Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Beyond was written by a massive Trek-loving nerd. It had a few issues with the villain and twist and the pacing of that reveal but to be honest that was probably in part because it was so rushed they didn't have time to refine.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if just liking trek was enough then every fanfic would be a masterpiece. instead, only the fanfic about kirk and spock's ambulatory penises which was performed live at a con is a masterpiece.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

MikeJF posted:

Beyond was written by a massive Trek-loving nerd. It had a few issues with the villain and twist and the pacing of that reveal but to be honest that was probably in part because it was so rushed they didn't have time to refine.

Simon Pegg ran out of ideas two minutes after finishing hot Fuzz. He "wrote" another WOK rip off.

More time on the script wasn't going to do poo poo if that was his starting point.

Unless you're talking about Jung?

hekaton
Jan 5, 2022

sure wish i could understand what the hell was going on with my life
so i could be properly upset when things happen

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
people didn't like the 2009 star trek movie? i thought it was fun. at least the me from 13 years ago did hmmm.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's fine if you watch it idly and don't think about any aspect.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Trek 2009 made Trek sort of mainstream fun and accessible again for all of a year. I've been thinking the best part of the three nuTrek movies are the opening acts and with Into Darkness I wished that somehow the entire film could have been built more around that opening act and stretched out into an entire movie.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Lazy_Liberal posted:

people didn't like the 2009 star trek movie? i thought it was fun. at least the me from 13 years ago did hmmm.

Was an alright movie I guess, but didn't hit the Trek spots for me. Plus I didn't care for rebooting Kirk and Spock and crew. If anything I am thankful they exist because Quinto Spock sucks and makes Disco Spock all the better. Will forever be alarmed at how much I like Disco Spock.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Lazy_Liberal posted:

People liked it, the 2009 movie resurrected the dead franchise against all odds. What else should it have possibly done?

And that's why some goons and many trekkies hate it; its popular with the general population, so it has to be oversimplified/stupid/not *my* Star Trek/all hat no cattle/SFX-showcase/...

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I don't know how the J.Michael Straczynski Trek reboot idea that was apparently being suggested around 2004 would have turned out as an alternative. From what I remember of the pitch, I get the feeling it MIGHT have veering a bit into some mystery box BS but given that I was a big fan of B5 in the 90s, it's possible with a budget and creative control (and MAYBE some benefit of the doubt from Trek fans when it came to a reimagining) it might have been successful.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Get Will Weaton to make a Trek, he's a huge Trek nerd.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Post/username ccccombo!

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Just put all the poo poo away, make a paramount plus movie following the last actually canonical Star Trek show, Deep Space Nine and make an actually great movie about how scary and intelligent Romulans are without the Cardassians and Klingons in a large-scale political thriller interrupted by the still actually scary Borg since Voyager and First Contact never happened and they’re going to have to put aside their differences and learn to work together to save their people.

Successful partially thanks to a new returned and much more powerful Ben Sisko who gets to punch Q again and also thanks to the intelligence and bravery of the all new awesome crew of the newly minted non-Sovereign class Enterprise E, this launches a brand new five year mission to explore strange new worlds seek out new life and new civilisations to boldly go where no one has gone before, tackling new modern issues in that inimitable Star Trek way and bringing the world together to imagine again a bright future without money or disease, just some friends who work hard to to help folks out who need it because that’s just who they are

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Throw in some swarms of drones and giant CGI space monsters, and I'll call Alex to get started on an outline for the season long story arc.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Wondering when we'll move on from various Mass Effect retreads.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

External Organs posted:

Wondering when we'll move on from various Mass Effect retreads.

Star Trek: Andromeda

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Cthulu Carl posted:

Star Trek: Andromeda

i have a bad feeling about SNW all of a sudden

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

chaosbreather posted:

Just put all the poo poo away, make a paramount plus movie following the last actually canonical Star Trek show, Deep Space Nine and make an actually great movie about how scary and intelligent Romulans are without the Cardassians and Klingons in a large-scale political thriller interrupted by the still actually scary Borg since Voyager and First Contact never happened and they’re going to have to put aside their differences and learn to work together to save their people.

Successful partially thanks to a new returned and much more powerful Ben Sisko who gets to punch Q again and also thanks to the intelligence and bravery of the all new awesome crew of the newly minted non-Sovereign class Enterprise E, this launches a brand new five year mission to explore strange new worlds seek out new life and new civilisations to boldly go where no one has gone before, tackling new modern issues in that inimitable Star Trek way and bringing the world together to imagine again a bright future without money or disease, just some friends who work hard to to help folks out who need it because that’s just who they are

Gowron is still alive and is head of the Klingon High Council with no explanation.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

punishedkissinger posted:

i have a bad feeling about SNW all of a sudden

All of a sudden? Did you just look up SNW's IMDB writing credits?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Lazy_Liberal posted:

The only good thing about it is the cast. Every single other thing about it sucks assssss. I hate it, it’s poo poo.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“Hi, Christopher” was good

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Star Trek 09 was a fun stupid action movie but after Into Darkness blasted bloody diarrhea in everyone’s mouths 09 caught some collateral damage on the “jj trek was always total rear end”

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

One of those JJ things was on in the background once and I saw Spock order Kirk loaded into a torpedo tube and fired onto a planet and I remember thinking "this looks dumb". Which one was that?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Prurient Squid posted:

One of those JJ things was on in the background once and I saw Spock order Kirk loaded into a torpedo tube and fired onto a planet and I remember thinking "this looks dumb". Which one was that?

that was 2009 and there were a lot of little space things around that entire segment that made no sense

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Prurient Squid posted:

That was an escape pod and he shot him at a starfleet outpost but missed I think? But yeah that was dumb.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

In Star Trek 2009's defence I had my first makeout session to the DVD menu looping in the background after we watched it

ah to be a young gay nerd again fun times

now I'm an oldish gay nerd

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

JJ trek are movies more about who's banging who and what everyone feels about that instead of anything else which is why I hate them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You gave your girlfriend radioactive jewelry?

You gave your girlfriend a tracking device?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CainFortea posted:

JJ trek are movies more about who's banging who and what everyone feels about that instead of anything else which is why I hate them.

There's lots to criticise but I don't really remember that being what they're about.

There's like one relationship.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Mulaney Power Move posted:

that was 2009 and there were a lot of little space things around that entire segment that made no sense

JJverse requires an overactive suppression of disbelief.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

remember how in Star Wars you could see the laser beam going from one planet to another from the surface of a third planet, none of which were anywhere near each other

that's that patented JJ Abrams Space Understanding

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The jj movies were comic book movies about star wars and once both of those things got big/came back there was no reason for the Star Trek reboots to exist anymore lol

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Dabir posted:

remember how in Star Wars you could see the laser beam going from one planet to another from the surface of a third planet, none of which were anywhere near each other

that's that patented JJ Abrams Space Understanding

Turbolazer fire has an arc trajectory similar to 17th century cannons.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Tighclops posted:

The jj movies were comic book movies about star wars and once both of those things got big/came back there was no reason for the Star Trek reboots to exist anymore lol

I would honestly believe that the Trek 09 was just JJ trying to show the Star Wars people that he could do a Star Wars movie.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

For some reason I just had a flashback to the Plinkett review of First Contact and Mike Stoklasa's intricated argument about how that one room that can only be reached by a jeffries tube and contains a portal to space covered by a forcefield has no purpose at all.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Hey, this is LaForge... why the gently caress did most of the Jefferies tubes just become exposed to hard vacuum...?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

chaosbreather posted:

This sounds ok but doesn’t have enough ninja flips or beloved side characters being eviscerated

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
DS9 continuation you say? I give you Star Trek: Rugal

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Michael Dorn has been shopping The Worf Adventures or whatever around for decades and I guess even Paramount+ doesn’t want it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Endless Trash posted:

Michael Dorn has been shopping The Worf Adventures or whatever around for decades and I guess even Paramount+ doesn’t want it

The real sticking point is probably casting the right person for the role of the series Big Bad, Ba'rel.