Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020

Mr Newsman posted:

I don't really care to go through with them anymore after thinking about it.
What kind of factors led you to this decision? Just curious, since you mentioned a bump in pay and a reduction in workload. I have an interview in a couple of days, and my research prior to the interview made me realize I am not interested in working for this company. At all.

Still doing the zoom interview, because the more I do it, the better I'll get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Trickortreat posted:

What kind of factors led you to this decision? Just curious, since you mentioned a bump in pay and a reduction in workload.

Good points taken about practice. That's what I had originally planned to do but I'd rather use my day off to relax. I've been pretty fortunate to get offers every time I've interviewed once I got past the initial post - college entry level positions.

Reduction in workload really seems to be due to reduction in responsibilities. I'd be losing my direct report and probably be further away from leading a group. The positions are looking to be like the one I left before this startup.

Honestly I'm also expecting a baby late June so the thought of being in a new position when that happens feels shortsighted on my end.

Just was grumpy about turnover last week and actually responded to a couple of recruiters on LinkedIn. I'm not in a bad spot really.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Speaking for myself, I would have to feel Really Low and not enjoying my WLB to consider a lateral move for 5%, or any move for 5%. Simply the stress of a new job and having to “prove yourself” to a new group of human beings is worth 5% to me each year. I think the negotiation thread or IT work thread has a general rule of not considering moves for less than 15% bumps, if I’m being honest with myself it’s probably closer to 25%. Obviously not gonna apply to everyone though.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
If other posters ITT are similar, the 5% OP is just throwing out a number, believes they’re currently in the top 50th% of what their level earns, is actually in the bottom 25th% of what current market offer are and will anchor too low when asked for a salary range rather than make them state a number first.

I.E. playing their cards right could be a 50+% pay raise.

I had to lay someone off at one point because we stopped working on a project. No fault of his own he’s only been with me a year. Working for us was a raise. I got him 12 interviews in two weeks, he got a few more of his own, went from below to above 6 figgies, new job was 68% raise. (I also did his resume, advised on comp, etc.)

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 19, 2022

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
I guess I can toss out some numbers and market / background info here.

I just jumped for 30% (100-130k) back in June. I don't have a PhD and my current position is lower end senior scientist level on the Radford Scale. Typically these levels need a PhD and 3-6 years of experience but since I do lab automation stuff. I was able to make the jump with a MSc and 3-5 years of experience (depending on what you count as relevant - I'm 8 years out of school.).

The market is insane right now and even though I got a pretty great bump in June there is some FOMO that I could be doing better.

I've tossed 145 out there for one of my interviews and haven't talked numbers yet in another. I'm anticipating a 5% raise at least this year so that's where my rough 5% came in. It could absolutely be more, or have better ISO/RSU comp, but I'm feeling like I'm pushing the top end of non-PhD salary in biotech R&D.

Most of my non PhD friends are around 100-115 (not automation like me though).

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
I can't believe I didn't think about this earlier, but it occurred to me that during my tenure at my previous job as a clinical associate, I had to head many many different projects, some of which resulted in expansion. Can I add project management as one of my skill sets? Or is that more reserved for people who do it full time? I'd hate to mislead any hiring managers. I've written down clinic management, but project management feels like it'll have a wider reach and I don't want both.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Trickortreat posted:

I can't believe I didn't think about this earlier, but it occurred to me that during my tenure at my previous job as a clinical associate, I had to head many many different projects, some of which resulted in expansion. Can I add project management as one of my skill sets? Or is that more reserved for people who do it full time? I'd hate to mislead any hiring managers. I've written down clinic management, but project management feels like it'll have a wider reach and I don't want both.

Yes, managing projects is the prerequisite to saying you have project management experience. Most people who have that skill never did it full time.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020

Lockback posted:

Yes, managing projects is the prerequisite to saying you have project management experience. Most people who have that skill never did it full time.
Thank you! Plopped that sucker on my resume.

Now for the real hard hitting questions. If I lock my cats out of the room, they will scratch at the door and meow. If they stay, they might derp around and walk into frame and start licking their balls or something. How do y'all handle it?

I will be applying for positions that work fully remote, so maybe the hiring managers will be used to seeing cats? Is that considered unprofessional? More importantly, do I want to work for a company with aggressive anti-feline policies in place?

Edit: Forgot to mention the zoom call would be for a job interview.

Trickortreat fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 20, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Follow normal internet rules and apologize if the cars show up, fully expecting the other party to demand more cat?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, I don't mind small weird slice of life poo poo happening in zoom interviews, that's normal. If the cats are distracting/stressing for you, lock them in a room away from where your call is instead.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

at our organization cats during interview would be a plus for a candidate!

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

I'm having my first brush with recruiters and finding the whole process really weird. I took a redundancy in December and started idly applying for jobs in February and so far have got 3 interviews out of 5 applications which is blowing my mind.

Recruiter 1: added me on LinkedIn, has sent me a really interesting role which is a good fit. Had a good chat about what I'm looking for, she's been incredibly responsive and proactive, and have interview scheduled for Friday. Wasn't expecting anything decent to come out of this so am pleasantly surprised so far.

Recruiters 2 and 3: I applied for two federal government jobs advertised through two different recruitment agencies on LinkedIn. The department wasn't listed on the ads, just a general role description, and I heard back from both recruiters on the same day and it turns out that both applications are for the same job.

Both recruiters 2 and 3 are being super pushy and want me to confirm that only they can represent me and that I haven't applied through any other recruiters. Sure doesn't seem like my problem that the government engaged two different recruiters who wrote two different ads though...

After hearing more about the role and the department, I'm no longer particularly interested, and dealing with pushy recruiters is a real turnoff. I do wonder though if I told them I'd applied through multiple agencies if I could use that to my advantage for them to get me the best deal, but the pay-off for them probably isn't worth it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You should tell them both to go gently caress themselves with a chainsaw and move on with your life.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Jumpsuit posted:

I do wonder though if I told them I'd applied through multiple agencies if I could use that to my advantage for them to get me the best deal, but the pay-off for them probably isn't worth it.

Probably not, it's more of a speed game for them and they don't actually have a ton of sway on the pay rate, particularly if it's a fed job anyway. If you don't want the job I'd just move on because they won't make any kind of interaction pleasant.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Jumpsuit posted:

Both recruiters 2 and 3 are being super pushy and want me to confirm that only they can represent me and that I haven't applied through any other recruiters.
This kind of exclusivity thing is wild to me when recruiters try push it. They're implying that you commit to only accepting jobs that they find for you, so what exactly is the upside for you here? Tell 'em both to gently caress off and do it harshly enough that they never bother you again TBH.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
I thought some of you might be interested to see my first draft of the resume compared to where it stands right now. Sincere thank you to everyone who took the time to answer all of my picky questions. I am sure I'll keep modifying it, but I can say with confidence I have a much better resume now thanks to all of y'alls feedback. Thanks!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
On a similar note regarding recruiters: What do you say when they ask if you're far along for some other position? So far, the 3 or so recruiters that asked I was able to honestly say something like, "I cannot give details, but nothing is particularly far along, so the odds of you wasting your time is not high." But if I do have a position that might work out and is in later stages, I'm not certain what to say. I guess just "I cannot say" or "I'm getting lots of recruiters reaching out and some have come before you, but who knows how it will go in the end?" Obviously for selfish reasons I would like them to not just ignore me in case their opportunity ends up working out, but I also don't want to lie by saying, "No, friendo, you're the only recruiter for me, baby!"

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Mentally define "far along" as "waiting on an offer letter" and reply with "no" unless you're doing that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah, if your absolutely wrapping up a job offer I wouldn't play games just to waste their time. The recruiter is another human being trying to do their job. Otherwise some variation of "I can't really say but I'm not at a point where I think anything has a good chance of panning out" is fine and honestly accurate. Most recruiters have just two speeds anyway, off or on.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Why do so many recruiters want to talk before they send me a loving job description? Is there something I don't understand about this?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Why are recruiters still around in general tbh. Bring that poo poo in house and tighten it up so it's not equivalent to dealing with telemarketers...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

VelociBacon posted:

Why are recruiters still around in general tbh. Bring that poo poo in house and tighten it up so it's not equivalent to dealing with telemarketers...

most companies aren't big enough to employ in house recruiters

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Magnetic North posted:

Why do so many recruiters want to talk before they send me a loving job description? Is there something I don't understand about this?

It's the same answer as above though, tell them to piss off and quit wasting your time. *You* determine how things move forward. You don't have to go out of your way to be a dick, but you have to take an arrogant as hell attitude with these fuckers and never permit them to waste your time.

(This is assuming they initiate contact, obviously if you came to them hat in hand it's different, but... still don't let them treat you disrespectfully)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Magnetic North posted:

I think it's a way of optimising the process of working out what your goals and expectations are via getting you to do it for them rather than sending you a bunch of different jobs and having to intuit why you picked one over another to apply to. It always feels that way at least.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
Had my first scheduled job interview today- It was a bit of a disappointment, though. When I set the appointment time through their portal system, I never received the confirmation email. I reached out last night to get a confirmation for today, and they said everything was in order.

Cue today. When no email came at the time of the appointment, I just figured they were running behind. When I checked my Google calendar (20 minutes past the meeting time at this point), I realized they had added the zoom event link to my Google calendar, but didn't email me a reminder. Like, how was I supposed to know?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Way back when I was funemployed I got a call at about 4PM asking me why I wasn't in an interview that the company had forgotten to tell me about. Given that I was funemployed I'd stayed up all night doing something stupid with friends, so they woke me up and I was :derp: for a few minutes thinking it was my fault. I've also been the only person sitting in an online interview for 30 minutes before one person popped in to tell me they accidentally scheduled client work for everyone that day. :shrug:

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
I got my second interview! :woop: But I have some questions. They gave me a homework assignment. They want me to pick a topic from a list and film a 5 minute video. They mentioned that they would move forward as fast as I am willing, but I want to take my time to give them a quality product. Is there a way to gauge deadlines on these types of assignments? A day? A week? Is there a diplomatic way to ask? Obviously, I'm not going to take a month to finish this, but I am curious about the usual process. I want to move forward as fast as possible, but I also don't want to rush through and butcher everything.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
do not spend more than like, an hour on this

that means you should get it back to them within a couple days max

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
Got it. I will get it done by tomorrow.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Any broad suggestions to the type of end of interview questions to ask a Director-level person? Are they any different than the normal questions to have in advance for a hiring manager? It's for a software developer position, if it matters.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020

Trickortreat posted:

Got it. I will get it done by tomorrow.

On second thought, doesn't sending it in too soon kind of send the message that you're desperate? I don't want to play 4D chess here, but I don't know if I want to start off the potential business relationship by putting my world on hold to get their thing done. I kind of feel like that was the reason I got burnt out at my last career, I don't want to repeat the same mistakes.

Trickortreat fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 24, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

Any broad suggestions to the type of end of interview questions to ask a Director-level person? Are they any different than the normal questions to have in advance for a hiring manager? It's for a software developer position, if it matters.

I think this provides you a good opportunity to demonstrate you're capable of engaging in higher-level discussion around the broad stroke things a director would be dealing with. It can still be very relevant to your role also:

*What are a couple of the biggest challenges you expect the company to experience in the next 5 years?
*What is something the company might expand into next that it isn't currently involved in?
*What weaknesses or vulnerabilities is the company seeking to address in the next few years?
Possibly: *Would you describe the company as having a bottom-up or a top-down model?

I'm not a director but I talk with them several times a week in my organization, I think these questions would go over well in an interview with them.

e: I would look at SWOT analysis type of things and ask questions around those areas.

Trickortreat posted:

On second thought, doesn't sending it in too soon kind of send the message that you're desperate? I don't want to play 4D chess here, but I don't know if I want to start off the potential business relationship by putting my world on hold to get their thing done. I kind of feel like that was the reason I got burnt out at my last career, I don't want to repeat the same mistakes.

This is like saying you don't want to dress up for the interview because what if they expect you to be well dressed in the future etc. I would actually say they probably are keeping track of who submitted when. I'd get that to them pretty quick, quicker than you'd expect to work on stuff once employed by them.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 24, 2022

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020

VelociBacon posted:

This is like saying you don't want to dress up for the interview because what if they expect you to be well dressed in the future etc. I would actually say they probably are keeping track of who submitted when. I'd get that to them pretty quick, quicker than you'd expect to work on stuff once employed by them.
That's a fair point. You're right that that's the wrong type of mindset to approach this. To give you more detail, I got the assignment email yesterday afternoon. I was thinking about sending it in tomorrow afternoon. I feel like if they decide that's not fast enough, I probably wouldn't fit in with the work culture to begin with. At least that's how I was approaching it. I am open to being corrected if I'm thinking about this the wrong way though.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Trickortreat posted:

No. Send it ASAP. They will hire the first strong candidate. 24 hours or less is the correct turn around. There's tremendous value to being front of the line when they're only letting 1 or 2 in the club.

VelociBacon posted:

I think this provides you a good opportunity to demonstrate you're capable of engaging in higher-level discussion around the broad stroke things a director would be dealing with. It can still be very relevant to your role also:

*What are a couple of the biggest challenges you expect the company to experience in the next 5 years?
*What is something the company might expand into next that it isn't currently involved in?
*What weaknesses or vulnerabilities is the company seeking to address in the next few years?
Possibly: *Would you describe the company as having a bottom-up or a top-down model?

I'm not a director but I talk with them several times a week in my organization, I think these questions would go over well in an interview with them.

e: I would look at SWOT analysis type of things and ask questions around those areas.

This advice could backfire IMO. LOL at a SW engineer brining up SWOT analysis. I don't have a good answer for the dude but I do hire SW engineers. You can impress by asking an insightful question, it's good to ask questions, but if you dont really understand what you're asking or don't plan to do anything with my response it is VERY clear to the interviewer and its not a positive note to end on.

That said, questions that enable the interviewer to feel like they can talk through the challenges they face with you are often good. People like to talk about themselves, they like to bitch about work, and it gives you a chance to see how you can help them. If you can help the director have less to bitch about, you're prob getting hired.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 25, 2022

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
That's two people so far who have said the same thing. I'll get it done pronto. Thanks for the advice!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

No. Send it ASAP. They will hire the first strong candidate. 24 hours or less is the correct turn around. There's tremendous value to being front of the line when they're only letting 1 or 2 in the club.

This advice could backfire IMO. LOL at a SW engineer brining up SWOT analysis. I don't have a good answer for the dude but I do hire SW engineers. You can impress by asking an insightful question, it's good to ask questions, but if you dont really understand what you're asking or don't plan to do anything with my response it is VERY clear to the interviewer and its not a positive note to end on.

That said, questions that enable the interviewer to feel like they can talk through the challenges they face with you are often good. People like to talk about themselves, they like to bitch about work, and it gives you a chance to see how you can help them. If you can help the director have less to bitch about, you're prob getting hired.

Yeah I agree with this, I was going to include the disclaimer to not start a conversation you're out of your element in but phone posting and forgot. I wouldn't actually use the term SWOT Analysis but I was hoping OP was going to google it and structure questions around it insofar as they felt comfortable.

Scatsby
Dec 25, 2007

Howdy, everyone. I've been lurking here for the last week or two reading the thread, and while I eventually plan to read the entire thing, I've already read hundreds of very informative posts, for which I am immensely thankful. I'm posting here becuase I find myself in a bit of a weird position.

I'm currently employed at a university, working in a small office that delivers remote foreign language instruction to high-school students. Unfortunately, our biggest client ended up dropping us as a provider, and as a result, our entire office will be shutting down in the next few months. I started working in this office a decade ago as a part-time undergraduate tutor, got promoted to a full-time hourly employee after I graduated, and then became a full-time salaried employee. The initial hiring process for every position was incredibly easy -- I walked into the tutoring job in shorts, a T-shirt, and flip flops and was hired solely based on my language ability and the reccomendation of my professors within 15-30 minutes. Each step up the ladder was similarly easy, since our office is incredibly small and my boss knew that I was easily the most competent employee in the entire office. As a result, I'm nearing 30 and I've never done a proper job hunt or written a resume. And of course, pretty much everyone else in the office is in a very similar position.

Despite my inexerpience, another coworker that I've mentored in the past approached me this week and asked me to critique his resume, since I've been mentioning this thread and how helpful I've found it. (He's heard of SA, but I don't think posts here and almost assuredly didn't read the OP.) Needless to say, the resume was a bit of a doozy and I had a lot of criticism to give him, but given my background, I feel very much like the blind leading the blind here.

I was wondering if it would be acceptable for me to post an anonymized version of his rough draft, as well as my general thoughts on how to improve it. (I'm certainly not planning on doing a line-by-line rewrite for him or anything). A lot of my feedback is straight from the OP, but there are a lot of specific questions that I'm not confident on the answers to. They're also questions I'm planning on asking when I begin to apply places, since he and I have fairly similar histories and share an identical job title, though our duties differ somewhat and I'm definitely the "senior" employee.

I know posting such raw resumes is generally a no-no, but my thought is that if I provide the feedback I give him, it would serve as a sanity check for me and what I've learned ITT and make any holes in my understanding apparent while also allowing him to get solid short-term feedback from people who actually know what they gently caress they're doing. And above all, it hopefully wouldn't be overly burdonsome to the thread's regular posters or poo poo up the thread too much.

If you'd prefer I didn't, that's absolutely fine too. I've got plenty of specific questions that apply to both of us that I can ask instead!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I mean post it, if anyone wants to chime in they will, if they want to ignore it they will.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Scatsby posted:

I know posting such raw resumes is generally a no-no, but my thought is that if I provide the feedback I give him, it would serve as a sanity check for me and what I've learned ITT and make any holes in my understanding apparent while also allowing him to get solid short-term feedback from people who actually know what they gently caress they're doing. And above all, it hopefully wouldn't be overly burdonsome to the thread's regular posters or poo poo up the thread too much.

I dont mind people with horrible resumes, but its tough to give relevant advice to someone when you can't ask them questions. You end up with just the "most of the time its better to ____" type advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

does anyone have good recs for an online resume writing service? I genuinely have no idea how to sell myself and my string of customer service jobs.