Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Gutcruncher posted:

So why does Peacemaker care so much about having killed Rick Flag and keep remembering it? Hes killed like a jillion people and it never felt like there was anything between the two of them in suicide squad so like, let it go dude.

Pretty sure he cares about being called a joke. ‘Cuz he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Pretty sure he cares about being called a joke. ‘Cuz he is.

Yeah he's not thinking about the time he killed Rick Flagg, he's thinking about the time Rick Flagg called him a joke.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
In several different places now I've seen some made-too-well meme, always a different one, saying Repo is an overlooked masterpiece.

This feels more astroturfed than Disney "controversies"

Like different websites, difference subs of those websites, and always a meme that looks like it was done by a graphic artist. It doesn't feel even remotely organic.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Gutcruncher posted:

So why does Peacemaker care so much about having killed Rick Flag and keep remembering it? Hes killed like a jillion people and it never felt like there was anything between the two of them in suicide squad so like, let it go dude.

It made him question his identity. He based it on being the “peace maker” and that revealed to him that he was blindly acting contrary to the best interests of his own person ethos

He’s a bad guy because he never stopped to think about others, and the arc of the season was him building a squad and sticking with them instead of seeking peace at any costs

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
The company that distributed Ben and Arthur has a lot of other super low budget LGBT movies available on DVD, most of which have no information other than the DVD cover and a short plot synopsis. I kinda want to buy some but I also doubt that they can live up to synopses like this;

After having his true love Toby snatched from his arms and dragged into hell's realm, Lucas followed in vain searching and fighting his way through the demonic hordes in the underworld. A year later, Lucas is summoned back to earth by his immortal friend Mikal to help stop Lilith, the Queen Mother of the Vampires, and her devilish plan to create a master vampire race using students from an esteemed college. With the help of a powerful witch and her coven, Lucas continues his search for his immortal lover Toby while trying to stop Lilith’s evil plan.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Can now Confirm.

Freddie Stoma was indeed great in Peacemaker. I don't know if there is going to be a 2nd season but I'd like to see more of Vigilante.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

The company that distributed Ben and Arthur has a lot of other super low budget LGBT movies available on DVD, most of which have no information other than the DVD cover and a short plot synopsis. I kinda want to buy some but I also doubt that they can live up to synopses like this;

After having his true love Toby snatched from his arms and dragged into hell's realm, Lucas followed in vain searching and fighting his way through the demonic hordes in the underworld. A year later, Lucas is summoned back to earth by his immortal friend Mikal to help stop Lilith, the Queen Mother of the Vampires, and her devilish plan to create a master vampire race using students from an esteemed college. With the help of a powerful witch and her coven, Lucas continues his search for his immortal lover Toby while trying to stop Lilith’s evil plan.

Look man, there's two ways that plays out:

1) It's a gay Evil Dead, absolute MasterCraft on no money.

2) It's a gay Demon Cop. Ben and Arthur but with spirit hallow ween masks, trash bag hallways and red flood lights.

You literally can't go wrong here.

Unless it's boring, and it'll probably be pretty boring.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Almost finished with Peacemaker and it's loving strange that John Cena is one of the best comedic actors working but I guess that just be how it be sometimes.

I don't know anything about his wrestling, but I remember Cena showing up on the WWE Divas reality TV show around 2013 or so, and he made an impression on me, because I thought he was clearly depressed, and also very smart

Those are like the 2 big ingredients for a comedian

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Almost finished with Peacemaker and it's loving strange that John Cena is one of the best comedic actors working but I guess that just be how it be sometimes.

Makes sense to me. Most of pro wrestling today is already self parody.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
seems to be 2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx9fzCft1F8

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah he's not thinking about the time he killed Rick Flagg, he's thinking about the time Rick Flagg called him a joke.

This, and also IIRC his breakdown with those flashbacks happens after a day full of the crew Incessantly mocking him and calling him a piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat, and he's thinking about the things that make them right.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

In several different places now I've seen some made-too-well meme, always a different one, saying Repo is an overlooked masterpiece.

This feels more astroturfed than Disney "controversies"

Like different websites, difference subs of those websites, and always a meme that looks like it was done by a graphic artist. It doesn't feel even remotely organic.

The entire Repo thing was astroturf from the start; it's like the creator entirely missed the point of Rocky Horror, but tried cram Repo into the same mold after the fact, hoping it would stay a "thing" like RHPS was only crossed with mall goth. The dude has has super-fans still but overall that didn't work. I guess now they're trying to repackage it (again) like it was somehow secretly bad on purpose?

Like RHPS is not the pinnacle of filmmaking, but on a base level it sets out what it tries to do; it's a fun and good-natured tribute to/parody of of C grade sci-fi-exploitation movies and makes that abundantly clear from the start. I've seen people put it as an example of being "so bad it's good" but it's not, and that's missing the point; RHPS actually pulled off a pretty remarkable feat of parodying bad movies, not actually being one by accident. It's flawed, but it does what it said on the tin, so golf clap for it.

In a mirror Universe where the creator of Repo understood themes and subtext (even subtext as obvious as RHPS') and wanted to do a modern RHPS, Repo would be a musical/opera that ostensibly looks like, well, like what Repo was, but is actually a parody/commentary on late-90s edgy culture and the mall-goth "The World is a Dark Place, Non-Conformity Rules(tm)" aesthetic. But they didn't and it's just a slog.

tl;dr being a lovely movie does not make that movie secretly a parody of what that movie tried to be.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/TheAdamSass/status/1495067373409161218

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/cal_gif/status/1495098195344568321

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
for a second I though lyle the intern was playing the riddler, but realized that's a different actor

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Officially tired of the "young actor goes CUH-RAZY playing generic Batman villain" story

No they didn't. And if they did then loving never let them work in film because that's an incredibly dangerous person if their psychological state can be destroyed by putting on a costume and they might kill someone if you cast them as anything other than a Hallmark movie love interest.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Dude will have to be institutionalized if he's ever in a movie with Jared Leto.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Officially tired of the "young actor goes CUH-RAZY playing generic Batman villain" story

No they didn't. And if they did then loving never let them work in film because that's an incredibly dangerous person if their psychological state can be destroyed by putting on a costume and they might kill someone if you cast them as anything other than a Hallmark movie love interest.

it's clickbait, what the actor actually said was 'yeah playing the riddler I had to be super high energy all the time, and once you get keyed up like that it's hard to come down from it so I had some trouble sleeping'.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

It's gross. PR people trying to cash in on Heath Ledger's death.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
"Riddle me this Batman: Who drank my milk shake? Who drank it up?"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Scream 5 is pretty good. I did not like the interminable scenes of everyone sitting around going "maybe you're the killer" "well maybe YOU'RE the killer". But all the meta stuff was fun and Jack Quaid was very engaging.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Imagine any other profession where this was normal and acceptable.

"Yeah I just can't really fill out the spreadsheet unless I send used condoms and dead rodents to my coworkers. It's just my accounts payable technique".

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
method acting worked for Heath Joker and Daniel Day Louis and the guy that played Chris R in The Room

that's it though
Jarjar Lento stank. he just looked like a dumb idiot

oh and I guess Leo got an oscar when that bear raped him

Maryl Streep gave up on method after The Devil Wears Prada and look what happened- NOTHING she's still one of the finest living actors. so what the gently caress

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Laurence Olivier: "Why don't you try acting, my dear boy"

Vakal
May 11, 2008

That's why Jack had to give up dressing as a clown.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

PostNouveau posted:

I did not like the interminable scenes of everyone sitting around going "maybe you're the killer" "well maybe YOU'RE the killer".
it's kinda weird that the Scream movies have always been whodunnits when they're a send-up of slashers and that was almost never an element in slasher movies

e: I guess Sleepaway Camp and Friday the 13th part 5
but it really isn't that common
generally you know who the killer is
most slashers were like urban legends, socially speaking, it's the man with the hook for a hand, they're stories about kids meeting the grisly random violence of an untamed world when they stray too far from civilization

e2: maybe that's one of the reasons Scream has managed to persist well into the new millennium. as cultural fears shift from the dangerous outside to the sickness already with us something somethng

Cubone fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 20, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

rydiafan posted:

This, and also IIRC his breakdown with those flashbacks happens after a day full of the crew Incessantly mocking him and calling him a piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat, and he's thinking about the things that make them right.

Which breakdown because there's more than one i think

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Cubone posted:

it's kinda weird that the Scream movies have always been whodunnits when they're a send-up of slashers and that was almost never an element in slasher movies

Yeah most slashers if they don't have an outright Freddy/Jason/Michael Myers have a dumb setup where you think it's Dave the whole time and the stupid twist that makes no sense is that it was actually Becky. (see: My Bloody Valentine, Nail gun Massacre, Black Christmas, etc.)

Whodunnit and Slasher are pretty much incompatible because slashers rely on an imminent threat and everyone being dumb as hell, and whodunnit, at least a good one, requires misdirect and motive and everyone having some depth to them that gives you an alibi and a motive, which is far more effort than goes into bimbo, weed guy, jock, horndog, slut, virgin, sadboi, and partyman.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
My review of Peacemaker: I enjoyed it despite being kinda tired of dark comedy superhero stuff.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Which breakdown because there's more than one i think

I was thinking of the one where Vigilante catches him doing his face exercises.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i thought the butterflies' mission was a little dorky though

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Rinkles posted:

My review of Peacemaker: I enjoyed it despite being kinda tired of dark comedy superhero stuff.

I really liked it because The Boys is supposed to be the dark comedy anti-superhero show and then Peacemaker is the anti-The Boys

It's lighthearted and fun while brushing against heavy themes instead of absolutely wallowing in misery and throwing out a joke. Which is, hilariously, exactly what the DC universe is, so it gets double points for being different from the thing it's different from that's parodying the thing while being the same and oh dear I've gone cross-eyed.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I totally agree.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Also, absolutely bitchin' soundtrack

I love 80s glam butt rock anyways, and they pulled out some deep cuts.

And these guys own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w07N2nfB7KY

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 20, 2022

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Peacemaker soundtrack rules. I love Hanoi Rocks. John Cena playing Motley Crue on the piano was bad rear end too.

I like The Boys but Peacemaker is definitely way more fun. The Boys/Invincible are just dour as gently caress. If it wasn't for Anthony Starr and JK Simmons respectively I would have written those shows off.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Also, absolutely bitchin' soundtrack

I love 80s glam butt rock anyways, and they pulled out some deep cuts.

And these guys own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w07N2nfB7KY

That and the cover of Pumped Up Kicks (I hate the original version) have been dominating my playlist.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I avoided Suicide Squad, but I've been watching that Nightmare Future scene from Justice League, so that's my most prolonged exposure to the Leto Joker and something about the way he's playing him ALMOST sort of clicked with me. I'm not sure if I like it, but I'll use a comparison here:

The Ledger Joker felt like it was playing into something of a trickster-based direction on the character.

The Leto Joker feels like it's playing into being the Joker as a 'internet troll' or 'living meme'. I can't really think of a better way to put it. It was like everything he's saying and doing feels like it's intentionally trying to evoke a living version of the "I'm not touching you!" or "U Mad, Bro?"

The greatest joke the Joker ever pulled was making us hate him.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
He's completely different in Suicide Squad and is a lame mobster who hangs out at titty bars and acts like a pissy goth teen

It's painfully embarrassing to watch

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

He's completely different in Suicide Squad and is a lame mobster who hangs out at titty bars and acts like a pissy goth teen

It's painfully embarrassing to watch

Too close to home?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

https://youtu.be/PLLQK9la6Go?t=175