Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'd argue Jaden was doing that too with a great deal of his fusions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Vandar posted:

I'd argue Jaden was doing that too with a great deal of his fusions.
Nah, he just lives in a world with an unlimited-size Fusion Deck and packs it full with all the niche cards he can find.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

girl dick energy posted:

Nah, he just lives in a world with an unlimited-size Fusion Deck and packs it full with all the niche cards he can find.

He absolutely did not find fusions for Rainbow Dragon and Yubel out there somewhere. Those two at the very least were 100% pulled out of thin air lol.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Vandar posted:

He absolutely did not find fusions for Rainbow Dragon and Yubel out there somewhere. Those two at the very least were 100% pulled out of thin air lol.
Isn't Yubel the one Kaiba launched into space? I'd definitely believe he had a custom fusion for that made like he clearly keeps doing for Blue-Eyes.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
It was always my headcanon that in dm and gx that fusion cards didn't physically exist, and that you just had to know that arbitrarily fusing certain cards would give you a theoretical monster.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

girl dick energy posted:

Isn't Yubel the one Kaiba launched into space? I'd definitely believe he had a custom fusion for that made like he clearly keeps doing for Blue-Eyes.

Yeah but we get to watch Pegasus physically make Rainbow dragon mid show so that one is definitely created magically. And given where they were and the whole plot being someone using the physical card Super Poly to fuse realities together I think they're just making poo poo out of thin air by that point in GX

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Julias posted:

It was always my headcanon that in dm and gx that fusion cards didn't physically exist, and that you just had to know that arbitrarily fusing certain cards would give you a theoretical monster.

That's more or less how it worked in Forbidden Memories anyway :v:

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Zore posted:

After GX the protagonists mostly start to get the ability to manifest completely new cards during a duel which takes it a hilarious level beyond.

The absolute best example of this will always be in Zexal when Yuma draws for his turn, shows the card to his opponent, THEN uses his Shining Draw ability to transform it into something else.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Why don't they just draw an existing card that would.. oh right they want to sell the new dumb thing the lazy writer used

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Charles Bukowski posted:

Why don't they just draw an existing card that would.. oh right they want to sell the new dumb thing the lazy writer used

Pot of Greed was banned by then, so they didn't have easy 'draw more' cards to write in.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
They should have kept using it just to gently caress with people.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Julias posted:

This is 100% how it works in dm

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

girl dick energy posted:

Kaiba had no hand in Yubel or launching Yubel into space. Kaiba launched cards made from Jaden's Neo-Spacian designs into space, Jaden was allowed to see the launch and snuck Yubel into the pack.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I have to say, I really like the Xyz Festival as an event once they fixed up the rewards, I think it bodes well for future events. The loaner decks have a decent level of power (although I've been using the Phantom Knights one, and drat, when that thing bricks it BRICKS), the focused banlist stops things getting too powerful, and it's not gonna last too long and wear out its welcome. Plus, the focus lets decks that would otherwise be too weirdly rogue to see play get a chance to show what they've got; I'm thinking of putting together a Chronomaly deck, just because they seem really interesting in gameplay and have a concept exactly dorky enough for me to get into.

I feel like a second go-around of an Xyz event would probably warrant restraining some of the real power archetypes that've shown themselves this time (Numeron definitely needs some limits put on it), but overall, this is a promising kickoff.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The loaner decks are complete rear end that can be outplayed by gently caress, I dunno, Outstanding Dog Marron and you get punished heavily in the rewards department for using them because they want you to spend a truckload of gems on niche decks with banlists they don't preannounce

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Do we know which event is next from datamining? I hope it's not Synchros.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Neo_Crimson posted:

Do we know which event is next from datamining? I hope it's not Synchros.
If we are going from top to bottom in the leak image: Xyz, Synchro, Fusion, Beginner Classic, and Rarity Limit.

So Synchro would be next.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Nyaa posted:

If we are going from top to bottom in the leak image: Xyz, Synchro, Fusion, Beginner Classic, and Rarity Limit.

Sweet, I can use my janky penguin deck for that one.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Nyaa posted:

Good thing ng I've been playing Windwtiches this whole time.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Nyaa posted:

Do we have any idea on what Beginner Classic is even gonna be? Are we gonna go back to Summoned Skull being top-tier again for a week?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Nyaa posted:

We don't know if Synchro is actually going to be next.

There's two events for each Festival: Exhibition and Tournament. We're in the Exhibition part of the Xyz Festival right now, so it's likely they'll do the Tournament part next.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

Do we have any idea on what Beginner Classic is even gonna be? Are we gonna go back to Summoned Skull being top-tier again for a week?
My guess would be GOAT format, or the Japanese equivalent.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Goats teledad format right?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Vandar posted:

We don't know if Synchro is actually going to be next.

There's two events for each Festival: Exhibition and Tournament. We're in the Exhibition part of the Xyz Festival right now, so it's likely they'll do the Tournament part next.
You are right, which reminded me to check the scoring rule:
Win +200
Draw +100
Lose -100

Time to make a suicide-draw deck. :nsallears:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

Nah, goat control is like, 2006? 2004? When Metamorphosis was legal.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Goat is 2005 pre-Cyber Dragon. TeleDAD is 09 or 10

What are the waifu deck archetypes besides Dragonmaids? Asking for a friend

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Aromas, Lunalights, Melodious, Trickstars, Marincess, Exorsisters, Magician Girls, Fortune Ladies, Rikkas, Cyber Angels, Sky Strikers, Live Twins/Evil Twins, Witchcrafts, Valkyries...

I'm probably forgetting a bunch.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Huh, had no clue teledad was so recent! 2005 is def before i cared at all about like, meta stuff. Is it early enough that people were just playing gemini elf beats feat every boardwipe in existence or had they printed anything fun yet

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nyaa posted:

You are right, which reminded me to check the scoring rule:
Win +200
Draw +100
Lose -100

Time to make a suicide-draw deck. :nsallears:
UNBAN SELF-DESTRUCT BUTTON.

Huh, had no clue teledad was so recent! 2005 is def before i cared at all about like, meta stuff. Is it early enough that people were just playing gemini elf beats feat every boardwipe in existence or had they printed anything fun yet
See for yourself.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Goat is kind of awful as a format. It was solved a long time ago and there's not really any room for innovation or anything original in it anymore.

Now Edison. Edison is a vintage format that's great.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Vandar posted:

Goat is kind of awful as a format. It was solved a long time ago and there's not really any room for innovation or anything original in it anymore.

Now Edison. Edison is a vintage format that's great.

You say that, but a lot.of work has been done on goat format the last couple of years, and people have figured out that the namesake deck of the format, cookie cutter goodstuff with goats and metamorphosis, isn't even one of the best decks of the format anymore

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

It's late enough that Chaos decks and Monarch decks are strong, but early enough that every deck still loses to Pot of Greed, Graceful Charity, and Delinquent Duo.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Julias posted:

You say that, but a lot.of work has been done on goat format the last couple of years, and people have figured out that the namesake deck of the format, cookie cutter goodstuff with goats and metamorphosis, isn't even one of the best decks of the format anymore
Yeah turns out the FTK deck is the best if you aren't playing witb real life timing rules.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Nyaa posted:

How would Rarity Limit even work? Even just cutting out UR means everyone loses vital staples like Ash, but when I imagine a 'rarity limited' format, that makes me think something like 'only commons and rares' at which point so many decks would get absolutely gutted.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

serefin99 posted:

How would Rarity Limit even work? Even just cutting out UR means everyone loses vital staples like Ash, but when I imagine a 'rarity limited' format, that makes me think something like 'only commons and rares' at which point so many decks would get absolutely gutted.

I mean, that's the point of pauper style events, you get rid of all the expensive cards that decks rely on and figure out what's left.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

serefin99 posted:

How would Rarity Limit even work? Even just cutting out UR means everyone loses vital staples like Ash
I imagine it’s something like you can only have 3 UR, and 5 SR in the deck, so you have to make it count.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nyaa posted:

I imagine it’s something like you can only have 3 UR, and 5 SR in the deck, so you have to make it count.
Megaliths time. :getin:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nyaa posted:

I really do think it's gonna be "All SRs and URs are banned."

E:

girl dick energy posted:

Megaliths time. :getin:

I'm a little worried about how good that deck is gonna be without Aratron, Diviner, or Gallant Granite.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

It's late enough that Chaos decks and Monarch decks are strong, but early enough that every deck still loses to Pot of Greed, Graceful Charity, and Delinquent Duo.

It doesnt have a ban-list? I kind of thought theyd have gotten rid of the more broken bullshit you could do

That being said, i loved delinquent duo as a kid im glad those goofballs have a home now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
As someone who hasn't played Yugioh since basically Stardust Dragon is there some archive or cool rule of thumb for fun decks to play? I built an Infinitrack Trains deck (hell yeah brother) and it rules, then build a Shaddoll Invoked Dogmatika deck to ladder with because I got some Dogmatika stuff while pulling. Currently eyeing Mekk-Knights as their Link gimmick seems fun and I've got I:P and Crusadia Avramaxx but there seems to be SO many fun and interesting archetypes with little to no indicator to how viable they are.

Someone linked a video earlier in the thread about Super Quantums or whichever archetype that led me to that excellent Youtube channel but it seems to be more historical than meta.