Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
In the mid 90s, my mom did one of the Tanqueray AIDS bike rides from the Twin Cities to Chicago. Incredible feat that she’s proud of to this day. Bribed me $100 when I was 10 to learn how to ride. Glad I did because I needed it in my 20s.

My dad has never learned to bike and it bums me out because in his retirement he got really into physical activity. The dichotomy is wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Jestery posted:

The bike way is on the side closest to the camera

It has collected the wing mirror and bumper of a car that couldn't take the turn

Refuse to believe that's a bikeway. Only in the context of wildly car oriented development could that be considered a bikeway and not a road divider that bicyclists might try to cycle along at great personal risk and zero margin for error. Not buying it.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I was lucky when I was a kid, my parents split up and my mum found a new gf down in london. We used to visit over the summer holidays, and she lived in a cul-de-sac that was safe to play out in all day. I made friends with the other kids there, who lent me a bike and taught me to ride it. I don't think I would have learned without them.

Seems like Manchester is now going to get bike riding to be taught in schools, which is pretty awesome, but actually riding a bike there would have been a death sentence, and I don't remember a single kid who did at either primary or high school. Hopefully things are changing!

gently caress cars.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Nocturtle posted:

Refuse to believe that's a bikeway. Only in the context of wildly car oriented development could that be considered a bikeway and not a road divider that bicyclists might try to cycle along at great personal risk and zero margin for error. Not buying it.
The angle might be under selling it. But I respect it if you still think it's insufficient

And here is 30m from where I took the photo

This specific bikeway(and bikeways in general here) are a real land of contrasts.

It's significantly better on the whole than it looks there and It feels a hell of a lot better than worrying about cars behind, or getting doored, and the bikeways just kinda ends about 300m up the road , aswell as 100m in the other direction uses genuinely world class intersection design, and then a km further its a just cycle and pedestrian pathway.

A lot of the bikeways in my city are in an awkward phase where a lot have stalled in a segregated trial phase. Being good enough for a proof of concept to show that people will use them. And then sort of just left alone because , hey , people are happy to use them.

And to their credit, if they had this style on all major cycle traffic corridors I would be a happier chappy, it's a quick way of making cycle infrastructure, but I do wish it were more segregated, actual bollards would be nice

I mentioned earlier about going on a community ride for upgrading and linking the bike way, this is that bikeway.

Jestery has issued a correction as of 22:38 on Feb 20, 2022

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

That doesn't look too bad. What country are you in?

I see the cars have to give way to the bikes on that green bit - can you assume they will, or do they ignore it?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That's nicer than anything in my city. By a lot lol

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Bobstar posted:

That doesn't look too bad. What country are you in?

I see the cars have to give way to the bikes on that green bit - can you assume they will, or do they ignore it?

This is East coast Australia

We are having the Olympics here in a decade, and our cycle infrastructure has come a long way in just a few years.

This was the same area just a year ago

https://youtu.be/jF-etMaxb2I

And this is now

https://youtu.be/Q_avxoAeisg

For comparison. So it's coming along in leaps and bounds, if you can make it out those yellow barriers have enough which pain around that could easier have more substantial concrete barriers put in later

Our leaders are atleast open to the idea of carbrain being bad. And our traffic system is at a chronic 30-50 kmph (basically bike pace) once you get anywhere near the city.

And I have a little bit of insider knowledge that our Lord Mayor is hugely aware of carbrain as a concept and is super in favour of non-car transit infrastructure, 2 new train tunnelling works , multiple cross river footbridges and city bases bike ways are also being put in. We already have two stadiums and entertainment buildings that can be used, so thats one less thing to be built

I won't go so far as to say the Olympics won't ruin our city, but it's nice to see that ten years before the games , large amounts of public transit infrastructure is being made, that sort of investment will atleast pay dividends in the future

The goal is to basically be car free inner city by 2032 which is doable I think , but the problems will be hearts and minds and as always, carbrain

And for giving way, they actually kinda do most of the time, the raise bit is like a massive speed bump that is hate to ignore and the turn in had enough space to allow cars behind to pass, so the car will stop and let you pass, because speeding through will damage the car

Enough cyclist use the bikeways too, so it catches their eyes and makes them consider the cyclist significantly before the turn

Jestery has issued a correction as of 23:04 on Feb 20, 2022

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

jfc

https://twitter.com/bontrager_keith/status/1495443890253357059

mystes
May 31, 2006

gently caress that should be illegal. I guess good that it has a front camera but cars should not be so big that they need front cameras, that's insane. You shouldn't need to divert your eyes to a front camera to see if there's a car in front of you.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
yeah you know you've hosed the design when your vehicle needs a front-facing camera :psypop:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Solution: Place the driver's seat in front of the grill.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I feel like someone looking in the rearview mirror in that corvette probably has a clear view of the road behind the truck, unless they look closely enough to spot the trucknuts dangling into view at the top of the of the mirror.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Jesus cbrhist

mystes
May 31, 2006

This is just going to encourage other people to buy bigger cars if they don't want to die. The free market at work!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The solution to this is to make even bigger cars.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

this

gunna buy a monster truck from one of htose discoutnt 90s monster truck rallies

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

quote:

According to police and a horrifying video later posted to TikTok, the 57-year-old pedestrian was crossing Cypress Avenue from west to east at about 6:35 p.m. when the 40-year-old driver of a white crossover SUV, making the tight left turn from Cooper Avenue, clipped the pedestrian, knocking him to the pavement.

The driver of the white car was issued a summons for failure to yield. It is unclear what happened to the driver of the black SUV, which delivered the life-threatening injuries. The NYPD declined to provide further details.

mystes
May 31, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Can't wait until my giant mile high supertruck is crushing entire buildings

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

my introduction to car culture was the day I was hit in a crosswalk while walking to elementary school. I wasn't badly hurt and continued walking, in part because the diver of the car was getting really mad at me.

The driver followed me to school and reported me to the administration. A teacher pulled me aside later that morning to chide me for having been hit by a car.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
car owners will not be satisfied until they ZA WARUDO and throw their 13 ft truck grill through my chest and pummel through it triggering an explosion just to be thorough with their carbrain murderlust

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

quote:

As someone who drives a truck, what I see is $1500 saved in buying and installing a deer guard. I’ve never had anything resembling a close call w/pedestrians, but I’ve had countless close calls and a couple actual impacts with deer, which can kill people.

for a brief moment, I look into the deer's eyes through my car's front-facing camera and congratulate myself for being a savvy consumer

mystes
May 31, 2006

"I've run over countless pedestrians, but it's never been anything resembling a close call for my car so I obviously didn't buy the deer guard for that."

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

brakeless posted:

for a brief moment, I look into the deer's eyes through my car's front-facing camera and congratulate myself for being a savvy consumer

deer should've had a car guard :chord: :capitalism:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

bedpan posted:

my introduction to car culture was the day I was hit in a crosswalk while walking to elementary school. I wasn't badly hurt and continued walking, in part because the diver of the car was getting really mad at me.

The driver followed me to school and reported me to the administration. A teacher pulled me aside later that morning to chide me for having been hit by a car.

this entire post is :wtc: but this part especially is what the absolute gently caress, that guy should have left the school in handcuffs, lmao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Xaris posted:

this

gunna buy a monster truck from one of htose discoutnt 90s monster truck rallies

I won't rest till everyone is driving 18 wheelers.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

this entire post is :wtc: but this part especially is what the absolute gently caress, that guy should have left the school in handcuffs, lmao

From what I remember of the teacher saying about my bad behavior, the only person who was in danger of leaving the school in handcuffs was me.

The streets and every piece of adjacent infrastructure are the exclusive preserve of cars and trucks. Engaging with the streets and not being in a car is more than a risk or taking your life in your own hands, it is a crime and an extreme social perversion.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

bedpan posted:

From what I remember of the teacher saying about my bad behavior, the only person who was in danger of leaving the school in handcuffs was me.

The streets and every piece of adjacent infrastructure are the exclusive preserve of cars and trucks. Engaging with the streets and not being in a car is more than a risk or taking your life in your own hands, it is a crime and an extreme social perversion.

oh, I wasn't saying he was in any danger. I was saying that in a sane society, if you follow a child to school in your car, you should be promptly arrested and asked a lot of stern questions by muscular men in prison

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

pretty sure actual apcs have better forward visibility than that thing lol

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mr. Sharps posted:

pretty sure actual apcs have better forward visibility than that thing lol

yeah they unironically do because they have 3 screens instead of 1

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

my cities subreddit is chock full of cagers melting down about petrol prices, it fucken rules :newlol:

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

an actual frog posted:

yeah you know you've hosed the design when your vehicle needs a front-facing camera :psypop:

front facing camera. the people who designed this truck should be in prison

mystes
May 31, 2006

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

front facing camera. the people who designed this truck should be in prison
It's a product that specifically appeals to chuds so even if regulation was a thing the us still did it would be impossible to regulate.

But it's absurd that it's legal to sell it.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Sphyre posted:

my cities subreddit is chock full of cagers melting down about petrol prices, it fucken rules :newlol:

Lol same

We had the most exxy petrol in the country recently
Meanwhile I'm looking at the price of rolled oats going :thonk:

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Sphyre posted:

I just paid $3.20 NZD for a litre of petrol lmao ($8.10 USD/gallon equivalent). Serves me right for driving I guess.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Blackhawk posted:

I just paid $3.20 NZD for a litre of petrol lmao ($8.10 USD/gallon equivalent). Serves me right for driving I guess.

You're goddamn right

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Cars bad, my apologies

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
here’s a dumb question but what’s under the roads of all these stupid rear end city streets that will hopefully go away someday? what I mean to ask is, are there any asphalt eating microbes that could break down the city streets and rehabilitate the soil underneath them? I want to replace the streets with plants and trees instead of the demon car

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Bike update: crank axle still busted

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Free Crank Axle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Centrist Committee posted:

here’s a dumb question but what’s under the roads of all these stupid rear end city streets that will hopefully go away someday? what I mean to ask is, are there any asphalt eating microbes that could break down the city streets and rehabilitate the soil underneath them? I want to replace the streets with plants and trees instead of the demon car

If there is ever a real peak oil or whatever will stop gas/petrol being cheap I assume we will just abandon the outer suburbs to nature. roads will crack and things will grow and their roots will eventually break up the surface. I doubt we will get ever around to replacing every single car with an electric version, most people are in denial about that.

eg