Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
13, though I'd still take that over most other show's best seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

CPColin posted:

Discussions? Everywhere discussions??

:vince:

:five:

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
aside from Frank's Brother 7 is the best imo, banger after banger after banger

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

4 and all of you should be ashamed

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 20, 2022

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Clearly it started to go downhill last season.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

The Gang Hits The Road is the episode I use to introduce people to Sunny

Season 5 is also full of absolute bangers

Bleccch
Tastes like sand

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Frank's Brother isn't even that bad. Or, rather maybe the bad parts are so dumb they're still funny. Frank making hoagies in his mouth is idiotic and great. I'm pretty sure the Sunny thread at the time loved the Shadynasty joke because of how dumb it was.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

franks brother was the worst episode when it aired but at this point its a far cry from that. i think its an okay episode overall

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i think seaaon 5 is the best. idk i have to think about the worst. maybe 13. the charlie does saw to win the super bowl episode is the worst episode for sure.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I was a latecomer to Always Sunny and watched seasons 1-13 in a barely conscious haze during the first few months of my son's life, so the idea of separating it into distinct seasons is almost impossible for me to wrap my head around

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Party Boat posted:

I was a latecomer to Always Sunny and watched seasons 1-13 in a barely conscious haze during the first few months of my son's life, so the idea of separating it into distinct seasons is almost impossible for me to wrap my head around

i can understand this sentiment, but i still think there are some noticeable "phases" of the show. for instance it went from 4:3 to 16:9 in season 5, and season 6 was the first filmed in HD.

season 13 was when the show tied ozzie and harriet for longest running live action sitcom and when it was speculated that glenn might leave the show or work on it less due to other projects.

i'd say the show is definitely divided in three chunks based on the above:

old/classic sunny: 1 - 5

mid sunny: 6 - ~12

current/modern sunny: 13 - 15

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Worst: 15

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The worst season is always the upcoming one.

Actually, no it's season 0 before Kaitlyn was around.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Best season is Alternate Season 1 with DeVito digitally composited into the scenes

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Barry Foster posted:

The Gang Hits The Road is the episode I use to introduce people to Sunny

Season 5 is also full of absolute bangers

I use Charlie Work, despite it being a pretty uncharacteristic way of seeing Charlie for the first time. The other 4 characters are all in rare form so I figure it balances out. Also kind of a bottle episode with just the bar set, though I don't know if the front and back of the building are actually in the same location or not. And the inspection lady and truck driver have a fair bit of dialogue between them. Maybe a 1/2 bottle episode?

e:

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

i think seaaon 5 is the best. idk i have to think about the worst. maybe 13. the charlie does saw to win the super bowl episode is the worst episode for sure.

Yeah that one was pretty rough to get through, and Glenn dropping out for the last 2 or 3 episodes was weird. Mac Finds His Pride was pretty stellar though, a lot of the season is redeemed just on that.

e2:
Also The Gang Does a Clipshow is s13, where they explicitly called out the Seinfeld comparisons by thinking that they had a The Contest, but instead it was to see who could masturbate the most :lol:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 21, 2022

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ShoogaSlim posted:

season 13 was when the show tied ozzie and harriet for longest running live action sitcom
This gets repeated a lot but it is in no way true.

Not in number of episodes by a wide margin, and not in longest-running. Just off the top of my head, Red Dwarf is a live-action sitcom that's been running since the 80s, so they'd have to say "continuously-running," but that's not true either, as Sunny has missed some years. Just not as many as Red Dwarf.

WWE Raw bills itself as the "longest-running weekly episodic series on television" and has for years, but it's just marketing. Gunsmoke ran longer and even the more apples-to-apples WCW Saturday Night ran longer too. Or had, through the first decade WWE told this lie. They've probably actually surpassed it by now.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

lol i think that was one of the hardest laughs episodes in general for me, at least on the initial watch, not as much fun on a rewatch but I loved that episode first time.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Stop Chorlie
Thees hase gawn on loeng enuff

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^ One of the blooper reels is half just that scene because Glenn kept breaking on it :lol:

LividLiquid posted:

This gets repeated a lot but it is in no way true.

Not in number of episodes by a wide margin, and not in longest-running. Just off the top of my head, Red Dwarf is a live-action sitcom that's been running since the 80s, so they'd have to say "continuously-running," but that's not true either, as Sunny has missed some years. Just not as many as Red Dwarf.

Not putting out a new season every single year isn't quite the same as Dwarf taking a break from '93 to '97, and '99 to '09. Has Sunny ever actually taken a break or do they just miss some years due to filming/production cycles rolling over a calendar year every once in a while?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

the charlie does saw to win the super bowl episode is the worst episode for sure.

Hard agree. Only thing I laughed at was his hallucinations explaining to him that he set up the trap and then talking to each other about how he still doesn't get it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah, Charlie torturing himself for the super bowl was the worst episode for me by far.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

^^^ One of the blooper reels is half just that scene because Glenn kept breaking on it :lol:

Not putting out a new season every single year isn't quite the same as Dwarf taking a break from '93 to '97, and '99 to '09. Has Sunny ever actually taken a break or do they just miss some years due to filming/production cycles rolling over a calendar year every once in a while?

If we're counting British TV then Red Dwarf isn't even a competitor, you'd want to look at Last Of The Summer Wine, which ran for 31 seasons and 295 episodes between 1973 and 2010.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

There are actually not any bad seasons.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
The golden god has been broken. Turns out mountain rules are a lie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4xMOrmsblo

Edit - This podcast led me to learn that Jerry Levine directed the episode of Sunny where Mac wears the shirt that Levine wore in Teen Wolf. Weird.

Super Deuce fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Feb 21, 2022

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

finally got round to watching the latest season and whilst the irish priest joke was predictable it was still :discourse:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Senor Tron posted:

If we're counting British TV then Red Dwarf isn't even a competitor, you'd want to look at Last Of The Summer Wine, which ran for 31 seasons and 295 episodes between 1973 and 2010.

I mean hell, hasn't Dr. Who been on and off since the 60s?

Also, new podcast, the vinegar derail, I'm actually dying, send help :rip:

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Takes No Damage posted:

I mean hell, hasn't Dr. Who been on and off since the 60s?

Also, new podcast, the vinegar derail, I'm actually dying, send help :rip:

He's going to show you what it's like to be deep inside a really big house. (Surprised they didn't remember that subcharacter)

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Can someone get a screenshot comparison of the floors they were talking about

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbFhIlxGElc

Just got recommended this 2 year old video, I can only assume the algorithm is responding to the podcast

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mac talking about how his mom would spray them with vinegar when they went to the beach to keep away the jersey flies is incredible

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, Charlie torturing himself for the super bowl was the worst episode for me by far.

It's not great but it at least has the Eagles winning the super bowl and that great montage at the end. Frank's Brother hasn't got anything going for it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, this one was really hard to watch and I actually felt sick for a minute over that loving bear trap on his leg.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The only episode I ever really found a slog was the film noir one. It was an interesting experiment, but not one that paid off.

I think what keeps the show good is that the cast are so involved in the writing process. They know these characters so well at this point, and can work with others to keep them fresh, without compromising or stagnating. I don't think you'd have the same result otherwise.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Frank's brother is great especially as a parody of that cocaine movie my freshman year roommate would watch every day.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Frank's brother is great especially as a parody of that cocaine movie my freshman year roommate would watch every day.

The slow closeup on Frank's desolate face as he's banging hoars, "poo poo you don't look a day over 12", "it's a petition!", the double joke about a black man named Muhammed being arrested at the airport...I dunno, I don't usually skip that one.

Between the noir episode and the home alone episode for my least favorite but there's still bits in them I like.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The one about Cricket was not my favorite. Like technically it is fun but it's an unpleasant watch, tonally.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I completely forgot about that one, somehow.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It also had a 19 minute runtime, making it feel like a segment of a Saturday morning cartoon show more than anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

They've had lower episode times for those seasons all around. Being Frank was like 16 or 17 minutes.