Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for not putting my husband's children in my will?

She just needs to point to the prenup and remind him they already figured this out years ago. I know he'll say things are different now that he is poor but that's not much of a "her" problem unless she can't pay the bills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

My [20/F] boyfriend [25/m] told me he doesn’t think of me. Did I over react ?

quote:

We were on a phone call, I can’t remember what lead to this conversation but we started talking about our daily routines. I told him that sometimes I wonder “what is he doing right now?”. He told me that he doesn’t think of me he just thinks about waking up, going to work and going to sleep or play a game with his friends. I’m hurt for some reason. I’m starting to feel maybe I like him more then he likes me. I don’t know if I’m overreacting but I can’t get over it.

TL;DR: Btw we have a long distance relationship. And my significant other told me he doesn’t think of me

Pure honesty, one of the greatest traits a man can possess

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for not putting my husband's children in my will?

Jack is threatening to leave me over this.

Lmao at least that would solve the inheritance problem. You should just let it happen lady.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Yeh it's not about the costs, it's about the idea that toys are for children and families, and if you don't have either of those then naturally, you should be willing to defer to families and sacrifice these things to those who enjoy play most - children. Lots of people think single adults keeping playthings for themselves is selfish and childish. I guarantee that Switch-asking-mom's defense is that their family will get 'more joy' out of the Switch than a single man would.

switch asking mom definitely doesn't actually care about her children getting joy out of it, she just saw the opportunity to be a judgemental inconvenience and took it

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Halloween Jack posted:

AITA for for saying the reason I’ve lost weight is because I expect to give part of my liver to my dad.

Just be honest. I've lost 20 pounds in the last year because I started having chronic diarrhea, and I tell everyone who asks.

Captain Hygiene posted:

My [20/F] boyfriend [25/m] told me he doesn’t think of me. Did I over react ?

Pure honesty, one of the greatest traits a man can possess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UMCrq-bBCg

quote:

I bet you think about me, yes
I bet you think about me
I bet you think about me when you’re out
At your cool indie music concerts every week
I bet you think about me in your house
With your organic shoes and your million dollar couch
I bet you think about me when you say “oh my god
She’s insane, she wrote a song about me”
I bet you think about me

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

I think "give me your [x], I need it more than you" is my new favorite genre, I don't remember it being nearly as much of a thing in the older r/r I used to read. Obviously a switch is a huge step down from demanding someone's house or kids, but I'm still just blown away by how many people get angry at someone refusing to just outright give away their own property, as if that demand makes any sort of reasonable sense.

I like how in many of these they've already told the kids that the person is giving it to them before demanding/asking for it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Nothing will ever beat the Mosquito Coast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZU0faXXfX4

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I've met some pretty unreasonable people in my life but most of these stories would have me questioning my sanity if it happened to me. I can't decide if they're all trolls or if the world is just even stupider than I could have ever imagined. Reading this thread over the years I think has somewhat warped my view of humans in general.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I've met some pretty unreasonable people in my life but most of these stories would have me questioning my sanity if it happened to me. I can't decide if they're all trolls or if the world is just even stupider than I could have ever imagined. Reading this thread over the years I think has somewhat warped my view of humans in general.

I've run into people like this. Semifunctional nitwits who somehow manage to mostly bumble their way through life. The world is indeed stupider than we can imagine.
Outside of r/relationships, you can enjoy the HermanCainAwards where stupidity and ignorance reign supreme.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

William Bear posted:

Just be honest. I've lost 20 pounds in the last year because I started having chronic diarrhea, and I tell everyone who asks.

Please make an appointment with a gastroenterologist. You need to get screened for cancer and inflammatory disease.

Motronic posted:

I like how in many of these they've already told the kids that the person is giving it to them before demanding/asking for it.

That's probably the only reason the OP will escape without looking like a monster in this one. Poor effort by the moocher.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Motronic posted:

Well of course they did since that means the person who actually owns the thing can't say no now because it would make the other person look bad.

I like them too because the pure entitlement people have never ceases to amaze me. Just going through life believing being told "no" is worse than the Holocaust. I literally cannot understand it but I love laughing at it.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Evil Willow posted:

My(25m) friends(25f) BF(26m) won't let me be a part of the relationship even though it's none sexually/romantically and we agreed on it.

(Update) My(25m) Friends(25f) BF(26m) doesn't want me being part of the relationship and now she won't hang out with me.

I seriously have no words.

Lol the comments

quote:

Yeah I see your point I am not taking their feelings into account much yet but that's because they haven't given it a fair chance so they can't have true feelings this early on. BF doesn't know me personally so views me as lesser than him and an annoyance, thinking he is all A needs. But we are both equally important, and he needs to understand that. We are two pillars holding up A. Without either of us she would crumble down.

When we sit down to eat on Saturday (after theyve had a cinema date without me which I'm not happy about but I'll let slide) I will talk to each of them about what they'd like ALL of our roles to be and ask them to be completely honest. I will take into account what BF says and take on board criticism, as long as he will listen to me and we can try and meet half way.

I'm not trying to claim her, but without a pillar a monument crumbles.

quote:

quote:

I don't know why people are saying this. Best friends and significant others are the two pillars that hold you up. Without both you would crumble.

quote:

That's an insane thing to say.

quote:

It's called a metaphor and it's a very wise thing to say. I actually came up with it by myself. Social media people don't understand real life friendship.

Without me she'll crumble! She's made of decomposed granite!

eta:

quote:

I said this on the date and A smiled because she really liked it but BF didn't and held a straight face. So I stopped being poetic and asked questions about him and his role for now and the future to try and get to know him instead. I really gave it all of my effort.

quote:

You'll be pleased to know I've got a date this weekend with a girl who is a friend of As so I won't be in the relationship any more. I told A I was going to leave it and she seemed okay. I haven't told her I'm dating her friend (J) and it's not set in stone as a date yet but I am hoping good things will come of it.
Here we go again!

trickybiscuits fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 21, 2022

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

r/relationships: It's called a metaphor and it's a very wise thing to say. I actually came up with it by myself

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
My(32f) new housemate(27m) keeps leaving the stove on overnight. I don't know what more I can do as no one seems to care.

quote:

I live in a houseshare with 3 adults. The newest one has only been here 2 weeks. He's left 2 hobs (rings) on the stove on 3 times, twice overnight on high. The third time I went down in the middle of the night and turned them off, or else they would have been left on. That time there was an empty frying pan on top of one of them. My room is directly above the kitchen with all of my electrical equipment above where the stove is.

I've told him and he's apologised, I've told the landlord and she just says to have a word with him. Told her I've done this already and she says "hopefully it will be the last time." I reported it to maintainence and they're foreign and didn't understand me on the phone so I emailed. They replied saying "we've checked and the cooker is working fine." So none of them care at all.

I love my flat and have 7 months left on contract so I can't and don't want to move because of this. Part of me hopes there is a (small) fire so they start taking it seriously. What can I do? I'm going to work for 12 hours every day stressing about this.

There is a fire alarm but it's a bit of a distance away from the stove and hasn't gone off yet. No one is in the house during the day and alarms go off for hours on end in our area, so I don't think that would help at all.

TL:Dr: new housemate keeps leaving the stove on, I've done everything I can think of and spoken to everyone, no one seems to care.

Jesus christ I hope this person broke their lease before the apartment went up in flames :stare:

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Coca Koala posted:

My(32f) new housemate(27m) keeps leaving the stove on overnight. I don't know what more I can do as no one seems to care.

Jesus christ I hope this person broke their lease before the apartment went up in flames :stare:

When my grandfather briefly lived with us due to dementia and finding a decent nursing home, he had the habit of trying to cook. By cook I mean putting empty pans on lit burners and wandering away. It wasn't malicious like this 27m moron though. We handled it by removing the knobs as he was took weak in the hands to push in and turn the sticks the knobs would attach to. Too bad the op account is suspended, I don't know if there's an update.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Coca Koala posted:

My parents were big tea drinkers and would frequently put the kettle on the stove and then wander off. After ruining
kettle after kettle (the whistle would melt the bottom would warp) we finally bought them an electric kettle with auto-shutoff.
I like gas stoves for the BTU performance but drat are they fire hazards if you're not paying close attention.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Our kittens kept turning on the stove burners by climbing up on the counter. They don’t light the burners but they’ve definitely turned on the gas.

I just removed the knobs and keep them in a bowl next to the stove so I can grab as many as I need.

Hide the knobs OP.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:catstare:
Man, the most my cat has done is to try and trip me at night when the lights are out

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Coca Koala posted:

More smoke detectors. Maybe put one into a sturdy wire container with a padlock that only they have the key to. I'm a big believer in safety measures and in making your problem everyone else's problem.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

just take the burners off the stove and keep them away from that lunatic

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Man, the most my cat has done is to try and trip me at night when the lights are out

Mine learned how to turn off my CPAP machine. It took a lot of effort to retrain him on that one, he regarded any attention as play so it was about not engaging and ignoring him. Turn the machine back on, lie down, don't cuddle or anything, same as when he played too rough. He eventually got the hint.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
As someone whose oven just broke, my go-to solution would be to flip the breaker.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
It sounds like an electric stove, so a possibility may be to install a smart outlet to it so it can be programmed to shut off at night or during working hours?

It's a rental unit though so that's probably much more difficult to accomplish than if they had full control over maintenance and upgrades.
Get a safe, place the stove knobs in the safe, do not share the combo.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Rescue Toaster posted:

Please make an appointment with a gastroenterologist. You need to get screened for cancer and inflammatory disease.

I was exaggerating. It was 10 pounds, it was in combination with some diet and exercise changes, and the diarrhea (now mostly under control) was caused by the onset of lactose intolerance.

Sorry, it was a dumb thing to joke about.

As apology, let me change the subject to a wonderful story of love conquering fear.

Am I(27F) out of line for wanting my boyfriend(27M) of two years to get rid of his snakes?

quote:

throwaway because reasons

Me and my boyfriend have been together for two years, and he has had his two pet snakes for about 6 and 4 years.

So some background on him. He's always been an animal lover but his parents restricted him on his pet ownership (I think they let him have a fish and the family dogs). He currently works as a vet tech. So after he finished college he moved into his current apartment, and I guess as a symbol of his newfound freedom he bought his first snake Koga the corn snake. He has a bunch of pictures of when he brought him home and when he was only a couple inches long(this snake is now 4 1/2 feet for context). So two years go by and one day while he's at work a man comes in with a cardboard with a badly injured ball python inside. The man had fed it live rats and one attacked the snake giving it a lot of bites and scratches. The snake was hurt but savable, but the guy didn't want to spend any money on it so just left it there. My boyfriend adopted her and took care of her recovery. He named her Scar and he loves her just as much as Koga. They're like dogs to him.

So I came on the scene two years ago (almost three). He had mentioned them on one of our early dates and I expressed my dislike of snakes. He was very understanding and doesn't take them out or feed them around me, but it still mildly unsettles e having the there when I'm there. We've been talking about moving in together but I don't think I could be housemates with snakes.

Our relationship has been great and I really wanna take this next step but I don't know how to bring this up. He's also expressed an interest in getting more snakes and other pets. In his own words he wants to have a mini zoo.

I don't want to lose him over this and any help/advice is appreciated.

tl;dr: Me and boyfriend talking about moving in together, don't think I can handle his pet snakes. Do I have any right to feel this way and what are some options?

A later update: :3:

My(27f) boyfriend's(27m) snakes were giving me coldfeet about moving in.

quote:

First off thanks to everyone who commented on my last post and put things into perspective, rereading that post made me feel like such an idiot.

So that night we sat down and I told him my feelings on his snakes but I made sure he knew I was not asking him to get rid of them and I wanted to get over my fear. He was very understanding and we set up a sort of schedule for me over the next month. I would start off just watching them do their snake business and increase the time watching, then they would be brought out and eventually we got to the point where he can bring them out and I'll hold them.

We also talked about how many pets he wanted and he said he wanted to have a little bit of everything without being a hoarder, but he'll always discuss it with me first. So I don't have to worry about him coming home with a cobra or something (I'm kidding.).

Am I as into snakes as he is? No. Do I like them? A lot more than I used to. I still can't watch when he feeds them mice but at least I don't feel uncomfortable just being around them. We are looking for a place that allows animals at the moment and last week we welcomed a new member to our zoo. A friend of mine from work had a kid who didn't want their parakeet anymore, so now Twitter is a welcome addition :).

tl;dr: Things literally couldn't have gone better. I'm no longer afraid of snakes and we're looking for a new place. Also we have a bird.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

guys on an electric stove you can just pull the burners off with no effort

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Biplane posted:

r/relationships: It's called a metaphor and it's a very wise thing to say. I actually came up with it by myself

I think this is unhinged enough for a thread title if it'll fit.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I like the idea of stealing safeguarding the elements themselves too if it's that style of stove, just to add that extra visual illustration that they're incapable of using a stove safely

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.
r/relationships: it's not set in stone as a date yet but I am hoping good things will come of it

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for making my aunt cry and leave the party?

quote:

I had a girlfriend for many years when I lived in my hometown so she knew a lot of my family. Unfortunately our relationship was terrible and she ended up stepping out on me. When I met my now wife after the end of that relationship she really helped me build my self esteem and convinced me to believe in myself.

With her help I moved to the city of my dreams and have been pursuing my passions and found happiness and success in my field and in hindsight I can say the year I met her up to the point of meeting her was the worst year of my life and a point I was mentally at my lowest. I didn’t have the worlds for it then but essentially I was extremely depressed.

Another thing my wife has taught me is I don’t need to be a doormat to family members. When I lived in my hometown my aunts and mom were constantly micromanaging me and nitpicking me, barging into my house, taking my things and even car without asking and just expecting me to smile and take it. So since moving I’ve been low contact.

Well my wife and I just had a baby 5 months ago and my one aunt since we got pregnant has been over stepping our boundaries. She also has been perhaps not intentionally but casually racist about some of the choices because my wife is Korean and we have included her culture into our life and our child’s.

Today we went to a small gathering at my parents and my aunt was being extra rude. She ended up saying something about “Well you don’t want people thinking he’s full oriental” and I told her that wasn’t the appropriate term nor would I care if anyone thought that. She rolled her eyes at me and said she missed the old days before I became the “woke police” and then she asked “Have you spoken to that nice girl “ex” lately? I miss her.” now she has brought up my ex like this almost every time I have seen her and in the past I would just say no or avoid the question but I decided I didn’t want it coming up anymore.

I flatly said I still had not spoken to her since seeing her naked on top of my co-worker in our shared bed and that I don’t intend to. I then said I don’t miss the old days because I like not feeling crushing depression everyday and learning the appropriate way to not be racist to my wife and son wasn’t being woke it was the basics of being polite and decent.

She looked shocked and then ran over to my mom to tell her what I had said. My mom kind of shrugged but gave me a look. Then my aunt went to her husband and started crying. Her husband came over and called me an “arrogant little poo poo” and demanded I apologize. I said I would when she did so to my wife and child. One of my others aunts came and got him out of my face and he and my rude aunt ended up leaving. We left shortly after because things felt weird.

My mom was obviously displeased by the drama and my cousin has messaged me to say I need to give her mom a break but I think I did what needed to be done.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Hughlander posted:

AITA for making my aunt cry and leave the party?

you didn't bold "Well you don’t want people thinking he’s full oriental" but don't sleep on that insanity

you never go full oriental

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

trickybiscuits posted:

Lol the comments

Without me she'll crumble! She's made of decomposed granite!

eta:

Here we go again!

Oh cool, he found a new girl to stalk.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Blastedhellscape posted:

Oh cool, he found a new girl to stalk.

Bet you can’t even come up with a metaphor

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, I was dead asleep and girlfriend was still up reading a book before bed. She recognized the click of the stove igniter from the other room, woke me up jumping out of bed and found that they’d managed to turn on the gas but not actually light it.

Kittens are definitely trying to kill us. They also defeated the oven keypad child lock by standing on the weird button combo long enough to turn it off.

The automated spray can works well tho!

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If her dad's an alcoholic, will they even give him a partial transplant?

Blessedly, no. While alcoholics are technically not forbidden from getting transplants for legal reasons, they are rightly put at the bottom of the queue, so in practice will never get them.

But the OP isn't actually farming her liver to give to her trash dad. She's just saying it to dunk on him.

AITA for lying to my partner to avoid his hoarded home?

quote:

I (F31) have been seeing my Partner (M38) for 4 years. He and I are Polyam, and my Partner has another Partner (F38) that he has been married to for 14 years. His partner is a very nice person and while we aren’t best friends, we socialize well when we are together. The issue, is that his wife is a Hoarder. In the 5 years since we have been together, I have been to their house one time, early in the relationship. The cleanliness of the home was way beyond what I can easily handle. Piles of junk, clothes, boxes, etc. Their furniture smelled like the dog had peed on it. Their bathroom appears to never have been cleaned. I made the excuse that I was allergic to his dog, and that the fur made me sneeze too much. (I don’t have an allergy to dogs. I grew out of one as a child.)

The reality is that I can not stand being around that mess. My partner bathes regularly and keeps his clothes in a set aside area in their laundry room, so his clothes never smell or anything like that. He is aware of the hoarding and doesn’t like it. At this point, he feels trapped by her stuff and despite talking to her about it, nothing ever changes. He is resolved to stay with his wife because he loves her and will never leave or kick her out. His marriage is not really something I ever give my thoughts on, as it’s not my place to do so.

He has been saying the last year or so that he would really like me to come and stay at his house sometimes, but I have always used my allergy as an excuse. Recently he has started suggesting taking medicine. I know he feels a lot of shame about his house and I don’t want to make it worse by telling him the truth about why I don’t want to go there.

Am I the rear end in a top hat for lying to him?
(added paragraph breaks)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Mx. posted:

invite them to your house to give them the money

then you reveal the acid bath

Go old school & put a doorbell-activated trapdoor to the acid bath under the welcome mat

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Biplane posted:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for accepting a weeks paid vacation and leaving my fiancé at home?

quote:

I (35M) was invited on a last minute snowboarding vacation with my brothers. I don’t snowboard and it seemed like a lot of money to spend on a trip I wouldn’t be doing much on, so I declined. The next day I went to visit my Mom and was told my brother has paid for my vacation, and we leave in a few hours.

I called my fiancé (34F) and asked if she minded me going for the weekend and she seemed okay about it and said it was okay.

It turns out the trip is actually for a full week, and my brothers were both bringing their partners and my Mom was coming too.

My lady was really upset when she found out how long the trip was, and it means she has to cover for me at work (we both do the same job from home) and that she wasn’t invited.

She made a big deal about it but I’m just going to hang with my family so I don’t see what her issue is.

She says she’s hurt because the trip is for a full week, leaves her alone at home with more work to do and she was the only person not invited, but I know she wouldn’t have wanted to come anyway.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

r/relationships: I know she wouldn’t have wanted to come anyway

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I mean, what else could I have done after finding out it was an entire week? I had already given my word, and was thus bound by Vacation Law

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
lol, the guy's family hates her so much that not only do they not invite her, they deliberately shanghai her husband behind her back

I wonder why she wouldn't have wanted to come