Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Warbird posted:

Probably a lot of emails and my evening being ruined.

👍

https://community.cloudflare.com/t/txt-record-breaks-wildcard-cname/150786/4

To quote RFC 1 1912
“A common mistake is thinking that a wildcard MX for a zone will apply to all hosts in the zone. A wildcard MX will apply only to names in the zone which aren’t listed in the DNS at all.”

That is, if there is a wildcard MX for *.example.com , and an A record (but no MX record) for https://www.example.com , the correct response (as per RFC 1 1034) to an MX request for https://www.example.com is “no error, but no data”; this is in contrast to the possibly expected response of the MX record attached to *.example.com .

With the TXT record set. The A record gets an NX response and does not actually get wildcarded to anything useful at all.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Hi folks. I'm the sole developer for my small consultancy and I'd like to up our devops game for our next greenfield project. I was wondering if someone could suggest some reading material or otherwise help me move in the right direction.

Currently we use:
- git on bitbucket for source control
- ubuntu on standard digitalocean droplets for host machines
- docker

Our apps are very-low-user-volume speciality engineering tools. We run django/postgres for the backend, vuejs SPAs for the frontend. The workflow is currently: I do all the coding locally on docker, manually deploy to a dev server for alpha testing with our clients, manually deploy to staging server, manually deploy to prod. Deployment involves git-pulling then running migrations. There is no automation. I deploy changes to prod a couple of times a year, then things usually sit for six months to a year between updates.

I'm looking for ways of incrementally improving what we're doing while still being responsible for 90+% of the development plus other engineering consulting work, and want to avoid reinventing the wheel using nothing but bespoke scripts. I'd like to be able to adopt some off-the-shelf tools and be confident that any effort or money put into using them will be worth it in the long run. If I can still be using the same stack 5 years from now and never have to seriously question the technology choice then that's awesome. If adopting a technology will help me more easily onboard a couple folks this year that would also be great.

Is there a current bible of tiny-rear end-basically-solo consultancy devops I should know about? Are there any tools that are becoming as ubiquitous as docker? Are puppet/ansible/terraform/vagrant/k8s/jenkins/??? things I should be looking at? Which should I start with, and which should I adopt together? Am I too small scale to need to worry about most of this poo poo?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Your first order of business should be automating your deployment pipelines.

I don’t know if bitbucket has pipeline tooling, if it doesn’t you can look at circle ci, GitHub actions or azure devops pipelines.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

:hmmyes:

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
For Django deployments, assuming you're running just a single instance in a container, run the migration as part of your container startup. i.e. if you have a docker-entrypoint.sh that you run on container startup, have it run:

code:
#!/usr/bin/env bash
set -o errexit
cd /app
/app/manage.py migrate --no-input
exec uwsgi --ini /app/uwsgi.ini
(replace uwsgi with your server). The migrate is a no-op if there's no schema changes, so it's safe to run before the server starts up.

For the other parts of automation deployment, consider your pain points. Is it juggling many configurations for lots of distinct-but-similar apps? Is it the frequency with which you have to run these manual steps? Is there a risk of making errors in the manual steps? Is it setting up a consistent dev environment?

If you only have a couple of these apps to manage, and you don't do it that often, you could probably automate much of it with bash scripts. When the scale goes up (# of apps, hosts, environments, frequency of deployment, etc) and you're having to manage lots of configuration, then it's time to use a tool like Ansible, Puppet, etc.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Thanks for the advice! Those are both straightforward next steps that should streamline things a lot.

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

What’s the Goon Take on Nomad? Seems dumb when we have 3 dozen K8s clusters to choose from, but New Dev Team insists it’s “Better” in ways they can’t articulate.

They’ve never used it, or containers, before

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Are there any hot tips on Jenkins integration to AD? We’ve been bickering with the AD team of our client to help us sort out what’s not playing nice, but they’re being stubborn about it. Everything seems to be fine but whenever the app tries to connect it just gets its connection reset.

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

Warbird posted:

Are there any hot tips on Jenkins integration to AD? We’ve been bickering with the AD team of our client to help us sort out what’s not playing nice, but they’re being stubborn about it. Everything seems to be fine but whenever the app tries to connect it just gets its connection reset.

For auth? Are you using LDAPs? Is the certificate valid?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

No, just AD/the AD plug-in. If LDAP would be simpler then I’m fine using that, but I’ll be the first to admit near total ignorance of anything from that part of the IT world. It’s always been a black box of “use this string and don’t ask any more questions” whenever I run up against it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Junkiebev posted:

What’s the Goon Take on Nomad? Seems dumb when we have 3 dozen K8s clusters to choose from, but New Dev Team insists it’s “Better” in ways they can’t articulate.

Go straight to the VP of engineering and tell them they're using a non standard tool and their project is going to double the ops budget to support their snowflake product and Shut That poo poo Right Down™. Tell the VP you're not going to support their stuff

Generally I try and accommodate reasonable requests, but gently caress those guys, I hope they choke on their own ops budget

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
don't involve yourself with Nomad

Hadlock posted:

Go straight to the VP of engineering and tell them they're using a non standard tool and their project is going to double the ops budget to support their snowflake product and Shut That poo poo Right Down™. Tell the VP you're not going to support their stuff

Generally I try and accommodate reasonable requests, but gently caress those guys, I hope they choke on their own ops budget

Junkiebev posted:

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Nomad's competitive advantage over k8s is that it's a bit easier to get started with, and that's about it. I hope it is obvious why this isn't a good reason to introduce it when you're already using k8s.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The analogy that comes to mind is that you guys are driving the diesel Toyota 4runner from top gear, and the new dev team just rolled up in a Big Wheel tricycle

Shut that poo poo right the gently caress down

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Hadlock posted:

Shut that poo poo right the gently caress down

This guy Nomads

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
Does the team in question have a hybrid workload or a lot of batch jobs? That's the use case where Nomad blows K8s out of the water, but I wouldn't suggest it for a fully containerized workload if you've already got K8s.

pentium166
Oct 15, 2012

Junkiebev posted:

We're using Nomad and it's fine, but as others said, if you're already running Kubernetes then it doesn't make a lot of sense. The Hashicorp stack also starts to get "contact us" pricy if you need improved access control or other "enterprise" features, I think in the ballpark of $100,000 for a Nomad or Vault license, dunno about Consul.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Also nomad isn’t like “simpler” to setup, it needs a consul cluster and potentially vault.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Yes but the tutorial on containerizing their framework they found uses Nomad, soooooooo….

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Never tried Nomad but if you ever find yourself in a position where you need to choose between DC/OS and K8s just gor for the latter and never look back.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

LochNessMonster posted:

Never tried Nomad but if you ever find yourself in a position where you need to choose between DC/OS and K8s just gor for the latter and never look back.

Seconded. Is the official install process still a shell script with several hundred megabytes of binary data baked into it and no automation? Because it used to be and it was stupid.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Erwin posted:

Seconded. Is the official install process still a shell script with several hundred megabytes of binary data baked into it and no automation? Because it used to be and it was stupid.

It was when I last worked with it. In the meanwhile even d2iq dumped it in favor of k8s.

Also loved the 2 different custom ingress controllers that were both broken in different ways. Or their own container runtime that was compatible with several basic docker functions.

It was a really bad product and I’d rather manage docker swarm clusters than that shitshow.

LochNessMonster fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 21, 2022

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I manage a team responsible for building a Kubernetes practice within a very complicated core platform organization. People going off-script can be demoralizing, but what's worse is that it can be a giant distraction to you.

Do you have your own work to do, your own impact to make, and your own outcomes to deliver that are outside of keep other teams from making sub-optimal choices? Think really hard about what the stake is that you actually have in this problem. You might look at this problem, and think something like, "if this team has time to be wasting on Nomad, then nobody is holding them accountable for making progress on real work, and doing anything of actual value to the business." There's a good chance you would be right. That also is probably not your problem to solve. Flag the issue to whatever chain of decision-makers is accountable for understanding this situation and making a call on it, then move on with your day and get back to doing kickass poo poo for people who care.

You might think you're the runners of a great democracy, and you build infrastructure for everyone. The truth is that you work on patronage. Do your best work for the people who have you on speed dial. Their advocacy is way more of a force multiplier for you than a whole chain of command in the company who: a) doesn't care that you or your work exist; b) didn't ask for your opinion on something you consider yourself an expert at; and c) aren't clearly articulating their technology choices or concerns to you.

There's a truism that's well-known to experienced managers, and counterintuitive to inexperienced ones: you don't over-invest in your lowest performers. You have a certain amount of hours in the week that you can invest in making somebody else successful. You can spend that time 2x-ing the productivity of a 0.25x engineer, or you can spend it 2x-ing the productivity of a 2x engineer. In the long run, which one is better for the company? The same is true for teams. So if you believe a team is prone to making poor decisions, and those decisions will undercut your success, you will actually make the situation worse if you invest your resources (on top of them investing theirs!) in making them a minimum success despite poor decision-making. At the end of the day, it's not your job to decide for the company what risks get assumed. It's your job to make sure people have the most accurate and up-to-date information available on what those risks are, so the decision-makers can make decisions.

On this specific situation, here are some other things that I believe to be true:

• If the application is a fit for container orchestration, having the application run on a container orchestrator is better than having the application not run on a container orchestrator.
  • Nomad is not known for providing features that have no mature equivalent in the Kubernetes ecosystem.
  • In an organization with a skilled Kubernetes practice, it is not particularly difficult to migrate an application from Nomad to Kubernetes, and in virtually every case it's easier than moving the same system from Docker-on-VMs to Kubernetes.

In summation: don't sweat it too much. People will disagree with you. People will find reasons to value seemingly weird things more than they value your expertise or input or your own priorities around scaling the technical practice of a whole business. Trying to deal with those situations reactively—responding to each situation of a bad decision in progress—will ruin your ability to make progress on things that matter, for people who are relying on you. Know who your customers are. Focus on strengthening the relationships with your moneymakers. Don't get distracted trying to convert the possible micro-customer that you've already established doesn't seem to actually discuss architecture or technical decisions with anyone around them.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender

Erwin posted:

I see k8s by itself as being like the Linux kernel. It's installable by itself but you really need a distro to make it practically useful. OpenShift fills that gap. The installer is pretty easy to use, supports a bunch of different clouds, and adds a lot of value beyond the basic k8s install.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender
If a team wants to try $new_tech, that's often good! Experimentation can lead to discovery of potentially better solutions. But they need to acknowledge:
- it's a bet. If the bet doesn't play out, do they have an exit strategy?
- when is the milestone where they'll step back and re-evaluate this bet, to decide whether they commit to it or back out?
- they're treading new ground. They won't be able to get support from within the company. Are they ok with that?

And they should confirm that they're not adopting it for Bad Reasons:
- (as someone said above) "it was the tech mentioned in the tutorial"
- it's free (that can change fast, especially if they need support or go over some scale threshold)
- the manager / tech lead is familiar with it (bus factor)

As Vulture Culture said, I think it's best to surface these concerns with senior management and move on. Internally I'd be concerned that my team might have to add support for $new_tech if it catches on, which I'd only be ok with if I was convinced that $new_tech offered significant value.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Kelsey Hightower says that Kubernetes isn't a PaaS in itself as much as a framework for building one, which makes more sense for why it seems like there's bazillions of things that don't seem to be necessary, it looks overengineered to many users while many experienced users in the space understand why it could be necessary. The differences between installing K8S to build a PaaS and grabbing a web framework to hack around on a weekend PoC project are clearly light years apart though.

To be a bit of a Devil's advocate if you're at a company that is mandating Very Bad technologies that are almost certainly not getting adopted (I'm talking to you, IBM BlueMix, and maybe for the Xooglers Google Plus) the reasons for mandates are not due to technical merits clearly but more about political and "enterprise, lol" reasons, in which case your particular organization's value system at least around the specific Very Bad technologies is not around technical criteria, so stakeholders need to understand the risks and try to plan long-term together to comply in good faith without tanking the point of creating the software in the first place.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

In most (probably all?) enterprises I’ve seen, the decision to invest in any new tech was political and had less to do with being the right choice than it being something a manager or executive wanted (read: promised his buddy on the golf course).

Usual excuses for buying IBM, Oracle, HP, etc garbage is “but we need support”. Which sounds nice on paper until you actually need support and it still means 3 days of downtime because they outsourced their whole support system to Ukraine which just got cutoff due to a Russian invasion.

There’s no exit strat, just sit out the contract and hope its so bad the manager/exec gets flag over it and either leaves the business unit/the company or doesn’t renew the contract after 3-5 years.

Most useful stuff that gets adopted quick starts as shadow IT and gains traction so fast that it’s widespread and becoming essential before management notices.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I hate how many of those empty cliches keep getting reused like they mean something. "We're sticking with Oracle because we need their database software, and using them for everything gives us one throat to choke." Have we ever been happy with their support on anything? No? What good is having this alleged one throat to choke if we can't actually put any pressure on their metaphorical windpipe?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A few months ago my org did a forced update on all managed systems purging oracle java from them because of their idiocy regarding licensing. Now everything is openjdk and feels good man.

Of course we still have a few oracle databases floating around but I can appreciate not wanting to migrate production data to something new.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Nothing to make you hate Jenkins like having to work with Jenkins.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd like to see Jenkins go for five minutes without announcing a CVE.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Vulture Culture posted:

Do you have your own work to do, your own impact to make, and your own outcomes to deliver that are outside of keep other teams from making sub-optimal choices? Think really hard about what the stake is that you actually have in this problem. You might look at this problem, and think something like, "if this team has time to be wasting on Nomad, then nobody is holding them accountable for making progress on real work, and doing anything of actual value to the business." There's a good chance you would be right. That also is probably not your problem to solve. Flag the issue to whatever chain of decision-makers is accountable for understanding this situation and making a call on it, then move on with your day and get back to doing kickass poo poo for people who care.

So first of all, hell yes. This is very liberating once you embrace it. I've been shaping environments for people to use, issuing advice, and occasionally jumping in when people gently caress up (or get hosed up by) cloud platforms for a while now. I'd kinda forgotten what the gatekeeping IT poo poo is like expect when I interact with network teams for hybrid connectivity or someone insists their VMWare team run all the IaaS or something.

I'm in the middle of a consulting engagement where I'm weaning a couple of teams off of the idea that "owning stuff" is their job versus "understanding stuff" and "getting people moving fast". I dunno if it's learned or just a personality thing but there are a lot of people in the industry who can't really conceive what you're saying and it can be exhausting.

quote:

You might think you're the runners of a great democracy, and you build infrastructure for everyone. The truth is that you work on patronage. Do your best work for the people who have you on speed dial. Their advocacy is way more of a force multiplier for you than a whole chain of command in the company who: a) doesn't care that you or your work exist; b) didn't ask for your opinion on something you consider yourself an expert at; and c) aren't clearly articulating their technology choices or concerns to you.

I'm going to steal some form of this. Love the clear-eyed brutal honesty.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

xzzy posted:

I'd like to see Jenkins go for five minutes without announcing a CVE.

I’d love for it to just goddamn work without needing umpteen plug-ins of dubious quality/support/documentation. How do you screw up your AD plug-in in such a way it can’t even connect/bind?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I hate how many of those empty cliches keep getting reused like they mean something. "We're sticking with Oracle because we need their database software, and using them for everything gives us one throat to choke." Have we ever been happy with their support on anything? No? What good is having this alleged one throat to choke if we can't actually put any pressure on their metaphorical windpipe?

Yeah. Or in the same vein, somebody screaming at you to escalate <random issue> to Amazon or GitHub or something because we're a paying customer dammit and they better take us seriously. Like sure, I agree with you in the abstract, angry tech lead. Vendors should fix issues their paying customers are having. But their customer list includes like, Ford and GE and Netflix and others who are each worth literal hundreds of millions, if not billions, more than us to their bottom line. I am happy to raise a ticket which will sit at the bottom of their queue til the end of time, though if it makes you feel better.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

i am a moron posted:

I'm in the middle of a consulting engagement where I'm weaning a couple of teams off of the idea that "owning stuff" is their job versus "understanding stuff" and "getting people moving fast". I dunno if it's learned or just a personality thing but there are a lot of people in the industry who can't really conceive what you're saying and it can be exhausting.
I started at my current job being one of the lovely gatekeepers, and ended up having a 5x7 sticky note hanging off the side of my monitor that read, "DID THAT MAKE [COMPANY] SMARTER?"

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

There's a line with that line of thought, though. You shouldn't gatekeep any piece of technology to the point where it negatively impacts the business, and at the same time, the business does not derive a competitive advantage from every team independently investing in and solving for their own deployment pipeline simply beacuse the company employs a lot of pipeline understanders but no pipeline owners.

Which services, components, facets, or whatever of your employer's technology footprint are best owned vs best collaboratively understood varies depending on way too many factors to make any strong assertions about.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
imo it's more of a matter of priorities than something being always one way or the other. If someone's priority is gatekeeping to gatekeep it becomes really obvious.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Ok, cool. The AD issue was due to the client apparently assigning us AD domains seemingly at random meaning only like 2 people could actually show up on the AD server Jenkins was pointed at. Because they’re an Okta shop no one seems to know anything about how their stuff is set up except the third party firm that is contracted out to do their IT and cloud work; who are super not thrilled about a DevOps push and are being about as unhelpful as humanly possible.

Business as usual.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

12 rats tied together posted:

There's a line with that line of thought, though. You shouldn't gatekeep any piece of technology to the point where it negatively impacts the business, and at the same time, the business does not derive a competitive advantage from every team independently investing in and solving for their own deployment pipeline simply beacuse the company employs a lot of pipeline understanders but no pipeline owners.

Which services, components, facets, or whatever of your employer's technology footprint are best owned vs best collaboratively understood varies depending on way too many factors to make any strong assertions about.
I understand your viewpoint. I think you might lean too heavily into "well, it depends", and you don't trust people reading information to take away the right things from it. Yes, things can be taken to extremes. But models can be correct, or they can be useful. A model that successfully describes the past with 100% accuracy but underperforms a coin flip on future predictions isn't useful. "Well, it depends on way too many factors" is an inefficient model because it doesn't allow past decisions to improve the speed or quality of future decisions. It defaults people into reactive guidance. I don't think smart people in good companies have issues with giving reactive guidance well; I think they have issues with developing strategy. I'll go a step further, and generalize that most technology organizations would be much better off with a bad strategy that people are empowered to improve than they would be with no strategy at all.

I think that in an unhealthy organization, it's impossible to make strong assertions, because nobody knows what they're talking about, and in the rare event that they do, there's no trust and nobody believes them. But in a healthy org, you can rely on actual priorities and planning to guide your own decision-making. For example: if there was no standard or mandate before someone attempted to actually implement a competing technology, then having a standard or mandate wasn't a priority with buy-in from anyone whose opinion matters. However, there are other things that are priorities. When you pivot to react to someone else's technology choice, you sacrifice the intended benefit of a business priority, something that a lot of very smart people have consciously looked into, figured out the benefit of, and decided to be very important, so you can instead do a bunch of random, unplanned triage work on the business impact of something you didn't care about yesterday.

There's going to be times where this stuff is really important to the organization, and an engineer makes a call like Stanislav Petrov avoiding nuclear war. But it's a lot more common that you end up with engineers who are just constantly going off on these heroic side quests, wrangling cross-functional teams of the company's most talented engineers into bullshit meetings, loving up all the messaging about business priorities, and wrecking norms around team autonomy, so they can do random work to vet and understand technology they they are literally never going to work on or with.

If you want technical governance, do technical governance. Create an intentional process that works. If you find yourself jumping in front of other teams' technical decisions and making up reasons on the fly why they shouldn't move forward, you should always start from the position that you're the rear end in a top hat, doing something that you should be apologizing for and making sure doesn't happen again.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

I don't disagree with a ton of what you're saying but, from what I can tell, the dimension upon which you're assuming a certain level of competence/scale that I do not take for granted is this part exactly:

Vulture Culture posted:

When you pivot to react to someone else's technology choice, you sacrifice the intended benefit of a business priority, something that a lot of very smart people have consciously looked into, figured out the benefit of, and decided to be very important, so you can instead do a bunch of random, unplanned triage work on the business impact of something you didn't care about yesterday.

This presupposes a couple things that are not always true, in my experience:

- every business unit making technology choices meets the requirements of supporting that technology choice for, at least, their own planned use of it
- every staff member that reacts to someone else's technology choice does so by pivoting, instead of having it be explicitly their job

If either of these things are untrue, you're not the rear end in a top hat for investing yourself in a technology being made without your involvement.

I also don't think that every "strategic investment" in a particular technology choice is done out of malice or ignorance, I do believe that it is possible to create healthy platform ownership teams, and we are much more firmly back into "it depends" territory in the presence of either of these things.