Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
UMMM, :actually:,

if you look closely enough AND turn on the stupid graphic setting that makes the screen contour in a dome like no crt ever actually did, you can see that Dracula clearly has the Rareware logo on his collar the entire time. This was before the Microsoft buy out, ofc.

edit: what a god awful new page post :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, I've finally started playing Earthbound and I love it.

I barely survived the fight against Frank, and his tank killed me. Good god how am I supposed to do this?!

This is always the hardest part of the game for me.

Today I played through Frank’s part and the next area. Before fighting Frank I did some grinding to level 5-6ish, I had about 65 hp. You can also find a baseball hat for extra defense in town and buy the tee ball bat + cheap bracelet.

This was the first time that I creamed Frank. My hubris was too great though because I died twice in the dungeon that opens after beating Frank.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Odd Wilson posted:

CRTs are great, but I've yet to find a filter that gives the actual effect of a CRT. There's a lot of nuance to it that filters just don't get right, but that's fine, because I've got my CRT setup right beside me.

I can even commit crimes against video formats by down converting HDMI to RF- I have played my Switch on my CRT before. I don't usually have to do that though, as CRT doesn't usually look good for games made outside the era of analog video or 4:3 aspect ratios. :v:

In any other situation, give me the sharpest drat pixels possible. I want full clarity with no filtering and no stretching- integer scaling only.

What do you use to convert HDMI to rf? Anything I've tried has had way too much lag to play games

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
If you wan ta good CRT buy a PVM.

A lot of retro games, especially pre-rendered titles, are made to be played on them.

I really wish there was some from of HD technology that had the same "scan-line" effect as CRT technology.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
actually, us real gamers prefer to use a CRT like a pipboy for that true retro experience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnU10ZfRO9Y

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Why would I game on a TV when I have a Nintendo Switch?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Re: 2 pages ago, dkc looks amazing gently caress everyone

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
The most uncharitable thing I can say about DKC is there's a lot of disconnect between the background and foreground a lot of the time but this is mostly only an issue in the first game apart from a few of the pirate ship levels in 2

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Waiting for pre-rendered graphics to make their comeback. 90’s nostalgia is in force, time for some DKC inspired indie games.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I really wish there was some from of HD technology that had the same "scan-line" effect as CRT technology.

Some emulators I've played stuff on have pretty dang convincing CRT filters built into them. Even the Switch Online classic games have a CRT filter (that's not perfect, but alas). I think people should perfect such a filter and it should be included on old, emulated games by default.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Palmtree Panic posted:

Waiting for pre-rendered graphics to make their comeback. 90’s nostalgia is in force, time for some DKC inspired indie games.

I was part of a goon-run game jam a few weeks ago, and someone made a game based on FMV and clay.

It won best art/visuals because it was just so unique.

Not quite what you're talking about, obviously, but it's a style of game dev that's so rarely seen anymore now.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

flavor.flv posted:

What do you use to convert HDMI to rf? Anything I've tried has had way too much lag to play games

This thing, a Keedox HDMI to AV I got from someone for dirt cheap alongside an old SV2000 DVR. I mostly needed it in a very contrived setup to record some Switch footage. I can't necessarily vouch for the final video quality, my CRT is rather small and not extremely high quality, but I don't remember any troubling lag while playing some racing games.

Edit: Went back and tested it, and there is a small amount of lag, but it's not unplayable. I doubt it's easy to get much better though, signal conversion takes time.

Palmtree Panic posted:

Yeah, this would be cool to see. I personally loved the pre-rendered style of SMRPG Seven Stars and DKC.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 21, 2022

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Detective No. 27 posted:

It logs me out of my Fire Stick and phone every loving time. It does it to my girlfriend too. I've had strangers confirm that it does it to them too. They must pay their programmers as poorly as their translators.

happens to me, too

i'm actually surprised at the poor quality of Crunchyroll but i guess they're printing money from folks like me who just deal with it, so they don't give a poo poo

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Snake Maze posted:

I don’t think it’s particularly farfetched to think they were designing the sprites to look good on a crt tv, especially considering they were probably drawn on a crt monitor.

That's pretty much how it went. They did some neat tricks to achieve various levels of transparency and texture by abusing the less effects, too; some games with weird checkered text backgrounds, for example, were an attempt to rely on this effect (and it worked!).

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I logged into the Wii U eShop today to make sure I wasn’t leaving any unused credit, and wow is it painfully slow. I did have some credit to use to I scooped up Super Mario Advance 4, but the whole process from finding the game to checking out was legitimately 10 minutes of waiting.

The Switch eShop is an unorganized mess but it’s so much faster than the Wii U store that I don’t think I’ll ever complain about it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Weren't funds synced between the wiiu, 3ds, and switch? As long as you used the same account, right?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Anyone playing Where the Water Tastes Like Wine? I'm having an issue where the character is basically moving without my input on the map. I thought this was a joycon issue so I sent my left controller in for repair, but afterwards I'm having the same problem.

I suspect I'm the only one in the world who bought Where the Water Tastes Like Wine but if anyone has this problem somehow, it's because LB starts your character automatically walking forward until you hit LB again. The port has some rough edges but it's mostly good and the game is an interestingly weird expereience.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

And (AND!!)…DKC 3 is good actually

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

And (AND!!)…DKC 3 is good actually

dkc3 is leagues better than 1

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

it's not better than 2 but 2 is nearly the perfect platformer, it's too high a bar to clear. 3 is really underrated though

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

The Switch eShop is an unorganized mess but it’s so much faster than the Wii U store that I don’t think I’ll ever complain about it.

That’s frightening because the Switch eShop is one of the slowest, laggiest, most unresponsive piece of software that I’ve had the pleasure of using.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I feel like every console store kind of sucks. But at least the Xbox store is pretty quick. Switch store is so weird it's like it's own separate program and I feel like it could do a lot more. The wish list isn't too bad, though it would be better if it cleared games you bought.

They've made a few nice improvements to the Switch store, but could still do more. Remember when they put up user reviews for like 12 hours? Lol. Then again we can't even get folders on the main UI, so asking much more out of the store might be pipedream.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The Xbox store is really good since they redesigned it a few months ago, although discoverability still kinda sucks.

The real lifehack is to just browse and buy stuff via the respective websites and automatically download to your system.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

While DKC2 is the best of the original trilogy, the first is still a good game. I find it weird that it has this aura of being a mediocre entry.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Chronojam posted:

Weren't funds synced between the wiiu, 3ds, and switch? As long as you used the same account, right?

Pretty sure they were always separate balances, the balance on my Wii U was different than the balance I have on my Switch

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

While DKC2 is the best of the original trilogy, the first is still a good game. I find it weird that it has this aura of being a mediocre entry.

Yeah even if it’s surpassed by 2 it’s still leagues better than a lot of the platformer flotsam of the 90s. You’d still take it any day over, like, Aero The Acrobat or w/e

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

If you don't like DKC1...

You're a FREAK

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

dkc1 can be both the weakest of the trilogy and still a very good platformer

all three games are really just amazing. it's a pity we didn't get any more of them

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1495632984363311105

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the red pixel eye thing also comes off more as a kludge than the idea that they'd meticulously design things with regard to how TVs would interpret the image but idk

I mean, they did meticulously design things with regard to how the image would look. It's not an accident that those pixels lined up in that way create wavy hair when blurred by a CRT, for example, it's skilled artists creating a deliberate image.

Our experience of pixel art as a crisp crunchy product is colored by 20+ years of only seeing it on emulators, retro games, sprite comics, etc on modern displays, but from the late 90's and earlier it was absolutely designed with the intention of being filtered through the CRT. Whether it's better or worse is subjective.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1495636327781462018
Looks like 5 of those 10 are just different versions of the Darkstalkers games? At least it's not filled with a half dozen different versions of SF2.

And HYPER is the sole Street Fighter representative but the Switch already got a port in ULTRA? Strange.

Also they've got CPS3 emulation going for Red Earth but no SF3 huh? I guess they want you to buy that SF 30th Anniversary bundle.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

I want a new Puzzle Bobble. Where's Puzzle Bobble 99?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Red Earth is one of the most beautiful games of all-time. The "single player fighting game" aspect was interesting. Could have really used a sequel.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Let me know when they re-release Tatsunoko VS Capcom

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

SuddenCactus posted:

Oh gently caress yes!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

SuddenCactus posted:

That game is probably a licensing nightmare. I recall when the creator of Kyatto Ninden Teyandee/Samurai Pizza Cats wanted Yattaro/Speedy in the game, and despite having creator approval and the series being a Tatsunoko property, licensing prevented it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Takoluka posted:

That game is probably a licensing nightmare. I recall when the creator of Kyatto Ninden Teyandee/Samurai Pizza Cats wanted Yattaro/Speedy in the game, and despite having creator approval and the series being a Tatsunoko property, licensing prevented it.

If Capcom could negotiate it during the Wii era they could probably do so today. Crossovers and whatnot have never been more popular. Companies understand that more exposure equals more long term profits.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

quote:

At one point, Go Mifune from Mach Go Go Go (known as Speed Racer in International territories) was considered as a potential fighter, but difficulties on assembling a moveset aside from those enabled by his car made him difficult to implement

Lol that the only two Tatsunoko characters that anybody in North America had ever heard of were specifically vetoed by the studio

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
If we can get Super Robot Wars 30 in english we can get Tatsunoko vs Capcom 2, which will also have a better Ryu model than whatever Street Fighter it is contemporary with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

The United States posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1495636327781462018
Looks like 5 of those 10 are just different versions of the Darkstalkers games? At least it's not filled with a half dozen different versions of SF2.

And HYPER is the sole Street Fighter representative but the Switch already got a port in ULTRA? Strange.

Also they've got CPS3 emulation going for Red Earth but no SF3 huh? I guess they want you to buy that SF 30th Anniversary bundle.

Counterpoint: Darkstalkers is very cool and good

Also, Hyper wasn't in SF 30th Anniversary.