Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Regulus74 posted:

EDIT: Or I guess it's possible that someone at GW is related to some First Nations people or to someone who just happened to be in the way of whichever mass murdering informant the rcmp was letting rampage around the provinces at the time.

Oh yeah, pretending Canada is some squeaky clean land of nice, friendly people would be ludicrously ignorant, I guess I just expected Warhammer Canada to be a bit more on the nose with the satire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Oh yeah, pretending Canada is some squeaky clean land of nice, friendly people would be ludicrously ignorant, I guess I just expected Warhammer Canada to be a bit more on the nose with the satire.

It just shows that even the British struggle to remember Canada exists as something distinct from the US.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

On a nurgle wastes map I suddenly noticed my furies were like flying straight up into orbit and it seems there is this little floaty blimp tentacle thingy in the sky and well it has camera and unit collision so somebody should make a loving dragon fly reaaaaally high

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Sinteres posted:

It just shows that even the British struggle to remember Canada exists as something distinct from the US.

In all honesty that might actually be the joke. :v:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So dumb question, but how the hell do I confederate? I just got a mission/prompt telling me to do so, but there is no option on the diplomacy screen as far as I can tell. The most I can do is make them a vassal

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

First go through in the chaos realms and I was really down on it. Went into nurgles realm and ate tons of attrition damage, got really nasty trait, and while it was cool to watch the AI's also punch through the nurglites their replenishment was much better and they weren't even really slowed down by them. Got kicked out by skarbrand and had to sit in a garrison for 6-7 turns to burn off the entirety of the bad trait, meanwhile all kinds of chaos corruption was loving my lands and neighbors

Second time around I was prepared. Katarina grabbed several anti-attrition and replenishment skills, and I activated the replenishment invocation when I went through the portal. I had two heroes and an army positioned around my territories, and they quickly sewed everything up internally before anything more than agents could come through the rifts, and then I sent them to help out my neighbors. Katarina's stack was able to take several fights and heal up rapidly in between them, and we made it out with a soul and only the first level of the bad trait. I'm actually really liking it now, although I can definitely see why people aren't liking having to plan around it

Also as an aside, the Demon Prince is eating poo poo this playthrough and I'm loving it. He got jumped by the Druzhina enclave the first time he showed up, and then during Bear Roar 2 he showed up in the chaos realms three turns late with a pathetic quarter stack and immediately got dumpstered by the locals

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gonkish posted:

All of the ME starts and presumed WH3 faction starts on the prototype IE map from the files. GEE, LOOK AT THAT GIANT CHORF-SHAPED HOLE IN THE DARKLANDS. :allears:

I imagine Tretch will be moved to the dark lands as that is were his base normally is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jadebullet posted:

So dumb question, but how the hell do I confederate? I just got a mission/prompt telling me to do so, but there is no option on the diplomacy screen as far as I can tell. The most I can do is make them a vassal

Apparently chaos gets those even though they can't confederate, it's a bug, are you playing as chaos?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Even with the mediocre map performance I’m still having a great time. I like Kislev’s mechanics and there are just enough new baseline mechanics that I’m more invested in playing the campaign layer than I ever was in unmodded TWW2. Battles seem to run really smoothly, and I’ve really enjoyed the minor settlement fights even with some wobbly path finding. Aside from the supply lines thing I don’t know if I’ve even been affected by a bug so far, so I’m pretty lucky there I guess.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I came back to kislev after doing cathay for a bit and I'm warming up to it (:v:) honestly. Think it might have been partly culture shock from playing a lot of SFO empire/dwarves (for which cathay was a much nicer transition) and I really like the campaign geography for them so far, big open steppe with the major cities and mountains ringing the sides, gives a great sense of where you want to fortify to to keep the angry lads out.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I'm at turn 115 of the Miao Ying campaign. I've got all of Northern Cathay and the bastion fully upgraded and I'm just skipping turns to get the last soul and trying to ignore all the Chaos agent spam - which is back with a vengeance in this game.

I completely forget what Cathay's motivation in this whole thing is? To restore harmony? I'm sick of fighting these cookie cutter Norscan stacks that swarm the gates every 20 or so turns and there's no way to stop it. Even maxed out you're still guaranteed to have the bastion attacked. I'm stuck having like 75% of my resources dedicated to stopping these bastion attacks. I can't expand beyond the gate because Chaos corruption give a -300 growth penalty so you'll never be able to get any walls or garrisons to protect against the 10 odd stacks of Norscans that appear out of nowhere every 20 turns. I can't expand south unless I want to declare war on Zhao Ying and I can't confederate him.

I like Cathay's armies and Miao Ying is a lot of fun to play in battles but this campaign has become tedious, repetitive, and boring. The Ying/Yang mechanic is just annoying. I've stopped researching any technologies because that +8% ammo for peasant bowmen or the 10% replenishment for terracotta warriors just isn't worth losing the buff I get for staying in balance.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

OwlFancier posted:

Apparently chaos gets those even though they can't confederate, it's a bug, are you playing as chaos?

Yeah, I'm playing as chaos. One of the norsca took the last city I need to own a province so I figured I would just confederate them.

Are you saying I can't confederate the norscan tribes? That's so stupid.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm reinstalling Warhammer 2. I'm definitely not like done with or even uninstalling 3, but between performance issues (which I think it's fair to say both the current state of the game and my hardware are contributing to), the lack of mods, and some other annoyances, I think I'm going to give it some time and come back to it in a few weeks instead of trying to force it now. I somehow never actually beat the Vortex as Malekith, I guess because I didn't want to play dark elves early on before Norsca got fixed and then only played Malus with his unique objectives on the Vortex map later on, so I figure I'll give that a shot and see how it goes. And if I end up missing some stuff from 3, I'll have that to look forward to when mod support comes out.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Gelt's clearly shipping him wealth from off-map.

That sounds like a mechanic. Every x turns if you have an Iron mine, you can turn it into gold, or he gets gold for trade from Iron provinces? I'm dumb and never had Warhammer 1 or 2, so maybe something like that already exists for Gelt.

I wish I felt more...comfortable with a faction or my growth/money.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jadebullet posted:

Yeah, I'm playing as chaos. One of the norsca took the last city I need to own a province so I figured I would just confederate them.

Are you saying I can't confederate the norscan tribes? That's so stupid.

Well, norscans are a different faction, so no, even if chaos could confederate in theory. Usually factions either get vassalage or confederation, but you can only ever confederate your own faction because you get their lords and armies etc.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Can I confederate the other chaos gods? Or is that a no go as well?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not as far as I know? That's not really chaos's thing, they all hate each other as much as they hate everyone else. Vassalage is you subjugating people, confederations is for the more diplomatically minded factions.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

khorne needs no allies! or subjects!

Just more skulls.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

1. more skulls for us
2. gently caress you

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I completely forget what Cathay's motivation in this whole thing is? To restore harmony? I'm sick of fighting these cookie cutter Norscan stacks that swarm the gates every 20 or so turns and there's no way to stop it. Even maxed out you're still guaranteed to have the bastion attacked. I'm stuck having like 75% of my resources dedicated to stopping these bastion attacks. I can't expand beyond the gate because Chaos corruption give a -300 growth penalty so you'll never be able to get any walls or garrisons to protect against the 10 odd stacks of Norscans that appear out of nowhere every 20 turns. I can't expand south unless I want to declare war on Zhao Ying and I can't confederate him.

Dragon Kids want little sister back, little sister went missing in Chaos Wastes but dunno where, but somehow they know that Big Bear knows where she is so go save Big Bear.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cathay seems to have gotten the short end of the stick in terms of story since the campaign motivation is dumb and they don't have quest battles, so my personal dream wish DLC (which I don't think is very likely) is a lord pack that explicitly focuses on a conflict between a loyalist Cathayan lord and the Monkey King. I figure they're more likely to have the Monkey King face off against an external enemy though, especially since they've seeded the stuff about Chaos impersonating him. Either way, I hope they get more of an opportunity to delve deeper into the lore of the faction as they expand it.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Maybe some stars will align and GW will let the TTRPG write a setting book about it .Cubicle7 usually puts out good work all told.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Something I've always wondered is if allying with a faction turns off some of their AI bonuses or makes the AI dumb. As Tzeentch I allied with the main Nurgle and Korne factions and they seem absolutely worthless. They are running randomly around with half stacks while Kislev is attacking them with like five stacks.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

OwlFancier posted:

That's not really chaos's thing, they all hate each other as much as they hate everyone else. Vassalage is you subjugating people, confederations is for the more diplomatically minded factions.

All this mortal stuff is just a side gig to them, the great game is where the real poo poo goes down and a chaos god isn't going to gently caress themselves over some transient dirtball that's gonna be space dust sooner or later no matter what they do.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 20, 2022

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

jadebullet posted:

Can I confederate the other chaos gods? Or is that a no go as well?

Think of all the other chaos factions as different races, and you can only confederate with your own race. So, no, you can't confederate anyone else right now. If/when we get different monogod LLs, you MIGHT be able to, but most of the demons don't actually do diplomacy in normal ways.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

lmao what the gently caress were they thinking with these siege battles?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I'm like 80% sure two Tzeentch factions confederated, course that doesn't necessarily mean a player can do it

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Gonkish posted:

All of the ME starts and presumed WH3 faction starts on the prototype IE map from the files. GEE, LOOK AT THAT GIANT CHORF-SHAPED HOLE IN THE DARKLANDS. :allears:
i'm seein' double

four queeks

e: nakai has the same thing going on and tbh i don't know how you fit anyone else into Lustria even if his Albion start is terrible

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

siege battles have never been fun or good why the gently caress are they still in the game and more prominent than ever

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm honestly enjoying the siege battles a lot more tbh, aside from the annoying towers I'm actually pushing through or falling back through settlements to try and keep control of the points, stop enemies making a beeline for them, while also fighting the ones that actually try and pin down my units.

The AI doesn't seem smart but it does, on aggregate, seem to give me a bunch of objectives across a lot of the map, and I wouldn't call it predictable which is a big improvement from TW2.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
"Cathay does not have good caster choices/schools."

Try casting Constellation of the Dragon in Yang, the biggest fire spell that does the explosion burst.

Kills: 153
Damage Done: 40k
Damage Value: 3350 gold

It's not Malagor busted but them's some pretty good winds, 3 casts + a Fire Wall vs a Norscan 40 stack in the field. And the animation and sounds are :discourse:

Gained 4 levels in a battle lmao

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yang is a great lore, but the lord itself is suuuuper squishy. They have decent melee stats but just no armor. Magistrates and your heroes are even worse, though with the dragon blooded lords it feels weird because the model is super armored. Reminds me of Warrior Priests original debut with a similarly low amount of armor.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Daemon Prince could use 75% fewer custom options with meaningful stat changes instead of... whatever it is I've been getting by spreading favour around evenly. God drat is his faction ever slow to get good units, too.

I'd really like to see CA expand the system to all legendary lords even with just a few options like Dawn of War Dark Crusade.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Shumagorath posted:

Daemon Prince could use 75% fewer custom options with meaningful stat changes instead of... whatever it is I've been getting by spreading favour around evenly. God drat is his faction ever slow to get good units, too.

I'd really like to see CA expand the system to all legendary lords even with just a few options like Dawn of War Dark Crusade.

I would love if every item you get was at least "interesting" instead of how most are just stat boosts or forgettable minor stat boosts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

At least the fusion mechanic helps you get to more significant items.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I like the new siege/settlement battles

My Kislev playthrough was an easy romp until suddenly it wasn't and now I'm running around trying to stop various horrific chaos things wrecking all my poo poo from every direction

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah, I'm also enjoying them a lot. There's a lot of pathing issues as Ogres and some very ??? layouts for some of the maps but other than that they're very tactical and I enjoy thinking about how to best split up my forces.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm sticking with my criticism of infinite towers in siege battles but I'm also thinking I'm going to be changing my tune when I'm on the defense. It also doesn't help that Katarin's army and low-tier Kislev are kinda hosed for good assault troops and thus attacking settlements sucks rear end for them.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I agree that (non-monstrous) cavalry feels a bit anemic.

People seemed to really like the lethality of properly-used cavalry charges in Three Kingdoms, balanced by the charge reflection of braced spears. Why not implement that in Warhammer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Gonkish posted:

god i hope it aint this. lustria and naggaroth and ulthuan all super squeezed sucks