Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What's a beginner's strategy for the 3rd boss? In most games when you die to the boss you can redo it right away and that helps with learning patterns and maybe experimenting but it's so brutal to have to go through the entire museum again to get another shot at her :( I feel like I have such a low chance of learning her combos to properly Avoid. To get to her 2nd stage I mostly just ran around and tried timing when the end of her combo string would be to get in a few quick hits and then run away again like a wuss.

Also when I catch her kunais in the 2nd stage are they best kept to fight with or thrown right back in hopes of breaking her guard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lobok posted:

What's a beginner's strategy for the 3rd boss? In most games when you die to the boss you can redo it right away and that helps with learning patterns and maybe experimenting but it's so brutal to have to go through the entire museum again to get another shot at her :(

the elevator key lets you skip directly to her for that reason

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Lobok posted:

Also when I catch her kunais in the 2nd stage are they best kept to fight with or thrown right back in hopes of breaking her guard?

TIL you can catch her kunai...

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oxxidation posted:

the elevator key lets you skip directly to her for that reason

Good to know. Have to beat her first to keep the key.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lobok posted:

Good to know. Have to beat her first to keep the key.

no you don’t. it’s part of your detective board, so it’s preserved between game overs. I was certainly using it

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oxxidation posted:

no you don’t. it’s part of your detective board, so it’s preserved between game overs. I was certainly using it

Hm, could have sworn keys for the club didn't work but I'm happy to be wrong.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Just found out you can trip an enemy by throwing them at a downed enemy. This game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lobok posted:

Hm, could have sworn keys for the club didn't work but I'm happy to be wrong.

the club is weird because there’s two separate card doors. the one you get in the club itself unlocks the shortcuts on the right side of the dance hall. the door on the left side is unlocked by the code you get from Sean’s acolyte on the museum’s third floor (the pink haired girl with the staff)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh good, I must have that one then because I made a point of beating her in order to get the secret move.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
Losing my mind scouring the final level for the last thing for the board, the thing on the bottom right of the middle group.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Goodguy3 posted:

Losing my mind scouring the final level for the last thing for the board, the thing on the bottom right of the middle group.

I was so mad when I finally found it.

It's a newspaper clipping in the reception waiting room, across from the receptionist

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

Tarezax posted:

I was so mad when I finally found it.

It's a newspaper clipping in the reception waiting room, across from the receptionist

Oh for gently caress's sake! Thank you. This game's USUALLY pretty nice about the collectables. I can't believe I missed that! :psyduck:

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

Also, how do I throw enemies off a rail? Every time I have an enemy stunned near a rail and throw them he just hits their head against it instead of throwing them over.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Got the Wude ending at 71. I got to the point of sparing Yang at younger ages twice and hosed them up by reflexively hitting execute, and on my final successful run I should have had him at 63 but he got knocked down by the hit that broke my guard, then got up and dashed out of range and the drat spare prompt timed out while I was frantically trying to get over there and spare him so I had to break his goddamn structure again.

This game has been an utterly delight and will almost certainly be on my GOTY list this year. Very excited to see what sort of post-launch support comes from it, they've mentioned the extra hard and easy modes coming in a future update but I'd love to see extra content like playable bosses!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Lobok posted:

What's a beginner's strategy for the 3rd boss? In most games when you die to the boss you can redo it right away and that helps with learning patterns and maybe experimenting but it's so brutal to have to go through the entire museum again to get another shot at her :( I feel like I have such a low chance of learning her combos to properly Avoid. To get to her 2nd stage I mostly just ran around and tried timing when the end of her combo string would be to get in a few quick hits and then run away again like a wuss.

For 3rd Boss

Phase 1 - You got it, that's the safe strat. Bait her into doing an attack, then stay out of range, and when she's done, dash in and attack, preferably if you have forward, forward heavy for the step in kick. If she does her chase after you while spinning attack, just turn the camera away from her and run (so you can see where you're going), she'll get tired eventually, especially if you put some level geometry in between you two.

The faster strat is to (ideally with a weapon so you don't take chip damage) just stay in her face and try to parry her attacks, then dodge the last attack or few. Generally her strings start with a high or a low, then go back and forth between high and low. The timing is a bit funky though, so as of now I generally advocate the stay out of range strat.

Phase 2 - You have a few options with the kunais. I personally like just tossing them back straight away but it's really up to you. If you hang onto the kunai and block/parry with it, you don't take chip life damage iirc, so if you want to use a defensive strat it might be worth hanging onto it. Her combos are all high attacks so dodging them is easy if you're not confident in parrying them, just make sure you remember that she always does a very delayed drop kick afterwards; I normally try to parry all the hits then dodge the dropkick to gain structure back since she almost always follows with backflip knives. Her long range dash attack does massive damage but you can dodge it, or parry it (when you see the flash, immediately press the button).

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

^burtle posted:

Sparing Sean is giving me greys as I get trapped in his charge, overhand back off loop.

drat scratch that, it all clicked and i cleared the rest right after.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I've gotten all the trophies except the 25 one. I don't think I could possibly do that, it just seems unreasonably punishing considering how tough a few of the encounters are and how hard it is to take out the bosses with no deaths, let alone Yang.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Goodguy3 posted:

Also, how do I throw enemies off a rail? Every time I have an enemy stunned near a rail and throw them he just hits their head against it instead of throwing them over.

Ignore the enemy in your directional input. YOU need to be next to the rail, and you need to do a directional push with your stick pointing toward the rail. It can be tricky but a good place to practice is the stairwell at the start of mission 1. Just stun them with bottles, run next to them, and aim directly into the rail while you are next to the rail. Directional push will grab a nearby valid target and generally there's not more than one available for that.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Lobok posted:

In most games when you die to the boss you can redo it right away and that helps with learning patterns and maybe experimenting but it's so brutal to have to go through the entire museum again to get another shot at her :( I feel like I have such a low chance of learning her combos to properly Avoid. To get to her 2nd stage I mostly just ran around and tried timing when the end of her combo string would be to get in a few quick hits and then run away again like a wuss.

This is why I'm so surprised the training room is so bare bones, why bother even going to the implementing a training room when you can only fight the first enemy there? Considering that the enemies and bosses have different moves and timing I feel like it's a massive missed opportunity to not put them there as soon as you fight them.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

signalnoise posted:

Ignore the enemy in your directional input. YOU need to be next to the rail, and you need to do a directional push with your stick pointing toward the rail. It can be tricky but a good place to practice is the stairwell at the start of mission 1. Just stun them with bottles, run next to them, and aim directly into the rail while you are next to the rail. Directional push will grab a nearby valid target and generally there's not more than one available for that.

To add to this, it doesn't work at all angles too; for instance, if too much of your back is to the rail then you don't get it, you get the head knock instead. It's most consistent if the enemy's back is to the rail, or if your character is parallel to the rail.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

True ending gotten at age 21, I couldn't beat Yang without losing a life in phase 2 and I think i'm happy with that.

Caesar Saladin posted:

I've gotten all the trophies except the 25 one. I don't think I could possibly do that, it just seems unreasonably punishing considering how tough a few of the encounters are and how hard it is to take out the bosses with no deaths, let alone Yang.

Honestly a lot of it is getting the entire middle set of skills loaded up by fighting the artist, boosted parries, extra focus and structure relief really help you go to to town on 1-4

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Trying to get the high score shrine on Museum and man this is not an easy level to do perfectly.

In particular the room with the two fat men on the 3rd floor, and the double kickboxer fight in the rain area. That rain one in particular suuuuucks, as soon as you start throwing punches at one of them the other one will sprint up and start attacking. And since they're constantly switching from sweeps to normals its just a lot to process.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

PantsBandit posted:

Trying to get the high score shrine on Museum and man this is not an easy level to do perfectly.

In particular the room with the two fat men on the 3rd floor, and the double kickboxer fight in the rain area. That rain one in particular suuuuucks, as soon as you start throwing punches at one of them the other one will sprint up and start attacking. And since they're constantly switching from sweeps to normals its just a lot to process.

You can break them up a bit by vaulting over the barriers. And if you can get a good Avoid or Parry in at the end of their string, try Throwing them into the barrier.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

PantsBandit posted:

That is exactly the kind of situation that embracing the slowdowns helps with btw

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Now that I've beaten the game multiple times, I would like to announce I hate Stage 4. Its gimmicks of constant ambushes wouldn't be so bad, if it wasn't filled with geometry where the wall goes up really high and the camera veers wildly mid-move sometimes, blocking your line of sight, and also periodically you just can't see anything clearly because of the bell toll.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Stage 4 is the weakest of them all. Music still slaps tho

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Just got the true ending. The process of getting it was fun and thematically cool but the actual ending left something to be desired imo.

I was hoping for some more wrap-up about Yang and his story. Instead it's just a lesson about letting go which fits with the game but is still a bit underwhelming.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is there a way to drop a weapon or do I just have to tank a big hit? For the final boss, I would like to bring a long staff into the fight, drop it, then use it in phase 2 so I can do the infinite sweep until breaks to bypass most of this phase. So close to finishing at age 20....

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Artelier posted:

Is there a way to drop a weapon or do I just have to tank a big hit? For the final boss, I would like to bring a long staff into the fight, drop it, then use it in phase 2 so I can do the infinite sweep until breaks to bypass most of this phase. So close to finishing at age 20....

You can drop it by pressing the same input as the pickup iirc but the phase change on every boss will remove all weapons on the floor

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

PantsBandit posted:

Just got the true ending. The process of getting it was fun and thematically cool but the actual ending left something to be desired imo.

I was hoping for some more wrap-up about Yang and his story. Instead it's just a lesson about letting go which fits with the game but is still a bit underwhelming.

Yeah, the lesson of s'cool, just die for no reason and let the assassin/crime syndicate abuse nebulously defined magic powers doesn't seem all that helpful, nor even in keeping with its own elements.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Tarezax posted:

You can drop it by pressing the same input as the pickup iirc but the phase change on every boss will remove all weapons on the floor

I tried that, my character just tosses it at the boss' face and if it hits, it breaks in half, so this strat won't work. Or maybe I'm doing the input wrong somehow? Hold too short/too long?

Thanks for the warning on the phase change, I knew about it, my plan is to do like 99% damage, pick up the staff, then activate phase 2.

Right now I'm tanking a big hit to drop the staff but he does quite a bit of damage on the large hits so now I'm dying on phase 1 instead of phase 2. My plan definitely works on either phase though.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

Artelier posted:

I tried that, my character just tosses it at the boss' face and if it hits, it breaks in half, so this strat won't work. Or maybe I'm doing the input wrong somehow? Hold too short/too long?

It's indeed the same button, but you have to hold the button down for a second, then you'll drop it.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Goodguy3 posted:

It's indeed the same button, but you have to hold the button down for a second, then you'll drop it.

Thanks, that did it!! Sifu now beaten at age 20, with no damage taken on phase 2 due to the strat.

Immortalising this feat with visual proof, but spoilering as it's a no context shot of the final, final, FINAL area of the game (if you do certain things)

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Ending chat...

I think Yang is using the magic for good. In some way, you're the bad guy of the story because it's implied your father was hoarding the magic when it could be used to save and help people.

there's also the detail that in the post credits scene, one of the gold circles is faded, implying it's been used to save someone at least once.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

abigserve posted:

Ending chat...

I think Yang is using the magic for good. In some way, you're the bad guy of the story because it's implied your father was hoarding the magic when it could be used to save and help people.

there's also the detail that in the post credits scene, one of the gold circles is faded, implying it's been used to save someone at least once.

They do a terrible job conveying this, what with the killing and resurrecting a bird for demonstration purposes, the mockery from Yang(who's not exactly demonstrating Wude in his fight with you), the gang in level 1, the combat cult and ritual disfigurement in level 2, the ongoing assassination activities discussed in level 4, and the group killing a child to start this all off for no real reason. It feels terrifically unearned and seems to basically justify why whatever the nebulous boxed magic was should not have been used in the first place.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Feb 21, 2022

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
The trick is to play half an hour a day until your muscle memory is overridden, by the way (if you dumb).

God drat, that was a great game. Probably not going to try to finish it in my 20s, but extremely satisfying once you start shredding the dickheads who used to give you trouble. Almost sekiro levels of rewarding for me.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

abigserve posted:

Ending chat...

So The Alchemists argue that the Guardians were hoarding the talismans power and that they're using it to help people - that certainly seems to be true at a surface level but the Guardians believed that the powers of the talismans are inherently corrupting and each of the bosses clearly have some form of negative to go along with whatever good they do. Yang is a healer, but he was also driven to betrayal and murder - he mentions how many he's saved since murdering your father, but he also helped murder the other four Guardians at a minimum. Jinfeng runs multiple initiatives to help the underprivileged but has also accumulated significant wealth and power herself. Kuroki has become a master artist but is so self-absorbed that her art is all-consuming and all she's concerned with, Sean's teaching martial arts but with ruthless discipline in his underground fight club, and Fajar....uh, I'm not even remotely sure of positives here - Yang's treatment of him appears to have helped him find some form of inner peace, maybe? but also he's a botanist in a drug lab.

The quote about demonstrating wude in the kill ending mentions about breaking the fighting spirit of your enemies. You've demonstrated that against each boss and subsequently shattered their spirit. They're still alive, but you've destroyed the Alchemists as an organisation and won - my read is that Yang uses the talisman to bring you back. The magic imagery at the end is no different than any of the other magic realism bits all throughout the rest of the game (or you can just read them as straight magic and literally you are traversing these magic spaces, it doesn't matter).

It is funny to me though that in the process of carefully demonstrating my wude and sparing all four bosses I absolutely for sure killed dozens of random mooks that I impaled with swords and punted off of ledges into the abyss. No mercy unless you're a bad rear end enough martial artist, I guess. :v:

Edit: Fixed typos and a weird sentence that went nowhere, whoops.

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 21, 2022

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Mode 7 posted:

So The Alchemists argue that the Guardians were hoarding the talismans power and that they're using it to help people - that certainly seems to be true at a surface level but the Guardians believed that the powers of the talismans are inherently corrupting and each of the bosses clearly have. Yang is a healer, but he was also driven to betrayal and murder - he mentions how many he's saved since murdering your father, but he also helped murder the other four Guardians at a minimum. Jinfeng runs multiple initiatives to help the underprivileged but has also accumulated significant wealth and power herself. Kuroki has become a master artist but is so self-absorbed that her art is all-consuming and all she's concerned with, Sean's teaching martial arts but with ruthless discipline in his underground fight club, and Fajar....uh, I'm not even remotely sure of positives here - Yang's treatment of him appears to have helped him find some form of inner peace, maybe? but also he's a botanist in a drug lab.

The quote about demonstrating wude in the kill ending mentions about breaking the fighting spirit of your enemies. You've demonstrated that against each boss and subsequently shattered their spirit. They're still alive, but you've destroyed the Alchemists as an organisation and won - my read is that Yang uses the talisman to bring you back. The magic imagery at the end is no different than any of the other magic realism bits all throughout the rest of the game (or you can just read them as straight magic and literally you are traversing these magic spaces, it doesn't matter).

It is funny to me though that in the process of carefully demonstrating my wude and sparing all four bosses I absolutely for sure killed dozens of random mooks that I impaled with swords and punted off of ledges into the abyss. No mercy unless you're a bad rear end enough martial artist, I guess. :v

A good and thoughtful read on it and I totally agree with your closing thought lol

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I feel like I need a map for the Club. Does the level layout actually make sense or do you effectively teleport sometimes? I don't know what route I took the other day but I was trying to get as many enemies as possible and that didn't work out. I missed the whole pit section and that first mini-boss kickboxer guy.

Bushmaori posted:

The trick is to play half an hour a day until your muscle memory is overridden, by the way (if you dumb).

Definitely important to play consistently, especially if you're like me and still need to unlock all the moves. I'm not a complete fighter yet so it'll take time to think of my next move at reflex speed. The nut punch is a really good one to develop to that level. Also the Flowing Claw stance reverse sweep.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

In the Club is there a point to the path that takes you up to the tech guy or is it just an extra challenge