Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Since you can only invade players in co-op now all thoughts of honorable PvP is out the window for me. I'm going to use every rear end in a top hat tool at my disposal, pester people at range, get in their way in dungeons, in general just be a gigantic nuisance to even the odds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Zoig posted:

Im gonna play wretch, allocate stats haphazardly, and use whatever looks cool. My pvp strategy is to kill the other guy.

:same:

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Missing an extra 4 stats or whatever is rarely going to make the difference in PvP. Unless the killing blow hits for exactly your/your opponent’s max HP, most combat involves significant overkill

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

I'm gonna need an Elden Ring based Sickos edit for this

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Since invasions of random people are tied to invading players in coop, I'm pretty sure there will be a covenant for people who do want 1vs1 pvp duels. I'm not that person, and I probably won't play cooperatively, so I don't care. I almost always use levels to get dump stats to a nice round number anyways, so wretch's even 10 across the board is perfect for me.

Elden week is upon us! We can do it. Less that 4 days for most of us. Still no idea yet if it's actually a midnight release regardless of timezone, or global launch at the same time though.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer

hosed up that you would leave 112 hrs on your balance instead of taking an additional 14 days off

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

The truly hosed up thing is that you'll never be able to take the remaining 0.910 hours of paid time off, nasty little man.
...or can you??

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Frankston posted:

Doesn't wretch start at level 1 though, so you have more levels to play with?

I ran the numbers earlier today, and Wretch has fewer points total than everyone else. Everyone has the total number of points plus the starting levels from 1+.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
ELDEN RING

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress a wretch.

Also the PS5 controller is easily one of the most premium controllers I’ve ever used. Proper weight, buttons feel great and the haptic poo poo is so loving good. It crushes any other controller on the market.

Don’t listen to people who turn rumble and haptics off - they are fringe AF.

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
great now i’m reconsidering wretch, because i love PvP at launch for these games. i didn’t think about the stats!!!! back to the drawing board. i still legitimately have no idea what i want to spec into. magic and swords seems fun. giant swords seem fun. flails seem fun.

wait what about… flails with magic????

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress a wretch.

Also the PS5 controller is easily one of the most premium controllers I’ve ever used. Proper weight, buttons feel great and the haptic poo poo is so loving good. It crushes any other controller on the market.

Don’t listen to people who turn rumble and haptics off - they are fringe AF.

I just wish it was a little more grippy. A PS5 controller with the finish of the Xbox one elite controllers would be fantastic.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

All the classes have the same stat total adjusted for level.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I have a dualsense but once some community configs come out I'll probably play on my Steam Controller :twisted: I really like the back paddle buttons for switching between weapons/items on the hot bar, and gyro aiming assist for archery is great

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

I ran the numbers earlier today, and Wretch has fewer points total than everyone else. Everyone has the total number of points plus the starting levels from 1+.

I also did the math, and this is incorrect.

Wretch has 80 total points at level 1.

I'll just pick one example, since it's the same for all other classes:

Confessor has 10+13+10+12+12+9+14+9=89 points at level 10, which is 9 level ups, so the 9 extra points that he should have.

No reason not to pick wretch.
The only reason wretch might be considered a "suboptimal" pick, is if arcane is the dump stat you want to avoid at all costs, then the optimal pick is probably vagabond. But we don't yet know, there might be really cool and interesting gear that scales with arcane.

Edit: In hindsight maybe that wasn't what you were saying at all and I misunderstood you and made a fool of myself.

In any case, first few levels are cheap and there's reason to believe that the average soul rune level by the end of the game will be higher than in previous entries (Sorceries with stat requirements of 70 exist) so even 3 "wasted" points won't matter in the grand scheme of things. Do what you want, make your own fun. Whether that's tryhard min-maxing or cosplaying as your favorite anime character, who cares. Make the game as hard or as easy for yourself as to maximize your own enjoyment.

Oenis fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 21, 2022

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I’m going Vagabond and unequipping everything except either the long sword or halberd immediately after the opening cutscene then living off the land. I’ll probably replace the starting weapon with something that combos or a big weapon first thing I find to get that wretched feel

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I remember when I used to think the original playstation controller was the best and couldn't be topped. Xbone controller kills anything Sony has or maybe ever will produce. Any suggestion otherwise is brand favoritism.

Personally though I plan to play ER with my old Microsoft Sidewinder

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
I know it isn't a fair comparison (more than double the price of basically anything else, after all) but after using the Xbox Elite 2 for a couple years now... yeah, it's the best controller I've ever had in my hands. Also in fairness I've only played two PS5 games so maybe the haptics are more impressive in others?

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
https://twitter.com/ELDENRING/status/1495760289089921026?s=20&t=CAmZargSmCVzE5s9yQOJog

Yo what they said u hosed up little tarnished mans.

Stats are a fool's game - you go for wretch so you can feel powerless and in a state of panic for the whole game

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Re: summoning NPCs, is there a stat that influences that or are summons more like weapons and they're improved by "upgrading" them e.g. Summon dogs +1. I don't know if this is getting into spoiler territory so feel free to spoiler tag your reply.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Me, waiting for Elden Ring, trying to remain unhyped, unbothered, just keeping it reeeallll cool for 4 days:

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Frankston posted:

Re: summoning NPCs, is there a stat that influences that or are summons more like weapons and they're improved by "upgrading" them e.g. Summon dogs +1. I don't know if this is getting into spoiler territory so feel free to spoiler tag your reply.

spirit summons don't seem to be tied to stats (except they cost FP to summon) and can be upgraded, but we don't really know the details there yet at all

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
4 dungeons to go in skyward sword. Which souls game do I download to practice before Elden Ring comes out? DS3?

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

RC Cola posted:

4 dungeons to go in skyward sword. Which souls game do I download to practice before Elden Ring comes out? DS3?

That is definitely the closest.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

RC Cola posted:

King's Field 1 (JP)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/ELDENRING/status/1495775365473738758

730pm thursday I can begin aw yea aw yea aw yea aw yea aw yea

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Why six hours earlier on PC? It’s not fair I tell ya

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese

hatty posted:

im going hollow as i type

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh gently caress its going to be ready to go thursday night instead of friday night? oh poo poo i'm in some real trouble here folks

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

hatty posted:

to be fair it'll probably take me that long to get the optimized settings locked down

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

hatty posted:

it's not but i don't care wooooo elden ring thursday night right after work

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I fully expect that respeccing will be a thing in this but I'm still agonizing over whether I want to go for a Str/Dex generalist build or go for the spellblade-type magic user I often gravitate towards because I also fully expect that upgrade materials are going to be the real bottleneck rather than stats. I'd hate to spend a bunch of upgrade materials on sorcery stuff only to find that it's boring or really weak/limiting.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

ELDEN

RING

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug

:smugdog:

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug
I wonder if you can do system clock or vpn fuckery to play at midnight CET on playstation.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

hatty posted:

A little treat for having the rest of the Souls multi on PC down for a month

Thursday night... OHHHHH, ELDEN RING

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I'll tell you the secret of Dark Souls and the math behind The One That Is Naked And Starts At A Lower Level. Are you ready? Here we go:

It doesn't actually matter, because you will always catch up before the first real boss unless you know exactly what you are doing and beeline, because the nature of level scaling means those first few levels are super cheap and will come fast. Further, you will invariably run into a vendor relatively quickly that will sell you a bunch of armor kind of cheap, assuming you haven't managed to scrounge up some gear before then. At that point the difference between that and having started with another class is gone.

Don't worry about numbers and always pick the class that looks coolest to you.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah all this crazy minmaxing talk is a surefire way to suck all the fun out of the game. The only thing you have to do, is, well,

GIT GUD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Huh, so it did wind up coming out at 10:00 Friday here and I'll be at work. I also coincidentally, without objection, did a bunch of extra hours today I'll have to take off. I assure you these two things are not linked and my time off Friday is total happenstance.