Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Had a scary bug - was going up against a captured machine with a scaffolding built around it (you know it when you see it), and after dying a lot I suddenly found myself starting with a heavy weapon in my hands after respawning from death. Bad thing though, every time I died after that, the game crashed. Thankfully the game has multiple autosaves so I could load an earlier one from five minutes before the bug.

Also other annoyances:
- One mission enabled haptic triggers on my main weapons even though I've explicitly turned them off. (This is different from the haptic triggers for heavy weapons and quicktime actions which for some reason can't be turned off). After the mission everything is back to the way it was.

- Those icons on the map that shows walls you can blow up disappear once you blow them up, but the next time you load up the game, the icons are back. The walls are still blown up, though.

- One time the game just hung on a black screen after exiting a vendor. Gonna be real paranoid with quicksaves after that one.

It's sad, the game is really great and exceptionally good looking, but bugs like these makes it feel a little bit unpolished.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
HFW continuing the tradition of letting you jump-spam your way into mountains and then telling you no no no and kicking you back to your last save

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just finished Death’s Door and wow! We got an Aloy Clone. That’s pretty shocking but not out of the bounds of possibility. If Aloy can exist then it’s pretty obvious that she probably wouldn’t be the only one. My guess is that Aloy variants have always popped up anytime a Hades’ starts wrecking poo poo. What’s more astonishing to me is the fact that she’s being kept on a leash by a bunch of future assholes with holoshields.

Working theory: The Far Zenith guys lied, made a copy of Apollo and left some kind of cradle. The rich and powerful have been spending a thousand years becoming richer and more powerful.

More importantly: Did I detect jealousy from Aloy in regards to Varl and Zo getting friendly?

AllNewJonasSalk fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 20, 2022

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I thought the revelations after Death’s Door were wild but the following mission blows that out of the water. The mysterious strangers are the descendants of the rich people who hosed off to Far Zenith (who did not get their just desserts by exploding before they reached their destination) and now they’ve come back to take the planet as if it never stopped being theirs. So they have at least 1000 years of technological knowledge (which lets them morph their bodies, travel through space, etc), and we have… a bunch of AI named after Greek gods and their Robot Dinosaurs.

I’m very much enjoying the story so far, I think the planetary threat is way more interesting and the dichotomy between the old tech and the current tribes gets blown out of the water when you add in the even more advanced tech from the Plutocrat Aliens the aesthetic is fun. I also like the themes. Lots of old people stuck in tradition to the point where an existential threat isn’t enough to get them to change their ways. Can’t image what that would be like in this world.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
I cannot beat the level 3 of the third Beginner Machine Strike game. I don't want to go do other things, I want to beat this guy!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
male nipple texture pop-in is incredibly unintentionally hilarious

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Underwater looks real nice when you can actually see anything.

First Cauldron is impressively shiny.

gently caress turtles

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Is there a main mission I should beeline to before going for sidequests, for the purposes of unlocking gear / weapons? I know we don't have a "get to Meridian first" scenario this time around, but what's a good main quest stopping point that would make exploration more fun/useful?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fhqwhgads posted:

Is there a main mission I should beeline to before going for sidequests, for the purposes of unlocking gear / weapons? I know we don't have a "get to Meridian first" scenario this time around, but what's a good main quest stopping point that would make exploration more fun/useful?

Not really. Deaths door unlocks an exploration item but that's it early on and there isn't anything amazing locked behind it. Like I said earlier this game paces its gear upgrades much more deliberately. Just explore as you like. I've only done up to the next main story quest but there hasn't been a big power spike beyond getting blue gear from merchants and pushing even further in the hopes of finding one rather than exploring and upgrading seems counterproductive.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’m doing the thing I usually do, which is once the first major story revelation happens, I gently caress off and explore

Good to see invisible walls are still a thing

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

Not really. Deaths door unlocks an exploration item but that's it early on and there isn't anything amazing locked behind it. Like I said earlier this game paces its gear upgrades much more deliberately. Just explore as you like. I've only done up to the next main story quest but there hasn't been a big power spike beyond getting blue gear from merchants and pushing even further in the hopes of finding one rather than exploring and upgrading seems counterproductive.

I tried running ahead a little bit to do deaths door, but unless I'm being super dumb I couldn't seem to progress it as I need to go deep underwater? Have I missed something?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

HampHamp posted:

I tried running ahead a little bit to do deaths door, but unless I'm being super dumb I couldn't seem to progress it as I need to go deep underwater? Have I missed something?

You definitely don't need to go deep underwater for that no. That upgrade must be much later because I still haven't found it yet. You may be getting confused with sidequests or something?

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

You definitely don't need to go deep underwater for that no. That upgrade must be much later because I still haven't found it yet. You may be getting confused with sidequests or something?

It was very late and I was running on fumes, but this is what happened to the best of my recollection: I found a campsite underneath one of those huge machines, Sylens left me a hologram explaining how he experimented on HADES, and I was supposed to use my focus to follow his trail. Using my focus gave me a sort of sonar ping style thing to follow, which led me to a big lake, and the ping is deep underwater in what seems to be a crashed plane. I'm guessing I followed the wrong trail?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

HampHamp posted:

It was very late and I was running on fumes, but this is what happened to the best of my recollection: I found a campsite underneath one of those huge machines, Sylens left me a hologram explaining how he experimented on HADES, and I was supposed to use my focus to follow his trail. Using my focus gave me a sort of sonar ping style thing to follow, which led me to a big lake, and the ping is deep underwater in what seems to be a crashed plane. I'm guessing I followed the wrong trail?

Yeah you're meant to follow the trail a big ball got dragged along lol

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

HampHamp posted:

Yeah that's a sidequest. It's not a focus trail you have to follow but a physical one.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Death's Door: Oops! All Aloys! I really hope that the Beta-Aloy actually have some personality and survives:ohdear:. I also find the futuristic gang interesting, astronauts versus cavemen! The game continues to look insanely good, especially Plainsong which looks like something out of LotR

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The level 22 story quest gives you the rebreather if you want something to beeline

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

HampHamp posted:

If you're an idiot like me you'll spend 20 minutes looking for a way into the Horus before realizing there's a small glowing panel by the tents that progresses the quest. Seriously until you actually get like stupid close to the panel and Aloy says something you're stuck with no clear indication of where to go. It doesn't help that there's scaffolding you can grapple up to, making you think you need to climb the loving thing.

Lakbay posted:

The level 22 story quest gives you the rebreather if you want something to beeline

Oh gently caress yes I know what I'm doing today.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If you're an idiot like me you'll spend 20 minutes looking for a way into the Horus before realizing there's a small glowing panel by the tents that progresses the quest. Seriously until you actually get like stupid close to the panel and Aloy says something you're stuck with no clear indication of where to go. It doesn't help that there's scaffolding you can grapple up to, making you think you need to climb the loving thing.

Oh no I found that, I'm an idiot in a totally different way apparently!

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

The discourse around this game drives me wild because it is without a doubt one of the best AAA games of the last few years, one of the best open world games in a long time, and a technical marvel. Like it is amazing to me that people crafted this thing over the course of a pandemic and that in my lifetime I have seen poo poo evolve from loving text adventures to this.

And people are out there like “this game is rear end, Aloy talks to much!”

How did people get so fundamentally broken, lol

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

VanillaGorilla posted:

The discourse around this game drives me wild because it is without a doubt one of the best AAA games of the last few years, one of the best open world games in a long time, and a technical marvel. Like it is amazing to me that people crafted this thing over the course of a pandemic and that in my lifetime I have seen poo poo evolve from loving text adventures to this.

Yeah its a bit sad, the common complaints of open world games (copy paste camps, featureless environments, bad combat) have all been taken to a new level and most commentary boils down to 'climbing is bad' and 'aloy talks too much'. Of course it has some issues, it's an open world game, but they've really worked on the things people always moan about, and they just find other things to moan about.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

VanillaGorilla posted:

a weird complaint given that you can easily skip all the dialogue. all the plot's gonna be easily available elsewhere; if you hate dialogue that much, just mash through it and check the wiki after. idk why you would though, the sidequests now are all frozen wilds quality--i'd understand wanting to skip it if it was all at the level of the HZD sidequests, but it's actually good RPG poo poo now

aloy's "i gotta do this on my own! friends plz gently caress off!" shtick isn't great but im hoping it's more a setup for an "actually, the power of friendship is cool and good" turn later

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This is exactly the direction they're gonna go with it. You see this in Death's Door when there's a hologram of Lis Sobeck doing the same thing to Travis Tate, and he calls her out by saying something like "how can you love the world so much but not anybody in it?" Aloy not being a very good friend is an interesting and I think necessary direction to take her character since you can only do so much with a person who was literally born to save the world.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

a weird complaint given that you can easily skip all the dialogue. all the plot's gonna be easily available elsewhere; if you hate dialogue that much, just mash through it and check the wiki after. idk why you would though, the sidequests now are all frozen wilds quality--i'd understand wanting to skip it if it was all at the level of the HZD sidequests, but it's actually good RPG poo poo now

aloy's "i gotta do this on my own! friends plz gently caress off!" shtick isn't great but im hoping it's more a setup for an "actually, the power of friendship is cool and good" turn later

Buddy, I wish that it was just about quest dialogue but I’ve heard multiple critics take the game to task because there’s too much incidental dialogue from Aloy. Specifically, people said that Aloy “solved puzzles” for them, something I haven’t seen happen in at least 20H with the game so far.

Like I guess I agree that it’s excessive - for me as a person who plays games like this all the time - but I’m also not an rear end in a top hat and I can see why they have Aloy comment frequently - it’s probably pretty helpful for people who don’t typically play games like this.

And it doesn’t detract from the achievement that is the game as a whole. Much like the multitude of idiosyncratic elements in Breath of the Wild don’t. That game had a lot of individual pieces that were really poo poo - but the package as a whole was a marvel.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Aloy does talk to herself way too much in my game, but that is fixable. I remember when The Frozen Wilds first came out, Aloy would comment on how much bluegleam she was carrying every 2 minutes before they patched it out. Ideally there would be an accessibility option for how frequently you'd like to receive clues.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The Job Quest Begins! is low key one of the most depressingly relatable text datapoints they’ve ever done, goddamn.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

HampHamp posted:

Yeah its a bit sad, the common complaints of open world games (copy paste camps, featureless environments, bad combat) have all been taken to a new level and most commentary boils down to 'climbing is bad' and 'aloy talks too much'. Of course it has some issues, it's an open world game, but they've really worked on the things people always moan about, and they just find other things to moan about.

I dunno, it might be just a selection bias. I'm having a great ol time with this game, but most of the time the thing that compels me to post is something negative. I can post "I like these quests" or "I love shooting robots right in the canister" more, but what actually got me to hit the Post button was the weird slowdown I got last night just as I was entering the Forbidden West. I dropped down to Performance mode and it was still laggy, like 10 FPS for a while, so I hit a campfire and went to bed since it was already midnight. Did a full Shutdown instead of Rest mode overnight, so crossing my fingers it's okay when I boot her up again in a little bit.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Phenotype posted:

I dunno, it might be just a selection bias. I'm having a great ol time with this game, but most of the time the thing that compels me to post is something negative. I can post "I like these quests" or "I love shooting robots right in the canister" more, but what actually got me to hit the Post button was the weird slowdown I got last night just as I was entering the Forbidden West. I dropped down to Performance mode and it was still laggy, like 10 FPS for a while, so I hit a campfire and went to bed since it was already midnight. Did a full Shutdown instead of Rest mode overnight, so crossing my fingers it's okay when I boot her up again in a little bit.

Yeah that's definitely part of it, people are way more likely to be vocal about issues they're having. It just feels like they worked so hard on this, actually trying to improve the usual complaints about the genre, during a pandemic. Must be demoralising to hear even big review sites being super nitpicky.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Aloy talks about her 'stash' so often I'm starting to wonder if she has a problem

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

VanillaGorilla posted:

Buddy, I wish that it was just about quest dialogue but I’ve heard multiple critics take the game to task because there’s too much incidental dialogue from Aloy. Specifically, people said that Aloy “solved puzzles” for them, something I haven’t seen happen in at least 20H with the game so far.

I've had a couple "I can probably glide there" comments which I do kind of appreciate when you're in a huge room and one mis-step has to circling around to the start if you miss a hidden ladder.

I can understand the complaints about the amount of incidental talking but it didn't bother me in the first one and I don't mind it here either, outside of the "Need to find a cauldron for this one" quotes.

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

..zoekend naar draadnagels bij laag tij.
Game is good, y'all.

I'm still in the Daunt but i've completed everything except the main mission. I'm gonna put it away for a bit and do some other things before finishing this part of the main mission. The game looks fantastic and feels great, the combat flows real nice and enemies feel more difficult. I felt really underpowered in the beginning, but after some pointers and upgrades it's back to dinosaur slaying like oldtimes. Took me a while to get to grips with the new loot system where i have to actively target certain bodyparts to get upgrade parts. Loading times on PS5 are barely there and deaths are quickly forgotten. Overall, it's a great loving game.

The missions in the beginning felt really grating to me. Like, we understand what you mean, you don't have to repeat it and then chew it out some more. Even though i was hype for the game this part of the game didn't excite me one bit. But i quickly got over that after been given an ounce of freedom. Hope our intrepid hero becomes less of an rear end though, but for now I'm willing to give the game the benefit of the doubt.

Can't wait to see the real open world parts of the game. Not clicking on any spoilers in this thread, so thanks for the effort of spoilering.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

HampHamp posted:

The climbing and platforming is genuinely awful and deserves criticism. The environment has no readability at all and does things worse than 3rd person games from 10 years ago

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Oh, here's something positive I wanted to say! Combat is coming together a LOT faster than it did in the first game. I did do all the Chainscrape quests and maxed out the starting Hunter Bow, but I really appreciate how easy it is for me to knock off monster parts now -- it's generally one good shot to the horn or container to make them fly off, and starting from stealth I can blow three parts off and kill most robots in the span of a single Concentration. Even the Bristlebacks and Longlegs go down really quickly when you blow up their fire/acid canisters. It might just be because I'm much more familiar with the combat, but in HZD it took quite a while before I was able to blow up a robot with a few quick arrows like that, so it's a lot more satisfying right out of the gate in HFW.

Hey, has anyone tried out the Warrior Bow yet? It says it's fast-firing, but it does so much less damage than the Hunter Bow that I didn't bother buying it since I didn't want to commit to upgrading it to test it out properly.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Are there any tweaks in the settings to make the dualsense stuff a little more engaging? I remember a review saying each weapon had a very distinct feel with the adaptive triggers and I'm not really having that same experience. Maybe it's just difficult to notice in the middle of combat.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Something I discovered about the Shellsnapper: Its ridiculously vulnerable to acid traps. In the quest with Talanah (and it was really fun to meet her again) I took it out using only acid traps after repeatedly getting my poo poo handed to me in direct combat with it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Salvage Contract tip since I struggled with it for a bit before it clicked: for Plowhorn and Plants if you’re full of bitter leaf and they’re going to the stash when you collect them, they DON’T count for progress. You need to hit a stash and dump all your stock, then go back to collect some during the quest to make progress. It’s dumb

EDIT: I also have a weird quest bug with a one of the salvage contract. The individual one (Ancient Relics) still showing I’m missing an item but on the overall contract I’ve cleared it and moved on to the next step.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 20, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Should I even bother to upgrade the initial green armor? Will she get better armor soon and it will be a waste of resources?

Also can we respec later? Idk what I am taking now for skills will be worth it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Should I even bother to upgrade the initial green armor? Will she get better armor soon and it will be a waste of resources?

You'll have a ton of outfits to choose from but it costs very little to upgrade greens so you might as well do that, too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Also can we respec later? Idk what I am taking now for skills will be worth it

The game throws an insane amount of skill points at you. Don't worry about that. You will be able to fill your trees no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah skills come from leveling up, completing quests, doing side quests, I think even strike and the fighting pits also reward skill points. Check your log to see, but the game will drown you in points.