Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The sprites were made to be viewed on a blurry rear end CRT using the RF adapter it makes sense they look messy on clearer displays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's not the problem, the problem is that they don't look messy enough

https://twitter.com/CRTpixels/status/1408451743214616587?s=20&t=bbVtWuIsmmpZXIPpUPAxlg

Look at Dracula's mouth. He's supposed to have a smug grin with a squint to his eyes, but if you're looking at the sharp pixels he just looks like :3

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

after two decades of emulating, I like the pixel art tbh

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Finished Three Houses (Black Dragons, I'm not gonna replay with the other lame houses). What fire emblem should I try next?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Chas McGill posted:

Finished Three Houses (Black Dragons, I'm not gonna replay with the other lame houses). What fire emblem should I try next?

Donkey Kong Country 2

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Snake Maze posted:

Most of the time when the game comes up it’s the Dragon Quest fans who recommend putting the game on auto. It’s true that you also have the option of spending 140 hours manually selecting “attack” if you find that more entertaining, though.

But if I'm on auto, why am I watching attack animations? Suddenly I'm playing Bravely Default and just watching numbers go up.

And then I'm once again faced with

1. JRPGs are a beloved childhood genre.

2. This genre isn't for me.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i like my pixels sharp enough to cut my eyes, don't buy into big crt's propaganda

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i use the crt filter, on my Nintendo Switch

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm playing through grapple dog which is pretty fun but just enough cutscenes and unnecessary plot to be annoying

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I like video games.

I'm playing Legend of Mana right now. On one hand I am glad they left the pixels alone. On the other hand, these backgrounds look so nice and crisp still and these pixel people do not.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Tried my first Color Picross puzzles. They're weird. Are they easy? I managed the first page of 3 in Sega Picross without any aid, and now I'm feeling like I should just keep at it but I don't know.

Once I'm done though, that's it, I'll put Sega Picross done for a bit before eventually hitting up Mega Picross. I'll probably refrain from buying a new one and dive into Disco Elysium.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the df retro guy has hosed up impressionable gamer’s minds about CRT. it sucks and I’m glad it’s dead!!!

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Super Mario RPG may not look great in screenshot, but they do a lot in motion. Mario pantomiming what happened in Bowser's Castle to the Toad Chancellor is hilarious.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Quantum of Phallus posted:

the df retro guy has hosed up impressionable gamer’s minds about CRT. it sucks and I’m glad it’s dead!!!
☝️

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Thinking about the big screen TV my dad had in the 80s and how the exterior of the screen was grooved like a vinyl record.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I still have my childhood CRT and it owns and will never break

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I play Alien Isolation with maximum film grain and I love it. This is on PC, don't even know if that's an option for the Switch port. That's as close to a CRT filter as I'll get.

Project Warlock has a SHITLOAD of shader options, each one making it look objectively worse than using none at all, and I can't justify bothering with any of them. But if you're the kind of person who enjoys loving with retro filters, then I strongly recommend checking out the game. You can make it look like an overly saturated Amiga game with a curved screen. If the game wasn't so twitchy (in a good way), then I might try them but I need as much help as possible to see and kill them sumbitches as quickly as possible. :clint:

Also, I've finally started playing Earthbound and I love it.

I barely survived the fight against Frank, and his tank killed me. Good god how am I supposed to do this?!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I play Alien Isolation with maximum film grain and I love it. This is on PC, don't even know if that's an option for the Switch port. That's as close to a CRT filter as I'll get.

Project Warlock has a SHITLOAD of shader options, each one making it look objectively worse than using none at all, and I can't justify bothering with any of them. But if you're the kind of person who enjoys loving with retro filters, then I strongly recommend checking out the game. You can make it look like an overly saturated Amiga game with a curved screen. If the game wasn't so twitchy (in a good way), then I might try them but I need as much help as possible to see and kill them sumbitches as quickly as possible. :clint:

I barely survived the fight against Frank, and his tank killed me. Good god how am I supposed to do this?!

just go try again, i believe in you

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you take a picture of a game running on a crt and view that picture in your OLED or LCD it looks perfect. So they just need to figure out a filter that looks like you took a picture of a game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i used the CRT filter for Super Metroid and it was nice and atmospheric. i thought it looked neat idk i have no strong opinions here

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i don't really use it but its nice that switch online gives u a crt filter

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

flavor.flv posted:

That's not the problem, the problem is that they don't look messy enough

https://twitter.com/CRTpixels/status/1408451743214616587?s=20&t=bbVtWuIsmmpZXIPpUPAxlg

Look at Dracula's mouth. He's supposed to have a smug grin with a squint to his eyes, but if you're looking at the sharp pixels he just looks like :3

I both don't see the :3-face on Dracula in that pic and the tweet mentions definition on his teeth when his mouth is clearly closed so IDK about that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

John Wick of Dogs posted:

If you take a picture of a game running on a crt and view that picture in your OLED or LCD it looks perfect. So they just need to figure out a filter that looks like you took a picture of a game.

I would love some image filters for pictures taken on the Switch.

- overly-saturated Nintendo Power screenshot
- photo from 90 in a dark room no white balance, and you can barely make out the image on the tv. Complete with faded orange digital readout of date on the bottom of the picture.
- polaroid picture taken during motion.
- 80s vacation photo that shows your mom in the background in a swimsuit, showing juuuuuuuust a bit of cleavage.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Toad King posted:

I both don't see the :3-face on Dracula in that pic and the tweet mentions definition on his teeth when his mouth is clearly closed so IDK about that.
The people who run those accounts are insane freaks.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I can kinda see that the single red pixel for the eyes was maybe meant to be softer looking but yeah a lot of it just comes off as aesthetic preference

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Toad King posted:

Yeah i feel ya. Like i see how the eyes are kinda weird as only a pixel but everything else looks fine to me

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I definitely see the teeth and a smug grin.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
He very clearly has fangs poking out and you should get glasses if you can’t see that

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I wear glassess, buster rodd

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The scanlines thing does look better if you're looking at a zoomed in picture on a monitor, but looking at it from a reasonable couch-to-TV distance, it's a wash for me.

also uh that's a moustache; his lips are like a single pixel line and some shading one pixel below that

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the red pixel eye thing also comes off more as a kludge than the idea that they'd meticulously design things with regard to how TVs would interpret the image but idk

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I don’t think it’s particularly farfetched to think they were designing the sprites to look good on a crt tv, especially considering they were probably drawn on a crt monitor.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Boba Pearl posted:

I definitely see the teeth and a smug grin.

Bust Rodd posted:

He very clearly has fangs poking out and you should get glasses if you can’t see that

I mean I'm not the boss of what you or that crazy twitter person are seeing, but here's the concept art that portrait is based on:

E: v okay fine I won't spoiler tag it if you're gonna be like that :mad:

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 20, 2022

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
^
e: ah, beat me to it.

Red eyes are more of a necessity, not enough pixels to distinguish lower eyelids and pupils if they're all gray, so they put in a tiny glowy red blur in the form of single glowing dot.

Drac here looks like he's just Had It, though. He might be undead, but he's dead inside, too.
Also, a lot more Japanese than Hungarian.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

But enough talk... Have at you!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

If you're really asking, Earthbound is an old JRPG, grinding isn't glorious and maybe not even interesting, but even just a few levels more will usually make you strong enough to take any fight you're having trouble with.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Been ages since I last played but iirc the tank is slow so you can just stock up on healing items and heal as needed once you can't survive a hit since you'll heal before it attacks. Also it has a chance of doing nothing on a given turn.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

I think you might need to get yourself some glasses. That is a closed mouth with no fangs.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I printed it out using my 3D printer and using braille it feels perfect. Sorry you don’t have synesthesia as one your side-effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
CRTs are great, but I've yet to find a filter that gives the actual effect of a CRT. There's a lot of nuance to it that filters just don't get right, but that's fine, because I've got my CRT setup right beside me.

I can even commit crimes against video formats by down converting HDMI to RF- I have played my Switch on my CRT before. I don't usually have to do that though, as CRT doesn't usually look good for games made outside the era of analog video or 4:3 aspect ratios. :v:

In any other situation, give me the sharpest drat pixels possible. I want full clarity with no filtering and no stretching- integer scaling only.