Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Yuumi actually has a surprisingly strong mastery curve. Riot shared a bunch of their data a while back in a blog post, and I recall her mastery curve being up near to Akali's. I think it's easy to see her as being a "AFK while watching Netflix" champ, but determining who to sit on, when to hop out for passive, when to swap between allies (especially when using ult), and how to play the level 1-3 in lane is really drat hard against competent players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Using her passive at all makes you a better yuumi than most

Barudak
May 7, 2007

henkman posted:

Using her passive at all makes you a better yuumi than most

This is what I gathered, so far.

Had the game throw me into a match with grandmasters and while we won I don't feel like I contributed much.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Barudak posted:

This is what I gathered, so far.

Had the game throw me into a match with grandmasters and while we won I don't feel like I contributed much.

Sometimes all you need to do to win is not lose badly

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It's fine to just take a bus ride if it becomes obvious you've got a highly competent driver. If my top or mid are absolutely smashing within the first 10 minutes, I'll drop all pretensions of trying to be The Carry and focus on warding up for them and controlling objectives to try and draw away pressure so they can do their thing.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Vermain posted:

It's fine to just take a bus ride if it becomes obvious you've got a highly competent driver. If my top or mid are absolutely smashing within the first 10 minutes, I'll drop all pretensions of trying to be The Carry and focus on warding up for them and controlling objectives to try and draw away pressure so they can do their thing.

Yeah I feel like one of the most important league skills is knowing how to be carried, especially when your lane has gone south but somewhere else on the map is wrecking things

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It's not exactly League, but the LoR reveal of Udyr is a decent showcase of the aesthetic direction they're going in with his rework. Hell of an upgrade for the ol' waddling fat bear we all know and love. Sadly, it looks like Turtle got the axe in favor of being replaced by Boar, which does make a tad more sense in the Freljord.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Vermain posted:

Yuumi actually has a surprisingly strong mastery curve. Riot shared a bunch of their data a while back in a blog post, and I recall her mastery curve being up near to Akali's. I think it's easy to see her as being a "AFK while watching Netflix" champ, but determining who to sit on, when to hop out for passive, when to swap between allies (especially when using ult), and how to play the level 1-3 in lane is really drat hard against competent players.

I would believe that, but it's just that none of that seems very engaging minute-to-minute. I mean, for 99% of a typical League match you're constantly clicking the map to keep your champ in motion, and when you cut most of that part out you end up not actually DOING very much for long stretches of time. I dunno, if you enjoy playing Yuumi it's whatever, I just thought it was so desperately boring that I wanted out of a match after ten minutes even though we were up like 15-5.

I also really don't like having a Yuumi on me because I really don't want anyone inspecting my erratic weird movements or the foolish decisions I make with that much scrutiny (and conversely I feel like I'm spying on the people I'm attached to).

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Phenotype posted:

During my only Yuumi game I also had the super cool experience of watching my death play out in slow motion: I jumped off of our mid's back so I could ward a river bush, and the guy just takes off and doesn't stop for a second so I can jump back on. And of course the enemy Nocturne shows up on my ward and chases me, and Yuumi doesn't buy boots, so I got to rage at the screen for like twenty full seconds as I'm chasing our mid and pinging frantically and Nocturne is slowly but surely catching up to me... and our mid never stops for like the single second it would have taken for me to jump on his back, so I die horribly.

this was 100% intentional

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Vermain posted:

I was jungling as Ivern one time and within the first 5 minutes all 3 lanes got kills and started wrecking poo poo so I just focused on farming and maintaining vision like y'all don't ever need me in your lane.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

njsykora posted:

I was jungling as Ivern one time and within the first 5 minutes all 3 lanes got kills and started wrecking poo poo so I just focused on farming and maintaining vision like y'all don't ever need me in your lane.

they may not need your help to win lane but its usually good to show up to take objectives after the fact

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
This community doesn't smoke near enough weed. No chill at all ever. People rage in arurf

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Fauxshiz posted:

This community doesn't smoke near enough weed. No chill at all ever. People rage in arurf

sometimes they smoke too much weed and now you've got a yone hitting fat dabs in between deaths while he chases his 0/12/0 power spike all "don't worry guys I scale *bubbler sounds*"

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

sometimes they smoke too much weed and now you've got a yone hitting fat dabs in between deaths while he chases his 0/12/0 power spike all "don't worry guys I scale *bubbler sounds*"

He's right

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Got my first real griefer today. Started by banning my pick then picked nunu and smite and followed our jungler around. Great fun. All this after 2 games where I was auto filled...

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Phenotype posted:

I also really don't like having a Yuumi on me because I really don't want anyone inspecting my erratic weird movements or the foolish decisions I make with that much scrutiny (and conversely I feel like I'm spying on the people I'm attached to).

It is said that a part of Yuumi's huge ban rate is because people don't want her on their team.. There is a perception at lower elo that the champion is only picked by the worst players (the ultimate "unskilled" champion) and if you have a yuumi on your team they will just afk on your adc and your team will be playing effectively without a support.

I played my first couple games in like.. a year the other day. Speaking of unskilled champions, that Malphite sure is something in the top lane. Even though my internet was acting up and I had 90+ ping the entire game (and in team fights that devolved into a slide show style presentation) I still managed to build up a 1k shutdown before farming it out to the enemy Katarina and single handily losing the game for my team lol. In my defense as a previous support main I never had that kind of shutdown before so I don't know how to play with any sort of lead... another one of those soft skills you need to develop along the way I guess.

I had pretty good fun playing blind pick, no ragers or racists in the couple hours I spent in the game :)

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

i love having a yuumi player because they can witness how beautiful my positioning is. its a work of art. and frankly everyone should see it -- by having a yuumi player i force one person to watch it all game, which is pretty much the ideal scenario.

the reason why one would not want to have a yuumi on their team if they are not comfortable with their positioning is because by having one less body not being able to position well makes it exceptionally easy for the enemy to focus that player down when they make a positioning error. it is helpful to think of yuumi as a magnifier of ability in that yuumi blows up positioning flaws and makes bad plays devastating, but her kit takes a player who is good and doing well and allows them to do more than they otherwise would be able to.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

it is very irresponsible for riot to allow this cat to go outside. she will decimate the local bird populations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They finally slapped whoever was naming the bee skins and got someone who can do a good name at last.
https://twitter.com/LeagueOfLegends/status/1493616090210975744

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
League skins are good again

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Tired Moritz posted:

League skins are good again

awooooo

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

njsykora posted:

They finally slapped whoever was naming the bee skins and got someone who can do a good name at last.
https://twitter.com/LeagueOfLegends/status/1493616090210975744

Seriously. Beezahar is loving egregious.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i love nasus

8.2k stacks in a week an a half not amazing but ill take it

feels good to Q

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

verbal enema posted:

i love nasus

8.2k stacks in a week an a half not amazing but ill take it

feels good to Q

drat talk about not being able to close out, you're a week in with presumably like 5k stacks and you still couldn't end the game???

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Taciturn Tactician posted:

drat talk about not being able to close out, you're a week in with presumably like 5k stacks and you still couldn't end the game???

gently caress you!!!

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Darke GBF posted:

Seriously. Beezahar is loving egregious.

malzahive is right there

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

fuuuuck I'm like 3 chromas invested into Space Groove Nunu, gently caress them for releasing so much better of a skin

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Nikumatic posted:

malzahive is right there

been saying this

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
12,474 total stacks

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
oops now its 14,190

i seriously cannot understate how much i love Nasus

he is a lil squishy but when u get those items woo buddy

also people need to stop flashing away when i ult!! loving dicks! FIGHT ME

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Nikumatic posted:

malzahive is right there

oh even better. I was thinking Buzzahar, but yeah I like yours

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yuumi is mine now, 13 champs remain, thank you Chinese players complaints.

Is dumpstering someone playing the same champ as you in a match a good feeling or the best feeling?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Barudak posted:

Is dumpstering someone playing the same champ as you in a match a good feeling or the best feeling?

It's a sign you're playing blind pick so it feels like fleeting superiority followed by emptiness.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Barudak posted:

When I get a nasus v nasus top we just agree to mega farm and become huge kaijus in team fights

When I'm Garen v Garen it's all blood and I will go out of my way to try extra hard to win

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Also regular queue blind pick owns I will never play ranked unless I have a 5 man

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I like ranked because imaginary internet points provide some minor incentive to actually keep trying to win instead of giving up on a game and hoping the next will be better.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
liking blind pick is basically a crime

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bruiser build on Kindred is still pretty drat fun even though it's dropped from popularity since the item rework. Warwick tried his hardest to keep me down by eating the marked camps but it wasn't enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

I like ranked because imaginary internet points provide some minor incentive to actually keep trying to win instead of giving up on a game and hoping the next will be better.

But then the actual optimal strategy for acquiring points is to go next as fast as possible, dropping your 1/100 chance of winning and increasing the speed at which you can get your next game with decent odds.