Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I wonder if they ever considered doing all-out voicework for everything in the PRs. Not that I'd want it, but it seems like the misguided sort of thing they used to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wonder if the Japanese singing will be included

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think I need to play a bunch of GBA RPGs I missed, starting with FF6Advance.

I was trying to figure out the name of my favourite song from the soundtrack, but I can't even find it in compilations on YouTube. I hope I'm not going crazy and I mixed up a song from another game. Or just made it up entirely.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So this is pretty cool : https://twistedvoxel.com/final-fantasy-vi-pixel-remaster-opera-scene-2d-hd-7-languages/

7 different languages for the opera. They really are going big with this last entry.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Damnit let me buy and/or stream the PR soundtracks

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

HD DAD posted:

Someone forgot to make a video private.

https://youtu.be/wOkScEsyOYQ

The opera is fully voiced.

Did...did she just throw a loving baby?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Gologle posted:

Look, she wanted to get the old bottle of soda in the lake.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gologle posted:

It's a fine theatrical tradition.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It's a retcon to give Gau a more tragic backstory.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Gologle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a61Ptbuokg

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

This is not really about Final Fantasy but it is sort of tangentially related and I know people have talked about the series before in this thread so uh, who knows a lot about the GBA Tactics Ogre game? I started playing it again on a whim and I kind of want to see it through to the end this time. Mostly I'm wondering what classes are worth getting and which should be ignored, especially because some classes have crazy requirements due to the whole emblem system and such. I just don't want to waste my time trying to get like a Dragoon or something and then it turns out Dragoons suck in this game.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

celes' voice sounds like the font looks

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Super No Vacancy posted:

celes' voice sounds like the font looks

:drat:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hopefully there's a mod that just drops in a distant worlds recording or something

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Not sure what i think about the voice opera, but hey, i don't like the spritework for most of these PRs either and mods can fix everything i might want.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Vocals for the Opera is a bold choice. Kinda kills the atmosphere of the scene though.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I also assume a lot of people will want the option to hear the singing in a language other than the one used for the text.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's just not Final Fantasy VI if the singers don't sound like grownups from Peanuts.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Super No Vacancy posted:

hopefully there's a mod that just drops in a distant worlds recording or something

Mod this in, instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpj0wJeS3hg

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Twelve by Pies posted:

This is not really about Final Fantasy but it is sort of tangentially related and I know people have talked about the series before in this thread so uh, who knows a lot about the GBA Tactics Ogre game? I started playing it again on a whim and I kind of want to see it through to the end this time. Mostly I'm wondering what classes are worth getting and which should be ignored, especially because some classes have crazy requirements due to the whole emblem system and such. I just don't want to waste my time trying to get like a Dragoon or something and then it turns out Dragoons suck in this game.
When I was a small child my team was mono Angel Knights or whatever, plus one Lich. I bet you can break the game with literally anything if you just look up where the Snapdragon scrolls are, turning even a mediocre person into a sword gives more stats than anything else. Sorry I don't have real advice :shobon:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I never got an angel or a lich in an ogre game and will continue to never do so, because it's a massive hassle and if you're willing to dedicate that much time to that you could have just gotten the main character a few levels higher than everyone else and have them one-shot everyone.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Or just do what I always do and recruit a lich from the pirate graveyard.

I mean, they're not gonna be one of your teammates but it beats waiting until the endgame and going all the way into the Palace of the Dead.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Digging the opera look

https://twitter.com/FinalFantasy/status/1495820866696794112

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

turning even a mediocre person into a sword

I'm sorry what now

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

hope i remember to swap the game to italian

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I hate that they basically made the opera scene into HD2D. It just makes me want the remasters to have fully been like that.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm sorry what now

There is a spell in Tactics Ogre that permanently converts one of your units into a sword. I think the sword basically has all of the stats the unit did, so it's like you're equipping an entire person on another person. Huge stat boost.

Yes, the implications are really hosed up.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
You're telling me I can stab a motherfucker with another motherfucker?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

OhFunny posted:

It's not impossible. You can land Silence on him to prevent him from using Mimic.

I abandoned getting other achievements once I realized I couldn't 100% without starting over from the beginning to fight Gogo and just finished the game. This is actually the first time I've beaten FFV.

Maybe Square-Enix will patch it and then I'll grind everything to max and kill the super bosses.

I couldn't let it go, so I went and did it after a lot of grinding.

Killed Omega too, so now just to grind all jobs to max and then kill Shinryu.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Between that opera scene and killing chaos, I'm all aboard where they're taking FF.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Did anyone here read that FFXV Novel they put out to replace the cancelled DLC's? Was it any good? Keeping in mind that I legitimately quite enjoyed playing through FFXV (with the disclaimer that I only played it after Royal Edition + Episode Ardyn came out, so I experienced it post-QoL changes and plus all the extra content).

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

DanielCross posted:

Did anyone here read that FFXV Novel they put out to replace the cancelled DLC's? Was it any good? Keeping in mind that I legitimately quite enjoyed playing through FFXV (with the disclaimer that I only played it after Royal Edition + Episode Ardyn came out, so I experienced it post-QoL changes and plus all the extra content).

Yes, and each chapter was like reading a description of how the cool DLC episodes would work, with a dab of concept art to sweeten the bittersweet deal.

Ardyn's chapter is pretty much his DLC prequel story, except Lunafreya meets him in the Citadel for the game's showdown. Foreshadowing!
Aranea's chapter has her fighting monsters in the sky and Diamond Weapon, with airship support projecting a virtual net that allows her unlimited mid-air jumps. Sounds really fun! Would've loved to play it!
Lunafreya gets her own World of Ruin road trip adventure. Neat to follow, including Sapphire Weapon, continued Biggs and Wedge antics, and co-op with Aranea's adopted daughter.
Noctis closes out the set with a 1.5 HD Nightmares Into Dreams Remix version of the final act with himself, Ardyn, Lunafreya, and Bahamut all struggling to ultimately save/destroy/infect/cleanse the world. Interesting and a fair relief for anyone who thought Lunafreya had a lot to offer the final chapter and that the deaths in the game were something of a shame compared to those characters' potential.

Feels good for different kinds of closure/revision, but not always exciting. Worth a look if you got into the game's story at all.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Love how apparently even in the synopsis of the novelization it's clear that Aranea's DLC wasn't actually part of the planning stages.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I think my favorite part of the cancelled DLCs/novel is how it completely invalidates "Sometimes doing the right thing is painful and sometimes sacrifices have to be made" with a cliche Big Bad and "But if you try really really hard, you don't have to sacrifice anything at all!"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I think my favorite part of the cancelled DLCs/novel is how it completely invalidates "Sometimes doing the right thing is painful and sometimes sacrifices have to be made" with a cliche Big Bad and "But if you try really really hard, you don't have to sacrifice anything at all!"

*serenely cracking walnut between thumb and forefinger* That Is My Favorite Part Also

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
FFIV taught me that death isn’t real and everyone comes back eventually :) :( :)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

HD DAD posted:

FFIV taught me that death isn’t real and everyone comes back eventually :) :( :)

not tellah

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That old bitch would be useless by the end of the game

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
FF6 was pretty hardcore for me. Well, I had to rent FF3 from Blockbuster and some fucker kept saving my file during my time with either Bannon or Celes. :argh:

Then I got the PS1 version and beat the hell out of it so many times. So bring it on Pixel Remaster! Super hyped for the Opera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Decisive Battle:

https://twitter.com/FinalFantasy/status/1496122857138667526?s=20&t=VqP8CMRFo70a16ieY_lZJw