Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Too bad 21:9 play poorly to many things so if you don't plan to play this game and only this game It may be more headaches than it deserve.

Tei fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

joepinetree posted:

Yes. My understanding is that chaos dungeons and guardian raids drop generic engravings and only abyssal dungeons drop class specific ones.

Ah this makes a lot of sense, thank you

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Tei posted:

Too bad 21:9 play poorly to many things so if you don't play to play this game and only this game It may be more headaches than it deserve.

I've been using 21:9 for maybe about half a decade now and while I'm not sure this has ever been true, it certainly isn't a hindrance today. 21:9 is great, if someone can swing it, I sincerely recommend it.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

People who are stuck in T1, you are probably missing a significant number of islands that give honing mats. I haven't met anyone who actually needed every T1 island to get to T2. I had pretty bad luck, 20+ fails in T1 and still didn't use all the islands. Go to https://lost-ark.maxroll.gg/category/island and filter by rewards instead of tokens, then look for shards or leapstones or whatever you're missing, and go to the islands you haven't done yet.

People who are freaking out about using Mari's shop. That shop is not for whales. Whales buy gold, then buy things off the AH. Free to play players sell poo poo on the AH to whales, buy blue crystals(from the same whales probably), then buy things off Mari's shop. This is the intended economy. Here's an example from today: I ran my my chaos rift, I got a blue secret map as usual, I ran my map, I got 2 moon breaths. I sold those moon breaths on the AH, I bought blue crystals with the profits, I bought 5 moon breaths from Mari's shop. Now I have 5 moon breaths, and more blue crystals than I started with and some whale has 2 moon breaths. Good deal for me, not whaling. In almost all circumstances, you can sell unbound mats on the AH and re-buy them from Mari's shop at a profit in the current economy.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
yeah, i unfortunately had several bullshit rolls on honing. i’m swimming in T2 mats, so i will check in to see maybe what i’ve missed from T1. thanks for the hint!

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

acumen posted:

I play a gunlancer main at ilvl500ish now with a 340 bard and scrapper and as long as the team does mechanics the fights are pretty easy. I typically use a couple pots per boss and generally don't know or pay attention to attack patterns because I usually play high as gently caress

Gunlancer is definitely easiest because you can just facetank everything but I haven't really noticed much of a difference from the first time I did it at 340 to now. I saw you talk about someone else having a build and if you just made up your own I'd definitely recommend reading up on a good guide for your preferred class (I'm using the maxroll guides) because it makes a big difference.

I follow maxroll, but I don't want to burn my engravings for my alts. (I don't even want to burn engravings for my main especially given that I progression locked from the second awakening that makes my paladin an actual support.) But maybe that's what I need to do to build up a better margin of error.

I said come in! posted:

My Gunslinger is 543, I am happy just taking my time and going slowly. There is no rush, but the temptation is there to go whale mode and try to increase my ilvl through gold.

I am basically taking my time as well. I have yet to do my islands since daily and weeklies with my main and alts take up my time.

joepinetree posted:

Vertus, and then later the firefox, are the first guardian bosses where things get tricky. Vertus has a grab mechanic that if not staggered or shielded will likely one shot players. The fox has a buff+dot combo that can be tricky to manage.

I have had groups where clearly someone has the ilvl to straight up tank Vertus grab with pot. I am assuming there are players that are grinding up to do guardians way below their ilvl to avoid the frustration that I am feeling and have a wider margin of error.

Elephunk posted:

This is Working as Intended, every Starcraft proleague from Korea I've watched from the past 5 years has advertised "ultrawide gaming monitor" consistently and this game is only completely visible on a 21:9 monitor.

I have tried that, but my monitor is not made for it. It adds blackbars, and with the zoomed out perspective, the small tells become harder to gauge. Also, while I can see the boss more clearly if the boss is on the west or east of my character, sometimes the boss teleports or jumps north or south, and quick attack offscreen can occur.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Yeah, I entered T2 with a ton of mats from islands there and basically went straight to Feiton after I finished Yorn, think that's pretty common. I failed a ton from 13->15 in T1 and was super annoyed until I started looking around and realized all those speed running guides skip a ton of islands from T1. T2 is a different matter though I think it's grindy for everyone unless you were basically buying out mari's shop from the start for T2 by already knowing how to play the AH/buy up blue crystals.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Flair posted:

Yesterday, I spent 6 hours on my bard dealing with the necromancer and a decent amount of silver repairing her equipment over and over again. Tell me about grinding.

The sorc I am referring to had no downtime in attacking solo. She had to do it for 7-10 minutes solo, but the range let her ignore a bunch of attacks that the guardian would have done up close.

I am not sure what to tell you. If I am just at ilvl, all 3 of my characters can only take 2-3 of the quick attacks before I need to pot up, and if I get hit by the quick attacks, sometimes there is a followup that just straight up kills me or forces a pot. Also, as far as I can tell, Bard has no extra mobility skill, and Gunlancer is really slow even with its extra mobility skill. It's not like I get killed in the first few minutes. Normally at just at ilvl guardian fights take 10-20 minutes, and I have even seen the berserk necromancer bosses. Eventually the boss needs to be slightly offscreen or some attack sequence or opening, and then I get heavily punished.

What are the classes you guys are playing? I have feeling that the disparity between our experience has to do with what our classes have to offer.

The Necromancer's Origin raid should take like ~10 minutes total at ilvl if everyone pushes all their damage buttons and does the mechanics correctly. Are you playing with premades or at least partyfinder groups who claim to know the mechanics? The state of matchmaking right now is pretty dire, and even one pubby grabbing the wrong orb in the Sigmund The Immortal boss will mean he keeps resurrecting with 12 extra bars of hp forever. If you do the mechanics right he rezzes with like 3 healthbars the first time and then permadies the second time.
And of course one person doing the mechanic wrong in the fight against Garum the dragon makes him instakill the whole party. I'd actually be really surprised to see anyone hitting the enrage timer against him, because pubbies too clueless to push their cooldowns are also gonna be too clueless to look up the fight mechanics and are inevitably gonna wipe you before it gets to that.

Also, nearly every class has almost no DPS downtime. There's a reason that in KR tier3 the most popular engravings for every class are the ones that make you take way more damage and heal less from hp potions, because nearly all damage is avoidable if you stick close to the boss. Several bosses have quick un-telegraphed moves that hit in front of them, which is why most classes bar Gunlancer specifically want to stick to the butt or sides.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I said come in! posted:

My Gunslinger is 543, I am happy just taking my time and going slowly. There is no rush, but the temptation is there to go whale mode and try to increase my ilvl through gold.

Slowly?? I just managed to do my first chaos dungeon and got myself a set of IL 302 gear which apparently is pretty nice! But now I have to start honing it and that looks like something I need to study hours reading articles about. So maybe someone could give me just a quick heads-up on what I should focus on now (still gonna head on to Shushire next probably) For example, should I try to keep the pieces with the most "quality" and what does that even mean?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

TeaJay posted:

Slowly?? I just managed to do my first chaos dungeon and got myself a set of IL 302 gear which apparently is pretty nice! But now I have to start honing it and that looks like something I need to study hours reading articles about. So maybe someone could give me just a quick heads-up on what I should focus on now (still gonna head on to Shushire next probably) For example, should I try to keep the pieces with the most "quality" and what does that even mean?

Quality is just a multiplier to the secondary stats. It's pretty minor and you don't have to care about it too much.
For honing just don't think about it too hard and open-palm slap those shards and stones into your lowest-honing-level piece until you run dry. Eventually it will get a chance-to-fail mechanic which you should basically just ignore since you can't meaningfully interact with it. Just close your eyes, don't look at the numbers, and shovel your stones in until you suddenly hit 600.

You can transfer honing level to a new piece of gear for a few pennies of silver so you don't have to care about "committing" to a bad base item with low quality or whatever. (Don't bother caring about quality.)

If you run out of chaos stones, running chaos dungeons on an alt can help since that gives non-character-bound stones that you can put into roster storage. Also, honing will pull from your storage + roster storage automatically!
If you run out of harmony shards (which you WILL), you are poo poo outta luck re:alts because all major sources for those are character bound.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 21, 2022

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I play on one character anyway, so I guess the tip is not to run out of stuff.

But yeah thanks for the gist of it. I wish some of new jewellery had _any_ crit in them, though. I guess the answer is to go again.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Actually you want to run out of stuff constantly.
If you have stuff, spend it! Until you're out of something. Then wait for the next day or go tool around on some islands until you have more stuff again.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The Necromancer's Origin raid should take like ~10 minutes total at ilvl if everyone pushes all their damage buttons and does the mechanics correctly. Are you playing with premades or at least partyfinder groups who claim to know the mechanics? The state of matchmaking right now is pretty dire, and even one pubby grabbing the wrong orb in the Sigmund The Immortal boss will mean he keeps resurrecting with 12 extra bars of hp forever. If you do the mechanics right he rezzes with like 3 healthbars the first time and then permadies the second time.
And of course one person doing the mechanic wrong in the fight against Garum the dragon makes him instakill the whole party. I'd actually be really surprised to see anyone hitting the enrage timer against him, because pubbies too clueless to push their cooldowns are also gonna be too clueless to look up the fight mechanics and are inevitably gonna wipe you before it gets to that.

Also, nearly every class has almost no DPS downtime. There's a reason that in KR tier3 the most popular engravings for every class are the ones that make you take way more damage and heal less from hp potions, because nearly all damage is avoidable if you stick close to the boss. Several bosses have quick un-telegraphed moves that hit in front of them, which is why most classes bar Gunlancer specifically want to stick to the butt or sides.

I have so much to tell with several hours of wiping at guardians and dungeons between my three characters.

By "premades", are you talking about getting a group from a guild or whatnot? In that case, no. I basically only play in public matchmaking. For my alts, most partyfinder groups seem to set an ilvl that prevent my alts from even requesting, though there is the occasional 1000 ilvl who charitably gives out free carries. Only my main has had success in partyfinder since my main has a somewhat higher ilvl. (Even with the partyfinder, however, there are players who join that actually do not know the mechanics.)

For the public matchmaking, I normally ask if there is anyone who does not know what to do and inform them otherwise, but like I said, I normally die from the non-red attacks if I am just at ilvl. It is a recipe for enrage or it makes the teamwork mechanics easier since fewer players alive on Garum, for instance, makes it less often that players screw up the order of cleansing. Nonetheless, I have had a public necromancer where I informed them the mechanics well enough for Sigmund, but we straight up did not have the DPS to deal with Sigmund before berserk because we had two bards, one of them included me.

I can tell that the bosses have very quick or small tells for its non-frontal attacks, but for instance, if Vertus tail is offscreen, I cannot tell if Vertus is going to 360 tail swipe or do some other random sequence. There is also that there are times that I have sticked to the bosses' sides or rear end, but then they just turn about face and do their quick attacks. When I am upclose, I have also gotten stuck underneath the guardians and then I am just screwed.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Pragmatica posted:

i’m a sorc and play on 21:9. it’s a game changer as ranged. haha

playing on a 15” macbook pro from 5 years ago and it suuuucks. reading guides for guardian raids like “watch for when he raises his lil paw” okay lmao

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Flair posted:

I follow maxroll, but I don't want to burn my engravings for my alts. (I don't even want to burn engravings for my main especially given that I progression locked from the second awakening that makes my paladin an actual support.) But maybe that's what I need to do to build up a better margin of error.

The regular battle engravings (grudge, cursed doll, etc) are probably ok to hold off for a bit but class engravings are pretty major bonuses to your dps, utility, or survivability (my gunlancer gets +20% blue damage always and +50% shielding in shield mode). I'm pretty sure prioritizing those is important.

I was too lazy and uninterested in island hopping for my gunlancer and bard class engravings as they were both boosted, so I just bought the books off the AH for a few hundred gold. Not really the best way to spend but it saved a lot of time which is definitely my most premium thing at this point.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I run 1440p naturally and just swapped to force 21:9 around 20 levels ago and it works fine. I don't even notice the letterboxing at this point.

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!
So I did not do a ton of research before playing, I figured I would grab a dps class (now I know they are all fundamentally dps) go thought the story and then boost a dude or two and pick a main.

Is that viable? I'm just past the point where I got the vern pass, is it better to play my starter for now as I will still use them as an alt or what?

I guess what I'm asking is, when is it optimal to switch characters? I assume the power pass puts my boosted dude to about the same place as my main is now?

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

Yeah, when you get Powerpass is a good time and then every time you jump tiers and have the associated research to speed up the previous one. The deeper you are gearing in a tier the bigger the uphill climb gets to make a swap.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

What the gently caress do I do with all these god drat engravings. Is there a difference between the rarities with them? I'm going to just have to look up a guide every single time I want to upgrade my character I guess?

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

S.J. posted:

What the gently caress do I do with all these god drat engravings. Is there a difference between the rarities with them? I'm going to just have to look up a guide every single time I want to upgrade my character I guess?

engravings are something you will want to look up a guide for because the books are rare, and the selection is important. i know there are a lot of "you must to this the correct way" or "super fast way to T3" nonsense for MANY of the game systems, etc... but engravings are something you want to understand so you don't waste a bunch of books.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

S.J. posted:

You have to unlock the green tier before you can unlock the blue tier, and so on.

If you haven't unlocked your uncommon Class engraving that's worth doing. Uncommon Battle engravings are fairly useless, so I would just stockpile the books until you're ready to jump to rare/epic, at which point you'll know what skills you need.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

admanb posted:

You have to unlock the green tier before you can unlock the blue tier, and so on.

If you haven't unlocked your uncommon Class engraving that's worth doing. Uncommon Battle engravings are fairly useless, so I would just stockpile the books until you're ready to jump to rare/epic, at which point you'll know what skills you need.

Oh so I gotta stockpile and use the green versions before I pick up the blue books to get the next tier of that engraving?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

S.J. posted:

Oh so I gotta stockpile and use the green versions before I pick up the blue books to get the next tier of that engraving?

Yeah, you can't use blue books for an engraving without having used 20 green books for it first. The only engravings that really matter for most classes until T3 (maaybe T2 if you really want to optimize T2 for unclear reasons) are your class ones, so just pick which of your 2 class engravings you want and get that and then equip your class engraving on both slots. Then shove all other engraving poo poo in a bank without opening it so it stacks.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Elephunk posted:

Go into your NVidia Control Panel in Windows and disable VSync there to fix the framerate

Yo thanks for this, I still have frame drops here and there but nothing like where it'd slow to a crawl and all the animations would get all janky anymore. Particularly in a busy town.

Edit: Also just to clarify, I saw this complaint a lot so I assume this is just a thing but there's no way to move or shrink the loot popup in the middle of the screen is there? poo poo gets in the way quite a bit now.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 21, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

M. Night Skymall posted:

Yeah, you can't use blue books for an engraving without having used 20 green books for it first. The only engravings that really matter for most classes until T3 (maaybe T2 if you really want to optimize T2 for unclear reasons) are your class ones, so just pick which of your 2 class engravings you want and get that and then equip your class engraving on both slots. Then shove all other engraving poo poo in a bank without opening it so it stacks.

OTOH you can easily get class engravings from the jewelry drops from abyss raids if you do that. And the blue general-engraving selector boxes seem to be given out much more often than class selector boxes. So set yourself up with a nice general-purpose blue engraving like Adrenaline that can work on most classes and then just get your class engrave from earrings.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Being able to use your class engraving twice in the bottom left inventory spaces meant that getting 20 of my blue class engraving book was super important because having +15 total to that is a much bigger boost than any of the generic engravings. I'm near the end of T2 and I currently have two +15 engravings and one +10 equipped, and it feels like the only way to get any better at this point would be a very very lucky ability stone.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

M. Night Skymall posted:

Dope, thanks everyone!

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
So one of the best runes for my class is behind a vendor that you need to do quests 7 days in a row to unlock. But my understanding is that you should be able to visit other people's strongholds. Is there a way that I can search and find a stronghold with the vendor, and then be able to buy from that vendor? I see there is a search function for "has wondering merchant" in the stronghold community menu, but I haven't figured out if it is something that is possible or not.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

OTOH you can easily get class engravings from the jewelry drops from abyss raids if you do that. And the blue general-engraving selector boxes seem to be given out much more often than class selector boxes. So set yourself up with a nice general-purpose blue engraving like Adrenaline that can work on most classes and then just get your class engrave from earrings.

Mmmm yeah I currently have +5 Desperate Prayer from jewelry on my Bard so I'd probably be best off learning Expert or Awakening to blue and double-equipping that.

It just feels bad being dependent on jewelry, since whenever you hit a new sub-tier you fully replace it.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

M. Night Skymall posted:

People who are stuck in T1, you are probably missing a significant number of islands that give honing mats. I haven't met anyone who actually needed every T1 island to get to T2.
I used every island, maxed chaos vendor on certain stuff for 2 resets, and maxed pirate coins twice for certain mats. I even leveraged shadespire floors 1-24 mats on my main by doing it on an alt first.

The one thing I did wrong in T1 was not doing world bosses & chaos events & the maps from chaos events in a map share. I've done that in T2 and it helps quite a bit.

T2 is looking similar. Pretty sure I will need reset thursday and still not get 15 until ~tuesday next week at the earliest unless my alt makes it to t2. Which is going to hinge more on me having time to do the quests because I think I have enough mats hoarded to push an alt to t2.

It's fine though. There's a ton of stuff to do that doesn't involve upgrading my gear, and when I run out of mats I go do other stuff. I've been lazily working on a bunch of alts as well now that my main is in t2. And managed to hoard a decent amount of gold although I've been converting to crystals because I bet the gold:crystal price will tank over the next few weeks & converting in-game stuff into a larger stash and more card slots etcetc is nice.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 21, 2022

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Now I just need to figure out which of the class engravings I should go for with Striker, they both seem pretty neat.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

S.J. posted:

Now I just need to figure out which of the class engravings I should go for with Striker, they both seem pretty neat.

I'd definitely recommend esoteric flurry in earlier tiers cause the other one feels really slow before you can generate a lot of identity gauge

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Hit T3 today

No luck in the chaos dungeon runs for the full starter T3 set (4/5 except weapon)

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
hot drat I didn’t know gear scores went that high

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Kaysette posted:

hot drat I didn’t know gear scores went that high

when you break through tiers it jumps up. For example, you have to hit 600 to finish T1 but as soon as you do you run chaos dungeons for 802. Same thing happens at 1100 to 1302.

current max is 1370, I believe

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Gyoru posted:

Hit T3 today

No luck in the chaos dungeon runs for the full starter T3 set (4/5 except weapon)

I didn't even realize you could change the character select background. I guess I never had a reason to look at that corner of the screen.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Gyoru posted:

Hit T3 today

Congrats man. I’m trying to catch up but I’m stuck in t2 +14/15 upgrade failure hell

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

SkyeAuroline posted:

AMD. :smith:
I'll see if there's anything comparable next time I'm at my PC, though disabling VSync sounds like the absolute opposite of the goal of "enable VSync and/or a framerate cap".

Just following up - yeah, this either doesn't exist in Radeon software or I already had it turned off anyway. So, guess I'm hosed on performance.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SkyeAuroline posted:

Just following up - yeah, this either doesn't exist in Radeon software or I already had it turned off anyway. So, guess I'm hosed on performance.

What card do you have? I’ve run this game on multiple different cards and had decent results on all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

What’s your favorite big numbers class?

I’ve been playing Paladin and blue Gunlancer and neither is scratching the big crits itch. I burned myself out a bit on Berserker and red Gunlancer hasn’t clicked for me yet for whatever reason (even though it’s aesthetically awesome), so I’m looking for something new.