Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

OwlFancier posted:

They also take pretty heavy damage from archers too, they are not, really, very threatening if you have anything that can actually attack them, they just take up attention.

Yeah towers are honestly not really major considerations in minor settlement battles imo. They're either completely ignorable or destructable, with only a few exceptions(mostly skaven settlements which have areas where 5+ towers have LOS on a lane). The AI will also always spam whatever the lowest tier one is rather than sticking the high tier ones down, as far as I've seen, so they always do tickle damage(well except for Nurgle's t1 towers, which are terrifying).

canada jezus posted:

I've won the confed race, which is why suddenly i'm losing three wars to chaos at once. I feel like i want way more armies than my economy can afford. Once i'm done with this campaign the empire is getting annexed though. Same with the dwarfs.

This is what I was talking about with kossar spam earlier. You need so many damned armies as Kislev just to keep Kislev intact that you'd best get used to spamming T1 archers because that's what you can afford!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I see people asking about alt-tab: what worked for me was switching the game to windowed, and using windows key instead of alt-tab. Otherwise it felt like the game started leaking memory, or tend to crash at one of attempts, even with windowed.
I'm having a blast as Nurgle, took me a while to start bringing 2 stacks to all significant siege battles. I wish I had any kind of artillery beside Soulgrinders, but I just tend to play them similarly to Vampire Counts. Thankfully fliers are pretty decent.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I've not yet confederated the faction that owns Erengrad in my Kislev run, I'm going to wait to see if a patch that fixes the lord upkeep bug is on the very near horizon because that's probably a decent part of people having enough problems that you can only field Kossar stacks, which I stilll don't buy.
The big cities have very good garrisons, and you should almost certainly develop at least the oblast settlement nearest your frontier into one with a big garrison as well. I've also found that the invocation of Ursun for the attrition, the commandment that reduces enemy movement speed and a frost maiden specialized to assault units together work really well to grind down invaders without necessarily needing to have an army in the immediate vicinity.
Also, running a deficit when you are fighting battles all time isn't that much of a big deal IMO, post-battle loot can go a long way towards supporting your war effort.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
People keep talking about this upkeep bug. But I have yet to have it happen to me.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Third World Reagan posted:

People keep talking about this upkeep bug. But I have yet to have it happen to me.

It is confirmed by CA though. It's hard to strictly notice because it's not displayed anywhere but what happens is that as intended each army you field is supposed to increase your total upkeep costs by 2%. How it actually ends up working due to the bug is that each lord recruited, whether or not the lord is in the field or not, increases total upkeep by 2%, and if you redeploy them I think it's actually applied again. With that it's not actually much of an issue unless you confederate an AI faction who's recruited a bunch of lords, which they'll often end up doing if pressured.

So if any of that appleis to you, you've experienced it, but you may not have thought about it happening, and even if you had confederated a faction you'd mostly just be a bit annoyed (without really knowing why) that your economy might be doing a bit worse or only marginally better than before the confederation even if you disband all their armies and agents.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i've definitely got the upkeep bug too, which is part of why i've been running a low deficit for 80% of the campaign and the 'get your income up' and 'reduce army maintenance' quests have been flashing since like turn 10 lol. greasus makes insane amount of money though, which is another reason why OK are really good for enjoying this launch version of the game imo

e: i'm also pretty sure that none of the upkeep reduction skills are working but i haven't checked that properly

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

gently caress the realm of Tzeentch.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Kanos posted:

This is what I was talking about with kossar spam earlier. You need so many damned armies as Kislev just to keep Kislev intact that you'd best get used to spamming T1 archers because that's what you can afford!

I ended up just gifting the brotherhood the entire northern province. Brotherhood up north, hosed up the vampires to the south (although manfred is in his castle with a full stack and I can't afford to take another army down to rush it yet). Karak Kadrin to the east is pushing out pretty well. I'm kind of dreading winning the political race and might just give that entire province to the enclave.

That leaves me with Hell Pit, Praag, kislev, Eastern Oblast, The mountains east of that and the first skaven area as provinces. My allies are all pushing out everywhere else. It's kinda nice, actually. Now I just wish the campaign would speed up because Elsa kinda murders everything effortlessly now.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Randarkman posted:

It is confirmed by CA though. It's hard to strictly notice because it's not displayed anywhere but what happens is that as intended each army you field is supposed to increase your total upkeep costs by 2%. How it actually ends up working due to the bug is that each lord recruited, whether or not the lord is in the field or not, increases total upkeep by 2%, and if you redeploy them I think it's actually applied again. With that it's not actually much of an issue unless you confederate an AI faction who's recruited a bunch of lords, which they'll often end up doing if pressured.

So if any of that appleis to you, you've experienced it, but you may not have thought about it happening, and even if you had confederated a faction you'd mostly just be a bit annoyed (without really knowing why) that your economy might be doing a bit worse or only marginally better than before the confederation even if you disband all their armies and agents.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the UI displays what the correct income values WOULD be, but the bug makes that a lie. You're still being taxed by supply lines regardless of what the UI says. It's weird.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kanos posted:

Yeah towers are honestly not really major considerations in minor settlement battles imo. They're either completely ignorable or destructable, with only a few exceptions(mostly skaven settlements which have areas where 5+ towers have LOS on a lane). The AI will also always spam whatever the lowest tier one is rather than sticking the high tier ones down, as far as I've seen, so they always do tickle damage(well except for Nurgle's t1 towers, which are terrifying).

Their range, accuracy, and single target damage does make them good at destroying artillery and war machines however, especially cathay balloons, so you do need to keep them down, so if anything they are a particular combination of annoying and not very meaningful. Also you want to destroy them to get the AI to waste their supplies so they don't spend them on barricades or leveling up the towers to something dangerous.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Just checking into this thread, judging from the last few pages I'm not the only one who has issues with the rifts?
I can't tell if I'm supposed to prioritize sending an army in there as soon as they appear the first time because I almost always get krumped at the current tech/stack makeup if I do go in, or if I should close them and focus on reuniting own provinces first (especially as Cathay)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

OwlFancier posted:

Their range, accuracy, and single target damage does make them good at destroying artillery and war machines however, especially cathay balloons, so you do need to keep them down, so if anything they are a particular combination of annoying and not very meaningful. Also you want to destroy them to get the AI to waste their supplies so they don't spend them on barricades or leveling up the towers to something dangerous.

Playing as Cathay I just ended up completely butchering the towers/walls with three of their great cannons. They're incredibly strong and I wouldn't sleep on them. Three cannons would destroy entire wall towers/walls/makeshift towers in one volley and they have enough ammo to do this the entire siege.

Also I found a use for cav, which was just "chase down fleeing units so they don't come back" and "get in the way of the monster units as a sacrifice while my ranged actually shoots them". Aside fro that yeah, cav is still too anemic to do anything.

Fishstick posted:

Just checking into this thread, judging from the last few pages I'm not the only one who has issues with the rifts?
I can't tell if I'm supposed to prioritize sending an army in there as soon as they appear the first time because I almost always get krumped at the current tech/stack makeup if I do go in, or if I should close them and focus on reuniting own provinces first (especially as Cathay)

If you have a full stack you should be able to autoresolve/replenish most battles. Remember you can also use global recruitment in there so if you're in say, nurgles place you can just encamp move everywhere. With some of the global recruitment buffs some factions get you can just disband/merge units and get some then next turn. With battle loot being so massive they basically pay for the upkeep of the army + replacements while you're in there.

E: TL;DR? Fight more. Fight a lot more. Fighting should pay for your armies upkeep entirely. Fighting and trade with people around you will absolutely keep you afloat.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Feb 21, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Re: kislev economy wise I also mostly ended up running kossars for about 60-70% of the two armies I fielded, and normal ones too, not spears. I captured half of the northern woods, praag, the eastern oblast, hell pit and a couple of undeveloped sections of the northern tip of the worlds edge mountains. Kislev just doesn't really have very good economy, a fully upgraded oblast region will only output 350 gold by default which pays for like, 2-3 kossars, and their territory is very spread out, and actually getting a region that developed takes many thousands of gold invested.

You are probably spending all your war gold on trying to develop the provinces and you really desperately need to try and lock down some borders, you also probably need to build churches too and your lords have a higher recruit cost. Once you have borders established you really, IMO, need to spend a slot on the defences because you will never have enough armies to secure all the fronts, best you can hope for is minimizing the number of settlements you need to turn into forts.

dogstile posted:

Playing as Cathay I just ended up completely butchering the towers/walls with three of their great cannons. They're incredibly strong and I wouldn't sleep on them. Three cannons would destroy entire wall towers/walls/makeshift towers in one volley and they have enough ammo to do this the entire siege.

Also I found a use for cav, which was just "chase down fleeing units so they don't come back" and "get in the way of the monster units as a sacrifice while my ranged actually shoots them". Aside fro that yeah, cav is still too anemic to do anything.

If you have a full stack you should be able to autoresolve/replenish most battles. Remember you can also use global recruitment in there so if you're in say, nurgles place you can just encamp move everywhere. With some of the global recruitment buffs some factions get you can just disband/merge units and get some then next turn. With battle loot being so massive they basically pay for the upkeep of the army + replacements while you're in there.

Oh yes they do do that, like I said they're easy to destroy, the issue is that if you don't notice one and have brought your artillery or balloons up to support the attack, then it's very easy to get them sniped, so you really do need to pay attention to them even if they aren't a particular threat to most of your units and destroying them is trivial.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, i don't like how quickly the AI seems to be able to rebuild towers. On the plus side it's pretty happy to basically attack you at the walls once you take them, so if you can get an initial foothold in it'll basically kill itself trying to get you out again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The other big thing with kislev is that unlike, say, TW2 empire, they don't have a special province capital that gives them +income for the whole province. I think these were cut full stop for TW3 but it does mean that all factions seem to have a lot less money to work with when they start out and are more reliant on loot income.

Also no ports either unless you start in the west, and then you don't get a city either so lmao.

dogstile posted:

Yeah, i don't like how quickly the AI seems to be able to rebuild towers. On the plus side it's pretty happy to basically attack you at the walls once you take them, so if you can get an initial foothold in it'll basically kill itself trying to get you out again.

I actually think I noticed them drawing back and establishing a new line, but I defeated so much of their army to take the walls that they were basically on the verge of breaking anyway.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Feb 21, 2022

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

The other big thing with kislev is that unlike, say, TW2 empire, they don't have a special province capital that gives them +income for the whole province. I think these were cut full stop for TW3 but it does mean that all factions seem to have a lot less money to work with when they start out and are more reliant on loot income.

Both Cathay and Kislev have buildings that increase the income of buildings in that province.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Kislev's province is er, Kislev. So it doesn't really count for much :v:

Is there a way to trade a province without it costing like, 80,000 gold? Zhufbar have a Drakenholf province and I really don't want to murder them for it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Randarkman posted:

Both Cathay and Kislev have buildings that increase the income of buildings in that province.

Altdorf gives between 30 and 50% bonus income to the entire province of reikland, and between 15 and 25% bonus income to all adjacent provinces, dependant purely on the settlement level. Kislev has a separate building chain that gives kislev itself between 12 and 20% bonus income, and only starts at level 3 if you build that building.

It does have the market, which I suppose is loosely analogous to altdorf's port, but overall the actual development of kislev's land is far, far worse than the starting position of the empire, or most other civlization capitals in the TW2 world as the altdorf buffs are standard for major capital cities in the TW2 map, their province and the surrounding provinces all benefit from significant income buffs as the capital levels up, kislev has nothing of the sort. Neither does Nan-Gau.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 21, 2022

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The reinforcements being on a timer is a really good change!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Altdorf gives between 30 and 50% bonus income to the entire province of reikland, and between 15 and 25% bonus income to all adjacent provinces, dependant purely on the settlement level. Kislev has a separate building chain that gives kislev itself between 12 and 20% bonus income, and only starts at level 3 if you build that building.

It does have the market, which I suppose is loosely analogous to altdorf's port, but overall the actual development of kislev's land is far, far worse than the starting position of the empire, or most other civlization capitals in the TW2 world as the altdorf buffs are standard for major capital cities in the TW2 map, their province and the surrounding provinces all benefit from significant income buffs as the capital levels up, kislev has nothing of the sort. Neither does Nan-Gau.

Cathay has Yin/Yang buildings that you can build that boost the income of all buildings in that province, and you can build 1 of those in each of a province's settlement if you wish, it's possible that the cumulative effect is not as great as the ones you mention, but saying that there are no buildings that boost up income from other buildings in a province is false. Another thing Kislev economy has going for it is that you can produce fur in any region if you wish by building the animal pens recruitment building. Combine with the boosts to trade income from Kislev itself and from some techs and it actually nets you a decent income, though not really amazing far as I have seen yet.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Was there a way to disable the chaos portals? It's frustrating having to dislodge my main lord from the regular campaign map because he has to enter portals all the time

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There are no buildings that give you free, automatic boosts of a significant magnitude at the start of the game to a wide number of settlements. Literally every settlement anywhere near the starting position for the empire will give you significantly more income than it lists because of being near the capital.

Cathay has a building that gives you maybe 50 gold extra from percentage boosts if you build it in a fully developed region, and you have to build it in every region you want it to affect, it's only worth building if you run out of other economic buildings to build, that is the point I was making, the faction capital buffs were cut.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Also in case you missed it, for the realm of Tzeentch, whenever you defeat an army in there you get a new option in the resolution screen to reveal teleport locations. I never noticed it before and it helps a lot. So basically go in there and start killing everything and walking over teh glowing hotspots to reveal as many portal combinations as possible until you figure out how to get to the center

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I was thinking about it but outside of modding if you didn't want to stress about the chaos portals just warp to the khorne realm everytime it pops up and murder any AI which visits it for the 15 turns.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
There was absolutely a concerted effort to tone down the insane economies of TWW2 in this one. You have less things pulling at your money because supply lines aren't remotely as ludicrous anymore, but no one in TWW2 comes within a thousand miles of the high/dark elf economies or even a fully functioning Skaven economy.

Kislev's economic game is actually very strong by the standards of this game and they mostly struggle financially because they have by far the most "constantly attacked from all sides" campaign.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
People keep saying that CA should have learned their lesson about people not liking narrative campaigns but in wh2 after the vortex plenty of dlc factions and characters had their own narrative campaigns were very widely praised. The Tomb Kings hunt for the books, Grom and Eltharion, and Vampirates and the Merwyrm. I dont think "we hate narrative campaigns" is the signal the community has been sending for the past couple years. People just hated the Vortex.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Given that it only reveals one half of one link at a time though it's still next to useless, and because the white circles stop you dead for the rest of the turn I think they may be actively detrimental as opposed to just going through them at random because those will at least give you a chance to intercept other factions.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I wish there were more special buildings for different factions. For Nurgle I've found just one, which wasn't that great too. Give me cool stuff for going out of my way and grabbing Praag or Kislev..

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I just save scummed to find the right portals to take. I was playing as Kairos so it felt like something Tzeentch would approve of.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ethiser posted:

I just save scummed to find the right portals to take. I was playing as Kairos so it felt like something Tzeentch would approve of.

The prospect of having to redo about ten turns or so of the campaign is frankly excruciating.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

The prospect of having to redo about ten turns or so of the campaign is frankly excruciating.

There were only like two spots where I had two portals to pick from so I knew after a turn or two if I had gone through the right one.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

OwlFancier posted:

Given that it only reveals one half of one link at a time though it's still next to useless, and because the white circles stop you dead for the rest of the turn I think they may be actively detrimental as opposed to just going through them at random because those will at least give you a chance to intercept other factions.

The best way to approach it is to kill one of the enemy armies on an island and hopefully you'll have enough movement points after to also step over a white circle as well, thus getting 2 reveals / turn...

Though I get a lot of movement bonuses as Skarbrand so maybe its not possible with other lords

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Feb 21, 2022

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Sieges/settlement battles are such a huge improvement. There is a clear objective you can’t afford to ignore, you never have enough resources to ignore it, but neither does the enemy. That forces a lot of decisions and urgency, it’s great. I don’t think they happen too often either, im getting a good mix of battle types. People complain a lot about the towers but trying to attack the towers is a huge waste of time, you have to press past them and cap the points.

Cathayan infantry is really really good. You can take a charge from greenskins and hold the line even with peasants. If you aren’t using heroes and generals (or balloons) to boost your Harmony bonus you are also leaving a lot of value on the table because you can really get up above dwarf stats into like 40ma, 55md territory pretty quickly.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

The last total war game I seriously spent time on was Shogun 2: and I thought the campaign objective of "conquer most of Japan" was pretty good, although they did slip in that bullshit "ReALm DiviDe!" mechanic in the middle of things to foul up the diplomacy. Haven't had the fortitude yet to click begin campaign in the new TW3 game but I have to say slowly painting the map your own color has a certain attraction. Immortal Empires might be my jam though, unless it features vortex + chaos realms + other thing, lol.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Collapsing Farts posted:

The best way to approach it is to kill one of the enemy armies on an island and hopefully you'll have enough movement points after to also step over a white circle as well, thus getting 2 reveals / turn...

Though I get a lot of movement bonuses as Skarbrand so maybe its not possible with other lords

I did that, but I think a better approach would be to kill as many armies as you can and traverse a portal in one turn, as if there is another faction in the realm not on your island, this gives you a better chance to intercept them, as they appear to make a beeline for the correct portals automatically, so stopping them is the most important thing.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The other armies that came to Tzeentch's realm when I went there definitely did not beeline for the correct path, as I could see it since I had been there for a couple of turns already when they started popping in. Had to pass one of them going the opposite way to get there, even

Edit: The Tzeentch "Cause this army to take attrition for one turn" ability is not very useful on higher difficulties with all the attrition reducing stuff the AI gets.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

palindrome posted:

The last total war game I seriously spent time on was Shogun 2: and I thought the campaign objective of "conquer most of Japan" was pretty good, although they did slip in that bullshit "ReALm DiviDe!" mechanic in the middle of things to foul up the diplomacy. Haven't had the fortitude yet to click begin campaign in the new TW3 game but I have to say slowly painting the map your own color has a certain attraction. Immortal Empires might be my jam though, unless it features vortex + chaos realms + other thing, lol.

wasn't the realm divide script called imperium after rome

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I love reinforcements being on a timer. I have twice won battles where my 20stack of beginner bullshit slams into the face of One Guy who had like 3 full stacks reinforcing him, pasting him so hard that the fight instantly ends.

It also makes lightning strike less of a God tier pick. A lot of times you can more less break the back of an enemy position before their reinforcements come in, and that basically means you now are doing a staggered series of battles rather than facing two armies at full force.

Drunken_Pirate
May 7, 2007
I could use some help with managing meat for the Ogre Kingdoms. It feels like I'm missing something. I know I'm supposed to be setting up camps but those are limited, cost upkeep and I pretty quickly outrange them when painting the map. I'm only getting 3-5 meat per battle as Skrag- this seems way too low?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

I cannot for the life of me make any money in WH3. I'm barely holding onto 2 provinces with nurgle and Katarin and 2 armies. Though with Katarin I did manage to get further. I don't know what buildings I need to make money as Kislev to actually have good armies, and nurgle I have no idea for anything.