Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

sonic has an attitude

He can really move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

They really went for a cocky big brother vibe and it was pretty great.

And it isn't presented as unequivocally good, he gets a lot of pushback from the rest of the cast, and part of what made their Super Sonic so good was that he was Sonic's arrogance and sense of superiority turned up to 11, so he ended up being this ever-present reminder of what Sonic could be if he let his worst traits define him, and occasionally did (against his will, but still). Scourge and now Surge have a similar role, but without the background worry of knowing that Sonic could literally turn into his worse self before your very eyes.

I like how both Sonic and Kintobor have transformations caused by chaos energy, the difference being that Kintobor's is a lot more permanent.

There's an actual downside to Sonic using rings and chaos emeralds, which eventually gives him just enough chaos energy swirling around his body that transforming into Super Sonic is something he has to resist. It's also caused by stress, like having no way out of an actual life-or-death situation.

The idea came from Nigel Kitching seeing an episode of Power Rangers, where at the end they bust out the Ultra-zord or whatever, and he wondered why they didn't use that from the start.

KingKalamari posted:

That's why the Sonic Boom interpretation of the character is my favorite: It brings in some of the sass and sarcasm from the early American/UK interpretation, but doesn't push it quite so far as to make him seem like an unlikable jerk.

That and I just think Roger Craig Smith did a really good job voicing him.

The new cast fit the tone and writing of the Boom cartoon perfectly. In Forces the same actors sound so lifeless because the writing doesn't work as either a comedy or a dramatic shoenen story.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

KingKalamari posted:

That's why the Sonic Boom interpretation of the character is my favorite: It brings in some of the sass and sarcasm from the early American/UK interpretation, but doesn't push it quite so far as to make him seem like an unlikable jerk.

That and I just think Roger Craig Smith did a really good job voicing him.

Boom also probably had my favorite version of Amy as well (she’s competent, has a better design, and while there’s hints her crush on Sonic still remains she’s not stalkerish about it), though her STC incarnation wasn’t bad either

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 19, 2022

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

and penders claimed ownership because he "owns" the concept of evil sonic lol

Please give the man his due credit. He came up with Sonic wearing generic sunglasses.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Hrist posted:

Please give the man his due credit. He came up with Sonic wearing generic sunglasses.

I'm sure I can point to that case as precedent when I introduce Evil Mickey to the world.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The copyright or whatever it is will be up sooner or later. It won't be long until Ken Penders legally owns the rights to his NFT of Green Mickey.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”
ken penders will own the entirety of sonic one of these days...

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of the Sonic cartoons. The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog is out on Bluray next week.

I got an early copy and it seems like they could only source some rather bad film transfers and VHS tapes. Not sure if it's worth $60.

E: yeah they took the videos from the distributor's last online transfer.

https://youtu.be/8IitAAlElX4

Dehry fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 20, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Larryb posted:

Boom also probably had my favorite version of Amy as well (she’s competent, has a better design, and while there’s hints her crush on Sonic still remains she’s not stalkerish about it), though her STC incarnation wasn’t bad either

Also means they actually have a way more interesting dynamic that occasionally just goes full 'old married couple'.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Hot take: Boom Amy’s only defining feature as a character is “competent girl”
She’s not a terrible character but she’s usually just the straight-man or the one they use when they need a girl for the plot (because she’s the only one on the show that isn’t crazy or a background character.) You can name defining traits for each of the other main characters: Sonic is the cocky hero, Tails is the boy genius, Knuckles is the strong dumb guy, and Sticks is the paranoid wild card. Amy is… feminine yet competent? I guess it works out well enough for the show though.

Honestly I think most of Amy’s depictions that aren’t just her fawning over Sonic tend to be that way. Sonic Adventure gave her something to work with but it went down the drain more or less immediately afterwards. Now they’re hard pivoting away from her original depiction but don’t seem to know what they want to do with her. It’s not like there’s an issue with the franchise’s female characters in general; Blaze, Rouge, Tangle, etc all have distinct well formed personalities. Meanwhile Amy is… what? a navigator for the resistance? Why? How? She’s only there because Forces decided they needed a navigator and picked a random character, like how it randomly made Knuckles the leader. She doesn’t really do anything in any other modern games either. In the comics she seems like a cross between her Boom depiction and her old one.

In the end though the important thing is that she’s not racist.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

hasn't been seen to be racist

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Unfortunately developer notes on character sketches for sonic cd reveal shes a holocaust denialist.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I knew there was something off about that time she talked at length about zyklon b being a harmless delousing agent in sonic adventure 2

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Yeah youre right, in retrospect it makes that scene from adventure 2 make more snese:

Amy: lf i help you will you admit it wasnt even close to 2 million?
Sonic: No way!
Amy: i thought i had you this time!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Amy Rose truthers itt

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I've now read the first 12 issues of Sonic the Comic. It's still in the weird stage like real early Archie Sonic so I don't have much to say, except

1) holy poo poo the nazi eggman bots who do the sieg hail pose
2) how the gently caress did they predict The Ooze

The rest of the game comics are..interesting. The art for Shinobi, Golden Axe and Kid Chameleon? Really good! KC was kinda whatever but the other two were actually pretty neat stories. Every panel of Wonder Boy, however, should appear on the goodfaces twitter. God drat. Streets of Rage had way the hell more straight up death than I thought it would.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Streets of rage was written by a very young mark Millar, if that helps explains things

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

"Ninjas are wimps!" is the greatest writing of Mark Millar's career.

Millar also wrote a chunk of early Sonic stories, and they must have kept some old scripts in a drawer somewhere because StCtP has just covered one in issue 72.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Streets of rage was written by a very young mark Millar, if that helps explains things

..yes..yes it does. Huh.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Here's how you make Amy interesting: make her stronger than Sonic. Maybe stronger than knuckles

Establish that those rings on her wrists are power inhibitors, just like Shadow's. She wears them because she thinks that in order to be feminine she needs to project weakness and vulnerability. Write a story about her realising that's not true

Maybe she takes them off in order to protect Sonic from something, and she expects him to reject her even harder now, but instead he finally notices her for the first time

It even works with established canon, cause she's at her strongest and most independent in Boom, where she only wears one ring, and that's also the continuity where Sonic comes closest to reciprocating her feelings

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

ArfJason posted:

Unfortunately developer notes on character sketches for sonic cd reveal shes a holocaust denialist.
Amy is why Genocide Zone was cut from Sonic 2

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Tails did 9/11.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Hot take: Boom Amy’s only defining feature as a character is “competent girl”
She’s not a terrible character but she’s usually just the straight-man or the one they use when they need a girl for the plot (because she’s the only one on the show that isn’t crazy or a background character.) You can name defining traits for each of the other main characters: Sonic is the cocky hero, Tails is the boy genius, Knuckles is the strong dumb guy, and Sticks is the paranoid wild card. Amy is… feminine yet competent? I guess it works out well enough for the show though.

Honestly I think most of Amy’s depictions that aren’t just her fawning over Sonic tend to be that way. Sonic Adventure gave her something to work with but it went down the drain more or less immediately afterwards. Now they’re hard pivoting away from her original depiction but don’t seem to know what they want to do with her. It’s not like there’s an issue with the franchise’s female characters in general; Blaze, Rouge, Tangle, etc all have distinct well formed personalities. Meanwhile Amy is… what? a navigator for the resistance? Why? How? She’s only there because Forces decided they needed a navigator and picked a random character, like how it randomly made Knuckles the leader. She doesn’t really do anything in any other modern games either. In the comics she seems like a cross between her Boom depiction and her old one.

In the end though the important thing is that she’s not racist.

Yeah, she seemed to have some goofier qualities in the earliest episodes (ie her ridiculous audition in The Sidekick) but the show pretty quickly settled on "The mom" as her general characterization within the group.

My own take on the direction they should go with Amy: Play her up as competent, but naïve to the point of being slightly detached from reality. Outside of her crush on Sonic one of her most consistent character traits is befriending antagonists like Gamma, Shadow or Silver and helping to redeem them, so I say play that up and start portraying her as almost psychotically optimistic. Pair that with the fact that when she actually gets angry she will gently caress. poo poo. UP. and I think you've got a decent scaffold to build a character on!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
amy is cute and full of energy

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Looper posted:

amy is cute and full of energy

so is sonic

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Dabir posted:

so is sonic

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

amy is may from guilty gear
they even have the same name

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I feel like Amy should be written in more of a sisterly role to Sonic, still being massively overprotective of him and somewhat clingy inasmuch as she wants to spend time with him, but just because she doesn't want him to take everything on himself rather than some pseudo-romance, as it's kind of lovely to make something that definitely isn't going to happen a key character trait.

They've cut back on the romance angle massively in recent years, but haven't really worked out her actual role in the series to replace it.

KingKalamari posted:

My own take on the direction they should go with Amy: Play her up as competent, but naïve to the point of being slightly detached from reality. Outside of her crush on Sonic one of her most consistent character traits is befriending antagonists like Gamma, Shadow or Silver and helping to redeem them, so I say play that up and start portraying her as almost psychotically optimistic. Pair that with the fact that when she actually gets angry she will gently caress. poo poo. UP. and I think you've got a decent scaffold to build a character on!

I like that, it wouldn't rewrite her established characterisation, but it definitely needs to be clearly defined that she can gently caress poo poo up when it's called upon.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

KingKalamari posted:

Yeah, she seemed to have some goofier qualities in the earliest episodes (ie her ridiculous audition in The Sidekick) but the show pretty quickly settled on "The mom" as her general characterization within the group.

Isn't this just lola bunny from the new looney toons.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Clearly the best Amy characterisation is for her to become Doctor Who with a green bird lady companion

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Unrelated to the convo but fat yoshi and fat chocobo should meet with the fat green flicky from 3d blast

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Boba Pearl posted:

Isn't this just lola bunny from the new looney toons.

You say that like it's a bad thing?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
make sonic lola bunny from the new looney toons instead

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE

Mikedawson posted:

I've listened to about 20 or so episodes of STCTP. Of what I've listened to, I think it's really cool learning what it was like to be a UK kid in the 90s, but I can get a little annoyed by how dismissive they are of Sonic stuff they didn't grow up with. But the most recent episode I listened to is from 2 years ago so I don't think I can give a full judgement.

No, you can. You're right. I mean, it is a recurring joke, but it's also the kind of joke where the punchline is us, because of how, even though we're joking, it is what we think. Know what I mean? The joke is how absurd it is that we are nearly 40 years old and we actually have opinions about Sonic the Hedgehog that sincerely matter to us, and are extremely petty.

we're right though, our Sonic is *clearly* the best one.

Party Boat posted:

The STCTP hosts don't actually hate Archists, in the same way that STC Sonic doesn't actually hate Tails.

I think this is my favourite thing anyone's said about stctp

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hey remember that scene in Boom that had Knuckles “totally own” Amy by saying that the real sexism was pointing out inequality, and then had him call himself a feminist

That bit sucked

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Nodosaur posted:

That bit sucked
Didn't you hate literally all of Boom Knuckles or am I mixing up something from admittedly long enough I probably shouldn't bring it up?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Spiderdrake posted:

Didn't you hate literally all of Boom Knuckles or am I mixing up something from admittedly long enough I probably shouldn't bring it up?

I’m not a fan, no. That doesn’t really have anything to do with the joke’s message being flawed though.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I was never a fan of how the only explicitly Black-coded character in the franchise -- and I'm not referring to Shadow or the Black Arms aliens or whatever -- is the dumb muscle. Sonic Boom may have been funny for a lot of people, but it wasn't comfortable seeing Knuckles be portrayed as an illiterate moron. Even the franchise's Golden Boy Ian Flynn falls into that trap.

I wish they'd give Sonic another Black voice actor. Jaleel White did a great job, and one of my best friends when I was a kid loved Sonic because, to him, Sonic was one of the few really positive Black comic/cartoon/video game characters that wasn't relying on stereotypes.

I don't plan on watching the Sonic movies because A) there's a cop character and B) Jim Carrey is in it, but I love the fact they got Idris Elba to be Knuckles and they're playing him as a serious threat and rival, like he was in Sonic 3.

And yes, I am an SJW (Sonic Justice Warrior).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nodosaur posted:

I’m not a fan, no. That doesn’t really have anything to do with the joke’s message being flawed though.

He had more jokes then that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu7lZVfnPkE&ab_channel=Liamo