Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
New Vegas has a lot of conversational skill checks that aren't tied to Charisma or even the Speech skill, so it's not as necessary as in previous fallout games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
There's a mod that strips perk level requirements but not their skill requirements which I find pretty fun.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

TTW 3.3 was apparently complete back in October with the only thing left being to make an installer for it. I’m going to hold off until then to start a new run

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I looked at the character build spreadsheet someone linked at one point and jeez there are a lot of perks I want, so I've settled on keeping jsawyer's level cap but doing a perk per level.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Bogart posted:

There's a mod that strips perk level requirements but not their skill requirements which I find pretty fun.

YES, this mod (or whichever similar one I use) is essential

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm a big fan of Portable Tent; it costs like 3500 caps or so, can be bought in Goodsprings or Novac, and it's basically a portable player housing complete with configurable inventory auto-sorting and container crafting. You can adjust how much it weighs, how long it takes to unpack, even switch to a Backpack mode that can, if you want, grant between 0 and 200 carry weight bonus.

(You can also use it to smuggle gear into DLC that limit or remove the gear you bring in, but that's really on you for doing so, right?)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No one will believe me but I'm telling you. You want your weight limit lower not higher. Break the junk hoover mindset

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

No one will believe me but I'm telling you. You want your weight limit lower not higher. Break the junk hoover mindset

I put it back down to 50 and added a mod that provides a 50 pound backpack buyable in goodsprings. compromise?

also goddamn mods can't help but slapfight about whether varmint rifles come in .22 or 5.56 can they, i look at that record (vnv and fallout new vegas's community seem allergic to just running bashed patches and using LOOT) and everything has their loving fingers in it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
One of the great things about JSUE is how modular it is. You can turn off practically any of the changes it or the original mod made, and tweak a bajillion other things.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah, the Varmint Rifle stuff is bizarre, since you'll never use it beyond Goodsprings anyway unless you're going for Ratslayer's early sniping.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bogart posted:

Yeah, the Varmint Rifle stuff is bizarre, since you'll never use it beyond Goodsprings anyway unless you're going for Ratslayer's early sniping.

I mean arguably the bigger change is that it makes 5.56 more scarce, which will matter.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
viva las vegas has a couple hidden mods in one of its giant wrapups of tweaks that make everything in goodsprings faction owned, including random loot in mailboxes and everything in doc mitchell's house

nice, nice

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

No :colbert:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I love VNV but once you get past the performance tweaks you start wandering into "why doesn't this game kick me in the junk when I load my game?" territory.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

I love VNV but once you get past the performance tweaks you start wandering into "why doesn't this game kick me in the junk when I load my game?" territory.

Luckily I hosed poo poo up bad enough that I’m just gonna have to reinstall from scratch and this time I’ll go over it in specific detail. Speaking of, I’m guessing there’s no replacements for the expanded crafting recipe menu mod VNV uses even though it’s super old and creaky?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Are you talking about JIP Improved Recipe Menu? I'm using it in my current playthrough and it's great.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

making the varmint rifle .22 is one of those things people do because they care way more about something being true to life than good game design. it’s such an absurd thing people go so far out of their way to “fix” like it was never supposed to be .22 the game does not get better by it being .22 stop loving trying to make a .22 varmint rifle happen. it’s not gonna happen

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

watho posted:

making the varmint rifle .22 is one of those things people do because they care way more about something being true to life than good game design. it’s such an absurd thing people go so far out of their way to “fix” like it was never supposed to be .22 the game does not get better by it being .22 stop loving trying to make a .22 varmint rifle happen. it’s not gonna happen

Which is doubly stupid because .223/5.56 is probably the most commonly used varminting round out there. They’re trying to make it more true to life without having any idea what they’re doing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

watho posted:

stop loving trying to make a .22 varmint rifle happen. it’s not gonna happen

There are plenty of mods that disrupt the original balance of the game, I don’t get why this one’s such a big deal to you people.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The new vegas equivalent of "I don't want to play as loving Pontus"

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Rinkles posted:

There are plenty of mods that disrupt the original balance of the game, I don’t get why this one’s such a big deal to you people.

because it gets presented as a “fix” that this was the original intention of the designers and so a bunch of random seemingly completely unrelated mods (like JSUE) will for seemingly no reason decide to turn the varmint rifle into a .22lr gun

watho
Aug 2, 2013

like i’ve made a mod that changes the flame weapons from energy to explosives because i personally think that makes more sense but i’m not gonna bake that into a random fix mod because i’m
convinced this is the way it should be played. at least with stevie and jsue it’s off by default now and just an option but there’s more

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's aggravating because the game's actual director has actually said "we did not want the varmint rifle to be .22" out loud

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

watho posted:

like i’ve made a mod that changes the flame weapons from energy to explosives because i personally think that makes more sense but i’m not gonna bake that into a random fix mod because i’m
convinced this is the way it should be played. at least with stevie and jsue it’s off by default now and just an option but there’s more

Yeah, in my case it was jsue and stevie fighting and then the equipment restoration project going in and really trying to force it to be .22. (even making it so sunny gave me .22 rounds after I'd fixed the varmint rifle itself, so I had to buy a .22 silenced pistol from chet to actually fire gun) idk, maybe i just drop the equipment restoration project, I don't need that stuff and ratslayer does look pretty good for my guns/cowboy build.

Pope Guilty posted:

Are you talking about JIP Improved Recipe Menu? I'm using it in my current playthrough and it's great.

Yes, it was freezing when I opened any crafting station and I looked at the comments and it's not been updated in ages and seems to have problems with mods adding a bunch of new recipes (like Mojave Arsenal, which I'd really like to use).

Anyway, I'll try a reinstall and see how things go this time.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Okay, so a manual reinstall (minus some mods I really wasn't attached to like equipment restoration project and without some of the VNV stuff that I didn't want) ended up fixing everything. One odd thing though, originally opening a crafting station would freeze until I enabled JIP Improved Recipe Menu and put it at the very end of my load order. Something higher up ain't happy, I guess.

And I've now got a 5.56 varmint rifle with a night scope attached and can head to Primm!

One last question: how is FNVulkan working out for people? Is it worth using? I'm not using any ENB or ReShade or anything, just curious about the performance/stability benefits.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It gave me a pretty big boost on my previous pc. There are occasional stutters which is related to shader compilation. Those should go away the longer you play, but I didn't test it extensively. It resets every time you reboot the game, though.

With my current pc, I might not bother, but I would on my old pc because there were a lot of areas (like sections of the strip) where my FPS would suddenly get rather low and FNVulkan helped out.

e:another thing is that the shading around certain things, like grass, will be dithered (like a checkerboarded pattern).

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 21, 2022

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

So I've apparently sold a friend on this game to the point where she wants to play it with me, which I think is great! We're pretty different in how we like our games though, so I'm looking for a good mod setup to give her the ideal experience.

• We'll play with a controller on a big TV
  • She gets scared easily - Breath of the Wild is basically a horror game to her
  • She's not a very experienced action gamer and I'm definitely not looking to make combat any harder than vanilla
  • Mostly she's interested in the world and the characters, less interested in mechanics

With this stuff in mind, are there any immediate recommendations? Would be much appreciated!

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Honestly I'd keep most things the same and just turn the difficulty down appropriately. Follow the Viva New Vegas guide up to the bug fixes section to get a stable experience and you'll be good to go, I think.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Woebin posted:

So I've apparently sold a friend on this game to the point where she wants to play it with me, which I think is great! We're pretty different in how we like our games though, so I'm looking for a good mod setup to give her the ideal experience.

• We'll play with a controller on a big TV
  • She gets scared easily - Breath of the Wild is basically a horror game to her
  • She's not a very experienced action gamer and I'm definitely not looking to make combat any harder than vanilla
  • Mostly she's interested in the world and the characters, less interested in mechanics

With this stuff in mind, are there any immediate recommendations? Would be much appreciated!

Maybe avoid Dead Money.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Ghouls and cazadors, got a plan there?

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Be sure to direct her to the secret chest full of caps and high level weapons in Quarry Junction.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pope Guilty posted:

Maybe avoid Dead Money.

Yeah, definitely.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

Be sure to direct her to the secret chest full of caps and high level weapons in Quarry Junction.

I think this is a joke. I hope it’s a joke because I looked it up on the wiki and that’s a hellhole full of deathclaws.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Arivia posted:

I think this is a joke. I hope it’s a joke because I looked it up on the wiki and that’s a hellhole full of deathclaws.

Well, you can find both a fat man and a light machine gun there.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

oh please those are easy, i can find those by turning off my monitor!!!!

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Arivia posted:

Yes, definitely. Very early on in the campaign you get told your goal lies in New Vegas, and a character tells you there's two ways to get there - the short way (north) and the long way around (South and basically tracing 80% of a circle). Then she tells you no one goes north anymore because it's full of "creatures that just get mad if you shoot them." Quarry Junction is on the north route, and very close to where you start.

Technically it's possible to make it. Barely. But the game really intends for you to go south.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Simsmagic posted:

Honestly I'd keep most things the same and just turn the difficulty down appropriately. Follow the Viva New Vegas guide up to the bug fixes section to get a stable experience and you'll be good to go, I think.
That's fair enough, I guess. I was thinking about stuff like UI mods that are controller friendly and other QoL improvements, but most of that stuff tends to be geared towards mouse and keyboard in my experience. I'm gonna look around a bit though, if the thread doesn't have a definite "use this one" type response on that front.

Pope Guilty posted:

Maybe avoid Dead Money.
Hah yeah, we'll see how that goes. I'm gonna let her play mostly blind and avoid backseat driving as much as I can, but if we end up in that space I might have to take the controller for a bit. We'll work it out!

Chronojam posted:

Ghouls and cazadors, got a plan there?
Yeah, I think the plan is to be affectionately amused at her reaction to them, then pause the game and hug her if it gets too much.

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

I'm not falling for this trap.

Anyway who knows, maybe we'll play for half an hour and she'll decide it's not for her, or maybe she'll get super into it. I'm just excited to share my favorite game with my best friend.

Thanks for the replies so far 🙂

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Doing some light digging I've found something you might want to take a peek at. Dynamic Controller Mod was released last month and is specifically designed to allow you to remap everything, as well as adding all sorts of modded keybinds. Now you can sprint and quickthrow grenades without needing a mouse or keyboard!

Note that it seems to require a bit of setup, so I'd suggest doing that on your own beforehand. In fact, you could setup a lot of this New Vegas modlist in advance, as everything managed by Mod Organizer 2 could simply be copied over to an external drive and then added onto her computer perfectly intact. It'd certainly save some download time.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

ThaumPenguin posted:

Doing some light digging I've found something you might want to take a peek at. Dynamic Controller Mod was released last month and is specifically designed to allow you to remap everything, as well as adding all sorts of modded keybinds. Now you can sprint and quickthrow grenades without needing a mouse or keyboard!

Note that it seems to require a bit of setup, so I'd suggest doing that on your own beforehand. In fact, you could setup a lot of this New Vegas modlist in advance, as everything managed by Mod Organizer 2 could simply be copied over to an external drive and then added onto her computer perfectly intact. It'd certainly save some download time.
This is great, thanks! And I'm setting everything up myself ahead of time, she doesn't have a computer fit for games anyway. The idea is for this playthrough to be a hangout activity 🙂

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

ThaumPenguin posted:

I really want to map prone to this but am feeling lazy.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/49491

Maybe tomorrow.