Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/loogunda/status/1495712958294409221?t=6YVuGfAHGLzjlYv0v1ktzA&s=19

Rus propaganda last week feels like total amateur hour which is... hopeful? That means there is no coherent narrative playbook from the top until Ukrainians gently caress up for real and the random false flags so far are cheap improv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

^ :laffo:

https://www.politico.eu/article/russia-sanction-international-financial-markets-ukraine-von-der-leyen/

quote:

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen warned Sunday evening that Russia would “in principle be cut off from the international financial markets” and would be denied access to major exporting goods if it attacks Ukraine.

Disclosing details of sanctions the EU is preparing, von der Leyen told Germany’s ARD public television that measures would hit “all goods we make that Russia urgently needs to modernize and diversify its economy, where we are globally dominant and they have no replacement.”

Despite Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy’s plea Saturday for immediate sanctions from the U.S., Von der Leyen said that the EU wouldn’t impose penalties until Russia strikes. “The move to sanctions is so enormous and consequential that we know we must always give Russia a chance to return to diplomacy and the negotiating table,” she said. “This window is still open.”

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

Rus propaganda last week feels like total amateur hour which is... hopeful? That means there is no coherent narrative playbook from the top until Ukrainians gently caress up for real and the random false flags so far are cheap improv.

No, Russian propaganda is always terrible. The problem is it's also quite effective within Russia - most people still get their news from the TV and the only stuff on the airwaves is pushing the Kremlin line.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Credit where it’s due to Ukrainian munitions, all these explosions and not a single casualty. Including when they “utterly obliterated a border guard site”.

Edit: Here’s the supposed site

https://twitter.com/ntvru/status/1495701196652302341

RIP cardboard "border checkpoint" in the middle of the woods, 2022-2022

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Alchenar posted:

No, Russian propaganda is always terrible. The problem is it's also quite effective within Russia - most people still get their news from the TV and the only stuff on the airwaves is pushing the Kremlin line.

It's also effective outside Russia, because 40-50% of people are even worse than the propaganda. I think Russian propaganda arm may operate on the same principles as the scammers who send Nigerian prince emails.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

RIP cardboard "border checkpoint" in the middle of the woods, 2022-2022

I crossed the border near Lugansk in 2008. It was a muddy patch in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by high fences and a gate at each end with a few small buildings made of cinderblocks and the kind of thin plywood used in old mobile homes. I had to bribe the Ukrainian side like $20 to let me out and the Russian side a pack of Marlboros to let me in. The landscape was pretty similar to what's in that video but the infrastructure was far more built up (which isn't saying much). There was at least a road, gates, fences, and so on. It felt like a set from a low-budget 80s or 90s action movie.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Smeef posted:

I crossed the border near Lugansk in 2008. It was a muddy patch in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by high fences and a gate at each end with a few small buildings made of cinderblocks and the kind of thin plywood used in old mobile homes. I had to bribe the Ukrainian side like $20 to let me out and the Russian side a pack of Marlboros to let me in. The landscape was pretty similar to what's in that video but the infrastructure was far more built up (which isn't saying much). There was at least a road, gates, fences, and so on. It felt like a set from a low-budget 80s or 90s action movie.

This whole thing feel like an 80s movie to be honest.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Smeef posted:

This forum has wayyy less comedy gold than it used to, but this post definitely brings back the old laughs from SA. I got such a good mental image from reading this. Possibly a largely inaccurate mental image, but I like it anyway.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Majorian posted:

Do you have evidence that they literally created concentration camps in Crimea in 2014? Because that's what the letter says they're going to do in Ukraine once they occupy the country.

Look up Izolyatsia, Donetsk. It can be called a "camp" --- a torture camp.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

In fairness it's really difficult to tell the difference between a regular Russian prison and something that's intended to be a torture camp.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1495742010552111109?t=x1iWht6N6DEPmYq9TdTHYA&s=19

RIA is continuing to strain credulity here. Those Ukrainian drivers picked a bad time to mount a daring rescue mission!

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Generation Internet posted:

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1495742010552111109?t=x1iWht6N6DEPmYq9TdTHYA&s=19

RIA is continuing to strain credulity here. Those Ukrainian drivers picked a bad time to mount a daring rescue mission!

The fact that this statement is coming from the Russian Army itself is a major escalation.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Russian military claims to have killed 5 Ukrainian saboteurs inside Russian borders. They are moving this to direct Russia-Ukraine confrontations

Also, DNR has officially requested Russian military aid due to the dire situation lmao. Guess they got overwhelmed by their own artillery fire

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
If only Russia had joined Nato in the 1990s they wouldn't have to be facing this Ukrainian onslaught all by themselves :ohdear:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Alchenar posted:

I wish I could find the article or interview but NPR interviewed an American who goes onto Russian state media to be the guy whose constantly saying, actually none of this is true and he says the way Russian media works is they basically flood with their points, let you make your point and then have someone shout you down or move on quickly from you. Essentially, its just a cacophony that only allows Kremlin based media points breathe. And of course the only talk of the United States is when bad things happen.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

GABA ghoul posted:

Russian military claims to have killed 5 Ukrainian saboteurs inside Russian borders. They are moving this to direct Russia-Ukraine confrontations

Also, DNR has officially requested Russian military aid due to the dire situation lmao. Guess they got overwhelmed by their own artillery fire

Yeah this is the most concerning part.

https://twitter.com/NeilPHauer/status/1495726123686191106?t=l3HN2vfWiv8B2zUJHspxMA&s=19

Really feels like the final pieces of the justification.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Remember, Russia officially recognises DNR and LNR as Ukrainian territories.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/oalexanderdk/status/1495739491813928966
Incredible.

Believable or not, Russian military speaking here is a major escalation in gravity of accusations, although the day is not off to a great start with the FSB accusation already.

Edit: Full length Interfax article on the border incursion claim https://www.interfax.ru/russia/823442

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 21, 2022

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lmao, proclick if I ever saw one. I can't stop laughing at this, it's even below highschool play level

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

GABA ghoul posted:

Lmao, proclick if I ever saw one. I can't stop laughing at this, it's even below highschool play level

Donetskii Amateur Dramatic Society DADS presents a special version of "Come and See". Premiers soon, reserve your tickets before they sell out!

I'm not sure that this isn't a trollolol, it's just so bad. Is there proof that the actual DPR accounts have posted it? :psyduck:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Nenonen posted:

Donetskii Amateur Dramatic Society DADS presents a special version of "Come and See". Premiers soon, reserve your tickets before they sell out!

I'm not sure that this isn't a trollolol, it's just so bad. Is there proof that the actual DPR accounts have posted it? :psyduck:

Yeah, I would go with out of context or troll too. This can't be serious. My first thought was actually civil defense/first aid exercise, but it's at night in bumfuck nowhere so probably not

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
President Zelensky was quoted by the DPR Press Agency as saying "Somebody had to take Putin home and I noticed he was sitting on HIS SWEET ROSTOV so I grab his SWEET ROSTOV. Oh, just thinking about his SWEET ROSTOV I wish I had his SWEESWEESWEET ROSTOV"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
They've already removed the video. It look like some Ukrainians sent it to them as a prank, and journalistic standards in LDNR are understandably very low.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

President Zelensky was quoted by the DPR Press Agency as saying "Somebody had to take Putin home and I noticed he was sitting on HIS SWEET ROSTOV so I grab his SWEET ROSTOV. Oh, just thinking about his SWEET ROSTOV I wish I had his SWEESWEESWEET ROSTOV"

Mr. Zelensky, you admit to wanting ROSTOV.
Your silence only incriminates you further.
Mr. Zelensky why are you attacking autonomous Donbas?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

They've already removed the video. It look like some Ukrainians sent it to them as a prank, and journalistic standards in LDNR are understandably very low.

Haha, I see. I just finally found the “reporter” this is supposed to originate from, and wanted to post that I couldn’t find the video on his Telegram channel. Probably still spreading elsewhere though.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ukraine v Russia: Mr. Zelensky why are you attacking autonomous Donbas?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Need a photoshopped image of the guy missing his false leg with WE WILL REBUILD added to it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's been know for a while, but obviously got some additional traction lately. Prior to becoming the glorious leader of Donbas freedom fighters, Denis Pushilin was deeply involved in the MMM pyramid scheme. No, not during the 90s, when millions of struggling ex-USSR citizens got duped out of their savings, and Mavrodi, its founder, got gaoled. It was during MMM's resurgence in 2010s, right before the 2014 events. Pushilin was even in the MMM party (there's a loophole in Ukrainian laws that allows you to essentially buy an existing party, rename it, and you don't have to go through the required registration process).

Shilling Pushilin.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Feb 21, 2022

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1495758932056412164

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

If you get too close the Polonium tea deploys itself.

I also love that they are just sitting in chairs setup for the purpose with no desks, like kids in trouble at the principals office.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

He did claim earlier in the meeting that Biden did float a hypothetical moratorium over Ukraine’s NATO membership to him. https://t.me/rian_ru/146886

Edit: Someone at RIA is getting toilet duty

https://twitter.com/liveuamap/status/1495754744983339015

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 21, 2022

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Listening to this shitshow in the background and it's pretty hilarious. It's basically organized like a trial against NATO/Ukraine where every stammering halfwit in the government gets on the witness stands and tells his story and Putin sits in the middle on the throne and questions/heckles them or reminds them to get back on script. Jfc, I think the verdict of this show trial is pretty obvious

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
And yet SOMEHOW this will be America's fault according to 20% of this board.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1495768651013754887

certainly all sounds like a show to justify an oncoming war, but i guess nothing's for sure yet

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Putin will be defeated in the end by his newly developed fear of people coming within 60 feet of him creating memes that undermine his buff strongman persona

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Did you know: Ukraine is closer to having and being able to use nuclear weapons than North Korea

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Quite a few of those Security Council members look like they badly need a wee but are too afraid to ask permission to go.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1495768613462155266

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Conspiratiorist posted:

There's the cost associated in deploying troops, particularly reservists. Loss in fuel spent as well as from being taken out of depot conditions, and same goes for vehicles, equipment, and ammo, a lot of which is hard to replace or irreplaceable.

I never did tally it but the cost of having the dudes drive from point A to point B and sit on their rear end in the loving Winter for 4 months is going to cause the Russian military procurement problems for years, and that's without getting into the economic damage Russia suffered itself from market war panics, or the domestic optics of withdrawing after getting this far into banging into the "Donbas is being genocided" drum for a couple months.

All for... what concessions? Russia opened with non-starters, nothing has been fruitful, and the deployment window is being stretched thin due to the wear and tear both on the troops and aforementioned equipment degradation.

I don't really understand the couple of posts you've made on this topic. Like, I understand that there's a maintenance cost on equipment, and that expendable supplies like munitions, food, and fuel have a cost associated with them as well. But I don't understand why this would cause multi-year procurement issues. Besides consumables, what is getting abandoned? If you brought 160,000 troops to your own border in trucks and tanks, couldn't those same 160,000 troops just, you know, drive them back (minus the trucks your soldiers traded for loaves of bread and iPhones)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Putin will be defeated in the end by his newly developed fear of people coming within 60 feet of him creating memes that undermine his buff strongman persona

Nah he’s really close but just really small. If you came upon him in a salt flat or somewhere without anything for reference you’d bump into him because you’d think he’s farther away.