Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bawfuls posted:

Pro tip: if you ever suffer an injury in the Canadian Rockies, consider getting all the way back to Calgary for hospital care instead of Banff.

We’re in a Calgary hospital now because the pain was building to intolerable levels. Doctors here say that Banff screwed up and put the wrong kind of cast on her leg, one that was unable to accommodate the significant and expected swelling (and not at all appropriate for flying). Thankfully they cut the cast off and she’s resting now but this complicates matters and we don’t know when we’ll be able to fly home now.

Had Banff put the appropriate cast on, we would be catching that direct flight in a couple hours.

What a bummer. Hopefully she get the right care and heals up. A trip getting blown up like this is the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Sorry to hear, Bawfuls. That sucks so much. I hope your wife feels better soon.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

Splinter posted:

The best ski movie is obviously G.N.A.R.: https://vimeo.com/18809446

I'm a snowboarder but this is amazing

asur
Dec 28, 2012

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

This will always eventually happen if you are actually getting your boots or bindings tight enough. I long ago gave up any kind of boa system. Laces for boots, ratcheting ladders for bindings. That way when one breaks you can replace it on the spot.

Unless you have a much better way to tighten laces this is way off in my experience. BoAs will eventually break from use, but it should be relatively rare unless you're really really ratcheting them down. If you ratchet them to the same level that you can tighten laces I'd be surprised if they ever broke.

Breaking after 10 days sounds like a manufacturing defect.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Pro tip: if you ever suffer an injury in the Canadian Rockies, consider getting all the way back to Calgary for hospital care instead of Banff.

We’re in a Calgary hospital now because the pain was building to intolerable levels. Doctors here say that Banff screwed up and put the wrong kind of cast on her leg, one that was unable to accommodate the significant and expected swelling (and not at all appropriate for flying). Thankfully they cut the cast off and she’s resting now but this complicates matters and we don’t know when we’ll be able to fly home now.

Had Banff put the appropriate cast on, we would be catching that direct flight in a couple hours.

This story reminds me a lot of a trip I took to Mexico for 8 days of surfing and partying in a beach house we rented and on the first day my brother took a bad spill and landed on his surfboard and cracked his rib and punctured his lung. It was deflating so we didn't have time to get to San Diego before he would die so he spent the rest of the time in a hospital down there and I was too worried to do anything else but hang out there.

The entire hospital bill was 185 dollars and would have been tens of thousands in the US though

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

bawfuls posted:

gently caress, this sucks, sorry all that happened. I hope I do not need this information in 2 weeks, and am feeling glad that I actually did purchase travel insurance for the first time ever.

How was the border crossing with all the covid restrictions and requirements? Any hassling over quarantine plans, etc?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That part was easy. We did the ap, showed agent the negative pcr test when we checked in, and otherwise arrival at YYC was normal. Thankfully we didn’t get randomly selected for another test. No questions about quarantine plan. I’m SD the Delta agent commented to his colleague that Canada is dropping testing restrictions for vaccinated travelers next month. No idea if that’s true but worth checking.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

bawfuls posted:

That part was easy. We did the ap, showed agent the negative pcr test when we checked in, and otherwise arrival at YYC was normal. Thankfully we didn’t get randomly selected for another test. No questions about quarantine plan. I’m SD the Delta agent commented to his colleague that Canada is dropping testing restrictions for vaccinated travelers next month. No idea if that’s true but worth checking.

You'll still need a test, but antigen will be fine, PCR no longer needed.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

bawfuls posted:

Vacations and skiing aside, I'm so sorry to hear about your wife's injury and I hope she heals up quickly.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Blowdryer posted:

I'm a snowboarder but this is amazing
I can't believe you're a pro, I'm so much better than you. (RIP McConkey)

J Skis are getting mounted today. 15" @ the Steamboat summit over the past 2 days. Another 8-12" expected next week. Skiing Tues-Sat. Forecast really took a turn for the best, a week or so ago they were only expecting a couple inches over these 2 weeks.

Really sorry to hear about all that bawfuls. Hope your wife has a speedy recovery, and may your next trip be blessed with endless fresh tracks.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

HookShot posted:

You'll still need a test, but antigen will be fine, PCR no longer needed.

Yeah, and it needs to be still administered by a lab or healthcare provider, not an at-home antigen test. Since I fly out there on March 1, I could do that, except it was a lot easier to find a same-day PCR test here than a lab-administered antigen test, so, PCR it is anyway I guess.

fortocero
Jul 23, 2007

I could feel his muscle tissues collapse under my force. It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm.
Bought a board for the first time after being on rentals til now - took it out a few times and had a minor edge ding. Noticed this caused a pretty small bump on my board - this looks pretty minor so I assume it's fine but being a new board owner I wanted to see if anyone more experienced has an opinion on if this should be repaired/maintained a certain way.

Quarter for scale lol - pretty small bump

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Hard to see the details in the first pic, it’s slightly out of focus. Is the edge separating at all from the other layers, base or sidewall? If so, that’s a weak spot which can turn into a major failure.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes, she’s much more comfortable now and we are looking forward to getting home tomorrow.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 19, 2022

fortocero
Jul 23, 2007

I could feel his muscle tissues collapse under my force. It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm.
As far as I can tell, there's minimal separation (maybe a tiny bit where theres less edge?).

Here's a photo of the damaged side

And a pic of the other side (undamaged edge) for comparison

Also wishing you and the wife the best and hope you guys get home safe.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

bawfuls posted:

Aaaaand this was the final triumph of the trip. I am currently sitting in the parking lot of Tim Hortons in Banff while my wife is in the hospital across the street with a tib fib fracture in her lower leg thanks to a fluky fall on the last run of today, which was to be ski day #1 of 9 on this trip. They won’t let me wait with her of course because Covid. This trip just wasn’t meant to be I guess, maybe some day the travel gods will allow us to return.

My message to the thread is: always get travel insurance.

Yeah I gotta say if you’re dropping some serious coin on a ski trip, travel insurance is really good. The company I work for has a really strict cancellation policy and I’ve seen lots of people eat tens of thousands of dollars because they didn’t do it. Life happens fast and if it’s that much money just, like, CYA

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
I met a nice couple from Crested Butte and there was apparently bad poo poo going on with their adaptive program which is why they were here as their daughter was a sit skier, but apparently their adaptive program raised $12m to build a new facility which is waaaaay more than they can do here and I thought our adaptive program was top notch.

Adaptive skiing is a good thing and you should support it if you are able to.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Headed to sugarbush with kiddo today, to try to actually ride greens with her for the first time instead of having her ski between my legs. Wish us luck. If the conditions seem even vaguely palatable

I may go back for the day tomorrow by myself.

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Good point, I just threw $35 at my local. I should look at volunteering for them.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

asur posted:

Unless you have a much better way to tighten laces this is way off in my experience. BoAs will eventually break from use, but it should be relatively rare unless you're really really ratcheting them down. If you ratchet them to the same level that you can tighten laces I'd be surprised if they ever broke.

Breaking after 10 days sounds like a manufacturing defect.

They should last more than a few days, so that's obviously a manufacturing defect, but boas definitely do not last as long as normal laces in my experience. I ride about 80-100 days a year and I need my boots loving TIGHT. Boas just can't handle it day after day. Some last longer than others but I've never seen one that lasts long as just normal rear end laces. Are laces a pain to tie tight? Hell yeah, I get permanent season-long welts on my pinkies from tightening my laces. Is it better than having a boa break in the parking lot and leaving you SOL? Also hell yeah. I carry an extra lace in my pocket.

But either way yes they should last way longer, I'd expect around 30-50 days? I've always had bad luck with em tho. If you can get a few free replacements to keep on hand from the manufacturer, that would be the best strategy.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Surely someday someone will develop a hard boot hybrid with buckles for snowboarding?

I’ve read and heard this same refrain from boarders for years about trying to get their boots tight enough.

I realize that hard boots and race boards already exist but there’s got to be a middle ground for high performance freeriding which could still use a hard shell boot with buckles, but more progressive flex?

Also the boa thing is so weird to me cause that wire is quite thin and it clearly breaks eventually. Why don’t they sell a beefier “high performance” version with a wire twice as thick? This industry is already pro at up-charging people on “premium/performance” things anyway.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 19, 2022

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bawfuls posted:

Surely someday someone will develop a hard boot hybrid with buckles for snowboarding?

I’ve read and heard this same refrain from boarders for years about trying to get their boots tight enough.

I realize that hard boots and race boards already exist but there’s got to be a middle ground for high performance freeriding which could still use a hard shell boot with buckles, but more progressive flex?

Also the boa thing is so weird to me cause that wire is quite thin and it clearly breaks eventually. Why don’t they sell a beefier “high performance” version with a wire twice as thick? This industry is already pro at up-charging people on “premium/performance” things anyway.

Phantom slipper or modding a ski boot works.

There is also this option although it still has boa, supposed to be VERY stiff. Deeluxe Ground Control

Deeluxe has a full buckle option as well Deeluxe Track geared towards euro carve boards but more snowboard than ski.

I like regular laces and never could get down with Boa. I have speedlace on my last 3 boots and while good, hard to get just right.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 19, 2022

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Some levity for the thread. Normally Reddit is pretty much a wasteland of garbage posts but sometimes you find gems like this:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Too funny. You hope they were joking but...seems unlikely.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Some levity for the thread. Normally Reddit is pretty much a wasteland of garbage posts but sometimes you find gems like this:

went to sub to find the post

this one is funnier

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/swcmkc/dad_acts_like_an_idiot_by_not_following_mandates/

Granted, I just got back from Sugarbush which has mask rules they :100: do not enforce, but, whatever, we wear N95s in packed lines around out of staters.

HELL of a time getting to 'Bush today -- some idiot in a van that would not really be equipped to make it up 17 on a good day, was trying to drive like 5mph in places where you really need to maintain 10-15mph to not just lose it. There was a red truck separating us, which both appeared to have good tires and a smart driver, and we got into this insane poo poo where van man was going out of control and went fully into the wrong lane AROUND A TURN, the red truck said gently caress it and did a super sketchy and illegal right-hand pass, and, having like .5 seconds to think about it, I floored it and did the same.

I like to be able to get up 17 in poo poo rear end ice weather, and there's a reason I spent $850 on a set of studded snow tires. Don't bring your 2WD all seasons here, people!!

I checked my rearview when things were normal enough, saw no sign of Van Man -- my guess is he bit it and got stranded in the bank there, I hope it all worked out okay, but for gently caress's sake you put everyone at risk when you do that poo poo and there was clear warnings for miles that stuff was getting worse. I was flashing the guy when we were near pull-off spots, no dice.

ANYWAY. Made it to sugarbush with our 5 year old, we did 2 runs down the short green from Village Quad, then got a waffle and warmed up, then took whichever fast quad goes to the base of Castleton (highest you can go and ride greens down), and then came down there. She was tired as gently caress and getting sloppy by the end, falling a lot more on our last run, but she did actual skiing with me, next to me, in front of me, and not between my legs, so that was a huge success!

I am taking tomorrow off, and then Monday I don't work and so I am gonna go see if I can use up the rest of my wax scraping ice off rocks on whatever is open at MRG...

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

lacing/fastening chat:

Ive had:

- Burton Speed zone laces: Good when you get both the upper and lower cords so you can fine tune tightness but the weak point of this setup is the locking cleats. the lace will get pulled through the teeth in the cleat and eventually it does wear a lace-shaped groove in them and they get exponentially worse over time. I had Burton replace mine out of warranty but I was buying a new board and bindings so the store was doing me a solid and passing them to their sales rep.

- Burton regular laces: probably the best in terms of ability to fine tune where they get tight but the boots themselves sucked. it is annoying if you need to adjust them on the hill but its absolutely the most reliable. not sure if other brands are like burtons but they are spongey and springy and when you tie them down tight they really lock. you'll never get them as tight as any other lacing system though.

- Boas: had these on some Ride Lasso boots and the boots were again not for me but the system was good. a little bit of silicon grease around the contact points can help them move a bit better. good for quick adjustments on the hill without taking your gloves off. if they blow out though, you're hosed. can go tight enough to cut off circulation. They also need to be bedded in each time you tension them as when you lean forward in the boot the cables relax a bit.

- Nitro TLS: I only got to put half a day on them last year because COVID but its visibly a better system than Speedzone because of the way the locking mechanism works with the laces. its not as intuitive as any of the other systems though and took me quite a few tries during my boot fitting to actually get the hang of it.

In terms of boot entry and exit, everything but regular laces is fast and easy as they have pull tabs on the lower laces to quickly loosen the instep area.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Laserface posted:

lacing/fastening chat:

- Nitro TLS: I only got to put half a day on them last year because COVID but its visibly a better system than Speedzone because of the way the locking mechanism works with the laces. its not as intuitive as any of the other systems though and took me quite a few tries during my boot fitting to actually get the hang of it.

The liner on these is incredibly comfortable and yeah the laces work well but they also tend to easily pop out of the cleat that holds them unless you put a spare strap or the elastic hem of your pants around it.

Also not very waterproof.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks for that detailed breakdown on the lace situation, I think that will be very helpful!

Google Photos just reminded me that I started skiing 5 years ago today! I have been skiing 133 times since then. That seems like a good amount!

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I tie my laces once or twice a season max. I get them as tight as I can the first time and then at the end of the day I just unloop them from the "speed hooks" at the top and then loosen everything up from there. The next time I put them on I have to start at the bottom tightening them up and by the time I'm back to the top I can just barely slip that last loop around the last hook and I'm ready to go.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Okay, I am definitely looking at putting a 2-3 tow rope system in on our property next summer. After sledding with kiddo today I started seeing lines down from higher up, so I went back with a chainsaw and cut this in. I stopped when I destroyed the blade I was using, I can get a bit higher than this.

I was tired and sloppy by the time I actually took a shot down it, but I wasn't going to try again today: 6 mins to bootpack up from the bottom (with ~130 heartrate the whole way) and 6 mins to go from boots to skis, for a 30 second ride. Super fun though and if I had tow lines here, we might just ride it all day. This is pretty much the fall line, with the exception of starting 10-20' below the property peak. There's a much longer line that goes along the edge of the property, it has some almost nordic sections but also a couple serious drops, and most importantly, it could very easily end up running into one of the other paths to the sugarhouse at the bottom of the run here, so I could put in one set of tows that services 3-4 sled/ski lines of varying difficulty.

the fact that it is still this skiiable/sleddable here, in a poo poo rear end year at a time that Mad River is super hosed terrain wise, makes me think it's not an awful investment to put some rope tows in, given that it can be done pretty loving cheaply. I've been advised by some experienced locals to keep my eyes out for used motors from tiny civilian cement mixers, or even just a used mixer, since they are super low speed, high torque.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDxBjOyVre4

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 20, 2022

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Dude, that rules

I've talked about putting in a rope tow on a property I have access to nearby, but it doesn't get nearly enough snow to reliably be usable every year

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Moot .1415926535 posted:

I met a nice couple from Crested Butte and there was apparently bad poo poo going on with their adaptive program which is why they were here as their daughter was a sit skier, but apparently their adaptive program raised $12m to build a new facility which is waaaaay more than they can do here and I thought our adaptive program was top notch.

Adaptive skiing is awesome and every one should support it. When one of our young racers was fighting pediatric cancer she received one last time to ski with friends and family through the Vermont Adaptive Ski program at Pico just a few weeks before she died. We'll have our 4th annual memorial race for her in 2 weeks.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 21, 2022

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ihop posted:

The liner on these is incredibly comfortable and yeah the laces work well but they also tend to easily pop out of the cleat that holds them unless you put a spare strap or the elastic hem of your pants around it.

Also not very waterproof.

Nitro definitely seem to be the brand to buy if you have bad luck with foot pain in snowboard boots. if you go see my previous posts from last year, id had terrible luck with burton/ride boots not fitting well.

proper boot fitter, nitro boots and a heel insert w/Sidas high arch insoles solved it all. then COVID cancelled my season right as I got the most comfortable boots of my life.

I have real weird feet though.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Okay, I am definitely looking at putting a 2-3 tow rope system in on our property next summer. After sledding with kiddo today I started seeing lines down from higher up, so I went back with a chainsaw and cut this in. I stopped when I destroyed the blade I was using, I can get a bit higher than this.

I was tired and sloppy by the time I actually took a shot down it, but I wasn't going to try again today: 6 mins to bootpack up from the bottom (with ~130 heartrate the whole way) and 6 mins to go from boots to skis, for a 30 second ride. Super fun though and if I had tow lines here, we might just ride it all day. This is pretty much the fall line, with the exception of starting 10-20' below the property peak. There's a much longer line that goes along the edge of the property, it has some almost nordic sections but also a couple serious drops, and most importantly, it could very easily end up running into one of the other paths to the sugarhouse at the bottom of the run here, so I could put in one set of tows that services 3-4 sled/ski lines of varying difficulty.

the fact that it is still this skiiable/sleddable here, in a poo poo rear end year at a time that Mad River is super hosed terrain wise, makes me think it's not an awful investment to put some rope tows in, given that it can be done pretty loving cheaply. I've been advised by some experienced locals to keep my eyes out for used motors from tiny civilian cement mixers, or even just a used mixer, since they are super low speed, high torque.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDxBjOyVre4

This is incredible. I’m extremely jealous.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
We did Vail/BC/Vail over this holiday weekend and survived. I was expecting crowds to be way worse than they ended up being. Vail was pretty crowded on the front side today, but I ended up grabbing an early chair/headed straight for the bowls/blue sky and ended up doing a solo morning tour. Left at noon and had an easy drive back to Denver.

My favorite though was Saturday at Beaver Creek. Friend and I just ended up spending a good portion of the day lapping Grouse Mountain. The snow was in fantastic shape given that it's been a few days since it snowed last. The fact that we could ski on the lift without any wait was a bonus. Honestly incredible all around.

Today may have been my last day of the season unless I can convince my wife that letting me ski while she takes care of our newborn is ok.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Been a pretty long period of warm weather and barely any snow around here. Few inches mon-tues made wed at snowbowl decent. Went friday too.

Then did a quick lap of the old closed down marshall mountain today. Snow not so great because it was about 40f when I started plus it gets very heavily skied

Storm started coming in when I got to the top, I hear we're supposed to get a reasonable amount of snow the next few days which will be nice.

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 21, 2022

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Isn't marshall going to reopen, thanks to the county or the city?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPZDEWBzneY

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Isn't marshall going to reopen, thanks to the county or the city?

Not as an operating ski area, but it is fully open to the public now after a small group stepped in last minute to purchase the base area and lower half (they are leasing to the city, with the city planning to buy in the next year or two). It nearly got sold to a guy who was going to try to live up there, and that likely would have been an end to any access from the bottom for skiing and events like bike races and camps for children and whatnot. The top half, which you can get to by a forest road lower down the canyon, is owned by a land trust and has a bunch of mtb trails we built in the last few years.

Few inches of fresh snow this morning, but also well below freezing and windy. So I think I'm staying inside.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 22, 2022

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
45 tomorrow with a chance of rain, and then 57 Wednesday, then maybe 6"+ on Friday? VT! Where if you hate the current weather, wait 5 minutes and it'll be different.

Moot .1415926535 posted:

I was really happy to see VT adaptive able to raise a bunch of money last couple years and be able to add a pretty substantial addition to our base lodge at Mt. Ellen this year. They do a ton of cool work and I've no idea how they managed out of a medium sized room before now given how much they're working with all sorts of folks.

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 22, 2022

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Residency Evil posted:

Today may have been my last day of the season unless I can convince my wife that letting me ski while she takes care of our newborn is ok.

Good luck with that. We are a 10 minute walk to a lift, had our second in mid December. Riding is at an all time low currently.

Have not even bothered testing out my new board because I missed the few storms that came through.

None the less, everybody is happy and healthy. I'll get my laps in soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

And before you know your kid will be approaching 24 and you’re still making a horrible weekend drive to help run events for other peoples high school aged kids.

Got an email tonight that a group of kids from one of our schools has been threatening a kid from another school that they’re gonna “take him out” next comp because of a spicy boardercross heat. These shitbirds have been an issue for awhile because they all think they’re the next Sean Fitzsimons, so I’m going to enjoy putting my foot into some asses.