Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ignite Memories posted:

HOLY poo poo NEPAL
Me trying to find Nepal on this unlabelled map: Hehe Nepal more li-AHAHA YESS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/e_salvaggio/status/1494322969127964679?t=MO8xg9JdXrdYCQh0Z5Ebtw&s=19

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
The nodes all need to have the sad face of the original switch guy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ignite Memories posted:

HOLY poo poo NEPAL

Nippal

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

im Tʜᴇ Mᴀᴘ

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I'm glad that my favourite statistical programming language feels able to be open about its gender identity journey but I'm not sure what Aristotle has to do with it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

opp opp R*otle time

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Splicer posted:

Me trying to find Nepal on this unlabelled map: Hehe Nepal more li-AHAHA YESS
Ugh, it would be so much funnier if they didn't put it somewhere on the border of Bhutan and Arunachal Pradesh.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Manual for a flashlight

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Flashlight looks :krad:

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
So it's morse to turn on your flashlight?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
I've experienced an eagle suddenly taking flight like two meters away from me; I hadn't spotted it because it was very still and had natural camouflage colours for the local vegetation. Those fuckers are huge with beaks and talons and I wouldn't want to fight one. Yeah, hollow bones and all, I could probably break its wings and poo poo and it would die, but I'd also get an ambulance ride out of the deal.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

VictualSquid posted:

Manual for a flashlight

this is a good chart, imo

better than a dense brick of text with he same info, at least

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

VictualSquid posted:

Manual for a flashlight

This is just a Finite State Machine with a Batman logo on it :shrug:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ensign Expendable posted:

This is just a Finite State Machine with a Batman logo on it :shrug:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
scp-2521 rear end flashlight imo

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If a state diagram is a suitable end user manual I've been doing so much extra work.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Peanut Butler posted:

this is a good chart, imo

better than a dense brick of text with he same info, at least

I mean, the real issue is that you have a bunch of features and only one button. Either add more buttons or remove some features.

I do like the batt check pun.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I can see that-
More buttons are gonna increase the per-unit cost more than you might think, but features are just code that can be copied over and over. I can see why this flashlight (and vapes, and other small electronic objects) operate with as few buttons as possible

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Everything operates with as few buttons as possible. It's very annoying. I hope I live to see a future where gratuitous buttons return and we escape this minimalist design desert.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Everything operates with as few buttons as possible. It's very annoying. I hope I live to see a future where gratuitous buttons return and we escape this minimalist design desert.

My laser pointer doesn't need Dvorak and QWERTY keyboards, but I'm in.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

My "favourite" is when you have more buttons for less options.
First clothes dryer: Dial with minutes on it and a button for "hot" and "less hot". Want to add time? Turn the time knob. Want to change the hot? Press the hot button.
Second clothes dryer: Use these six buttons to navigate menus on the built in LED screen to select a number of preset drying options, none of which actually get your clothes dry.
Dryer we got after returning the previous dryer: Time dial + hot button.

PYF yelling at cloud

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Everything operates with as few buttons as possible. It's very annoying. I hope I live to see a future where gratuitous buttons return and we escape this minimalist design dessert.

Same but the letter s

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

In my opinion every device should look like a modular synth

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A reasonable ratio between features and buttons is one thing. A reasonable ratio between function and features is another and more important thing. Your laser pointer needs only one button because it needs only one feature: turn laser on/off.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Turn on for eight seconds. Then, turn off for two seconds. Turn on for eight seconds. Turn off for two seconds. Turn on for eight seconds. Turn off for two seconds. Turn on for eight seconds. Turn off for two seconds. Turn on for eight seconds. Turn off for two seconds.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Input the Konami code using your brake pedal and gear shifter to reset your car firmware back to factory standard.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
"Crash imminent, please engage airbag by app..." *Loud crashing noises* "...lying... Crash detected. Airbag not deployed. Insurance voided. Ambulance queued. Please enter credit card details through brake taps. Please enter first credit card number now"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

zedprime posted:

Input the Konami code using your brake pedal and gear shifter to reset your car firmware back to factory standard.

Go back to twitter, Elon

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

BonHair posted:

I mean, the real issue is that you have a bunch of features and only one button. Either add more buttons or remove some features.

I do like the batt check pun.

If you want less features then that's what muggle mode is for. :colbert:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The fundamental problem there is that a flashlight does not need to have that many God drat options. Nobody on the planet will use them. They exist entirely for tacticlol spergs who for some reason have decided that a flashlight is a symbol of their manhood.

Like even if you accept that okay, sure, a flashlight should have a couple of different brightness options and a flashing mode or whatever, some of that poo poo absolutely does not need to be configured on the device on the fly with a single button Morse code interface. Thermal limit settings? Ramping end points?? Who is changing those things out on a camping trip? Just put a loving USB port inside the thing and configure it from your computer. Jesus

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

My dashcam. It doesn't look TOO bad because it leaves out a ton of features. Such as "save this clip" or "take a photo". Which are instead done though voice recognition. But only these two, everything else you have to use an app.

Sagebrush posted:

The fundamental problem there is that a flashlight does not need to have that many God drat options. Nobody on the planet will use them. They exist entirely for tacticlol spergs who for some reason have decided that a flashlight is a symbol of their manhood.

Like even if you accept that okay, sure, a flashlight should have a couple of different brightness options and a flashing mode or whatever, some of that poo poo absolutely does not need to be configured on the device on the fly with a single button Morse code interface. Thermal limit settings? Ramping end points?? Who is changing those things out on a camping trip? Just put a loving USB port inside the thing and configure it from your computer. Jesus
USB ports cost money though. Maybe just leave two pins for a serial connection so that the spergs can hook it up to their 1998 PC that came with a serial port.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm not sure the ATtiny on those flashlights even has a uart for serial connection. Reprogramming them via a somewhat complicated interface is way better than reflashing them.

These flashlights are for nerds who care about emitter tints and color temperatures. Tactilol gun nerds just buy a surefire or something with a bright mode and a strobe function.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It doesn't need a UART. Bit-banging is more than fast enough to download a few configuration values. And yeah, instead of usb, just put two gold-plated contacts somewhere on the outside of the device. I'm sure the guy with that flashlight would jump at the opportunity to buy the cool pogo pin programming connector for it

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Splicer posted:

My "favourite" is when you have more buttons for less options.
First clothes dryer: Dial with minutes on it and a button for "hot" and "less hot". Want to add time? Turn the time knob. Want to change the hot? Press the hot button.
Second clothes dryer: Use these six buttons to navigate menus on the built in LED screen to select a number of preset drying options, none of which actually get your clothes dry.
Dryer we got after returning the previous dryer: Time dial + hot button.

PYF yelling at cloud

My favorite oven just had two knobs: one for the temperature, one for the timer. Every oven I've had since then has these awful pseudo touchscreen buttons that take forever to set the temperature or time with.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Give me fat grey buttons with labels like CRTT and DMJA and AS(1) in tiny letters

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I had the very first android phone, and they threw in every feature they could think of. It had physical home, back and menu buttons, a clickable trackball, and a slideout keyboard

loving loved that thing. I mourn every single button they've removed since then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I secretly miss the little slideout keyboard on one of my older phones. Duck swiftkey