Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

PittTheElder posted:

I agree that that's probably the intent, particularly if you start as a tribal, but honestly I feel like taking Haesteinn into Sicily is a way stronger start. Get set up in Palermo and Cagliari, raid around the med where all the best raid targets are, load up on VVs, conquer Normandy to pick up all the French innovations for free, then finish up with Isles.
I kinda split the difference on that; I took Sardinia so I'd have a nice profitable duchy with a goldsilver mine, and then backtracked to the Isles so I had raiding bases in both the Med and the North Sea. The Byz had a pretty strong hold on Sicily so it was actually one of my last conquests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

It cracks me up how horny this game is.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I do hate that all the murdering and horniness is apparently a big selling point of this game. As near as the historical record can tell us, it's such a rare thing to ever matter; I honestly think the game would be better off if the Intrigue lifestyle was straight up removed.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Is there a way to not have independence rebellions invariably on succession? It's like clockwork. I can't even get hooks up as a new ruler before they fire. Same with Dread, which starts at 0 even if I have artifacts, and has to tick up.

I can put them down without too much trouble, but it's ... a chore? What should I be doing to avoid this?

alcaras fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 20, 2022

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

PittTheElder posted:

I do hate that all the murdering and horniness is apparently a big selling point of this game. As near as the historical record can tell us, it's such a rare thing to ever matter; I honestly think the game would be better off if the Intrigue lifestyle was straight up removed.

I do think that this is one of those cases where historical accuracy was sacrificed in favor of "popular conception of history"

That, or just "look, we know our players, they're gonna be horny"

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

alcaras posted:

Is there a way to not have independence rebellions invariably on succession? It's like clockwork. I can't even get hooks up as a new ruler before they fire. Same with Dread, which starts at 0 even if I have artifacts, and has to tick up.

I can put them down without too much trouble, but it's ... a chore? What should I be doing to avoid this?

Here is a checklist of things you can try that worked for me. It is all about keeping the most powerful vassals on positive opinion so they won't join any factions.

1. Always keep an eye out for early betrothal/marriage for reasons other than eugenics. Selecting the kid of a relatively young but powerful vassal is a good way of ensuring a high probability of having an alliance right off the bat upon succession. This has several benefits. First you get an alliance with a powerful vassal with your current ruler. Second your ruler croaks, your heir already has a marriage set up meaning the chances for getting an alliance with that vassal (who is still alive) should be good.

2. Land your kids early and often. While a lot of folks here hate having their AI heirs do stupid poo poo, landing them when they are 16 lets them start building their lifestyle tree so that when they take over the throne, they already have skills in those trees. The AI actually does a decent job of picking traits that suppress factionalism. For example, military lifestyle AI usually will get the Overseer tree and have "Hard Rule" which increases the threshold needed to fire off a faction rebellion. The Administrator tree in Stewardship offers opinion bonuses to vassals and council members. It isn't a guarantee but having an heir come into power without any lifestyle xp is rough.

3. Save enough money when your current ruler is older so you can pass it off to your heir. You can use it to make a feast right away, hand out cash, or hire mercs.

4. Being able to fire a feast off immediately adds +20 opinion across the board which usually is enough to wipe out short reign penalties on the spot. You might also get the chance to 'make friends' which keeps them out of factions so if you get the chance to do so with a powerful vassal, it's usually a good idea to take it.

4. Ready to start handing out wads of cash. If you can't hand out cash, give them one of the many artifacts that is cluttering your inventory screen.

5. Immediately target a powerful vassal with the "Sway" scheme. Successful sways are +25 opinion per event and this bonus erodes very slowly. You can only do one scheme at a time but if it keeps one of your most powerful vassals out of the faction, then it's worth it.

6. Be prepared to lower crown authority. Autonomous vassals immediately give +10 opinion score to every vassal. You can always raise it back up once short reign malus has stabilized.

7. Before handing powerful vassals a council job, make sure that the 50 point swing is actually going to make a difference. That -75 opinion guy is probably a lost cause. You should give that guy absolutely nothing and spread the money and positions out to vassals where you can pump their opinion, in the short term, to 65 or higher. One rear end in a top hat alone can't cause trouble, but you need to build a big enough vassal team so that they can never fire off the rebellion event.

8. In a pinch, if there are a lot of vassals who have positive on the ledger but are still in a faction that has the potential to rebel, consider adding them to the court position payroll for an additional +10 opinon to get them over the 80+ opinion hump. You can also score 10-15 opinion points by renegotiating feudal terms to lower their taxes and also surrender certain rights such as revocation.

9. Finally keep up good relations with your vassals when your ruler is entering the danger zone. Your heir inherits 20% of your current ruler's positive opinion and 50% of your ruler's negative opinion. Having an extra 10-15 opinion points for your heir might be what tips those vassals from rebelling no matter how hard you try or keeping them out of factions entirely so troublemakers can never round up enough levy strength to fire off the event.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I do think that this is one of those cases where historical accuracy was sacrificed in favor of "popular conception of history"

Yeah I agree with that. To use a crappy analogy there's lots of Game of Thrones stuff going on, because that's what people think history times were like, despite, you know, GRRM being completely full of poo poo and basing his societies on played out caricatures.

Maybe I'm the weird one for thinking actual history is more interesting than historical fiction and/or meme history.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

You can have a fashion (stewardship) challenge and whoever loses is stripped naked :lmao:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i would say the sacrifice comes more from a place of leaning into the roleplaying elements than like, going off of a popular conception of history?
sure a good chunk of players probably want to play tricky tricksters because they watched game of thrones, but i feel like even if that series was never popular a lot of people would like to do that anyway just because its a character type people would like to rp as in this game.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

PittTheElder posted:

Maybe I'm the weird one for thinking actual history is more interesting than historical fiction and/or meme history.

No, not at all.

My biggest wish is that they include more of the world while keeping it balanced for the game.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ah gently caress, you know what, this sucks. How do I get allied armies to not constantly follow me, they're destroying themselves and I by draining supplies everywhere.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
If I can’t cuckold all my vassals and all the other kings and some randos and eventually have to marry all my kids off to folks from other continents because everyone becomes secretly related to them at some point is there even a point in playing?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

PittTheElder posted:

It's historical drama. People love the werewolves and poo poo too because it's better storytelling than debates over town charters

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

:discourse:

Edit: Oh wait I thought this was a brilliant troll but you're serious.

Can't like 75% of human history be explained as horniness gone awry?

GoodluckJonathan fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 20, 2022

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
This focus on cultures is just reminding me of how there are barely any clothes in the game, everyone from like, the seljuks to the han chinese are all just dressed in mongolian clothes and it's sorta super jarring...

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Buschmaki posted:

This focus on cultures is just reminding me of how there are barely any clothes in the game, everyone from like, the seljuks to the han chinese are all just dressed in mongolian clothes and it's sorta super jarring...

It'll probably be sold as a silk road flavour pack. After movie night and fitness flavour packs of course.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Buschmaki posted:

Yeah, there's mods in the workshop that and I find them pretty much mandatory

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Ugh I want my current guy to die already. My heir has better traits and my current guy is craven and shy, which makes a bunch of things hard to do without overloading on stress.

At least I managed to get out of faction hell by putting one down and revoking titles to give to my kids.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Overload on stress and die

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

MikeC posted:

Here is a checklist of things you can try that worked for me. It is all about keeping the most powerful vassals on positive opinion so they won't join any factions.

:insightful post:

Thank you!

I do most of those things, but now that I’m a multicultural empire spanning half of Europe, they don’t work or there are just too many vassals. In real time terms it’s just faster to put down the inevitable rebellion, I just wish I didn’t have to.

Not sure how to mitigate inheritance rebellions for giant realms.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Omnicarus posted:

Overload on stress and die

I got my wish and he died like a year later anyway, but I have to remember the stress trick.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Buschmaki posted:

I wouldn't mind a few more hats, either. Maybe some helmets? There's like one Norse helmet, since the chainmail one doesn't actually put one on you.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
You can give away artifacts and then start a war over getting the artifact back. Right. Who wants my Sponge on a Stick?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
The official forums are really bad aren't they?

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/gameplay-reccomendation-transition-character-decision.1512269/

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
So are all you people saying "just get your powerful vassals to like you and you'll be fine, ez" playing a different game/patch than me?!

I just had a really fun game (united all the Iberian peninsula and conquered Aquitaine, pushing for the Avenge Tours decision and was 1 county shy) when my emperor died. Next guy up, decent, not great, no red flags in terms of bad traits or stats, but just okay. But ah, this time I'm READY! When the first faction springs up I spend literally a thousand gold giving gifts to everyone who was contributing more than 10% military strength to the "install some loving jackass cousin of mine who has never led so much as a county and who is an adulterous kinslaying drunkard" faction and got their opinions of me up to +100. Also slammed a feast immediately for that sweet sweet bonus.

Doesn't matter. None of them leave the faction in the 9 months it takes to fire an ultimatum. Not a single one. So of course when the rebellion happens it has waaaay more military strength than I do, and I promptly enter the "oh, you just lost a war and are now only a king instead of an emperor? Time to do another install claimant war!" loop when I get beaten and drop down a tier. Fast forward a year, I'm broke foolishly trying to pay off all my old vassals, another claimant faction rebellion I can't stop or fight, another guaranteed loss. Fast forward another year, you guessed it, another claimant war unavoidably lost, and now I'm a lovely county in Majorca with over a thousand gold in debt, no chance of paying anything off in the lifetime of me, my kid, or grandkids, and the game is effectively over as I watch helplessly as Emperor Brainless ruins everything.

I literally don't understand why people keep saying vassals with high opinion will leave factions if they like you, because I have *never* seen that happen. And they form factions immediately on death of the old guy, so I have no time to try to frantically bribe them before the death star factions form. What are you all doing that I'm not!?

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 20, 2022

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

So are all you people saying "just get your powerful vassals to like you and you'll be fine, ez" playing a different game/patch than me?!

I just had a really fun game (united all the Iberian peninsula and conquered Aquitaine, pushing for the Avenge Tours decision and was 1 county shy) when my emperor died. Next guy up, decent, not great, no red flags in terms of bad traits or stats, but just okay. But ah, this time I'm READY! When the first faction springs up I spend literally a thousand gold giving gifts to everyone who was contributing more than 10% military strength to the "install some loving jackass cousin of mine who has never led so much as a county and who is an adulterous kinslaying drunkard" faction and got their opinions of me up to +100. Also slammed a feast immediately for that sweet sweet bonus.

Doesn't matter. None of them leave the faction in the 9 months it takes to fire an ultimatum. Not a single one. So of course when the rebellion happens it has waaaay more military strength than I do, and I promptly enter the "oh, you just lost a war and are now only a king instead of an emperor? Time to do another install claimant war!" loop when I get beaten and drop down a tier. Fast forward a year, I'm broke foolishly trying to pay off all my old vassals, another claimant faction rebellion I can't stop or fight, another guaranteed loss. Fast forward another year, you guessed it, another claimant war unavoidably lost, and now I'm a lovely county in Majorca with over a thousand gold in debt, no chance of paying anything off in the lifetime of me, my kid, or grandkids, and the game is effectively over as I watch helplessly as Emperor Brainless ruins everything.

I literally don't understand why people keep saying vassals with high opinion will leave factions if they like you, because I have *never* seen that happen. And they form factions immediately on death of the old guy, so I have no time to try to frantically bribe them before the death star factions form. What are you all doing that I'm not!?
LOL just blackmail your vassals until they are your bitches. They shouldn't be your vassal unless you put them in place or they inherited a pretty lovely vassal contract. A duke should have on county max and like 3 vassals of its own family, all with claims on his title too. Crush your vassals and blackmail them until moral improve. Alternative answer: just have sex with them. It also provide blackmail material if they are the same gender as you.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 20, 2022

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think the breakpoint for not joining factions is 80, and vassals cant join a faction against you if you're in an alliance, which makes characters that practice polygamy (or even concubinage just for the extra kids) absurdly stable.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Mukaikubo posted:

Maybe you just overexpanded without enough of a power base behind it? Maybe you aren't being smart enough with your marriages to force powerful vassals into alliances? I don't know. Giant empires on the scale you describe regularly break up in that time period and last no more than one or two generations. It is naturally more difficult the larger your realm is. Similar to the other guy who had a Europe-spanning empire. The game tries to model this and does it reasonably well in my opinion. I am not sure what you are expecting. But I am pretty sure anything up to your first natural empire title is pretty easy to keep together without rebellions on succession as long as keep opinions high and marry your kids off properly to keep alliance ties within the realm strong.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

MikeC posted:

Maybe you just overexpanded without enough of a power base behind it? Maybe you aren't being smart enough with your marriages to force powerful vassals into alliances? I don't know. Giant empires on the scale you describe regularly break up in that time period and last no more than one or two generations. It is naturally more difficult the larger your realm is. Similar to the other guy who had a Europe-spanning empire. The game tries to model this and does it reasonably well in my opinion. I am not sure what you are expecting. But I am pretty sure anything up to your first natural empire title is pretty easy to keep together without rebellions on succession as long as keep opinions high and marry your kids off properly to keep alliance ties within the realm strong.

I hear what you're saying. My own complaint is a little more narrowly focused- I thought that vassals that loved me (+100 opinion) not just wouldn't *join* new factions, but would also *leave* factions that were gearing up to rebel. This doesn't seem to be the case, despite what I've seen here and elsewhere, and I'm a little grumpy that I just lost a fun game because I was following a plausible-but-incorrect strategy for avoiding the inevitable hellwars that follow succession. What you and the few folks above are pointing out are other ways to go about it that I'll try the next time I feel like flushing however many hours down the toilet with a new game. (I'm too much of an achievements addict to not play ironman, which... yeah. Makes everything worse. :shobon: )

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Also if you're facing down that level of opposition, just surrender. You can always turn around and form your own claimant faction 6 months later. There's no sense bankrupting yourself on a lost cause, especially when the game makes it so easy to undermine your liege.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Picked this up and am having fun with it. Joined four crusades and three of them were lost because the idiot Pope and his pals decided to march through Iraq and sail up the Red Sea only to get owned immediately upon landing. The fourth one was successful and I decided to see how things in Outremer pan out but that sure was a weird way to get started.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

DaysBefore posted:

Picked this up and am having fun with it. Joined four crusades and three of them were lost because the idiot Pope and his pals decided to march through Iraq and sail up the Red Sea only to get owned immediately upon landing. The fourth one was successful and I decided to see how things in Outremer pan out but that sure was a weird way to get started.

yeah i've seen this happening too. everyone's too scared to head towards syria or the levant so they end up pathing waaaaay east i guess. i miss ck2 crusades

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Is there a bug with the "Possible side effect" councilor events triggering? I can't recall getting any since the DLC came out, both positive or negative.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Fuligin posted:

yeah i've seen this happening too. everyone's too scared to head towards syria or the levant so they end up pathing waaaaay east i guess. i miss ck2 crusades

Mine mostly seem to have people land their boats in Jerusalem, but since no one lands at the same time, they all get greeted by a 20k army and wiped out immediately.

I’ve definitely had to learn the faction game. Had to put one down and then revoked titles to give out to my kids. The occasional marriage alliance helps too.

Slightly funny moment in my current game, the Holy Roman Empire has been reduced to one county, but the guy in charge is still called Emperor. I’m like third in line to inherit it and there’s an election going on. Very worth my time.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 20, 2022

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

Mine mostly seem to have people land their boats in Jerusalem, but since no one lands at the same time, they all get greeted by a 20k army and wiped out immediately.

If all the things they need to teach the AI about war, "land a few provinces away from your target to group up and wait out the landing penalty" may be the biggest. It's bizarre, because I feel like they already had this working in CK2.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

wukkar posted:

Is there a bug with the "Possible side effect" councilor events triggering? I can't recall getting any since the DLC came out, both positive or negative.

yes:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck-iii-missing-council-marshal-events-more.1510618/#post-28075618

somebody even wrote a fix on the forums you can apply yourself by editing a text file but for some reason it takes paradox weeks to roll that out

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I randomly inherited the HRE (or what was left of it anyway), awesome. Lots of nice stuff from their court including the throne of Charlemagne :getin:

Thanks to this I kept up my diplovassalizing spree and now own half of Europe including mega-Bohemia and various other kingdoms (lotharingia, Bavaria) all under the empire of Italia and hre. I am about to die at 88 and I guess it will be fun for my chosen heir to sort out the mess considering he's not going to inherit the HRE by the looks of it.

Also for the love of God if I get another world class inspired character making me a +0.1 prestige goblet I am so going to throw him/her in the dungeon

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Tatsuta Age posted:

yes:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck-iii-missing-council-marshal-events-more.1510618/#post-28075618

somebody even wrote a fix on the forums you can apply yourself by editing a text file but for some reason it takes paradox weeks to roll that out

It might be tied to the fact that CK 3 is on Xbox PC gamepass and now patches have to be pushed through Microsoft's end as well for verification. They may try to bundle fixes and feature updates all in one because of this. Age of Empires 4 has similar issues where blindingly obvious bugs are left unfixed for weeks on end before they are packaged as part of a patch and pushed through. Naturally, Microsoft isn't going to appreciate its customers being behind on patches. Nor are they in the business of slamming numerous patches through it seems.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

MikeC posted:

It might be tied to the fact that CK 3 is on Xbox PC gamepass and now patches have to be pushed through Microsoft's end as well for verification. They may try to bundle fixes and feature updates all in one because of this. Age of Empires 4 has similar issues where blindingly obvious bugs are left unfixed for weeks on end before they are packaged as part of a patch and pushed through. Naturally, Microsoft isn't going to appreciate its customers being behind on patches. Nor are they in the business of slamming numerous patches through it seems.

How are you supposed to fight crusades? I have enough troops, its just supply runs out and then I'm wiped out. I guess a broader way of putting this is what do I do about supplies? Splitting an empires army into 9 provinces gets annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

You run an army of Terminator MaA that's small enough to fit under the supply limit so you don't have to split them up, or you split them up (if you play up in the tribal north you have no other choice really).

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yeah the whole Crusade implementation of Pope Declares War, Everybody Wings It is not great. It's one of the reasons we so badly need a Roman Empire DLC; the whole First Crusade doesn't even make any sense without a hostile polity of some sort in Anatolia to disrupt the pilgrimage routes (and political chaos in the Levant, and a reformist Pope) which never happens even from the 1066 start.

I'd love to see a system where the Crusaders rendezvous at Constantinople and actually interact with the Emperor and fight across Anatolia before heading down the coast (and setup the full suite of Crusader States, rather than just Jerusalem).