Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
after reading about how Bob Saget died I'm glad we took him to the hospital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Another parent at the playground just asked me to sign a release for my kid to appear on her kid's Instagram.

Lmao gently caress no

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My earliest memory is of jumping off the couch, ripping my head open on the corner of a piece of furniture, and walking into the kitchen scream-crying at my dad with blood flowing in front of my eyes. I was barely 3 at the time. The first of several childhood head traumas.

The scar used to be well-covered by my hair. It's been a pretty glaring reminder of just how far my hairline has receded :negative:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Another parent at the playground just asked me to sign a release for my kid to appear on her kid's Instagram.

Lmao gently caress no

what the actual gently caress

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Lmao gently caress no

"Only if I get a cut of the ad revenue"

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Lmao gently caress no

:wtc:

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

after reading about how Bob Saget died I'm glad we took him to the hospital.

100% I would always rather risk feeling a little foolish for overreacting then have under-reacted to a kid medical thing.

Pretty sure Billy Mays went out that way too, hit his head on something and it caused a brain problem he couldn’t even feel. I’d imagine kids are less at risk for having brittle/friable blood vessels than adults but still it’s harrowing to think about.

For content: yesterday while I was cooking dinner my 10yr old came over to explain to me that since they’ve been around someone who is really good at cooking, a step-parent they spend alternating weekends with, they’ve started being able to tell of food needs more seasoning by smelling it!

I have prepared like 3/4th of all their meals over the past 3 years :negative:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Like gently caress you don't take pictures of other people's kids what the gently caress

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Three year old is developing a distinct style

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

bluey is an actual gift from heaven

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

bitmap posted:

some how my 5yr old has avoided bluey and she went to a dang bluey bday party and navigates all kids streaming

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

bitmap posted:

Truth

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I haven’t seen the show, but the soundtrack is amazing, and makes me think that when bill waterson kicks over and his kids sell the rights to Calvin and Hobbes, if they do music this evocative, it just might work.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

does anyone here let their kids play Roblox and if so how many times has someone tried to groom them for sexual abuse?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Lmao absolutely not.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

does anyone here let their kids play Roblox and if so how many times has someone tried to groom them for sexual abuse?

lmao uhhhhh are we speaking from experience or

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Good soup! posted:

lmao uhhhhh are we speaking from experience or

my kid came home from school begging to play it but literally the only time I see it in the news is because of creeps using it to perv on kids.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

God Roblox just looks miserable

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
child labour is back baby

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

my kid came home from school begging to play it but literally the only time I see it in the news is because of creeps using it to perv on kids.

I assumed that was the whole internet.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Currently sitting here waiting for my son to cave and eat his very small dinner. Would really have liked to put him to bed half an hour ago.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Struensee posted:

Currently sitting here waiting for my son to cave and eat his very small dinner. Would really have liked to put him to bed half an hour ago.

Mine goes to bed without dinner a lot since we stopped letting him have applesauce for every meal.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

i have a kid with a bunch of food intolerances so he basically eats:

bacon
chicken nuggets
sunbutter w/ Graham crackers (that he dips in water?)
potato chips

probably not sustainable but it beats accidentally having to go to the hospital

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

We do a thing where every Friday we trick the three year old into expanding her palate by doing world themes. Like yesterday was learning about Hawaii, watching Lulu and Stich, then having her pick out anything she wanted from a Hawaiian takeout place.

She'll fuss over normal meals, but she gets really into the pagentry of take out day.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My kids will happily plan menus or cook new food but they still won't eat it lol

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

we did baby led weaning with our first and intentionally introduced a huge variety of foods early....

they still get picky in that 5-8 range even if you do all the early introductions. they get weird too because they drop parts of things. when he was a little kid we would do sweet potatoes and avocados and salmon, like a jacket potato. now he’ll only eat the salmon packets of a particular brand with a specific amount of creole season sprinkled on and would never touch guacamole and snubs sweets potatoes.

great all we did was make you weird and you didn’t need help there.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

we did baby led weaning with our first and intentionally introduced a huge variety of foods early....

they still get picky in that 5-8 range even if you do all the early introductions. they get weird too because they drop parts of things. when he was a little kid we would do sweet potatoes and avocados and salmon, like a jacket potato. now he’ll only eat the salmon packets of a particular brand with a specific amount of creole season sprinkled on and would never touch guacamole and snubs sweets potatoes.

great all we did was make you weird and you didn’t need help there.

Most kids do that. Babies and toddlers don't particularly care what you feed them, but once their little brains develop enough, they get suspicious of food and kinda have to learn to eat again. I've also read it's something to do with bitterness and kids being more sensitive to bitter tastes.

Basically, it's a phase. A loving annoying one, but a phase nonetheless.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

their tastebuds change as they get older, so the sensation of a given food changes over time. also, kids are assholes

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I read an article years ago about a study on flavor tolerances of children and the sweetness result was ‘we didn’t find an upper limit as we hit the concentration of artificial sweeteners we were willing to feed to human children first.’

very little else stuck with me about it, just an image of dudes in lab coats arguing about how much to poison kids for curiosity

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Scientific moral limits are a rarity lmao

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

my youngest is 4 and a vegetarian which is awesome

e: my older child somehow flourished on an exclusive diet of peanut butter sandwhiches when she was 4

ee: and then there was the lunchable phase...........

i am harry has issued a correction as of 06:12 on Feb 20, 2022

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Just chiming in to say that my four year old also ate whatever a year or two ago, but now he refuses to try new stuff. We're trying to go pretty hard on not making supplemental pasta for every meal, but sometimes that means he will only eat tomatoes and mint leaves or something. At least he still eats oatmeal for breakfast.

He does have some weird preferences. He loves pickles for some reason, but something as boring as mashed potatoes is completely out of the question.

He does seem to have learned that sourdough bread is the best bread, he will try store bought yeast bread, but not eat more than a few bites, but when we bake the good stuff, he keeps going. This, I consider i succes.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

BonHair posted:

He does have some weird preferences. He loves pickles for some reason, but something as boring as mashed potatoes is completely out of the question.

my youngest did that. so I homemade some fermented Giardiniera so I had some control
over the salt content

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
my kids diet is
Dino chicken
fish sticks
yogurt
pizza lunchables
oatmeal
morning star bacon
spinach
carrots

the fact we got her to consistently eat a lot of spinach during meals is a success so I am not going to worry about her eating right now. kids need like 7-8 tries to really decide and you have to play the long game a lot for these things.

we try to redirect when she’s saying “I hate this”, we try to make her say”I haven’t learned to like it yet” not always successful but we’ll take any victory no matter how minor

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Meanwhile, my three year old just announced "I like sour things" while straight chewing on a lime so children are a land of contrasts.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
My strategy has always been letting him help cook, cause then he always (almost) eats it. Also it is a rule in this house that you respect work and thus are not allowed to say X food is bad because someone worked hard on it. You can say you don't like it or it's not your favorite.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

AxGrap posted:

My strategy has always been letting him help cook, cause then he always (almost) eats it. Also it is a rule in this house that you respect work and thus are not allowed to say X food is bad because someone worked hard on it. You can say you don't like it or it's not your favorite.

Ooh, that's a great way to frame it.

Our 5yo is going through a phase of describing food she doesn't like as garbage at the moment, so time to help a comrade.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

god bless Lego Worlds for Nintendo switch. my kids will play it for hours and continue to find new weird poo poo to do to occupy their time.

they also accidentally changed the language to Polish but it hasn't kept them from being able to play it so maybe they'll pick up some Polish along the way.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Meanwhile, my three year old just announced "I like sour things" while straight chewing on a lime so children are a land of contrasts.

Ha! When our son was two I was shocked that he was eating some of the spicy potato I got from the korean bbq place we lived by. He is picky now but doing better. The only frustrating thing now is our youngest can't quite figure out how to drink from a cup.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Elissimpark posted:

Ooh, that's a great way to frame it.

Our 5yo is going through a phase of describing food she doesn't like as garbage at the moment, so time to help a comrade.

Anything my 4yo dislikes "tastes like dirt."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

We took a trip away from the little one and had the grandparents watch her for a weekend and it feels like in the three days we were gone her ability to dash and run has gone up considerably, it's crazy to see how fast they learn