Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

wyoming posted:

I am still so loving annoyed that The Force Awakens didn't end with her going off on a journey to find Luke, it's just like "Well here's Luke"

Vinylshadow posted:

The fact TFA and TLJ take place within the same spitting distance of one another makes telling stories around them difficult
Thinking about it, they could have fixed a lot by just having her seeing Luke be a force vision premonition, and not something that literally happens 5 minutes after she leaves in the Falcon.

wyoming posted:

Fuckin' trash. (Though really, maybe that journey should have been the movie instead of the poorly edited heap we got)
I'm still amazed people were invested enough to be disappointed by TLJ or RotS. There was nowhere to go but downhill.
Rogue One and TLJ were a step up from TFA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Gareth Edwards isn't a bad director by any means but they should have gotten Gareth Evans instead and let him have carte blanche.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Robot Style posted:

I'll definitely put some of the bloating on Lucasfilm mismanaging the project - apparently it was only supposed to be 4 episodes before Covid pushed things back - but there's more evidence than not that the series' lower quality was the result of Favreau's fanboyism interfering with his storytelling, Filoni shoehorning his own OC's into the plot, and Rodriguez just being a sloppy filmmaker in general.

I suppose it’s possible, but the point is that nobody makes anything like the Boba show ‘on purpose’.

It’s like when people drop “mystery box” memes to explain away the ST. Rodriguez has made some dodgy stuff in his career, but nothing like this.

Besides generally looking kinda cheap, the main culprit with Boba is actually the editing, which is generally awful across the five episodes. Like, both on a shot-to-shot basis and w/r/t the overall structuring of the narrative. Even fans noticed something palpably wrong with the car chase.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

Gareth Edwards isn't a bad director by any means but they should have gotten Gareth Evans instead and let him have carte blanche.

An hour and a half of Finn stabbing stormtroopers in the knee.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Rodriguez has made some dodgy stuff in his career, but nothing like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqK_P0yU9jk

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

God bless George Lucas

George Lucas posted:

If I’d held onto the company I could have done it, and then it would have been done. Of course, a lot of the fans would have hated it, just like they did Phantom Menace and everything, but at least the whole story from beginning to end would be told.

George Lucas posted:

I know this is the kind of thing that fans just go berserk over because they say, “We want it to be mysterious and magical”, and “You’re just doing science.”

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I suppose it’s possible, but the point is that nobody makes anything like the Boba show ‘on purpose’.

It’s like when people drop “mystery box” memes to explain away the ST. Rodriguez has made some dodgy stuff in his career, but nothing like this.

Besides generally looking kinda cheap, the main culprit with Boba is actually the editing, which is generally awful across the five episodes. Like, both on a shot-to-shot basis and w/r/t the overall structuring of the narrative. Even fans noticed something palpably wrong with the car chase.

There are articles about the shows creation where Rodriguez was editing all the scenes ON SET while filming because they didnt know if COVID was ever gonna shut them down. It said he was showing "finished" scenes to Favreu & Kennedy the day they were shot.

This may explain something to do with how the show ended up cut together. Though obviously the structure of the episodes probably came much later.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

It's more than that; in restructuring things so that the narrative is frontloaded with flashbacks, Disney eliminated the mystery element. The proper way to tell the story is to have Boba show up like a 'badass', and then appear increasingly 'in over his head' as the story progresses. Has he 'gone soft'? Throw in a few flashbacks to show that maybe he's changed too much. Then you have the reveal that, no, he's just gonna murder everyone.

On top of just being less narratively satisfying, the show has a very blatant ideological problem: the hero is literally a feudal lord who openly announces his intention to collect tithes. Fans scoffed when I described Disney's Resistance as neo-feudal, and now: lol.

The funny thing is that organised crime and a feudal system are almost literally the same thing, so that would be extremely fitting.

Terrible editing has been a theme of the sequel stuff, Rogue One in particular being chopped to pieces in the cutting room with the protagonist's entire arc exorcised. I wouldn't be surprised if it's usually a hallmark of the suits getting involved and wanting to gently caress around with things for the sake of Making A Contribution.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Feb 18, 2022

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

I flipped through one of the nu-canon Thrawn comics the other day and they state that the Empire isn't anti-alien because they're racists, it's that the Separatists are made up of so many different worlds that just so happen to be filled with aliens because they just so happen to be closer to the outer rim. And ever since, the Empire has been wary of people from those worlds due to their potential Separatist connections. But not because they're racist!

It seemed to be stating this with no shred of irony or sense of self-awareness whatsoever.

The implication, of course, being that Disney doesn't want to have their unequivocal bad guys be racist because they need to sell Star Wars comics to racists to maximize profits.

Disney wants the most milquetoast of villains.

We're also never getting another Tie Fighter.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The funny thing is that organised crime and a feudal system are almost literally the same thing, so that would be extremely fitting.

Terrible editing has been a theme of the sequel stuff, Rogue One in particular being chopped to pieces in the cutting room with the protagonist's entire arc exorcised. I wouldn't be surprised if it's usually a hallmark of the suits getting involved and wanting to gently caress around with things for the sake of Making A Contribution.

In Rogue One, at least, it's because they were scared of the movie supporting terrorism and having a terrorist protagonist (when the whole movie is about how insurgents, even if they are "right" have to do dodgy stuff to overcome oppression).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Like blow up a Death Star ?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

euphronius posted:

Like blow up a Death Star ?

Death Star is a military target so they figure it wouldn't bother people. Being actual insurgents responsible for civilian deaths for the greater good is a step too far for them. Half of the recut was making the protagonist explicitly not part of Saws group.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mantis42 posted:

I briefly mixed these two up when it was first announced and was very disappointed. There were already Raid people in Force Awakens I know there'll never be a hard R Star Wars product but even with just PG-13 blasters and martial arts a Gareth Evans Star Wars thing would rule

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Darko posted:

In Rogue One, at least, it's because they were scared of the movie supporting terrorism and having a terrorist protagonist (when the whole movie is about how insurgents, even if they are "right" have to do dodgy stuff to overcome oppression).

If they were that squeamish (and I believe that they were) it raises the question of why they signed off to begin with on a script that sets a lot of the action on an Imperial-occupied (read: American-occupied) Jedi Mecca. It’s not subtle coding.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Jerkface posted:

There are articles about the shows creation where Rodriguez was editing all the scenes ON SET while filming because they didnt know if COVID was ever gonna shut them down. It said he was showing "finished" scenes to Favreu & Kennedy the day they were shot.

This may explain something to do with how the show ended up cut together. Though obviously the structure of the episodes probably came much later.

This is so frustrating to read because you know it was just because Disney was like, it must be released on this day and this day only no later and that's like the soul reason it sucked rear end. They were still filming Mandalorian season 2 in like March 2020 and somehow that was fuckin' awesome and looked incredible.

What I don't get though is like, for a streaming service what is the incentive of rushing poo poo? No one who signed up for D+ for Star Wars is going to be like "oh god what the gently caress there's no new Star Wars content until three months later when Obi-Wan comes out I am CANCELLING my subscription!!!"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nah, I think Disney's goal is to have something new out for Star Wars, Marvel and Disney/Pixar fans every month - or as close to every month as possible. People do unsub from these services and wait for the next big content drop to resub, and they want to minimise the number of people doing that - so they do what it takes to avoid a gap in the schedule.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

General Dog posted:

If they were that squeamish (and I believe that they were) it raises the question of why they signed off to begin with on a script that sets a lot of the action on an Imperial-occupied (read: American-occupied) Jedi Mecca. It’s not subtle coding.

Im sure execs are bad at reading scripts and didn't "get it" until they saw footage and were like "HOLD ON!"

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

quote:

“I usually avoid premier properties — you’ll never be able to please everybody, it’s a losing game,” Rodriguez says. “I’d rather go do something I’ve created so nobody can say, ‘Hey, that’s wrong because …’ I created it, so it can be anything I want it to be. I love that freedom. That changed with Boba because he was a character that was always underserved. It was a character way more popular than he should have been, based on [his limited screen time]. So it’s almost like starting with an original character. You can kind of do anything you want, so long as you make him cool and don’t make him a buffoon.”

This is a funny comment in hindsight.

quote:

If the Book of Boba Fett teaser trailers released so far seem a bit less than epic, it’s due to a deliberate act of restraint: The producers have only revealed footage from the seven-episode season’s opening minutes. “We can’t use the second half of the first episode because it gives so much away,” Rodriguez says. But the basics are that Boba and his assassin partner Fennec Shand (Ming-Na Wen) have taken over Jabba the Hutt’s palace on Tatooine, a move that sends them on a journey into the previously unseen Star Wars underworld of crime families.

This ended up being a massive lie, everyone was so hyped because it looked like all the crime lord setup stuff was contained in the first episode. Boba was gonna take over poo poo, get in a parkour chase, hunt down the mayor, call the heads of the other families to the table. And the second half of episode 1 was going to reveal the ultimate conflict. Is this just a promotional lie or did they chop up all the episodes afterwards and re-edit/order the series around the flashbacks?

quote:

Filming for The Book of Boba Fett began in late November 2020, right in the middle of the pandemic, which played to Rodriguez’s strengths as an indie filmmaker accustomed to plowing forward and improvising amid uncertain conditions. “I came out of the gate firing away — ‘Let’s shoot, shoot, shoot because we might not be here next week, we might get shut down,'” he says. “But we never got shut down. So I was showing sequences already edited to Jon and Dave after the first three weeks, and they were like, ‘I can’t believe how much you shot already.’ We kept shooting every day like it was going to be our last day.”

This is the quote I referenced. Maybe BOBF could have benefited not shooting for speed.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/robert-rodriguez-interview-book-of-boba-fett-star-wars-1235062364/

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Darko posted:

Death Star is a military target so they figure it wouldn't bother people. Being actual insurgents responsible for civilian deaths for the greater good is a step too far for them. Half of the recut was making the protagonist explicitly not part of Saws group.

Hmm. I see your point but that is a very confusing background of ideas I guess.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

General Dog posted:

It's possible that they didn't. Longtime Star Wars VFX Supervisor John Knoll pitched the original idea for the movie to Kathleen Kennedy, but apparently the idea to add Saw's faction as a group of extremist Rebels only happened once Gareth Edwards came on board.

The original teaser from the 2015 Star Wars convention was apparently supposed to be part of a sequence where Jyn had to travel up-river to find Saw like he was Colonel Kurtz, and the planet was more inspired by Nazi-occupied France (early in development it was known as Mimban). The decision to turn it into a holy site seemingly only happened when script no longer had Jyn's mom as a Jedi, but they wanted to keep some connection to the Force in the movie, and redesigned the planet to be more Mecca-like.

So you have all these different ideas in isolation that kind of work when you're working on different parts of the movie months apart from each other, but when you finally get into the editing room and start putting everything together you realize "oh poo poo, we kind of turned the Rebels into the Taliban."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Robot Style posted:

So you have all these different ideas in isolation that kind of work when you're working on different parts of the movie months apart from each other, but when you finally get into the editing room and start putting everything together you realize "oh poo poo, we kind of turned the Rebels into the Taliban."

Whoops!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Robot Style posted:

I mean, isn't that basically the Onderon arc in TCW, given that Saw then went on to be far more radical/brutal with his Partisan squad against the Empire?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

The rebellion was always anti-American, Disney just doesn’t want to carry that theme forward for mysterious reasons

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

I mean, isn't that basically the Onderon arc in TCW, given that Saw then went on to be far more radical/brutal with his Partisan squad against the Empire?

Yep - that was why the story group suggested using him in the first place. But I think actually seeing everything play out might have gone further than the studio was really expecting based on the initial pitches from Knoll.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

It didn't look as explicitly Middle Eastern though, and it was pre-Disney, and it was an animated series quietly airing on cable with basically no mainstream reach.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, Clone Wars was just whatever Lucas and Filoni wanted to do. Disney is just a different animal that cares way more about appeasing everyone at once.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

AdmiralViscen posted:

The rebellion was always anti-American, Disney just doesn’t want to carry that theme forward for mysterious reasons

Speaking of which: I don’t know how controversial this assertion might be, but the Star Wars Holiday Special actually kinda owns???

Like, yes, the skits are godawful - but the Jefferson Starship song and the Boba Fett cartoon are dope, and the overall narrative mixes straightforward antifascism with an interesting meta-text about entertainment and propaganda.

Chewbacca’s wife being kept at gunpoint while the troops raid their suburban home is some pretty visceral stuff.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The chef droid in the episode where they raid Jabba's Bib's palace should have been Gormaanda having fallen on some hard times now that the Empire isn't around to fund their cooking show.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Speaking of which: I don’t know how controversial this assertion might be, but the Star Wars Holiday Special actually kinda owns???

Like, yes, the skits are godawful - but the Jefferson Starship song and the Boba Fett cartoon are dope, and the overall narrative mixes straightforward antifascism with an interesting meta-text about entertainment and propaganda.

Chewbacca’s wife being kept at gunpoint while the troops raid their suburban home is some pretty visceral stuff.

While I getcha, you may need to consider that you are insane.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

It's certainly a distinctive experience. Seeing coked-out Carrie Fisher sing the Star Wars theme is uniquely despair inducing. The concept of doing a suburban sitcom featuring an all-alien cast speaking entirely in an alien language without subtitles is an interesting concept, but maybe not so interesting in practice. Jettster's Diner is a much more effective way of asserting the cosmic universality of 50s Americana.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ghost Leviathan posted:

While I getcha, you may need to consider that you are insane.

I was concerned myself, but I had to confirm my suspicions that Boba Show really is the worst thing in the franchise thus far.

pospysyl posted:

The concept of doing a suburban sitcom featuring an all-alien cast speaking entirely in an alien language without subtitles is an interesting concept, but maybe not so interesting in practice.

Holiday Special's a banal sitcom in the first third, but then the sitcom gets occupied by space nazis and it's like "oh gently caress; these people might die'. It's like an episode of Everybody Love Raymond turned home-invasion thriller. And then the Leia song is explicitly antifascist, but with the frisson of cultural appropriation of this Wookiee holiday (of which we ultimately know nothing) by the Rebel Alliance. After the original film, I don't think any other live-action Star Wars is as explicit about why the Empire sucks. And then they kill a cop & hide the body.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'll give it that Lucas-era Star Wars is sometimes bad but at least interesting. And unfortunately so given even black-and-white morality is apparently too dangerously nuanced for Disney.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
10 Years Ago: Lucas has the worst Star Wars ideas

2 Years Ago: Disney has the worst Star Wars ideas

Now: actually no, there is so much worse

https://twitter.com/DistantLaugh/status/1493423802063241218

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Today, Kyle Newman is a writer on the show.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

The United States posted:

10 Years Ago: Lucas has the worst Star Wars ideas

2 Years Ago: Disney has the worst Star Wars ideas

Now: actually no, there is so much worse

https://twitter.com/DistantLaugh/status/1493423802063241218

lol, way to piss everyone off

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Considering Rey is an alien, maybe that is how sex works for them ?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What, some rando called Shmi gets to have an immaculate conception but Rey can't? Bullshit.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Leave it to Star Wars fans to champion procreation without copulation.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I swear I heard about the immaculate conception thing before and it does seem like something they wrote/shot TRoS around before someone went 'what the literal christ' and made them cut it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

euphronius posted:

Considering Rey is an alien, maybe that is how sex works for them ?

She must be a Finder like Jesse Ventura's old partner Secondus in the film Abraxas: Guardian of the Universe