Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Pants Donkey posted:

Seems like people involved with cars beyond making them are evil or hosed up. Ford was a Nazi and stole credit for the things unions accomplished, you got Midgely, there’s of course the decades-long campaign to stifle alternate energy sources because profits > problems that won’t matter til you’re dead, and poo poo like the Pinto debacle.

DeLorean just wanted to make people happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Broelman:

‘Act of intimidation’: Australia demands answers from Beijing over laser incident (The Age). "Australian diplomats and defence personnel have demanded answers from Beijing after a Chinese navy vessel aimed a military-grade laser at a RAAF aircraft which could have blinded the Australian crew."
Also Scott Morrison's latest in photo ops was him welding where he lifts up his visor just before he starts so he can see what he's doing.

Warren Brown:

Rowe:

Mike Cannon-Brookes lodges AGL takeover bid to ‘accelerate coal exit’ (SMH). "Tech billionaire Mike Cannon-Brookes has teamed up with international fund manager Brookfield to launch an audacious takeover bid for Australian energy giant AGL with the intention of setting stronger emissions-reduction targets and forcing the early closures of its remaining coal-fired power stations.". The crying man is energy minister Angus Taylor, Rowe draws him with his hand in a jam jar because the company Jam Land he part owns poisoned a bunch of grasslands.

Herbert:

That looks like Liberals Josh Frydenberg and Dave Sharma, who are facing independent challenges in their electorate this upcoming election.

Downes:

Scott Morrison is bouncing around Australia and is now in Tasmania announcing money for timber plantations.

Leak, Son of Leak:

This is the message that the government is trying to spin before the election and I guess this is meant to be look favourable to Morrison and Dutton.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I need someone to explain this Sunday's Sinfest.

Please?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Comstar posted:

I need someone to explain this Sunday's Sinfest.

Please?
Dude’s robot girlfriend is breaking down, so he takes it to the repair shop which fixes it by…giving it a vaccine? Robo-shot? See, vaccines are bad, is the thing.

This is supposed to be dystopian, but the problem is that, as a goddamn terf of all people, he should realize how loving stupid and self-defeating it is to portray men treating something that literally isn’t female as an object.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Although the Pinto wasn't too much worse that other small US cars from the time. They all put the gas tank behind the rear differential, which would rupture the tank whm hit hard enough from behind.
Part of the problem was the Pinto had some spectacular episodes, and Ford refused to put in a plastic shield to deflect the tank. The reason: cost of shield over millions of cars > paying out lawsuits. Each shield cost a couple of dollars.
They eventually installed them due to forced recalls. I drove one for several years. My main issue with it was it was mechanically unreliable, and had no AC in central Texas. Fun to drive, though.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MrUnderbridge posted:

Although the Pinto wasn't too much worse that other small US cars from the time. They all put the gas tank behind the rear differential, which would rupture the tank whm hit hard enough from behind.
Part of the problem was the Pinto had some spectacular episodes, and Ford refused to put in a plastic shield to deflect the tank. The reason: cost of shield over millions of cars > paying out lawsuits. Each shield cost a couple of dollars.
They eventually installed them due to forced recalls. I drove one for several years. My main issue with it was it was mechanically unreliable, and had no AC in central Texas. Fun to drive, though.

It's not just the location of the gas tank, which was common. The fuel filler neck was poorly attached so it would tear off the tank, plus the rear mounting brackets and bolts would penetrate the tank allowing a significant amount of fuel to pour onto the ground in a relatively minor collision, plus leave enough vapor in the tank to go all FAE on everyone. The shield for the brackets and bolts plus a reinforced fuel neck would have cost about ten bucks per car.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

Dude’s robot girlfriend is breaking down, so he takes it to the repair shop which fixes it by…giving it a vaccine? Robo-shot? See, vaccines are bad, is the thing.

This is supposed to be dystopian, but the problem is that, as a goddamn terf of all people, he should realize how loving stupid and self-defeating it is to portray men treating something that literally isn’t female as an object.
She gets the twitter verified checkmark after the vaccine, so I think the idea is the vaccine has turned her into a drone who believes/repeats the official narrative.

It's one of those Asay-style comics, where in order to understand why it's supposed to be bad and dystopian you have to already believe that the twitter checkmark is a symbol that you're controlled by the Jew media.

If you don't know that it's just a comic about a guy who takes his sick robot girlfriend to the robot doctor and a shot makes her better somehow

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 21, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Have the sinfests in question been posted for the usual roundup?

edit: 70% of the last year's thread is processed, I'm now also starting to format the nominations post. I have the holiday off tomorrow and will try to finish up then.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Discendo Vox posted:

Have the sinfests in question been posted for the usual roundup?

They're about to be! There's no set time I post, sorry about that, it's kind of just when I'm awake, thinking about it, and have time, because that's the way I live my life and do most things. Could be done at 1 AM, could be done at 8 PM, it's fun surprise every time!

Anyway....

:kstare:Sinfest Sunday:kstare:

....what? I know I say that basically every week, but seriously, what?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

I love that our big wet feminist has 360 noscope rake-stomped himself into accidentally writing a story about how the real problem with sexbots is that they're too woke on twitter these days from all the mind control vaccines

This is why creative people let projects die and move on from them, you need to shed old story baggage before your metaphors strangle each other to death

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Electric Ladyland

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

This one is just completely incomprehensible to me. I know that the devil kid is going to the evil woke school but I mean he's a devil so isn't that good? Wouldn't "corrupting" a devil be like, sending him to a Christian school or something?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Yeah, I feel like this a metaphor that has gotten out of hand and become literal. Women as allegorical objects but inadvertently objectifying all women, even outside the allegory.

But as it, I don't think I can interpret that as anything beyond 'I view and interact with women through the lens of validation and emotional support they give me, and I'm uncomfortable with the women I want to date challenging my beliefs on Covid in general and vaccination in particular' with a frankly unknowable amount of self-awareness and separation between the character and the author.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

This one is just completely incomprehensible to me. I know that the devil kid is going to the evil woke school but I mean he's a devil so isn't that good? Wouldn't "corrupting" a devil be like, sending him to a Christian school or something?

I think other than the Sunday strip all of those are mainly about character stuff for characters that haven't mattered in a long time. So there's probably some history that makes at least some of this make more sense.

Although "probably" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Listen i ain't a therapist, so im not able to explain sinfest to people

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
who dares to extract the QR code from that sinfest?

Dial911
Mar 18, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY LORD AND SAVIOR!!!

I don't know much about this Sinfest comic or guy, but seriously what the gently caress was that?? None of those made any fuckin sense at all, wtf is the narrative? Who are these people? What's going on?? I just.... wtf?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Dial911 posted:

I don't know much about this Sinfest comic or guy, but seriously what the gently caress was that?? None of those made any fuckin sense at all, wtf is the narrative? Who are these people? What's going on?? I just.... wtf?

I promise you that knowing more about Sinfest or Ishida does not help.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
All I can draw from it is that he doesn't seem to be able to distinguish a cure from a vaccine, which prevents illness in advance, not gets rid of it once you've been infected.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

i have to imagine this man's head is shaped like that on purpose to bait the cum edit people

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Isn’t Mallard Fillmore also a tv reporter? Do they not work for the same network?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Stultus Maximus posted:

DeLorean just wanted to make people happy.

Selling $55M worth of cocaine was gonna make a lot of people happy :unsmith:

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

But if you're the mainstream news (which, by definition, means you're the most popular and consumed form of news there is), then how can your ratings be lower than ever?

These two points cannot exist in the same world. Drunky Duck, please only argue for one or the other.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
My favorite thing about this thread are the hardworking posters who put up the political cartoons, and my second favorite thing is the bump in activity after sinfest is posted where you all try to make sense of it. It's like clockwork, it's the most activity this thread gets every week and sinfest is ALWAYS forgettably incomprehensible.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Anti-virus software, something a computerized device will never need. My metaphors are amazing!

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Clay Bennett

Steve Breen

Jeff Danziger

Matt Davies

Clay Jones

Steve Kelley

Jeff Stahler

Tom Stiglich

I know what I said.

Tony Branco

quote:

Jail Bail Fail Minnesota Freedom Fund allows criminals like rapists and murderers bail to continue victimizing society.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did Bennett ever actually draw things? It’s like he’s stuck in that period where every blu ray release had a minimalist cover, even when it was badly at odds with the movie.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

My immediate neighbor is a MAGAt and he's a giant self-important shitpile who makes living here noticeably worse and ruins what is otherwise a fairly nice place for me by his constant belligerence, so good choice there. Neighbors are an important factor in having a pleasant living experience. AGC.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

Did Bennett ever actually draw things? It’s like he’s stuck in that period where every blu ray release had a minimalist cover, even when it was badly at odds with the movie.

Bennett does appear to actually be drawing his cartoons, even if they are remarkably low effort compared with the past. As low effort as it sometimes is, it's not truly able to compare with Gorrell.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Discendo Vox posted:

Bennett does appear to actually be drawing his cartoons, even if they are remarkably low effort compared with the past. As low effort as it sometimes is, it's not truly able to compare with Gorrell.

Yeah, Bennett does draw his stuff, but 2016 broke something deep inside of him and he never really recovered, you can tell he's really been phoning it in.

Granted, his low effort is still fairly high compared to some of the other thread regulars we post here, but yeah, he's definitely a shadow of what he once was.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
Bail should be unpayable. I have very reasonable opinions about the justice system.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

These kids don't look disgusted or horrified, they just look a little sad or vaguely bored. I can only assume that he actually has high quality unlicensed Strong Bad merchandise under that trench coat.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cat Puke posted:

Bail should be unpayable. I have very reasonable opinions about the justice system.

Bail money is such a weird concept and as far as I can see it's just a tool to keep poor people locked up.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

the neighbors are black

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

moonmazed posted:

the neighbors are black

Stahler's at least a centrist; I think this is a "politics is divisive rn" comic, at worst.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Alhazred posted:

Bail money is such a weird concept and as far as I can see it's just a tool to keep poor people locked up.

DING DING DING We have a winner, folks!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Hey now, that's an unfair assessment. It's also a tool that the courts use to enrich themselves through the industry of bail bonds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

These kids don't look disgusted or horrified, they just look a little sad or vaguely bored. I can only assume that he actually has high quality unlicensed Strong Bad merchandise under that trench coat.

He must be an unlicensed unlicensed seller. Would explain the arrest.