Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

A comic told entirely without dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Where does one begin to take this one apart? I love the dialogue balloonless dialogue balloons. It's just... an astonishing choice.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

with every page i lose more respect for whatever the orc dudes name is. arudak?
and mookie

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Joe Slowboat posted:

A comic told entirely without dialogue.

I honestly want someone to ask him why this doesn't count as dialogue. It's painfully obvious Mookie doesn't want a dialogue free comic anymore and it isn't helping the pacing. But I guess he'd be an even more miserable soft boi if he couldn't praise himself for Snout's deafness

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
So Kaianda really did just vanish offscreen as soon as someone else's plot started, huh.

I guess technically there could've been a timeskip between Snout eating the faux-seaweed and Orc Punch 2.0, but if so it was communicated extremely poorly, especially since Snout's expression suggests his face is still stuffed when he sees Arudak.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
No dialogue.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Mookie has been cheating by having Snout write down his thoughts as a journal entry, and having back and forths with the characters through his diary, but even then you could say "Okay, it's still technically defensible as not actually being dialogue. Snout's still only learning things after the fact, and he's not getting direct statements, just another person's summarizing of what was said."

But this? I guess now Ink Witch has a magic spell that transcribes spoken statements in real time. This is just loving dialogue. This is literally no different from just having speech bubbles over their heads. This is pathetic.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

No, dialogue!

e: mods, please change the thread title.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Feb 21, 2022

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's some primo calm hitlering there :discourse: He even bolded the angry guy's words!

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

my eyes refuse to read the words

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

LAST TIME ON DOMINIC DEEGAN:
Oh No! Is our friend a member of team evil!?!

NOW FOR TODAYS' EPISODE:
No he isn't.

I love the fact that Mookie has gone back and smoothed any rough edge these characters might have had

Ink Witch was a somewhat sketchy person who may have been manipulating Snout into helping her with her nebulous goals.
Only nope, that was just Mookie not realizing how she came across, she was actual Snouts' mom who gave him cuddles and rides to soccer practice.

Araduk was a surly, vaguely antagonistic person who was trying to stop Snout from achieving his goals.
Only wait! He just had back pain and somehow didn't realize you can buy painkillers at your local pharmacy.
And now he's Snouts' dad who pats him on the back and gives him a hearty "Atta boy slugger, you hosed a member of the best race!"

And Kaianda was someone trying to understand a world she was effectively just born into while dealing with something monstrous inside of her.
But hold on! She runs into a horrible plant man who fixes her right up, and now she's Snouts' older sister who worries about him and brings him snacks.

Hell, even Snout had survival instincts and some physical prowess.
But now he's basically a toddler being led on the worlds slowest....adventure?

Mookie is so adverse to actual conflict and character growth he straight up destroyed everything even remotely interesting about his characters in order to make them into a group with all the spice and flavour of a slice of plain bread washed down with a glass of room temperature water.

It's too the point that "Does this character have an interesting back story!?!" is considered a cliff hanger and "No, he was a good boy all along" is the resolution.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Eight-Six posted:

my eyes refuse to read the words

It's not much important. Arudak claims he wasn't actually a Seku Muat and that he regrets supporting them. Kind of a "German citizen who supported the Nazis, but then went 'whoa man genocide is just too far'" thing I guess. The real question is how openly orc supermacist the Seku Muat were, since the Nazis were openly antisemitic, so even someone who supported them before they got into power would still be a very racist piece of poo poo.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

arudak "both sides had some very fine people" whateverhislastnameis

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Considering that the history book implied burning the Garden was the final straw that got international outcry and that the Seku Muat were openly threatening specific non-orc settlements well before then, I'm not seeing any way Arudak could not have been a fellow orc supremacist.

oh god is this why Arudak said orc women were the best lays

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
This is LITERALLY Calm Hitler for gently caress's sake!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ink Witch must be a fast writer to get all that down and in different font.

Because most of the time people would just summarize what people are saying.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Cloacamazing! posted:

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Cloacamazing! posted:

[...]Insert calm and rational Hitler comic here.[...]

Invisible Clergy posted:

I'm getting big calmhitler.jpg vibes from the top panel.

Cloacamazing! posted:

It keeps happening.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

let's see some Clam Hitler

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Everything else aside, I'm not sure where we're going with this, other than that this provides a reason to have the group leave town before they can continue thinking about asking about Luna.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

MiracleFlare posted:

Considering that the history book implied burning the Garden was the final straw that got international outcry and that the Seku Muat were openly threatening specific non-orc settlements well before then, I'm not seeing any way Arudak could not have been a fellow orc supremacist.

Yeah that's my problem with it, it runs into the same problem as the analogy I mentioned before. When you have a race supremacist group going "Someone should do something about these inferior races!" and a person supports that group, they can't turn around and go "Whoa, I can't believe they did something, I never wanted this!" when the group takes action.

Which is exactly what Mookie's trying to do with Arudak. Whoa he never wanted the Seku Muat to actually burn down the living plant town! Sure he supported them when they said "Living plant people don't have rights and it's fine to kill and eat them" but burning down their town? That's just wrong! (And yes I know we don't actually know that Garden whatever was the living plant town but given Mookie's lack of imagination or cleverness I feel confident in saying it absolutely was.)

And see the problem is, this almost even works. There's people who grow up in a culture of hatred, accept it, believe in it, and then something happens to shatter their worldview and they go "Oh god, the things I did were hosed up, I want to be a different person." And I'm not even saying that everyone has to embrace those people and say "It's okay you're good now and nothing you did before matters" and that they must be forgiven of all their past actions. But people can and do change, and that's fine! The reason why it doesn't work in this case is Arudak saying "I was never one of them." Arudak admitting he supported them but denying he was part of the group is a pretty clear attempt on Mookie's part to absolve Arudak of all responsibility.

You know how people say that American politics are kind of like sports teams, where people root for them no matter what, where every accusation against them is lies, but every accusation against the other team is completely correct? This honestly feels like a weird extension of that. Because if I'm rooting for say, the Packers, I'd be all "Go Packers! Packers are the best! Packers won the Super Bowl! WOOOO!" but I'm not actually a Green Bay Packer. It would be ridiculous to say I am part of the team just because I support them. And it feels like Mookie is trying to do this with Arudak? Like Arudak is all "Go orc supremacists, orc supremacists are the best, WOOOOO!" but he isn't actually part of their group so technically he didn't do anything wrong personally, and if he gets called out on it he can say "But I don't even like the orc supremacists anymore! Sure I supported them back in the day, but they're different now, they're a totally different team, I don't like them anymore." That's the only way this loving makes sense, but it's completely goddamn stupid.

Neofelis
Jun 22, 2009

Invisible Clergy posted:

While I don't know if it was changed after 9/11 specifically, at least 2 versions of the dedication at the end of "Rambo III" do exist. This was the one I saw when I saw the film on tv last year. Perhaps this was the international or tv edit or something.

I'd be really interested in seeing this version because while the claim has been made numerous times, there's no video evidence of its existence on the internet whatsoever and a lot of articles and Wikipedia saying it's always been ”gallant people”. You'd think someone would've uploaded it somewhere.

As for the comic, I'm glad writing all spoken lines in ink doesn't count as dialogue or Mookie would be in trouble.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Emrikol posted:

I'm not sure where we're going with this

Nowhere

He just decided it was time for something to happen, but its not going to go anywhere

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I dunno about you but I’m honestly thrilled we are moving into Silent Movie Dialogue Box Legacy. This is a new and entertaining kind of stupid.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
It is wildly unreasonable for the one orc to be mad at orc Joe Rogan for platforming Nazis.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

He can't be racist, he has a plant friend!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Actually after thinking about it a bit, I think I finally get what this is analogous to.

First I'd like to say that I'm not accusing Mookie of being this kind of person, nor do I think that he's actually making this analogy for real, it's just that when I thought about it like this it felt like it fit perfectly.

This feels like an attempt to excuse people who voted for Trump in 2016. Looking at it from that perspective, it fits. Trump was definitely racist before he was elected, but it wasn't quite as prominent before he took office. Most of the really blatantly racist stuff like "they're not people, they're animals," "many fine people on both sides," and "shithole countries" was after he'd been president a while. So we have a theoretical person who thinks "Eh everyone has their prejudices, it's not like he's going to be openly racist if he gets elected, I'll vote for him." Then after he wins, becomes increasingly more openly racist, the person thinks "Oh poo poo, this is not what I sagged on for" and regrets their vote for him. But they weren't a MAGA person, they weren't ever like "WOOO Trump he's the best, he's gonna save the country," they just voted for him because they thought he would be better than Hillary.

I'm not saying that this theoretical person is smart, or totally absolved of any responsibility for the Trump presidency, mind you. But if you look at it that way, it feels like what Mookie's setting up is, the Seku Muat start saying "Hey, Callan loving sucks because they were racist towards us, we need to take revenge on them." Arudak goes "Yeah, gently caress Callan, they're bastards" and doesn't join the group, but likes what they're saying and supports them. Then they start saying "Oh yeah and all these other races need to get out of our territory!" and Arudak's like "Gee I dunno about this, that's a little different than what I wanted from you guys," and then it culminates in the burning of the Garden and at that point he's all "Wow these guys are assholes, I can't believe I ever supported them, I just wanted to stick it to the Callanians."

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Mookie has been cheating by having Snout write down his thoughts as a journal entry, and having back and forths with the characters through his diary, but even then you could say "Okay, it's still technically defensible as not actually being dialogue. Snout's still only learning things after the fact, and he's not getting direct statements, just another person's summarizing of what was said."

But this? I guess now Ink Witch has a magic spell that transcribes spoken statements in real time. This is just loving dialogue. This is literally no different from just having speech bubbles over their heads. This is pathetic.

With her ink powers she could make literal real-time word balloons appear over everyone's heads. It'd be kind of a cute meta-joke and be easier to follow than the different fonts.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

LAST TIME ON MOOKIE BALL Z: IS ORCBOY A BAD BOY?
TODAY ON MOOKIE BALL Z: gently caress ALL BOYS ARE SOFT BOIS

Invisible Clergy posted:

Oh yeah, I remember these. They were great. Would love to see them when you've got time either now or when we get to this point in the original comic, whatever you think is funnier.

Happy to oblige. Since we just met the best character in all of DD, I'll go ahead and post the edits with him.

And round it out with this classic nightmare

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

if you had asked me how terraciano would top "heroic rapist", my first guess wouldn't have been "heroic nazi collaborator"

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 21, 2022

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah that's my problem with it, it runs into the same problem as the analogy I mentioned before. When you have a race supremacist group going "Someone should do something about these inferior races!" and a person supports that group, they can't turn around and go "Whoa, I can't believe they did something, I never wanted this!" when the group takes action.
Sure you can. They're a remarkably large percent of the population:

I just took it as a given that the garden of whateverthefuck is where the plant people lived. Also, it's weird that a town of ambulatory plant creatures who function pretty much the same as any other humanoid D&D race would call the place they live a "garden," right? Wouldn't they just call it a town or city or whatever like everyone else?

quote:

And see the problem is, this almost even works. There's people who grow up in a culture of hatred, accept it, believe in it, and then something happens to shatter their worldview and they go "Oh god, the things I did were hosed up, I want to be a different person." And I'm not even saying that everyone has to embrace those people and say "It's okay you're good now and nothing you did before matters" and that they must be forgiven of all their past actions. But people can and do change, and that's fine! The reason why it doesn't work in this case is Arudak saying "I was never one of them." Arudak admitting he supported them but denying he was part of the group is a pretty clear attempt on Mookie's part to absolve Arudak of all responsibility.
Like a lot of stuff in the comic, I agree this could work if Mookie put any time into it or gave it any kind of dramatic weight, but the way he's set up the comic is antithetical to both of those things.

quote:

You know how people say that American politics are kind of like sports teams, where people root for them no matter what, where every accusation against them is lies, but every accusation against the other team is completely correct? This honestly feels like a weird extension of that. Because if I'm rooting for say, the Packers, I'd be all "Go Packers! Packers are the best! Packers won the Super Bowl! WOOOO!" but I'm not actually a Green Bay Packer. It would be ridiculous to say I am part of the team just because I support them. And it feels like Mookie is trying to do this with Arudak? Like Arudak is all "Go orc supremacists, orc supremacists are the best, WOOOOO!" but he isn't actually part of their group so technically he didn't do anything wrong personally, and if he gets called out on it he can say "But I don't even like the orc supremacists anymore! Sure I supported them back in the day, but they're different now, they're a totally different team, I don't like them anymore." That's the only way this loving makes sense, but it's completely goddamn stupid.
That's a very interesting analogy. So in Mookie's mind, if Arudak didn't physically burn any crosses himself, then he wasn't an orc supremacist, no matter how he actually supported orc supremacist action.

Neofelis posted:

I'd be really interested in seeing this version because while the claim has been made numerous times, there's no video evidence of its existence on the internet whatsoever and a lot of articles and Wikipedia saying it's always been ”gallant people”. You'd think someone would've uploaded it somewhere.
I wish I'd had the foresight to record the screen when I caught Rambo III on tv a few years ago knowing it'd come up on a message board a few years later. I am fairly confident some version of the film's dedication said "Mujahideen" in it, because when I saw it, I looked it up and remember this being where I learned about who the Mujahideen are. I feel like it's plausible that that version was a tv edit, airplane edit, laserdisc version, etc. I tried looking the film up online since I don't have a copy on dvd or vhs, but it is dedicated to "gallant people" as well.

The Trump stuff is definitely plausible as well.

Those dwarf edits are :discourse:

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Pretty sure Mookie forgot this even happened when he decided to add this plot twist.

https://twitter.com/climaxstriker/status/1495829424893272067?s=20&t=It09ncoz8ZTTj9weJ1c8fg

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i think what gets me the most is "'I'm trying to be a better man. Can't you let me try?". usually in that type of redemption story the penitent character understands that there will be people who'll always hate them and will always be justified in feeling that way, but here arudak is straight up putting his feelings above others. in fact, he even seems annoyed ("how many times do i have to say") that someone else thinks that feeling sad doesn't make up for supporting the local klan rally

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I wonder if Mookie will manage to gently caress this political storyline up even worse than Elf War. This will be fascinating to watch.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Robot Style posted:

Pretty sure Mookie forgot this even happened when he decided to add this plot twist.

https://twitter.com/climaxstriker/status/1495829424893272067?s=20&t=It09ncoz8ZTTj9weJ1c8fg

I was gonna say I can picture Mookie furiously erasing and scribbling over Wednesday's strip after reading that tweet but that presupposes he doesn't write and illustrate this garbage an hour before he uploads it

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

a cartoon duck posted:

i think what gets me the most is "'I'm trying to be a better man. Can't you let me try?". usually in that type of redemption story the penitent character understands that there will be people who'll always hate them and will always be justified in feeling that way, but here arudak is straight up putting his feelings above others. in fact, he even seems annoyed ("how many times do i have to say") that someone else thinks that feeling sad doesn't make up for supporting the local klan rally

Yeah, it's the same kind of mindset that you see when people give Jewish folks guff over not wanting ex-Nazis in their synagogues, even supposedly repentant ones.

(Yes, this happens.)

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I sure do hope that Ilsin goes so God damned crazy on Araduk by continuing to be angry at a facist collaborator.
Then plant guy shows up to shame Ilsin for continuing to be angry at someone who helped bring about horror on his home and got God knows how many people killed.

Then we, the audience, can learn the most valuable lesson of all.
That all violence and anger is equally bad, so please stop saying that the heroic rapist was a bad guy!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

We're gonna be on Namek in the orc nation for a long time more aren't we

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

It's been brought up before that as far as Mookie is concerned, the second someone says "Oops, my bad, I hosed up" that they are immediately absolved of any blame, and anyone who rejects that redemption is that simple is wrong to hold it against them. We saw it with the elf war in Star Power, we saw it with the first mention of the Seku Muat, and we're seeing it again now. Arudak said the magic words, he's better now, and anyone who doesn't accept that and hug it out with him is an evil jock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's been brought up before that as far as Mookie is concerned, the second someone says "Oops, my bad, I hosed up" that they are immediately absolved of any blame, and anyone who rejects that redemption is that simple is wrong to hold it against them.
It's a bit more conditional than that because it sure didn't work that way with Jayden.