Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Sab0921 posted:

I tried to watch a NASCAR race today and it was very confusing and like 4 hours long - wtf is this. they're just double file bunched up for like 4 hours. The entire sport is the last 5 laps of Abu Dhabi

car go fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
where is my friend track day bro

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Tsaedje posted:

Guessing they just didn't get rid of the ones Renault gave them but Honda don't want big Renault logos around. Trying to think if Honda even make them.

Honda do not make large trucks.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Frond posted:

Honda do not make large trucks.

Too many cylinders to test!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

Guessing they just didn't get rid of the ones Renault gave them but Honda don't want big Renault logos around. Trying to think if Honda even make them.

Honda don’t make commercial vehicles bigger than passenger cars, and none of the Japanese truck brands sell in Europe anyways.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Thanks Ants posted:

They're not going to drive around in Mercedes trucks are they. Maybe they could go with Volvo though, a nice neutral option.

DAF

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

red bull should use mack trucks for obvious reasons

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

i'm currently training to become a trucker so that video is of great interest to me
Does the training now include making GBS threads in a carrier bag for that authentic Operation Stack experience?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Haas have just revealed a car which is completely different from the one they revealed the other week and looks more like the Ferrari.

https://twitter.com/HaasF1Team/status/1495682741177827330?t=D_fz4eXvx6dsoD2uvzVqzg&s=19

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Haas have just revealed a car which is completely different from the one they revealed the other week and looks more like the Ferrari.

https://twitter.com/HaasF1Team/status/1495682741177827330?t=D_fz4eXvx6dsoD2uvzVqzg&s=19

this is hardly a surprise, especially in the case of Haas and Red Bull. Will be interesting to see what they really have this week (since the Barcelona shakedown starts on Wednesday).

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Merc managed to do that on the same day, as well as Williams :lol:

E: if that’s the actual Haas (which I assume it is)…uh….good luck.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Hey now they spent a year on that!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The real excitement is going to be seeing which trucks each team have got

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
is it me or are those cars a lot louder and grittier?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

learnincurve posted:

is it me or are those cars a lot louder and grittier?

It's just because they are filming up close in the pits with their own equipment. You don't normally get that sound coming through on the main feed but you sometimes get sounds like that when they have Ted in the pits or what have you

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Feb 21, 2022

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

Hey now they spent a year on that!

Seems more like they spent two years on their own and six months-plus having Ferrari people bring in the in-progress Scuderia ideas. Shouldn’t be a surprise it looks like the car they get staff seconded from.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

It's amazing what you can accidentally drop on a wind tunnel floor.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Haas: spends two years building the car

Also Haas: accidentally built two cars

this is canon in my head.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Do the rules say anything about your two cars being the same as long as they both conform to the regs?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

boop the snoot posted:

Haas: spends two years building the car

Also Haas: accidentally built two cars

this is canon in my head.

I can totally buy Guenther forgetting to tell them not build the car they designed in 2020.

Also could a team run two completely different cars as a bit?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

I can totally buy Guenther forgetting to tell them not build the car they designed in 2020.

Also could a team run two completely different cars as a bit?

We know they would have to have the same livery, thanks to BAR

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah I don't think that rule has changed but if you mean 2 different car designs, if they're legal sure, just like teams sometimes change mid-season (Force India a few years back for instance)

There is one footnote though.

A "Car" for constructor's championship purposes is defined as a car and engine. So if Haas somehow had an old car running Renault engines and used it for the first 2 rounds, then any points scored would not count the same as the ones scored with their Ferrari powered car.

Two different Ferrari engines is just fine.

This happened a bit during the change to the turbo era when teams like Lotus and Williams got their turbo Renaults and Hondas mid year. In 1983 Williams were both 4th and 11th in the constructor's championship for this reason.

In one race Lotus actually got Elio De Angelis disqualified because he qualified a Lotus - Renault and then thanks to a failure hopped in the Ford powered car for the race. That "team" hadn't qualified so they chucked him out. Lotus though used 2 different Renault powered cars that season and it was fine.

Dudley fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 21, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just carry round your bag of engine badges and some glue and call it good

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
this isn't the same rule but i still love when Sauber had to race was BMW Sauber because they forgot to file for a team name change after losing the BMW engines, and it was too late for them to just race as Team Sauber

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Williams only had the Honda Turbos for 1 round in 1983.

In 1982, Brabham appeared in the constructors championship twice, as Brabham-BMW and Brabham-Ford. They would use whichever engine suited the track (also the BMW was extremely unreliable and had atrocious power delivery despite being powerful.)

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Feels Villeneuve posted:

this isn't the same rule but i still love when Sauber had to race was BMW Sauber because they forgot to file for a team name change after losing the BMW engines, and it was too late for them to just race as Team Sauber

Yeah the problem there is there is/was a deadline where team name changes had to have unanimous approval and for some reason they didn't get it. The Team was "BMW Sauber" who happened to have Ferrari engines.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Frond posted:

Williams only had the Honda Turbos for 1 round in 1983.

In 1982, Brabham appeared in the constructors championship twice, as Brabham-BMW and Brabham-Ford. They would use whichever engine suited the track (also the BMW was extremely unreliable and had atrocious power delivery despite being powerful.)

Yep but they scored points in that one round, making them better than Mazepin.

There's a few other examples too. Lotus ran as two teams for most of 83, after the DQ incident in race one Elio raced with the Renaults and Mansell with the Fords for a full half of the year before they finally had enough Renaults to run the 2nd car with them.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Why can’t you just change your name whenever you want

Who cares?

I’m sure there’s some dumb corruption related justification.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Somewhat related is Larrousse being disqualified from the 1990 standings because they entered the car as a Larrousse and not a Lola, who actually built it.

It gets more confusing- neither Suzuki or Bernard were DQ’d from the driver’s championship, all of their results stood. And the team kept it’s prize money. Which makes you wonder why they even bothered.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Dudley posted:

Yep but they scored points in that one round, making them better than Mazepin.

There's a few other examples too. Lotus ran as two teams for most of 83, after the DQ incident in race one Elio raced with the Renaults and Mansell with the Fords for a full half of the year before they finally had enough Renaults to run the 2nd car with them.

McLaren as well in 1983 - as McLaren Ford and McLaren TAG.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Tsaedje posted:

Do the rules say anything about your two cars being the same as long as they both conform to the regs?

I think most teams run their two cars like that.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
In the past you could run two different designs as long as they were legal - I think the last time that happened was Forti in 1996 so I dunno what the current rule is.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Maybe on the first race of the season they are identical

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Frond posted:

Somewhat related is Larrousse being disqualified from the 1990 standings because they entered the car as a Larrousse and not a Lola, who actually built it.

It gets more confusing- neither Suzuki or Bernard were DQ’d from the driver’s championship, all of their results stood. And the team kept it’s prize money. Which makes you wonder why they even bothered.

And yet Haas don't have to call theirs a Dallara.

And there's a big pile of engines not being entered as what they were, most recently literally this year by Red Bull.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Lol for all the vapor wave cool 80s rumors the Alpine basically looks like the pink Racing Point BWT livery.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

Red Warrior posted:

Lol for all the vapor wave cool 80s rumors the Alpine basically looks like the pink Racing Point BWT livery.

Or whatever the gently caress it's called

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Red Warrior posted:

gently caress... !!

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

the livery isn't as fun as it could have been but it's not terrible either
https://twitter.com/AlpineF1Team/status/1495817498201145350?s=20&t=Rrqemg__xPdElpCKpsmtTg

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

racing point is back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That blue is nice though