Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

I can see Billy West not asking for enough money. He’s like one of the top 10 most beloved and sought after voice actors in America and his website is like a 1996 Angelfire website designed by high school kids

I don't know. He did walk away from Doug for a similar reason. Disney ended up spending more money recasting both Doug and Roger than they would have if they just paid what Billy was asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’d love for Watterson to make a comeback or just go hog wild with an internet strip where he isn’t limited. That said the limits were very much what made him breaking them exceptional so who knows.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Don’t wish the internet on anyone.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Macaluso posted:

It's really lovely the articles that are coming out about this that are wording their headlines in a way that make it sound like he's being greedy. It's also wild to me how many people I see that are NOT on his side.

I'm not surprised, but I am disgusted and disappointed. Like, it's a pretty common thing in a America for news articles to take the side of huge corporations whenever any worker is asking for more composition for their labor in basically any situation, but I hate seeing it every time.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is Watterson still basically a hermit?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
There's still about 12 hours to submit your nominations for this years Top 10 Poll. Apologies, I won't be PM'ing any previous years participants, but hopefully it's been up long enough that people have noticed it.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Bussamove posted:

… Didn’t they have this exact problem of extreme under balling on pay last time the show was revived?

Severely reduced pay all round!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/jadomian/status/1491796121433169923?s=21

https://twitter.com/tarastrong/status/1491780280041889795?s=21

https://twitter.com/hamillhimself/status/1491895301321359371?s=21

https://twitter.com/thebillywest/status/1493286153222455297?s=21

https://twitter.com/charlie_adler/status/1492228987031986179?s=21

https://twitter.com/jhaletweets/status/1491616158415347715?s=21

It really warms my heart to see so many of my heroes standing up for each other in an industry that feels so self-serving and soulless.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
JFC Disenchantment's writers need to learn how to end a joke properly. I swear that half the jokes just meander on for like twice as long as they reasonably should.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

:3: This is a delight. John DiMaggio deserves respect and it's good to see him getting it.

But even John DiMaggio can't save Disenchantment from being a forgetable mess, yeesh, they're really wasting his and everybody else's talent over there.

readingatwork posted:

JFC Disenchantment's writers need to learn how to end a joke properly. I swear that half the jokes just meander on for like twice as long as they reasonably should.

I watched the fourth season because I wanted something on in the background while I completed my Pokedex in legends (The in game music can only get you so far), didn't laugh once.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

But even John DiMaggio can't save Disenchantment from being a forgetable mess, yeesh, they're really wasting his and everybody else's talent over there.

I love how they made Disenchantment right before Game of Thrones self-destructed and nobody cares about it anymore. Like sure its not just parodying Game of Thrones, but I think that was a large part of the plan about what the show was supposed to be.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

After watching all of golden age Simpsons and all of Futurama I tried watching Disenchantment, thinking that I was in the right headspace to enjoy even a lesser Groening production. But man, it was so boring

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

While Game of Thrones was successful, I was under the impression that it would lead to a bunch of other fantasy projects popping up in the industry. it sure seemed like something like that was going to happen, and I think Disenchanted had the same impression going in. But either that was just a wrong impression, or Game of Thrones had such a bad ending that it not only imploded, but it sucked in the other projects it inspired.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

SlothfulCobra posted:

While Game of Thrones was successful, I was under the impression that it would lead to a bunch of other fantasy projects popping up in the industry. it sure seemed like something like that was going to happen, and I think Disenchanted had the same impression going in. But either that was just a wrong impression, or Game of Thrones had such a bad ending that it not only imploded, but it sucked in the other projects it inspired.

Game of Thrones loving crashed and burned like nothing that's been seen before. It's incredible it went from a money printing machine to having all its planned spin-offs and prequels completely cancelled because the final season was so poorly received in every possible way

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SlothfulCobra posted:

Game of Thrones led directly to Marco Polo and LOTR and Witcher and Wheel of Time and that (now aborted) Zelda series getting greenlighted, not to mention all these "we animated someone's D&D session" shows like that Vox Machinima thing.

Now these shows have encountered their own production difficulties and been delayed themselves or they've already come and gone, and surely the crashing and burning of GoT hasn't helped, but it has had a big effect.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Game of Thrones loving crashed and burned like nothing that's been seen before. It's incredible it went from a money printing machine to having all its planned spin-offs and prequels completely cancelled because the final season was so poorly received in every possible way

The prequel series is still an ongoing thing and they just announced they finished filming the first season.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

SimonChris posted:

He also did an actual Calvin and Hobbes crossover sequel recently, apparently with Watterson's approval.

The background here is that a character in a face-concealing mask and suit had been hanging around for a while during the Covid storyline, and everyone assumed it was Bill the Cat:

I have not felt this delighted in a very, very long time.

Thank you for posting this.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Calaveron posted:

Don’t worry we have a prequel still coming this year, plus Wheel of Time, Lord of the Rings, Witcher, and a half dozen fantasy projects in various stages of development (like The Fifth Season) all because of how much money Game of Thrones printed when it was still good. It probably also helped get Dune off the ground.

Not sure if any of those will be good but they’ll at least keep vfx studios busy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

readingatwork posted:

thats kinda any of groanings projects now. they just kinda just keep going and going and going.

Ccs posted:

Don’t worry we have a prequel still coming this year, plus Wheel of Time, Lord of the Rings, Witcher, and a half dozen fantasy projects in various stages of development (like The Fifth Season) all because of how much money Game of Thrones printed when it was still good. It probably also helped get Dune off the ground.

Not sure if any of those will be good but they’ll at least keep vfx studios busy.

well wheel of time is apparently good. Witcher has some ok moments and good casting despite the loving awful costumes and monster effects. need to still see dune. I want to be hopeful for the prequel because i enjoyed the book its gonna be based on.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
Finished Final Space. I don’t think it was a waste to watch, but I also think season 2 was the strongest season and that season 3 didn’t do much to make the titular Final Space feel different from normal space. I overall enjoyed it well enough, but I’m not clamoring for a fourth season or anything.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Youtuber Saberspark discusses that show Fairview, the one with the weird Facebook avatar looking characters that have no legs, and it sounds to be about as garbage as we were thinking. Literally. Apparently they recorded over Zoom, without any sort of actual software to mix it properly so the audio is literally from the zoom call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLJ8WTmsVMQ

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/thecartooncrave/status/1498783028407148551

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It was absolutely a non-starter without him, good for him! Hopefully Katie and Billy and Phil all got more money too!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Called it!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Return of the king! Hope they gave the whole cast a pay bump.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Neat! 📸

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

They must have added a one and two zeroes to the previous offer.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

sebzilla posted:

They must have added a one and two zeroes to the previous offer.

Now he's getting paid 100 dollars!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/RealGamerduck/status/1498946601707925504

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

https://twitter.com/MattyPrower/status/1499079573216112644?t=RUPGuyIKSXeuFL0VLL4yww&s=19

(this was also how I knew about the Big Mouth spinoff coming out)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s like scraping a cheese grater across the surface of my eyes. Is this how grandparents feel when they look at anime?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Character designs that are less than atheistically pleasing aside, and regardless of what you think of the rest of the show story wise, the animation on Big Mouth is of good quality. So you can produce good looking cartoons while not working your staff to death and more animation studios should start treating their staff with basic humanity and also pay them for their labor.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Personally, I think the people behind Big Mouth should suffer a little.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Big Mouth's design looks good in motion, especially the monsters, and Human Resources is presumably going to expand beyond teenage hormones as well, so it should be a fun watch.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I like Kelly Turnbull but Big Mouth is just hideous. Those character designs are just so awful, and I do not agree that it looks good in motion.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean my first exposure to those drawings was the commercials and the auto play ads that would run after episodes of Bojack, watching them in motion actually highlights SPECIFICALLY what I do not like about the designs.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

I mean, I never watched the show and glad Kelly is getting work, but regardless of ethically sourced animation it's still gross looking

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ah well, more for me

(it's a good show)

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Fair enough, I didn't give Home Movies a chance when it first came out for the same reasons, I just don't have Netflix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Tiberius Christ posted:

Fair enough, I didn't give Home Movies a chance when it first came out for the same reasons, I just don't have Netflix

The first season is very poor quality compared to the rest. It watches like a draft for the show then suddenly they shift into a much higher gear. Season 1 is still fine, but it does watch a bit rough and if the quality didn't improve it wouldn't be memorable.