Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Levantine posted:

Persona is the only game where party members get together to eat meals.

How can anyone say something in this game, made by the same company as Persona 5, and many of the same people as Persona 5, that uses the same combat system as Persona 5, was promoted by the Persona Twitter account, and includes P5 DLC, has a scene that looks similar to something that happens multiple times in Persona 5. There are similarities there. It's fine.

The actual plot seems a bit more Devil Survivor 2-adjacent though since apparently Ringo is saving characters from death by giving them a do over? Which I guess is kind of a theme of Devil Summoner 1 and Soul Hackers also, and it's nice switch up to let you play as the supernatural entity that saves people from death instead of being the character saved by the supernatural entity.

Here's some gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX4e1umTBp8

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's a shame they couldn't get Daft Punk back together to do the soundtrack.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

TurnipFritter posted:

How can anyone say something in this game, made by the same company as Persona 5, and many of the same people as Persona 5, that uses the same combat system as Persona 5, was promoted by the Persona Twitter account, and includes P5 DLC, has a scene that looks similar to something that happens multiple times in Persona 5.

I think you're picking a very weird and specific hill to die on and I don't really care that much either way! Every game is a Persona if you want it to be. Free the Persona of your heart and be joyful, friend.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

How can anyone say something in this game, made by the same company as Persona 5, and many of the same people as Persona 5, that uses the same combat system as Persona 5, was promoted by the Persona Twitter account, and includes P5 DLC, has a scene that looks similar to something that happens multiple times in Persona 5.

Oh yeah Atlus absolutely is only including P5 DLC in this game and no other.

But wait P5 had SMTIV DLC. D... does that mean P5 is SMT?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I don't know why y'all are being so weird about people pointing out there are some similarities between Soul Hackers 2 and Persona 5.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

OddObserver posted:

People missing the most important thing:
https://twitter.com/HD_Kirin/status/1495732457420718082?cxt=HHwWhICsudmv9MEpAAAA

... not sure if that works, TBH, but at least their priorities are right.

The 25th Anniversary Edition promo says their name is "Ai-ho-kun"

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So that's weird. I just beat Abdiel's Nahobino form, and Nuwa showed up to tell me that she and Yakumo planned to take the throne to create a world without gods, and I haven't beaten Shiva. I did beat Shiva on my second playthrough when I did the Chaos ending, but I didn't do it on this playthrough, and every guide says you have to beat Shiva to get True Neutral.

I'm guessing you just need to beat Shiva during a playthrough, just not your current playthrough, because I'm sure people tried for True Neutral their first playthrough and didn't get it due to not beating Shiva.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

TurnipFritter posted:

i think there are some similarities to Persona tbh.

Yeah I mean c'mon Akechi and Skull are standing right there

Game looks really slick even though I'm not 100% sold on the character designs. And really nice that it has a PC version to make up for the fact that it's not on the Switch

They didn't mention it on the stream I think but is there any information anywhere about who is doing the music? Some of the music especially in the cheesy cosplayer fight at the beginning replicated the old Devil Summoner Tsukasa Masuko battle track style pretty well.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 21, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

I don't know why y'all are being so weird about people pointing out there are some similarities between Soul Hackers 2 and Persona 5.

Because it is the same weird anger/fear that pops up for every SMT game now.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah it's just kind of a boring discussion that goes nowhere and has been done to death. Games influence other games. Someone call me when they want to talk about Persona being like Grandia because everyone eats dinner together. Now that's the business.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

So that's weird. I just beat Abdiel's Nahobino form, and Nuwa showed up to tell me that she and Yakumo planned to take the throne to create a world without gods, and I haven't beaten Shiva. I did beat Shiva on my second playthrough when I did the Chaos ending, but I didn't do it on this playthrough, and every guide says you have to beat Shiva to get True Neutral.

I'm guessing you just need to beat Shiva during a playthrough, just not your current playthrough, because I'm sure people tried for True Neutral their first playthrough and didn't get it due to not beating Shiva.

I've seen reports that quest completion status for that ending carries over through NG+, even if you can redo them. So long as you're playing on a carried over file, doing them once at all seems to be enough.

Kale
May 14, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It looks like digimom cyber sleuth but snt so it'll probably own bones.

There is a rather short degree of separation chain for why that vibe might be present. It has the same producer as Devil Survivor 2 which was worked on by.....the character designer for Digimon Cyber Sleuth, even though it's not the same one here. You could almost immediately get the sense it was the same guy that worked as lead producer on games such as Tokyo Mirage Sessions and DS2 considering he tends to draft people that go for a more out there anime aesthetic compared to what we're even used to seeing from Soejima.

Anyway Ringo looks like she comes directly out of "that one hit seasonal blockbuster action sci-fi anime everyone is talking up RIGHT NOW on twitter and that is HYPPPPPPPPPPPPE". Not referring to anything specifically, just has that look to how they pose her and how she's dressed. I kind of got that vibe from the whole trailer right down to shark teeth guy bowler hat guy and the theme song in the trailer.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Seriously, I'm just glad that the long dry spell between 2017-2021 is over and ATLUS has finally gone back to releasing Megaten games at regular intervals instead of just milking Persona 5, as much as I like that game.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So in the gameplay trailer stuff, there are two moments when Arrow opens his skill list and there's an image of a demon (Jack Frost in one, Mothman in the other) and the skill lists are demons

So maybe you recruit demons and then overwrite them into someones COMP and that determines what skills they have access too?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

feels a bit different here since the developers specifically drew comparisons between sh2 and persona in the stream, but ok.

Junpei posted:

So in the gameplay trailer stuff, there are two moments when Arrow opens his skill list and there's an image of a demon (Jack Frost in one, Mothman in the other) and the skill lists are demons

So maybe you recruit demons and then overwrite them into someones COMP and that determines what skills they have access too?

yeah, "equipped" demons seem to determine your skills. this is similar to another franchise atlus has that i guess needs to remain nameless because making comparisons to it gets some folks upset.

if you watch the trailer you can see demon fusion happening at victor's circus and they seem to have wisely realized that everyone skips demon fusion animations after the first time so it's nothing special to look at.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 21, 2022

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Bringing somebody back from the dead is kind of a throwback to the original Devil Summoner though.

Kale
May 14, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

That sort of stuff feels more intense lately than it normally does even. Like general vibe I get off of the JRPG community online lately.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

OddObserver posted:

People missing the most important thing:
https://twitter.com/HD_Kirin/status/1495732457420718082?cxt=HHwWhICsudmv9MEpAAAA

... not sure if that works, TBH, but at least their priorities are right.

Ringho is right there, cmon :colbert:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I hope it has the paranormal/occult/xfiles stuff that DS/SH had

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I bought the 3DS version of Soul Hackers years and years ago and never played much of it. How worthwhile would it be to try to go back?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

One of the best games in the series.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

One of the best games in the series.

I know saying wrong things on purpose is your gimmick but that's too hosed up even for you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

I bought the 3DS version of Soul Hackers years and years ago and never played much of it. How worthwhile would it be to try to go back?

It is insanely dated even with the 3ds -hacks-.

The aesthetic is fun but the gameplay is super awkward. Depends on your tolerance

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't have a gimmick homie. Soul Hackers has got atmosphere for days a cool cast, cool gimmicks with the vision quests. Super lit game.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's pretty oldschool SMT but it's an easier one so it's worth a look for that if you haven't messed around with those games before.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

We need SMT NINE....2 instead.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

We need SMT NINE....2 instead.

:yeah:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
SMT NINE: But Good

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

The best was still back in the day when people lost their minds over the reveal of TMS.

TurnipFritter posted:

everyone skips demon fusion animations after the first time so it's nothing special to look at.
Hey I watched Nahobino play the organ all the way through like 90% of the time

e: As far as Soul Hackers it has a very cool 90s cyberpunk vibe and soundtrack, also it was one of the "lost" SMT games which never had an official or fan translation for a long time so there was a lot of mystique surrounding it for English speaking fans.
Though, I will say that while all SMT, Persona etc. games from the 90s are worth experiencing at least once for the cool stories and ambience, the combat in the older games before Nocturne introduced the Press Turn system feels a little dull in comparison. In the case of Soul Hackers the demon loyalty system is also a bit annoying to deal with. But it's definitely worth experiencing its cool vibes

e2: Just remembered that on the stream they said that the setting of Soul Hackers 2 resembles Tokyo but it's slightly different and called by a different name. Just occurred to me that that might be a call-back to Raidou where its version of Tokyo was only ever referred to as "The Capital" and was slightly different from real Tokyo. Since they also have the Raidou callback where one of the Devil Summoner organizations is called the Yatagarasu.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 21, 2022

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Kind of wish they had gone a little goofier with the COMPS instead of them seemingly mostly just being either GUMP-shaped or looking like traditional weapons. Looks like they're bringing back the Dark Realm from the Raidou titles to serve as the Idea Space (or whatever TMS's thing was called)/Da'at/Metaverse.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I would prefer TMS2 tbh. I love JPOP!!!

Kale
May 14, 2010

Item Getter posted:

The best was still back in the day when people lost their minds over the reveal of TMS.

That didn't feel so much like typical over the top internet dramatics, because I think people, including me, were expecting something very different from what it ended up being. The very first promo for it was just some artwork of SMT characters and Fire Emblem characters and then by the time it came back I guess Love Live School Idol Project was in the peak of it's popularity in Japan so they decided to go with something as close to that as they could possibly get including bringing in people that worked on it for the music, and we got the idol entertainment industry culture themed game fully nobody expected at the time. I can sort of get why people were thrown off by that one. Plus that game invoked the topic of censorship only in that case it really actually did make a whole bunch of sweeping changes for the North American version instead of people inventing crazy censorship theories out of thin air to shitpost so you had a perfect shitstorm of topics in one game that JRPG fans like to melt down over.

e: I think that might have even been one of the games that started the internet's absolute obsession with the idea of censorship when it comes to JRPG content along with Sony's vague policy change a few years back that doesn't seem to have affected things nearly to the degree people say it does.

Kale fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 21, 2022

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
God, don't remind me. "Vagina bones" gives me war flashbacks.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Beyond them both being colorful (which cyberpunk often is) I don't see how this could remind anyone of TMS that strongly, the aesthetic for that color is totally different for both.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Junpei posted:

"Vagina Bones" is one of the absolute funniest things the internet has ever given us and is the exact reason my eyes roll directly out of my head when ~*gamers*~ complain about censorship. It's an unserious topic for fundamentally unserious people and I could not care less. But Vagina Bones was a gift. I'm still laughing about it to this day.

TMS was a great game and I'd very much like another, please.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Junpei posted:

Oh there was definitely the early seeds of the constant stupidity that you see nowadays with that one, but it's also one of the only times I can recall where people screeched about censorship and it actually really was a prevalent thing in localizations outside Japan instead of largely borne from paranoia and people just craving attention. Mainly mean the whole song and dance of "OMG this is going to be censored so hard before it comes out you guys" and then 99% of the time it's not and then people claim it is anyway in order to keep shitposting ala something like I don't know, Tifa Lockhart's appearance in FFVII Remake. I think I've seen some instances of people insisting that about Ringo here's appearance even though I could not for the life of me identify anything that might even be changed in the next 6 months about it. It's just like an anime sci-fi Tron girl.

Kale fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 21, 2022

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yeah I'd like more TMS pls.

This seems to be semi-scratching that itch.

That being said, with the party being able to nab skills from any enemy you can negotiate, do you think that Arrow, Milady and... Saizo? Cyzo? will have like, customizable stats like most other SMT protags, or will they have set specialties like the DDS crew?

I totally anticipate Ringo having a customizable stat spread.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Junpei posted:

That being said, with the party being able to nab skills from any enemy you can negotiate, do you think that Arrow, Milady and... Saizo? Cyzo? will have like, customizable stats like most other SMT protags, or will they have set specialties like the DDS crew?

From the fusion screen we can see that demons have specific stats and resistances, so character stats may be derived from their currently equipped demon, which would be somewhat similar to another popular Atlus franchise. It may be like older entries in that other popular Atlus franchise where characters have specific stat growths that are further modified/averaged by whatever demon they have equipped.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Junpei posted:

I was kind of surprised when I realized that Ringo was just straight up the main character apparently. Usually when you get these mysterious woman that resurrects a guy after he apparently gets offed dynamics, the one that seems to know the ins and outs of everything versus the guy just freshly pulled into her world of crazy, is the deuteragonist at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

From the fusion screen we can see that demons have specific stats and resistances, so character stats may be derived from their currently equipped demon, which would be somewhat similar to another popular Atlus franchise. It may be like older entries in that other popular Atlus franchise where characters have specific stat growths that are further modified/averaged by whatever demon they have equipped.

The last SMT game had your character's elemental strengths and weaknesses determined by the demon you equipped to them too you are aware, yes? The passive aggressive poo poo it getting old.