Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kanos posted:

This is what I was talking about with kossar spam earlier. You need so many damned armies as Kislev just to keep Kislev intact that you'd best get used to spamming T1 archers because that's what you can afford!
If you could disband lords this would be much less of an issue. Kislev eventually gets great global recruitment effects and so just summoning an emergency boyar and a half stack should be enough to stop any invasion. Sadly, you can't actually do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

I doubt there is a mod for this yet, but is there any manual file editing i can do to respec a confeded lord? A keyboard falling down a flight of stairs must have chosen the upgrades.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

hemale in pain posted:

I was thinking about it but outside of modding if you didn't want to stress about the chaos portals just warp to the khorne realm everytime it pops up and murder any AI which visits it for the 15 turns.

You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a tortoise, it’s crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that? Is it because you want the tortoise's skull?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

What worked for me was getting another stack of mostly Nurglings and conquering stuff. Provinces rebelled, but with some luck and towers bullshit I could hold my own. I went a bit east, then along the southern coast of that bay near your starting zone. Hit some Dorfs and Kislevites around. Once you get the corruption going you can hilariously see their armies melt away as they try to get to your settlements (or sometimes bypass them and travel around, AI has crazy moments). It's on Normal, and included some save-scumming, so might not work for you. Once you get some infection economy going it gets easier - plagues help with settlement growth, and later add more cool bonuses.
Another hilarious use of plagues - I had N'Kari race me to the bottom of Slaanesh world - popped an agent, infected him and made the birdie take the camp stance to limit the attrition.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

AnEdgelord posted:

People keep saying that CA should have learned their lesson about people not liking narrative campaigns but in wh2 after the vortex plenty of dlc factions and characters had their own narrative campaigns were very widely praised. The Tomb Kings hunt for the books, Grom and Eltharion, and Vampirates and the Merwyrm. I dont think "we hate narrative campaigns" is the signal the community has been sending for the past couple years. People just hated the Vortex.

Was vortex even that hated? The only major complaints I saw people leveraging was that the ritual army spawing was bullshit, which it was, and that mortal empires was better, which only really applied to certain starts.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Everything was so expensive with Nurgle that I couldn't afford to make fun armies. It was mostly nurglings and some mid tier units while the enemy started making high tier units... I think I used the plagues wrong. I might try Nurgle again and delve a little deeper into it all

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jyARy1Tp-U

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Vagabong posted:

Was vortex even that hated? The only major complaints I saw people leveraging was that the ritual army spawing was bullshit, which it was, and that mortal empires was better, which only really applied to certain starts.

It was super bullshit, and I didn't feel wrong just cheating myself unlimited action points for armies. It was easier to just blitz through the rituals while still having relatively small territory, since at least you can have some chance of coordinating defence. Or a couple stack of rat-grade warcrimes would spawn at your opponent's land and maybe destroy something before hitting your lands.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Yeah vortex sucked balls as well. Some of the newer DLC vortex campaigns were fun though. Once.

The "real" replayable game for me has always been mortal empires so it's always weird to see it excluded from the game

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Vagabong posted:

Vortex was absolute trash. Even with the warts, this new system is a lot better.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i don't think vortex was actively hated as much as it was completely ignored by 99% of players. the wh2 dlc campaigns were good because they tied the campaign goal to what you'd be doing as you were playing. wh3 lacks this, which is kind of surprising, but CA releases are always two steps forward one step back kinda things

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I mean it just shows how different are the tastes of people playing the game. For me, Mortal Empires was ignored afterthought of a game mode, while the various Vortex campaigns were the meat of the game I spent like 95% of time in. I have still not finished a single Mortal Empire campaign, despite being pretty much done with WH2, while completing something like 12 Vortex campaigns.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
There’s only one island in the Tzeentch realm with 3 portals, once you get to it one of the portals will loop you back to the one you came through, and the other will take you on a straight path to the soul battle. That’s the place to save scum from. I don’t bother with the white circles at all. Definitely needs tweaking.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

I mean it just shows how different are the tastes of people playing the game. For me, Mortal Empires was ignored afterthought of a game mode, while the various Vortex campaigns were the meat of the game I spent like 95% of time in. I have still not finished a single Mortal Empire campaign, despite being pretty much done with WH2, while completing something like 12 Vortex campaigns.

No one “finishes” a Mortal Empires campaign they just play until it gets boring. Outside of using mods to change them the victory conditions are mostly nonsense.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I wish allied units from outposts kept their original faction colouring, would be a neat touch

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I remember a lot of complaints about vortex.

These armies destroy everything I built up. Walls do nothing. City selection is random for invasions. You can just ignore it, it is meaningless. This punishes people who expand.

Elf hell war.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

DaysBefore posted:

I wish allied units from outposts kept their original faction colouring, would be a neat touch

I got an issue where I can not recruit from warriors of chaos's full roster. Only marauder and marauder horsemen (throwing axes). It is pretty funny. I really wanted to have some chosen in my nurgle army.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yep, basically it's sandbox campaigns vs heavily objective focused campaigns. Most people prefer the former. The problem with the Realms of Chaos campaign is that it forces you to actively pursue the primary objective on a strict timetable and the game punishes you for not doing so.

I don't mind this as long as some of the worst offender poo poo gets toned down and/or we get more variety of gameplay options in the future, however I understand that some people gets upset about this, it's a more heavy handed aproach to objective based campaigns compared to previous games.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Third World Reagan posted:

I got an issue where I can not recruit from warriors of chaos's full roster. Only marauder and marauder horsemen (throwing axes). It is pretty funny. I really wanted to have some chosen in my nurgle army.

It's very peculiar. I know you can't access DLC content through outposts but Norsca has mammoths and skin wolves so I have no idea what's the problem there. Must have to do with the rework.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Ethiser posted:

No one “finishes” a Mortal Empires campaign they just play until it gets boring. Outside of using mods to change them the victory conditions are mostly nonsense.

I know, which is exactly why I ended up ignoring it. Vortex campaigns usually had the good grace to end just as they were getting boring, while Mortal Empire campaigns ended because they got too boring to continue. The former is just far more enjoyable to me than the latter.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm fine with objective focused campaigns, but vortex and this are bad objective focused campaigns because the objective is nonsense.

Sending me all round the world to get books to turn the pyramid on? Cool, great, happy to take that as pointers, fits nicely with the rest of the game. Even soft-objectives like unify the empire through the diplomacy system? Great. Rebuild the karaz ankor? Entirely cool.

But "spawn piles of assholes at random points and play whack a mole with them to get points in an arbitrary counter that does not remotely integrate with the rest of the game? Two games in a row apparently because it was so positively received the first time and you didn't avoid doing it for every other loving campaign you released afterwards? Absolutely garbage design idea.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
It's good, OP.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Azran posted:

It's very peculiar. I know you can't access DLC content through outposts but Norsca has mammoths and skin wolves so I have no idea what's the problem there. Must have to do with the rework.

Most likely. You can get the entire skaven roster and empire roster.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Azran posted:

They need to have built the buildings to recruit the units in the settlement where your outpost is.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Third World Reagan posted:

There’s a bug with WoC where a bunch of it’s roster isn’t available for recruitment. However, chosen and chosen with halberds are 100% recruitable and an awesome addition to a nurgle army. It just takes ages for them to get there, it needs the AI to build and upgrade the chaos warriors building. Notably nothing else from the chaos warriors building (chaos warriors, aspiring champions) can be recruited. So just keep them alive and eventually they should come through.

Chosen also cost something like 35 allegiance points per unit so you aren’t going to be awash with them. Just check their main settlement every few turns to see if they’ve got the building.

Just loaded it up to check and I don’t have chosen with great weapons as an option either. Oh well, 2/3 ain’t bad. I think I need to funnel some cash to the faction, they have a tier 5 settlement and two empty slots. Maybe some other late game units are recruitable.

Real Cool Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 21, 2022

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, the DLC campaigns in 2 were overall pretty good. The Vortex race itself was an uninspired slugfest though.

Shame too, because I preferred the Vortex map for many of the factions.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Broken Cog posted:

Vortex was absolute trash. Even with the warts, this new system is a lot better.

What was so poo poo about it though? The ritual army spawns were frustrating, but you both got to choose when they arrived and could just save scum to know where they were coming from. On top of that, because you got to intervene in a rivals final ritual just straight up ignore the race and play it as a normal conquest game with a different map to ME.

TW3's campaign removes a bunch of player agency from the campaign by putting the ritual invasions on an automatic timer and forces the player to engage with the campaign mechanics by making it much harder to permanently knock an opponent out of the race. Giving a fairly large warning about when and where armies are going to spawn in is definitely one of 3's biggest improvements, but it does step back in some areas.

I honestly thing both campaigns are fairly serviceable, but I wouldn't say one is distinctly better than the other.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 21, 2022

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

All this objective poo poo is just such a departure from the fundamentals of the TW series. I just want to play Medieval 2 or Shogun 2 but with cool fantasy units, all the other stuff annoys the hell out of me

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I feel like I forget this every new Total War or maybe it's changed, but how do you get a grouped formation to attack a different unit each, rather than all of them attacking the unit you click on?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Vagabong posted:

What was so poo poo about it though? The ritual army spawns were frustrating, but you both got to choose when they arrived and could just save scum to know where they were coming from. On top of that, because you got to intervene in a rivals final ritual just straight up ignore the race and play it as a normal conquest game with a different map to ME.

TW3's campaign removes a bunch of player agency from the campaign by putting the ritual invasions on an automatic timer and forces the player to engage with the campaign mechanics by making it much harder to permanently knock an opponent out of the race. Giving a fairly large warning about when and where armies are going to spawn in is definitely one of 3's biggest improvements, but it does step back in some areas.

You couldn't exactly savescum, since the ritual armies seemed to be programmed to spawn somewhere your defenses were weakest. If you savescummed and moved your armies in the direction they had spawned before triggering, they might very well spawn somewhere else. Then on top of that you had to sit around and babysit your territory for 20 turns in case some other faction spawned an intervention army on you.

And "You can just ignore it" doesn't make it a good campaign mechanic, I'd honestly say it makes it worse.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
When you get your campaign stabilized by mid game and can get like 3-6k a turn you can burn for 2-3 turns when the rifts first spawn having heroes shut them is pretty painless. I'm definitely going to get a domination victory on a new faction I try. I wonder which one can paint the best? Cathay is pretty good for it but I'm 2 souls away from my first Cathay win.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I'm playing Normal Nurgle and his economy seems to be pretty impaired. I'm building and upgrading where I can but it feels like my newer settlements (even with the nurgle tech buffs) are never going to balance out the armies that it takes to keep the mortals away, and my alternate defense options (big ol stack of nurglings) are becoming less and less effective. If I could sustain strong armies at my borders then I could balance it via fighting, but there's too many borders and all the mortals are at war with me. Have I missed something with regard to Nurgle buildings? Or was my mistake trying to push outwards instead of using the Nurgle tech to become BFFs with everyone and let my allies take care of the land?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Drunken_Pirate posted:

I could use some help with managing meat for the Ogre Kingdoms. It feels like I'm missing something. I know I'm supposed to be setting up camps but those are limited, cost upkeep and I pretty quickly outrange them when painting the map. I'm only getting 3-5 meat per battle as Skrag- this seems way too low?

The real answer is that you're not supposed to paint the map as Ogres, but if you're going to do that then you should set up a camp in a good position to use it, and the surrounding province, as your recruiting grounds. Then you'll have your forward army set up a camp when they need to replenish to take advantage of the bonus meat, and you'll quickly find yourself with 200 meat and you'll forget about it. I've only got two demon souls in my Skrag run, but even entering the last rift with only 100 meat I was able to easily do the whole thing and get out with almost the same amount.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Broken Cog posted:

You couldn't exactly savescum, since the ritual armies seemed to be programmed to spawn somewhere your defenses were weakest. If you savescummed and moved your armies in the direction they had spawned before triggering, they might very well spawn somewhere else. Then on top of that you had to sit around and babysit your territory for 20 turns in case some other faction spawned an intervention army on you.

I'll admit that I never had to babysit ritual sites because I'd obsessively build walls in 2, but I might of just been lucky with intervention army spawns.

Broken Cog posted:

And "You can just ignore it" doesn't make it a good campaign mechanic, I'd honestly say it makes it worse.

It is an improvement if people find the mechanics frustrating to interact with. Ideally they'd be good on their own merits, but if not then its better if they can fade into the background. I'm also fairly certain that none of the later dlc campaigns had failstates outside of losing all your territory, which effectively meant they could also be ignored if the player just wanted do their own thing.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 21, 2022

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Vagabong posted:

I honestly thing both campaigns are fairly serviceable, but I wouldn't say one is distinctly better than the other.

Any strategy that begins "you can just save scum" is inherently bad design, IMO. Unless you're a game explicitly created with that in mind, like a tactical top-down shooter or something.

And to the larger discussion, as others have alluded the reason there's Vortex/Ursun campaigns is because some players really enjoy them. (Im)Mortal Empires is for the powergamers, the people who'll get hundreds or even thousands of hours invested. Vortex/Ursun are more for the <100 hour crowd; they'll play for a month or so at release, maybe pick it up again for a couple days after a DLC. It's something structured that you can complete and say "beat that game, on to something else". There's nothing wrong with that, and as I said before I think both campaigns actually hold up pretty well for the first 30-50 hours.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Junkenstein posted:

I feel like I forget this every new Total War or maybe it's changed, but how do you get a grouped formation to attack a different unit each, rather than all of them attacking the unit you click on?

Put the units in a locked group, CTRL+G (also works to toggle a selected group between locked and not, there's a padlock symbol on the army panel that indicates this), then with the whole group selected give them an attack order (in some previous games this was CTRL+right click, but I think it's enough now to just give an attack order with a locked group selected), that will make them do the group attack.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah I'm liking the realm of chaos. Greasus was ahead of me in Tzeentch's realm but he got annihilated by the locals, then Kairos showed up late and had to watch me snag the soul. Skarbrand, the demon prince, and kugath wont be showing up this round because they're either wounded or I blew all their portals before they could get in.

Things I would change:

1) The realms trait is still really nasty. I get its thematic but re-jiggering the capital closest to where your hero will return is annoying. I would either have it automatically drop a step every turn once you're out and forgo the trait healing buildings, or if it has to stick around and be healed have it drop to the lowest level first. Or leave just a negative red trait that does nothing but has some flavor text if we want to go all narrative

2) People seem to struggle with using heroes to clean up the portals, Maybe create some sort of province capital anti corruption building that prevents the local portal from opening, to help those people out

3) if the ai wins, play a sad cutscene and give the winner a nice buff but dont end the campaign, let me beat them up

Side note it is pretty cool that khornes realm is basically ork Valhalla planet

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Randarkman posted:

Put the units in a locked group, CTRL+G (also works to toggle a selected group between locked and not, there's a padlock symbol on the army panel that indicates this), then with the whole group selected give them an attack order (in some previous games this was CTRL+right click, but I think it's enough now to just give an attack order with a locked group selected), that will make them do the group attack.

Oh, that's what I've been doing. So is it just that it doesn't separate the attack arrows anymore? Even though it shows ten red arrows all converging on one enemy unit, the units in my locked group will still target different units?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

The Chad Jihad posted:

1) The realms trait is still really nasty. I get its thematic but re-jiggering the capital closest to where your hero will return is annoying. I would either have it automatically drop a step every turn once you're out and forgo the trait healing buildings, or if it has to stick around and be healed have it drop to the lowest level first. Or leave just a negative red trait that does nothing but has some flavor text if we want to go all narrative

Any major province capital works. You don't mean your starting faction capital, right?

quote:

2) People seem to struggle with using heroes to clean up the portals, Maybe create some sort of province capital anti corruption building that prevents the local portal from opening, to help those people out

Less a struggle and more no sign from the game that it's an option. It's really easy to play the game without heroes on the map since you're naturally guided towards how super useful they are in armies. The advisor really needs to clearly state on the first rift spawn "you only need to enter 1 portal, armies approaching a portal attract daemonic attention, a clever agent can seal the portal quietly at the cost of expensive reagents." Bam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

orangelex44 posted:

Any strategy that begins "you can just save scum" is inherently bad design, IMO. Unless you're a game explicitly created with that in mind, like a tactical top-down shooter or something.

And to the larger discussion, as others have alluded the reason there's Vortex/Ursun campaigns is because some players really enjoy them. (Im)Mortal Empires is for the powergamers, the people who'll get hundreds or even thousands of hours invested. Vortex/Ursun are more for the <100 hour crowd; they'll play for a month or so at release, maybe pick it up again for a couple days after a DLC. It's something structured that you can complete and say "beat that game, on to something else". There's nothing wrong with that, and as I said before I think both campaigns actually hold up pretty well for the first 30-50 hours.

you say that but even the ursun campaign takes 1000 years, they should've probably made it so that once the portals open that's it, they're open, endless demons surging onto the land and they won't stop until you go into the realm of chaos and kill the gods or whatever.