Connex chain once and then keep reusing it wit my new chains. I don’t use regular quick links. It’s also great to have a spare Connex link in your saddle bag.

It’s a shame the connex chains are crazy expensive now. One day they’ll make a 12 speed road link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dunno about modern 10-11-12 speed stuff, but for traditional 9 speed, a bath in simple green in a ziploc bag or a tupperware container did wonders, rinse with water, then liberal application of Rock N Roll red seemed to do the trick for me every 1000 miles or so

As far as I can tell, Rock N Roll red is just parrafin wax dissolved in gasoline, and then when applied to the chain the solvent evaporates and leaves behind the parrafin wax

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Nearly hitting 70 km this week on the bike

I might do a little late night right to crack over it, its my biggest week yet by bike :D

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Hadlock posted:

Dunno about modern 10-11-12 speed stuff, but for traditional 9 speed, a bath in simple green in a ziploc bag or a tupperware container did wonders, rinse with water, then liberal application of Rock N Roll red seemed to do the trick for me every 1000 miles or so

As far as I can tell, Rock N Roll red is just parrafin wax dissolved in gasoline, and then when applied to the chain the solvent evaporates and leaves behind the parrafin wax

Citrus degreaser is as strong as Simple Green (regular) and doesn't have as much risk of hydrogen embrittlement. It's also like $12 for a gallon at Home Depot. It's mostly orange oil, so it's less of an environmental hazard to the already "non-toxic" Simple Green.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
As of this week I'm allowed to be at the office again, which means I'm actually riding bikes regularly. It's also getting bright out, with the sun actually existing in the mornings and most of the snow melting away. Today is a good day.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

First time I've heard the term hydrogen embrittlement outside of the spaceflight mega thread, can you elaborate on that in regards to simple green

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Hadlock posted:

First time I've heard the term hydrogen embrittlement outside of the spaceflight mega thread, can you elaborate on that in regards to simple green

Prolonged exposure to Simple Green causes surface cracks in the chain. Probably not a huge deal if you only use it once to flush out factory grease, but people do weird things like leaving it soaking for a couple hours or overnight.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

In love with this front mount, I can't stand having a big chunky light on the bars. Still not sure if it was worth $15 given it didn't even come with the screw. I have a slimmer Knog headlight that I won along with the taillight, but the mount for that is still in the mail from down under.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I like that style light mount except that it doesn't work with a trendy burrito bag

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Is anyone else having Strava ask for your birthdate every time you log in all of the sudden?

I am and it is loving irritating.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

TobinHatesYou posted:

poo poo like Zep Citrus is super strong and should be diluted at least 6:1 water:degreaser and honestly even 10:1 is probably fine. Oz Cycle is an idiot. He recommends using 100g of PTFE for 1kg of wax or something utterly insane…downright detrimental to efficiency because the PTFE will clump inside the rollers. Here’s a secret…the fasted wax (Silca Hot Melt) uses no PTFE at all. MSW may have phased it out in their rev2 recipe too.

I have the Silica SS Drip and it is as good as advertised.

And one of my bikes has 3 chain lengths of chain (recumbent) and the silence and lower friction is quite noticeable.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Weembles posted:

Is anyone else having Strava ask for your birthdate every time you log in all of the sudden?

I am and it is loving irritating.

I think it do that as part of children's privacy laws, it must have analyzed your riding.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

bicievino posted:

I like that style light mount except that it doesn't work with a trendy burrito bag

I prefer to wear my bags. Speaking of, I'm still looking for recommendations for good clip-on taillights for a backpack. Anything I've liked enough to seriously look at has had a bunch of reviews saying the clip is terrible and falls off. I'd prefer a nice round one, but anything remotely stylish will do.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I use Nite-Ize frosted ones with the flex wires:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/372793584021

Not stylish but easy to affix and the frosting means the flash mode is diffuse and not gonna pierce eyes of people behind you.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

solarNativity posted:

I prefer to wear my bags. Speaking of, I'm still looking for recommendations for good clip-on taillights for a backpack. Anything I've liked enough to seriously look at has had a bunch of reviews saying the clip is terrible and falls off. I'd prefer a nice round one, but anything remotely stylish will do.

Clip on a Hypershot 350. The traffic will know it’s there regardless of the direction it’s facing.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

TobinHatesYou posted:

Citrus degreaser is as strong as Simple Green (regular) and doesn't have as much risk of hydrogen embrittlement. It's also like $12 for a gallon at Home Depot. It's mostly orange oil, so it's less of an environmental hazard to the already "non-toxic" Simple Green.

I've definitely left my chains in SG for hours before but didn't see any cracking but that's interesting. Wish I didn't buy a gallon of SG a few months ago...I would have gotten the citrus stuff instead if I had known.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

TobinHatesYou posted:

Prolonged exposure to Simple Green causes surface cracks in the chain. Probably not a huge deal if you only use it once to flush out factory grease, but people do weird things like leaving it soaking for a couple hours or overnight.

What in simple green causes hydrogen embrittlement, though? During the degreasing process does it release hydrogen gas, or something? I've never ever heard of hydrogen embrittlement being an issue except in aerospace where they have thin walled tanks of high pressure hydrogen. Do you have a link or something?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

That's where I'm at. Road biking is Zen meditation for me. Nothing beyond this moment of pushing the pedals. Not thinking, just one endless moment. It's practically an entirely different sport from mountain biking, like as different as baseball and basketball.

I got a Wahoo trainer and used it twice. Just ain't the same as riding outside. My wife has been using it a bunch but I need to be outside.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I use Nite-Ize frosted ones with the flex wires:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/372793584021

Not stylish but easy to affix and the frosting means the flash mode is diffuse and not gonna pierce eyes of people behind you.
Do you really use a light that only takes disposable lithiums?

BraveUlysses posted:

I've definitely left my chains in SG for hours before but didn't see any cracking but that's interesting. Wish I didn't buy a gallon of SG a few months ago...I would have gotten the citrus stuff instead if I had known.
I don't think it matter for our use case.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Do you really use a light that only takes disposable lithiums?
They last quite a long time, and I didn't have misgivings about it when I had an eTap drivetrain. Though maybe I should have had. If anyone can recommend a similar light that has rechargeable battery or isn't coin only, I'm all ears.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The lights I use are either ancient from decent brands (Lezyne, PDW I think?) or fed from my e-assist battery, sorry :(

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Feb 20, 2022

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I haven't had to use non-dynamo powered lights since last July, and am about to sell my old computer and start using my touring bike for non child riding duty, and that also has dynamo lights.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
I have a hypershot on my bike, but I keep a Knog Plus to clip onto my backpack if I am using a Citibike. These are rechargeable and pretty loving great if your bag has a light loop.

https://www.knog.com/product/plus-free-rear/

osker fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 20, 2022

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

I've been out of bike stuff for a while, is there an 18650 or rechargeable rear light that will cause people to mistake me for an ambulance or UFO? I have an old planet bike super flash, but LEDs have gotten a lot better since then and I want a modesty priced rear light that can blind drivers from at least a block away.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

jetz0r posted:

I've been out of bike stuff for a while, is there an 18650 or rechargeable rear light that will cause people to mistake me for an ambulance or UFO? I have an old planet bike super flash, but LEDs have gotten a lot better since then and I want a modesty priced rear light that can blind drivers from at least a block away.

https://cygolite.com/product/hypershot-350-usb/

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Yep that'll do it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I looked up my old Lezyne stuff and was stunned to see the rear light I bought at the time was only 7 lumens, later got a Zecto Drive which I guess is 80 lumens, but this one is almost 4x as bright

Strip Drive Pro (300 Lumen) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087C8N7CS/

I guess it has some motion sensor built in that will set it to solid red when you slow down, or something. I dunno, I haven't tried it. Anything over 150 lumens for a rear light is crazy bright IMO. So great to see this tech improving so rapidly - only $60! holy poo poo

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Speaking of Knog, the spring in my Knog Oi Classic bell rusted and doesn’t work more. Anyone had this problem?

I guess the ideal solution would be to keep it dry but I’ve ridden to work every day since the pandemic began and it gets a lot of moisture.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I haven't had to use non-dynamo powered lights since last July, and am about to sell my old computer and start using my touring bike for non child riding duty, and that also has dynamo lights.
Oh aces. I totally understand wanting lithium backup lights. It's riding every day with those I didn't get.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
nvm lol

Never say winter is over I guess.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

I think somebody earlier in the thread posted a breakdown of the different fender companies relative to style and price, anybody got a recap/link?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

70 gallons of litter cleaned off 1/2 mile of MUP in 2 hours.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

amenenema posted:

I think somebody earlier in the thread posted a breakdown of the different fender companies relative to style and price, anybody got a recap/link?

There's a discussion starting here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933899&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=220#post516854726

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

solarNativity posted:

Here's another attempt. Sorry for many posts but I am in love with this bike, and especially this paint.

https://i.imgur.com/qu6YLnz.mp4

I have a Caledonia too - it's a great bike - but you may want to cover your chainstay in helicopter tape to protect that paint. The first time my chain dropped it took a chunk out of the paint there (all the way to the carbon - I was going fast). The chainstay protector is very stupid and doesn't protect where the chain would actually fall.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Do any of y'all have a Stages bike rather than an indoor trainer?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

god bless

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Sab0921 posted:

yes, there are many of us

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Sab0921 posted:

One of us, one of us

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Salt Fish posted:

Bike companies should sponsor the ever living poo poo out of anyone with this setup.