Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://t.me/tass_agency/110777 Putin to decide today on LDNR recognition.

Recognizing them with their full, claimed state territory no doubt, i.e. independent Donbas is going to be partly occupied by Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Alchenar posted:

By the time the Russian army is done there will definitely be no spirits left in Donbass
Are you telling me... they're bringing in the Russian Ghostbusters?!‽

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1495752667523551233?t=GOA5QRiE4EQMJr8t431eQQ&s=19

so when nbc says "confirmed" does that mean they've been able to verify the intel or just that they're acting as stenographers

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1495793259230253062

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
^^ For the separatists, Ukrainians are The Occupiers.

A big flaming stink posted:

so when nbc says "confirmed" does that mean they've been able to verify the intel or just that they're acting as stenographers
Latter.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

A big flaming stink posted:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1495752667523551233?t=GOA5QRiE4EQMJr8t431eQQ&s=19

NBC has confirmed that the U.S. said that thing, not the thing itself.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Does the yelling at the end translate to "Ahh! Those virile manly men of Donetsk have spotted our cowardly sneak attack! We must run away daintily!"

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

This makes much more sense as a war goal

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Mooseontheloose posted:

For the foreign policy experts out here... why challenge for Ukraine now? Why not do it when you had a friendly American President who would of let you do it and crumble NATO at the same time?

I guess I get this feeling that Putin thought Biden would crack under the pressure and that the American domestic apparatus would splinter so bad that he would be force to concede to Russia.

quote:

https://www.thehindu.com/news/international/ukraines-crimea-goal-a-threat-russia/article37813341.ece

The Kremlin said on Thursday that Ukraine’s stated goal of retaking Crimea — which Moscow seized in 2014 — amounted to a “direct threat” to Russia, as tensions soar over Kiev’s conflict with pro-Russia separatists.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky had said on Wednesday [December 2021] that Crimea was Ukrainian territory and Kiev’s goal was to “liberate” it.

He focused, however, on diplomatic solutions and made no mention of taking the peninsula by force.

“Speaking in Parliament, Zelensky said that ... the return of Crimea should be the main goal and philosophy of Ukraine,” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters.

“We see this as a direct threat to Russia,” he said.

“Such wording of course means that the Kiev regime intends to use all available means — including force — in order to encroach on a Russian region. This is how we are leaning towards perceiving it.”

quote:

https://112.international/politics/ukraine-hopes-to-join-nato-summit-in-madrid-next-year-zelensky-67959.html

President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky claims that the Ukrainian side hopes to join the NATO summit in Madrid in 2022. The politician told that to the press during the conference of Ukraine's ambassadors held at the Syniohora state residence.

The president said he hopes the Alliance will reveal the actual date of granting the full-fledged membership for Ukraine.

"As for the membership in the Alliance... we believe, at least, we set such a goal, and dicsussed it with Secretary General and some leaders at the summit in Madrid, at the NATO summit in 2022", he said. "To us, it's crucial to make sure we're present [at the summit], one way or another, and it's also crucial to see to it that we have certain perspective, a certain date of when they see us as a full-fledged member of the Alliance", Zelensky said.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Grape posted:

Does the yelling at the end translate to "Ahh! Those virile manly men of Donetsk have spotted our cowardly sneak attack! We must run away daintily!"

He scream about how he regrets his gay, Nazi and pluralistic worldview and finally understands the eternal wisdom of petro-fascist oligarchy

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

This makes much more sense as a war goal

How does this make more sense? It gives Putin nothing except a devastated and underdeveloped regions to financially support and a shitton of sanctions. Ukraine is actually strengthened by no longer being engaged in an active war.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GABA ghoul posted:

How does this make more sense? It gives Putin nothing except a devastated and underdeveloped regions to financially support and a shitton of sanctions. Ukraine is actually strengthened by no longer being engaged in an active war.

It’s a war he can win decisively, but yeah; this is basically sticking your dick into a hornet nest to scoop some honey out.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

GABA ghoul posted:

He scream about how he regrets his gay, Nazi and pluralistic worldview and finally understands the eternal wisdom of petro-fascist oligarchy

It actually seems possible to achieve vs Russia has its go at forever war

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Like the truly sensible thing is “don’t piss off the gas and oil customers whose money you need to keep your government functional. Especially since you’ve already seen money problems bring your country down in living memory.” But if we have to choose insanity just expand and guarantee the independence of the Donbas separatists is less insane.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
[/quote]

I was under the impression there were a lot of factories and mines in that region.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/kofmanmichael/status/1495778130459602946

Interesting. Kofman agrees that this is a trash deal for Russia to stop at, but he’s also convinced that they won’t stop just there.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Preoptopus posted:

I was under the impression there were a lot of factories and mines in that region.

Yeah there's a significant amount of industry in the Donbass region.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Preoptopus posted:

Yes, but their gain does amount to nothing of consequence on the scale of Russian economy, even if they pay nothing and face no consequences for it.

Also half of the industrial sector there has been pillaged or is naturally decaying.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It makes sense if the threat of force is the only trick you have in the book and you've accidentally placed yourself in a position where you either have to follow through or lose the credibility of that trick.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Alchenar posted:

It makes sense if the threat of force is the only trick you have in the book and you've accidentally placed yourself in a position where you either have to follow through or lose the credibility of that trick.

I mean, the long and short is Russia is sabotaging and/or exiting a lot of agreements that heavily favor them to....back a separatist region that is more a financial liability than a benefit.

Even if Russia goes full decapitation mode and takes Kyiv, none of this is going to be an immediate, or even possibly a long term benefit to them.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I think that recorded session with Putin and his subordinates demonstrates the same sort of epistemic closure and self-poisoning that happens with so many societies dominated by state propaganda. The rational part of the policy calculus doesn't seem worth assuming anymore.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

I mean, the long and short is Russia is sabotaging and/or exiting a lot of agreements that heavily favor them to....back a separatist region that is more a financial liability than a benefit.

Even if Russia goes full decapitation mode and takes Kyiv, none of this is going to be an immediate, or even possibly a long term benefit to them.

Yeah but Russia hasn't actually gotten what it really wants from those agreements, which is a Ukraine that is aligned to it rather than a Ukraine that is solidly in the EU/NATO camp and waiting for it to blink to join. They are looking for exactly what they are saying they are looking for, which is a guarantee that Ukraine stops leaning West.

e: Keir Giles wrote this a year ago on how we see the world differently and keep getting surprised by Russia's choices

https://twitter.com/KeirGiles/status/1495781478621454338

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

I think that recorded session with Putin and his subordinates demonstrates the same sort of epistemic closure and self-poisoning that happens with so many societies dominated by state propaganda. The rational part of the policy calculus doesn't seem worth assuming anymore.

It demonstrated frankly that when you have a one man government the issue that always crops up with one man government which is that when the one man has a blind spot or is doing something stupid nobody will point that out to him or try to bring him to reason. A lot of dudes in the Russian government realize that invading is a colossally bad decision that is far more likely to backfire than have everything go right but they’re more willing to let it happen than to fall off a balcony after saying something and have it happen anyway

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It demonstrated frankly that when you have a one man government the issue that always crops up with one man government which is that when the one man has a blind spot or is doing something stupid nobody will point that out to him or try to bring him to reason. A lot of dudes in the Russian government realize that invading is a colossally bad decision that is far more likely to backfire than have everything go right but they’re more willing to let it happen than to fall off a balcony after saying something and have it happen anyway

Yeah, you could see from the security circus that quite a few people did participate on a not necessarily metaphorical gunpoint.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

What do folks here think about the idea that Russia has already made its point and gotten what it wants from all this. I read speculation that the goal was to essentially say they would be prepared to invade if Ukraine was further integrated into the West. This whole incident was just to prove that they were serious enough to set up all this, that there are some pretty serious raw feelings about how much NATO has expanded, and that Russia is prepared to do some pretty extreme things to prevent further expansion.

Intuitively this doesn't really make sense to me. I would think the more real the threat of war, the more immediate the need to join a defensive alliance, surely. I feel like once you're in the defensive alliance with a nuclear power the possibility of war is simply off the table and that's that, nothing to worry about. That seems like a more desirable state of affairs (for everyone who's not Russia) after Russia's bluster. Am I being naive?

I know there's issues with border disputes and other political considerations and gas pipelines and all that keeping Ukraine out of NATO currently, but those were already effective before Russia threatened an invasion. How is Russia's position more secure or advantageous after doing this?

There are some thoughtful informed people in this thread so I'm hoping someone can shed some insight as to what might be going on. Even though I don't really get how threatening war could benefit Russia, every other possibility here makes even less sense to me. An invasion seems like it would be disastrous.

I'm open to the idea that Russia is acting irrationally, but surely there's an internal logic and set of assumptions that make sense to them at least.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1495811405756473361

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

It's 8:30ish Moscow time. Will have to be soon.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

If you speak Russian, I recommend watching this totally normal conversation between two consenting adults, if you haven’t already

https://twitter.com/liveuamap/status/1495789247860822020

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

cinci zoo sniper posted:

If you speak Russian, I recommend watching this totally normal conversation between two consenting adults, if you haven’t already

Am I wrong when I say this feels like a student who didn't study getting scolded by his teacher?

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Epicurius posted:

Am I wrong when I say this feels like a student who didn't study getting scolded by his teacher?

seems like projection

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Stalin had some nasty habits, like he would hold parties where he would make his subordinates drink lots of vodka while he only drank tea, then he would humiliate them in front of everyone. Also wake people up in the middle of the night by calling them and ordering to come to his office for an unplanned meeting (a phone ringing in the night could always also be a warning that the NKVD is coming to get you...).

But even he wasn't sadistic enough to interrogate his ministers in live television.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Possible car bomb reported in Luhansk.
https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1495815665118236674

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Putin address "soon," per state media.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Loving all the watch watching on that council meeting.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I don't even get why he picks on противном случае or goes on that tangent? What is wrong with the phrasing?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Conspiratiorist posted:

Loving all the watch watching on that council meeting.

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit on psilocybins"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

synapse posted:

seems like projection

Quite possibly, I guess. Whats your take on the exchange?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Moon Slayer posted:

Putin address "soon," per state media.
(good lord the Lore Olympus wait has been killer)

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
t-minus 8 minutes, by the sound of it.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

So why are these guys scared to back Putin on this? Bucking your country’s leader on live TV seems like a good way to get punished or fired in most counties - what has them nervous enough to risk that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Tanks and other AFVs are large, heavy vehicles that don't like to move very much. If well-maintained and a supply of adequate spares, they're more than capable of driving through extremely harsh terrain — but if they aren't maintained, breakdowns can be frequent and debilitating. Especially if there isn't a healthy supply of spare parts.

Of course, Russia isn't going to leave a top-of-the-line T-90 rusting away in the Belorussian mud. But it is very likely that the longer the Russian army sits on the border with Ukraine, and as more vehicles are concentrated in remote places, they're going to suffer an increasing number of breakdowns, and retrieving those broken-down vehicles is going to be increasingly expensive and difficult.

Vehicles breakdowns aren't going to cripple Russian forces, of course (...probably), but it's another reason as to why a long-term mobilization on the border is inherently unsustainable.

This. Any large army is basically a small city whose sole industry is the production of incredible violence. If you think about it that way, it makes sense why moving a small city hundreds or even thousands of miles is hard and expensive.