Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

very triggered by phanatic's counter clutter

thotsky posted:

I wanted to do ceiling to floor, wall to wall, white light linen/cotton curtains on rails, but this radiator makes that somewhat more difficult. It's a warm water one, so it does not get dangerously hot, but at best it would sit on the room side of the curtain. Not sure I could get them to fall right with that little room to work with either.

What do you think? Should I be looking at blinds or something instead? The windows, do not seem to be standard sizes but what do I know, also there's that balcony door...

how far is it from the radiator to where the blinds would be? I definitely like blinds, and am asking because mini-blinds might be better than standard since there's limited clearance

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I don't really know where I would attach the blinds, if it is inside the window nook thing then I guess there would be plenty? Not quite sure what you are asking.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thotsky posted:

I don't really know where I would attach the blinds, if it is inside the window nook thing then I guess there would be plenty? Not quite sure what you are asking.

there are blinds that can be mounted on the inside or outside of the frame. In this case you would do an inner mount where the upper black line is, and the bottom position would be around where the lower black line is.

I ask about depth because if something is really close to the window, standard 2" blinds might run into to it, hence 1" mini-blinds - I used this on my patio door because 2" would have run into the door handle. I'm guessing you have plenty of space, but I just wanted to check so that your blinds don't hit the radiator or plant when they are fully down.

In either case, you would want to get samples and look for a color that matches well with both the frame and the wall paint. the paint looks gray (?) so a VERY light gray would work well - like an off-white but without an undertone.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 14, 2022

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Well, it's like 8 and a half inches, from the glass to the end of the frame, maybe slightly more. And the radiator is further out than that again.

The walls are https://www.jotun.com/my-en/decorative/interior/colours/10679-washed-linen-interior

Sort of a grey beige with not too much yellow in it. Whether it leans beige or grey depends a lot on the lighting, of which I have none at the moment.

It goes great with white, light woods, terracotta, black details and various muted greens and blues. I kind of wanted something sort of natural for covering my windows...

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Wood color or dark blue blinds imo.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thotsky posted:

Well, it's like 8 and a half inches, from the glass to the end of the frame, maybe slightly more. And the radiator is further out than that again.

The walls are https://www.jotun.com/my-en/decorative/interior/colours/10679-washed-linen-interior

Sort of a grey beige with not too much yellow in it. Whether it leans beige or grey depends a lot on the lighting, of which I have none at the moment.

It goes great with white, light woods, terracotta, black details and various muted greens and blues. I kind of wanted something sort of natural for covering my windows...

ok, it's just hard to know for sure since perspective can distort things sometime

using easyrgb, the RGB for that paint is 199 193 181. that will easily put it in the warm spectrum as red is warm, and blues and greens are cool.

there's another site that will show you where a color is on the warm/cool scale using the vertical bar. you can see it's a gray with an orange undertone. In that box, the farthest left will be pure gray (if you went directly left it would be 199 199 199), and the farthest right will be pure orange (199 133 0). you can see it's just getting a bit of orange, so i'd call it an off-white with an orange undertone. so if you are doing white, find an undertone that will work well with orange, perhaps brown. I wouldn't do blue. wood or wood-look blinds should match with anything.

Mine are from Bali, and I've been pretty happy with them. they have a bunch of different swatches for their wood and faux wood ones

https://www.baliblinds.com/swatches/?product-line-id=334

https://www.baliblinds.com/swatches/?product-line-id=333

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 15, 2022

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
As far as beige colors go, I don't think it's a particularly red one. It would not go as well with white if it was. I won't go with blue blinds, because I would want something more subdued than that, but the kitchen is already in a blue/purplish grey and I like that well enough. I am doing a few other blue details, like a blanket or throw pillows on the sofa, a sort of drab green carpet, some plants and a dark green tabletop. Seems like a pretty common palette.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

falz posted:

I think every garage sale I've ever had is to purge poo poo, and everything that doesn't sell goes to St Vinnys. Feels good man.

Yep. That's how you gotta do it. Make a firm commitment before you even start pricing stuff that anything that doesn't sell gets boxed straight up and delivered to charity.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thotsky posted:

As far as beige colors go, I don't think it's a particularly red one. It would not go as well with white if it was. I won't go with blue blinds, because I would want something more subdued than that, but the kitchen is already in a blue/purplish grey and I like that well enough. I am doing a few other blue details, like a blanket or throw pillows on the sofa, a sort of drab green carpet, some plants and a dark green tabletop. Seems like a pretty common palette.

ok, so the first thing is that that's the formula for the paint you mentioned, so unless the store tinted it incorrectly, it's an off-white with an orangish undertone. it's also close enough to the "gray" side that white wouldn't contrast a ton with it. HOWEVER, the lighting in the room will affect this a lot, especially with off-whites as I've learned the hard way trying to decide on a bedroom paint - off-whites have very little colorant, so the color you perceive from them is VERY sensitive to any lighting changes.

If for example the windows are facing south or west, it will be even warmer, and the orange will be more noticeable. If the windows are facing north or east, it will be cooler, and will look more "gray." also if you have a surface that the light bounces off of outside first that will affect it was well, for example the light coming into my bedroom somewhat bounces off the brick patio wall outside, adding even more brown. In that bedroom, a cooler white on the wall that gets direct, SW light looks purplish, whereas on the side walls where the light bounces off brick, giving it a brown tone, it looks almost orange. remember warm is brown/red/yellow, cool is blue/green/purple.

Also you have to consider your artificial lighting - if you have warmer bulbs like 2700K, it will have the first effect, whereas cooler bulbs like >3000K will give that cooler effect.

do you know what direction the windows are facing in the room, and what color temperature your lighting is?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 15, 2022

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Getting all my windows and siding replaced and I hate the minimal builder trim around my windows. It consists of some kind of fiberous early 90s MDF style window sill and the 2" wide door trim nailed underneath it.

Are there some photos or ideas of how to trim my windows out a little more nicely that I might consider doing after getting the windows replaced? About the only trim style I've seen other than just a sill is the Craftsman style but it wouldn't match my baseboards or door trim. That's another story and I wish I had just gone with craftsman style interior trim but I didn't know any better when I was doing all of that 6 years ago.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Phanatic posted:

Asked this a few months ago and everyone here who responded was unanimous: "Move the stove."

I listened. Good advice. Had to knock through out into the enclosed porch and run a soffit over to the exterior wall to route the exhaust, but all in all the new kitchen is pretty exactly what I wanted. Waaaaaaay more loving space to move around and cook things in. Thanks goons. Just need to repaint the rest of the space now and put in a ceiling light.

And adjust those pendants to the same height. Dammit.

I knew that'd be the best spot for the stove. :smug:

But seriously, it came out really nicely! Looks great and vastly more spacious and functional that the old kitchen. I know I was pushing for a cased opening transition, but the peninsula adds a bunch of extra counter space, which is always a good thing. How did you end up handling the floor transition?

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

MetaJew posted:

Getting all my windows and siding replaced and I hate the minimal builder trim around my windows. It consists of some kind of fiberous early 90s MDF style window sill and the 2" wide door trim nailed underneath it.

Are there some photos or ideas of how to trim my windows out a little more nicely that I might consider doing after getting the windows replaced? About the only trim style I've seen other than just a sill is the Craftsman style but it wouldn't match my baseboards or door trim. That's another story and I wish I had just gone with craftsman style interior trim but I didn't know any better when I was doing all of that 6 years ago.

You're talking about fixing the interior trim, right? Can you post some photos of what you have now and what you don't like about it and want to change? What's your door trim like? Would it be possible to get more of that and use it for the windows?

To get good looking window trim, regardless of style/era, there are some general rules of thumb that you can follow. Here's a diagram of a typical traditional style window to get a sense for all the parts and their vocabulary:

The pertinent parts are the interior casing/trim, stool (which I thought was just more sill until relatively recently), and apron. For the window to look "correct", you need the stool and apron. The stool provides a flat surface for poo poo like small potted plants and seating for cats. The apron is included for visual balance with the rest of the trim. Without these parts, there's nowhere for your cat to sit and it looks builder grade/amateur/not necessarily bad but somehow wrong. Like this:

These windows are missing stools and aprons (instead it's just more casing along the bottom) and they look pretty drat basic. Not bad or unattractive, just basic and definitely missing something.

This window has stool and apron, but the proportions are off - stool isn't wide enough and the apron is too short:

It uses simple trim and otherwise looks quite nice. Replacing stool and apron with appropriately sized pieces would be an easy fix.

This window adds a huge cornice but not a stool and apron and looks off:

From the context of the blog post/article I grabbed this picture from, I think this is supposed to be the result of spiffing up a window that just had plain casing all the way around it. The cornice was just placed on top of existing trim. Definitely looks fancier, but not well proportioned. Cornices in window trim are great, but they should replace the top piece of casing, not be stacked above it. And a side note: if you're going to add cool cornices to your windows, your doors should have similar treatment. Observe the awkward contrast between the fat window casing and huge cornice and skimpy thin casing around the door and no cornice. Make sure doors and windows have similar (or the same) trim treatments for a consistent look.

This window alllllmost nails it:

It looks really good (especially for a DIY job), but the proportions are not quite there. Stool needs to be a little bit wider, like maaaybe an inch on each end, if that). Tippy top of the cornice could be slightly wider (but not as wide as the stool), and the bottom piece of the cornice shouldn't jut out quite that much - looks the same width as the top part but should be slightly less. Basically I'm nitpicking and talking about adjustments in fractions of inches - this is a decent trim job.

This window looks very good in terms of possessing the right pieces and being well-proportioned:

It's basically the exact same composition as the previous window, but there are subtle differences, like the wider stool and differently proportioned cornice, that make a huge aesthetic impact.

The gist of it is that you can very easily achieve good looking windows if you know to include the right pieces so the windows look right and to be aware of the nuances of proportions and visual relationships between them.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

I could use some layout help if anyone is inclined to help! My living room is very small and has to serve multiple purposes, my husband and I have been in this apartment for a little over a year and I've never really been happy with the way we have, the furniture is basically all still where the movers put it on move-in day.

There's a wall behind the couch, and then the room opens up into a hallway. The wall opposite to that has the sliding door to the balcony and an additional window, and the chair that's right there is honestly mostly a cat bed. The cable jack is on the wall right behind the bookcase, so the tv has to stay relatively close to that area.

Any thoughts on how to make it more functional? I'm planning on buying a new couch this year, but it will probably be about the same size as the one we have right now.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Which way(s) does the sun enter from during the day? That should in part dictate which way you turn the TV and seating, to avoid glare or getting blinded.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

nielsm posted:

Which way(s) does the sun enter from during the day?

There's no way the Sun could fit in that room!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

I could use some layout help if anyone is inclined to help! My living room is very small and has to serve multiple purposes, my husband and I have been in this apartment for a little over a year and I've never really been happy with the way we have, the furniture is basically all still where the movers put it on move-in day.

There's a wall behind the couch, and then the room opens up into a hallway. The wall opposite to that has the sliding door to the balcony and an additional window, and the chair that's right there is honestly mostly a cat bed. The cable jack is on the wall right behind the bookcase, so the tv has to stay relatively close to that area.

Any thoughts on how to make it more functional? I'm planning on buying a new couch this year, but it will probably be about the same size as the one we have right now.

there's too much stuff for that room, but it sounds like you acknowledge that. since you mentioned getting a new couch, it should be going the same direction as the longer wall, and I would honestly get something a bit smaller like a loveseat or a settee. the rug is too small for the sofa, but getting a smaller sofa would resolve that (you want at least six inches of rug on each side). move the chair in the top left elsewhere. decide if you actually need the coffee table or not.

I picked out some random ugly poo poo on roomstyler, but with dimensions that should be close to yours. I did a 5x7 rug which I estimated was similar to the size of yours, and put in a 63" loveseat. I'm not sure what the diameter of your little table is - it might not give enough clearance from the hallway where I have it, but honestly you are going to have to live with some things being cramped. floor lighting and cats could be added on either side of the sofa or tv stand

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

While I dont have an answer, i would suggest spending a few hours or days moving everything around to every possible configuration, you'll know what's worse and what's better.

Especially if this was never done at all since move in.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Queen Victorian posted:

How did you end up handling the floor transition?

Like this:

Not a perfect match, but enh, close enough.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
The guest room has some gnarly water damage that we won’t be able to get fixed for a few months, but still want to host guests without them having to see it. It’s in kind of an awkward position, so I was wondering if there were any creative ways I could conceal this?

I was thinking of finding a tapestry to go over it, which would also cover the door. Id almost defintiely have to remove the shade to do that, but that’s not an issue. Any places I could get a tapestry that won’t make this look like a dorm?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

sirotan is some sort of tapestry expert i would pm him if he doesn't reply

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Head Bee Guy posted:

The guest room has some gnarly water damage that we won’t be able to get fixed for a few months, but still want to host guests without them having to see it. It’s in kind of an awkward position, so I was wondering if there were any creative ways I could conceal this?

I was thinking of finding a tapestry to go over it, which would also cover the door. Id almost defintiely have to remove the shade to do that, but that’s not an issue. Any places I could get a tapestry that won’t make this look like a dorm?

If it’s temporary, I’d just do a cheap tension mounted curtain rod and put whatever color curtains you’d like there.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

actionjackson posted:

sirotan is some sort of tapestry expert i would pm him if he doesn't reply

pm her

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

:confused: I had no idea, just guessed since most goons are males

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

actionjackson posted:

there's too much stuff for that room, but it sounds like you acknowledge that. since you mentioned getting a new couch, it should be going the same direction as the longer wall, and I would honestly get something a bit smaller like a loveseat or a settee. the rug is too small for the sofa, but getting a smaller sofa would resolve that (you want at least six inches of rug on each side). move the chair in the top left elsewhere. decide if you actually need the coffee table or not.

I picked out some random ugly poo poo on roomstyler, but with dimensions that should be close to yours. I did a 5x7 rug which I estimated was similar to the size of yours, and put in a 63" loveseat. I'm not sure what the diameter of your little table is - it might not give enough clearance from the hallway where I have it, but honestly you are going to have to live with some things being cramped. floor lighting and cats could be added on either side of the sofa or tv stand

I think I might give this layout a shot, I think it would work. The coffee table is actually the only item of furniture in the room I refuse to get rid of, but I’m open to changing anything else. I’ll play around with it in the room layout site I have everything imported into, but this definitely gives me some ideas, thank you!

nielsm posted:

Which way(s) does the sun enter from during the day? That should in part dictate which way you turn the TV and seating, to avoid glare or getting blinded.

The windows all face south.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

amethystbliss posted:

If it’s temporary, I’d just do a cheap tension mounted curtain rod and put whatever color curtains you’d like there.

drat i forgot those exist, sweet

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

:hmmyes:

and I really don't know poo poo about tapestries for the record

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hello sirotan etc.

now that I have my new plant, I wanted to figure out sizing for one or two art things here. I like this print with a white frame, since I'm going to have a white desk eventually, and I want something really bright and colorful.

https://society6.com/product/luna2548346_framed-print?sku=s6-13198926p21a12v53a13v54

here's how it would look at least in terms of dimensions - the art thing on the left has a 25" frame, so I used that for reference. this would be the 24x36 size

my designer also suggested maybe having two smaller pieces on top of each other, which would give me something that is "taller" overall

in that case I saw a couple posters that go together that can come in 17x21, so that would take up about 44" of vertical space if I leave two inches between.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 20, 2022

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Another cool place for prints: https://www.vsual.co/

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks, I'll take a look! society6 is what sirotan mentioned to me

this is how two 17x21s with two inches in between would work. I think it's a pretty good fit (?)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

so 17x21 is the print size, 18x24 is framed. I kind of like this, it does have blue and green which are my two favorite colors!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the other option is these circles and half circles

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
So you are just putting art on the wall for color? You dont have anything that means something to you?

Beyond that, i like the bauhaus set over the circles. Bit more vibrant.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ZombieCrew posted:

So you are just putting art on the wall for color? You dont have anything that means something to you?

Beyond that, i like the bauhaus set over the circles. Bit more vibrant.

i'm a nihilist

anyway i'm going for different shapes and colors, the idea being that a lot of furniture is very square or rectangular, so you add other shapes, like lines, triangles, etc. to mix that up. even with circles, they aren't really represented that well in my place, except for the little table. same reason why when I get a new desk it will have a rounded edge instead of 90 degree angle.

i'm not totally following the "meaning to you" thing. I want art that conveys a certain emotional reaction, just like all design. am i required to have like a family history of drawing retro scandinavian themed semicircles?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

actionjackson posted:

i'm a nihilist

anyway i'm going for different shapes and colors, the idea being that a lot of furniture is very square or rectangular, so you add other shapes, like lines, triangles, etc. to mix that up. even with circles, they aren't really represented that well in my place, except for the little table. same reason why when I get a new desk it will have a rounded edge instead of 90 degree angle.

i'm not totally following the "meaning to you" thing. I want art that conveys a certain emotional reaction, just like all design. am i required to have like a family history of drawing retro scandinavian themed semicircles?

"Meaning" more in the sense of a favorite artist or style and maybe this is your favorite. No requirements. I was simply curious. Nihilist covers it. I still like Bauhaus over the other option.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ZombieCrew posted:

"Meaning" more in the sense of a favorite artist or style and maybe this is your favorite. No requirements. I was simply curious. Nihilist covers it. I still like Bauhaus over the other option.

In that case, not sure, I tend to like different shapes a lot, and I like trees, and I like blue and green

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

actionjackson, rest assured I regularly read this thread, you don't need to PM me with the same questions you post here. I'm happy to share my thoughts in the thread if I feel they're adding value, though a lot of times that will probably just boil down to "do what you think looks the best".

That being said, my highly subjective personal opinion is the colors on these prints work better in your space:

actionjackson posted:

the other option is these circles and half circles

I think the frame size in your render is fine.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ok thank you!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

e: wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
We're trying to figure out how to add shelves to this wall with a fireplace and transom window:

I mean, we know how to add them, but no idea what they should look like. And I feel like just throwing up something without thinking about it will look like absolute hell.

For a variety of reasons, were pretty sure built-ins are a no go. So unless/until we can figure something out there, we want to throw up a few shelves on each side. Something decent, not the cheapest crap from LowesDepot.

We're thinking 3 each side, starting probably a few inches below the light switches and going up. Thinking the depth should match the mantle (about 8" or so).

Some notes:

We don't plan on painting the mantle/trim any time soon, at least not a different color. Nor do we intend to replace it, as ugly as it may be... super low priority.

We like the idea of floating shelves, but we plan on putting books and whatnot on them, so weight capacity is a concern. If anyone knows where to get some that'll hold a decent amount of weight, I'm all ears.

DIY isn't really in the cards. Some is ok, but I'm not going to get some raw wood and cut/sand/paint/stain it. I'm fine with buying shelves and hardware separate, but I'm not looking for a project here.

Some questions:

What color should we be looking for? White would blend in, but it's boring. On the flip side, I much prefer stained wood, but I'm not sure how our of place it would be next to the mantle. For reference, the floor is a yellow/golden oak kind of stain, but other wood pieces in th area are darker. I guess I don't know if this is a place where contrast is good or bad.

What about hardware? We have a mix right now, but have been going with brushed nickel for new stuff. Kind of dig the black iron pipe look, but it wouldn't match anything else. Dunno if that's a big deal or what.

How wide? We're assuming we center them between the wall and the fireplace, but not sure how much room to leave on the sides. I'm thinking at least a few inches, but probably no more than 8" or so? Or do we try to match the transom window trim?

Where is a good place to buy? Wasn't super impressed with what I saw on Wayfair/overstock, but I didn't do an exhaustive search.