Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
For a meta event, I think using Omega Dawn as a threat to the Runner identity would be interesting given the current mentality of Shadowrunners being corporate mercenaries rather than people thrown to a bad situation and taking up Shadowrunning to deal with it.

The idea I had was Omega Dawn decided to ease up on killing every runner or sinless they find and instead poach potential runners to work for them through a shell company and even get a couple of Merc minded Jackpointers onboard as Clockwork finally snaps and shills for Omega Dawn's company arguing about the death of anarchists and morality and how this organization is one of the slickest fixers in existence that cumulates with a matrix and physical attack by the Omega Dawn Fixer group targeting runner havens and taking with them a good deal of information involving the Shadows and plans to use it to blackmail corporations about it to use it fulfill only corporate agendas and leaving a body count in the Anarchist community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shadowrun Anarchy 2050 dropped today, for those interested. Anarchy itself was just such a terrible mixed bag I don't think I can justify the purchase unless I hear a lot of good stuff about 2050.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

DerekSmartymans posted:

Watchers aren’t even really sentient beings in SR, are they? Sort of like an Aerial Servant in AD&D…conjured automatons that don’t have existence before or after they manifest. Don’t remember which sourcebook I think I remember that from, maybe the 2057 Magic splat book?

The quasi-lore theorized in the text is that they borrow their sapience from the summoner, hence why they can speak any language the summoner can.

I think the spells had to be physical to be grounded though.

Dawgstar posted:

Shadowrun Anarchy 2050 dropped today, for those interested. Anarchy itself was just such a terrible mixed bag I don't think I can justify the purchase unless I hear a lot of good stuff about 2050.

It's a supplement to the original anarchy, so it's more of a continuation of that.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

gyrobot posted:

For a meta event, I think using Omega Dawn as a threat to the Runner identity would be interesting given the current mentality of Shadowrunners being corporate mercenaries rather than people thrown to a bad situation and taking up Shadowrunning to deal with it.

The Better Than Bad book presents "'Hooding," IE, doing runs for good causes, as a diametrically opposed option to "typical" Shadowruns. That you're all in one way or the other. I always had the impression that being SINless makes you free to choose what you do, that the above is a false choice and each kind of run is rewarding in its own way, more Karma for "good" ones, more money for corp on corp shenanigans. The rules still present that part.

The original concept was that 'runners are grease (or graphite) in a system full of powers that are at an impasse with each other, they can get things done by being outside the system that no one else can, from the Stuffer Shack owner being overwhelmed by violent gangs that he can't afford to get Lone Star to stop to one giant company needing to rip off or trip up a rival, when using direct assets would start a war (or cause damage to the bottom line).

But even that is all Johnson-related. There's little talk about the Burned Company Man doing his own run to get back at the company that screwed him. There was a lot of mention how smugglers kept the Cascade Orcs going after the Second Crash and are tolerated to this day because of it. Yet with smuggling a huge part of the Sixth World, including having flying tanks engaged in it, it doesn't touch on PC activity, save for the occasional ride at the start of a run. Even though there's usually a template for one.

It seems that there needs to be a much more personalized approach by a GM to putting the PCs goals and issues in a Shadowrun game, up to and including doing their own runs sometimes.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
Still the idea of hooding organizations would be the kind of things the Omega Dawn type company to make an army to wipe out if only to demonstrate the power of corporations over the Sixth World, either the corps can acknowledge OD as an asset to replace Shadowrunners or they fight them and lose out one people loyal to the identity of what a corporation represents: Unstoppable power

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Is it just me or is the opening to the classic 1990s Lorenzo Lamas vehicle Renegade the most shadowrun thing ever https://youtu.be/-F_Tk3Ep8oU It has it all. Leather dusters, native americans, some dude shooting a lmg inside of an office building.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Well, that video is blocked in my country (USA) on copyright grounds, which fits the theme ...

This one worked for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0kkPK_WSck

(Also, holy poo poo, I'd never seen that before, you are absolutely right.)

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Post the most shadowrun movie clips you got.

https://youtu.be/v81Aj3R9v1M

William Shatner is proud to present!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Pick a clip from Johnny Mnemonic. The entire movie is 'What else can we rip off of Shadowrun?'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bird food bathtub posted:

Pick a clip from Johnny Mnemonic. The entire movie is 'What else can we rip off of Shadowrun?'

Well, it's based on a William Gibson novel so it's kind of a flat circle deal save 'add elves' I guess.

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Well, it's based on a William Gibson novel so it's kind of a flat circle deal save 'add elves' I guess.

Should have added some orcs.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Zombie Squared posted:

Should have added some orcs.

“Bright” had orca, elves, and The Fresh Prince!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Dawgstar posted:

The screenplay was even written by Gibson.

And Shadowrun has never had anything as cool as the Navy getting dolphins hooked on heroin and one of those dolphins becoming a hacker.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

PeterWeller posted:

The screenplay was even written by Gibson.

And Shadowrun has never had anything as cool as the Navy getting dolphins hooked on heroin and one of those dolphins becoming a hacker.

They were building towards it but then Catalyst happened.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Technocritters are an idea that could be either really cool or really dumb depending on how they ever explained resonance works. Given Catalyst... it'd be best if they just don't mention them again.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
My interpretation was that magic this cycle ran face first in to a very, very different humanity and weirdness like Resonance is people adapting to magic just as much as magic presenting differently to humanity. I have not read much/any lore outside of rule books so quite possibly wrong, but it's what I based an entire campaign on and it worked out pretty good.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

A concept of the idea that appeared in a Swedish RPG at around the same time, when they wanted to get in on the hacking-the-gibson cyberpunk craze, was that the whole technocritter thing should be deliberately alien and technologically wrong. Not as in morally wrong but as in it makes absolutely no sense for it to work that way. :D

One campaign centred almost entirely around the discovery of these things being invented and released in the wild by the local EvilCorp®, where they mixed ye olde brain in a vat cyberghost story with sharks because… well, why wouldn't you? The result was “bio ice” that prowled the network, except that by virtue of nonsense magic being biological constructs in cyberspace, they weren't bound by the silly tech-based network structure and (quite literally) swam around outside and between the nodes and connections that regular programs and hackers used. How? Shut up, that's how.

Naturally, it all ended up as Deep Blue Sea but in (cyber)spaaaaace, to everyone's groaning delight.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Tippis posted:

A concept of the idea that appeared in a Swedish RPG at around the same time, when they wanted to get in on the hacking-the-gibson cyberpunk craze, was that the whole technocritter thing should be deliberately alien and technologically wrong. Not as in morally wrong but as in it makes absolutely no sense for it to work that way. :D

One campaign centred almost entirely around the discovery of these things being invented and released in the wild by the local EvilCorp®, where they mixed ye olde brain in a vat cyberghost story with sharks because… well, why wouldn't you? The result was “bio ice” that prowled the network, except that by virtue of nonsense magic being biological constructs in cyberspace, they weren't bound by the silly tech-based network structure and (quite literally) swam around outside and between the nodes and connections that regular programs and hackers used. How? Shut up, that's how.

Naturally, it all ended up as Deep Blue Sea but in (cyber)spaaaaace, to everyone's groaning delight.

I liked Gibson’s AI fracturing into dozens of near omnipotent (cyberspace only) entities after 3Jane said The Word. And they took on a bit of hubris and worked themselves into cyber-voodoo “gods” because that’s what they felt would match their abilities (and disabilities!) and reach to the humans’ psychological makeup easiest.

Count Zero & Mona Lisa Overdrive were interesting even without orcs and elves! The SR series has always been a fun mix of fantasy and gritty cyberpunk, just not as well thought out as time goes on after adding magic to Neuromancer.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The SR5 explanation for What is Going On with the Resonance is that it's another plane like the Astral that has swung into being coterminous with the physical plane, but this time there's enough technology around to control it. The Resonance has been ruthlessly colonized and exploited by corporate interests, to the point that its entire surface level was converted into the wireless Matrix. This is why the Matrix (and matrix connected devices) will happily keep working when when the power is out - matrix objects don't exist on physical hardware, but are controlled by it. There is no physical server that a Host exists on, it is analogous to a custom metaplane. Someone using hot-sim merges their essence with their matrix self and projects it in a very similar way to someone who is astrally projecting.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Do we have a source for that or is it just head canon?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Do we have a source for that or is it just head canon?

It's mostly in Kill Code, which was the big wrap up book for Hackers and Technomancers at the end of SR5's life cycle. In order to punch their way into the Resonance, the corps forcibly networked about a hundred technomancer minds together and used them to drill the original Resonance Wells and build the earliest Host Foundations. Now the Resonance is so close to the material world that new Wells open up on their own in suitable locations.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

My partner got me Blades in The Dark for Christmas (she absolutely nailed it) and if I were smart/creative enough I feel like it could be a great system for adapting Shadowrun. In particular, the way gear/loadouts work would be good for dealing with the huge equipment lists in Shadowrun. Does anyone know if someone tried something like this?

Edit: I should have just googled first. Looks pretty interesting: https://markcleveland.itch.io/runners-in-the-shadows

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 18, 2022

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

JerikTelorian posted:

My partner got me Blades in The Dark for Christmas (she absolutely nailed it) and if I were smart/creative enough I feel like it could be a great system for adapting Shadowrun. In particular, the way gear/loadouts work would be good for dealing with the huge equipment lists in Shadowrun. Does anyone know if someone tried something like this?

Edit: I should have just googled first. Looks pretty interesting: https://markcleveland.itch.io/runners-in-the-shadows

There have been several attempts at it; I know Karma in the Dark was another (though I don't think it was finished). Broader "cyberpunk Blades" has more candidates, such as Hack the Planet which I can't recommend at all. There was supposed to be a "first-party" cyberpunk Blades from Harper himself, but like nearly every stretch goal and campaign promise from Blades' Kickstarter, it failed to materialize.

Runners in the Shadows is the only complete, Shadowrun-focused one that I'm aware of existing. Haven't played it to give much of a review.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've tried my hand at making a Shadowrun FitD model, but it kinda comes apart in defining the 12 (or so) actions. You have to chop out huge parts of the setting or drop tons of walls that the Shadowrun core book sets up. I tried giving the arch-types tons of abilities, and allowing them to pull from other arch-types to make it more "classless", but you either end up with extremely powerful abilities that rely on talent ratings they'd never even invest in without the talent.

I think a better method is taking some things you like in BitD and putting them into SR. The loadout and flashback systems are great, but you still have the problem of people for a specific archtype reducing their contribution to a single roll, or having everyone stop play to play out the flashback.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Hey, are there any additional resources in SR4 for vehicle combat and the like?

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

I cannot get myself to make my character, even with chummer. Does anyone have any tips?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Going for something dumb and fun? preferred archtype?

Really, diving into decking or any kind of cyberware synergy is just asking for a bad time.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Strange Cares posted:

I cannot get myself to make my character, even with chummer. Does anyone have any tips?

Oni Katana Adept. Take code of honor and go maximum ronin stereotype.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Well I have a concept in mind, a face that’s a genetically engineered rockstar on the run from the Corp that made him. I think the issue I’m having is that I really hate optimizing and it seems like you have to do that in shadowrun to be effective at all.

It’s my first time playing and while I have a rough grasp of the rules I don’t know how they actually work at the table, so I feel like I’m setting myself up for a bad time if I don’t do it exactly right

I guess I’m looking for tips on how to approach even thinking about this, or maybe asking if there’s anywhere I can go to get a pregen and then just tweak it a bit?

Edit: dumb and fun, with as minimal a focus on combat as I can get away with

Strange Cares fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 19, 2022

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Strange Cares posted:

Well I have a concept in mind, a face that’s a genetically engineered rockstar on the run from the Corp that made him.

Dope.

Strange Cares posted:

I think the issue I’m having is that I really hate optimizing and it seems like you have to do that in shadowrun to be effective at all.

It’s my first time playing and while I have a rough grasp of the rules I don’t know how they actually work at the table, so I feel like I’m setting myself up for a bad time if I don’t do it exactly right

I guess I’m looking for tips on how to approach even thinking about this, or maybe asking if there’s anywhere I can go to get a pregen and then just tweak it a bit?

So the problem with Shadowrun (One of many many problems) is that the rules don't let you easily make a team of runners of similar power levels. There are two functional approaches: Say "gently caress it" and everyone runs something stupid, and you wind up playing the Avengers blowing holes in the sides of mountains, and that's fun. Even if you don't have excellent kill skills, if you have high dodge, magnetic limbs, and 37 dice in persuade, you can find SOMETHING to do in action sequences. The other approach is coordinating with your group, deciding how many dice a character should roll in their specialty, and going from there.

The real answer is discussing expectations with your GM and your playgroup, which isn't a fun answer but hey.

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Strange Cares posted:

Which edition are you playing?

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Zombie Squared posted:

Which edition are you playing?

We're playing Shadowrun 5e

Mystic Mongol posted:

The real answer is discussing expectations with your GM and your playgroup, which isn't a fun answer but hey.

This isn't really the issue I'm having? We've had this conversation and it's basically just "be competent at the thing you do and have a combat skill and a way to get away in case things go south." I'm not worried about levels of competence or group coordination, we're all on enough of the same page there. It's looking at this behemoth of a system and being unable to tell where to start or how to go about it.

E: I think I might just bail on this tbh

Strange Cares fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 19, 2022

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Strange Cares posted:

This isn't really the issue I'm having? We've had this conversation and it's basically just "be competent at the thing you do and have a combat skill and a way to get away in case things go south." I'm not worried about levels of competence or group coordination, we're all on enough of the same page there.

Ask your GM how many dice you should roll to be "competent" at the thing you do.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

Ask your GM how many dice you should roll to be "competent" at the thing you do.

Yes, this conversation has been had. About 12 dice. Again, not the issue I'm having.

Edit: thanks anyway everyone but I have now officially bailed. I’ve been staring at this system for a month and now and it’s not going to get any better

Strange Cares fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 19, 2022

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

Shadowrun Fifth Edition: I’ve been staring at this system for a month and now and it’s not going to get any better

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I tell people I love the system and then realize I have to refer them to books that have been out of print for well over a decade.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
The only problem Shadowrun has is that every edition has been bad, aside from that it's great. The best it's ever been is "eh, mostly workable except for these three major subsystems"

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Strange Cares posted:

Yes, this conversation has been had. About 12 dice. Again, not the issue I'm having.

Edit: thanks anyway everyone but I have now officially bailed. I’ve been staring at this system for a month and now and it’s not going to get any better

i feel that. been 'working' on a rigger for some friends SR thing and between 2022 being a gently caress and all the goddamn math and cross book checking and rechecking and then getting the gm to houserule because X rule related to drones is super poo poo or Y vehicle rule is named but not actually listed anywhere etc ect, theres always some other thing and its just not worth it

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Sailor Video Games posted:

Shadowrun: I’ve been staring at this system for a month and now and it’s not going to get any better

Ditch the edition, we've moved on to looking at every version of shadowrun and sadly shaking our heads.

How does one change a thread title? Or maybe it's time to just pack this up and make a genric Shadowrun thread, with the pros and cons for every edition. Anyone interested in helping with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

I cracked open my copy of Rigger 2 for old time's sake and got about two minutes into reading how the Electronic Warfare skill worked before wondering how any of us ever managed to actually play this game. I know I have but it seems like a fever dream.