Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Waste of Breath posted:

I was picturing more of a butt weld situation in the description, but the two go well together.

If you do a butt weld, are you required to yell "rear end TO rear end"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Unperson_47 posted:

This poo poo should be illegal to drive.

No, it should just require a CDL

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I’ve been waiting for someone to post this for welding chat

https://youtu.be/GmlXzd0NSDc

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

So I read this thing that said even though trucks have gotten bigger their towing capacity and such has pretty much remained the same. Is this true? I figure this thread would know

Also we got a thread title change request and I wanted to know whether y'all wanted a thread title update or you're cool with this one. Happy to change it to whatever y'all would like or you can keep it

EDIT: I may have asked this before (trucks) but my memory is awful so apologies if I did

There's a couple parts to this.
  1. Manufacturers used to just throw whatever number in the brochure that they wanted but there has been more of a push lately to make some sort of industry standard like "can tow this up a slight incline for X distance without the transmission overheating". Don't know if this went anywhere.
  2. Trucks have also benefitted from the Moar Horsepower trend cars have been in, but you also need a transmission that can deal with that, cooling for both, axles and brakes, springs etc. Back in the 80s the little 2 door Jeep Comanche (a Cherokee with a bed instead of a back seat) had a "Metric Ton" package that let you put 2200lbs in the bed. Even accounting for the previous point, if you hit a pothole in an empty truck with springs stiff enough to carry (not tow) that much weight, I'd imagine you'd knock a tooth out.
  3. There isn't much of a need. Truck commercials like to pretend people buy an F250 to carry a bunch of poo poo to a jobsite, but flatbeds and box-trucks do that a poo poo-ton better. The real reason the US leads the world in pickup ownership is because we lead the world in boat/camper/atv ownership and those things haven't gotten heavier.
And that's to say nothing of the majority of people who really want a minivan but don't want to look like a dork so they bought an SUV and now they're moving on to trucks. "Oh wait, I can't fit my kids inside and my groceries are getting wet when it rains. Better make the cab as big as an SUV but I still have to pretend I have work to do so the bed needs to stay the same size. Why are all the parking spaces half as big as they used to be?"

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

The Bandit posted:

I’ve been waiting for someone to post this for welding chat

https://youtu.be/GmlXzd0NSDc

"Don't try this at home" he says after setting up an industrial lathe the size of a small car.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

how do we get to the point of needing cameras to see what is in front of the car and not realize hey maybe this is hosed up

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The target audience is literally people who want to commit vehicular manslaughter. These are for people who want to run over protestors.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
So many of those are going to be hosed up by bollards.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Here the standard tradie vehicle is a ute that came from the factory with a flat-bed but was subsequently converted with a 'canopy' that has a ton of compartments and pull-out drawers for all your tools and consumables (bulk materials should be on-site already, not your job to carry them).

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'd like to see what a dug-in Kraut 88 would do to that pickup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE5_u-no8Zs

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The Lone Badger posted:

Here the standard tradie vehicle is a ute that came from the factory with a flat-bed but was subsequently converted with a 'canopy' that has a ton of compartments and pull-out drawers for all your tools and consumables (bulk materials should be on-site already, not your job to carry them).

It'd be loving amazing if they made a new El Camino with this kind of option but that would be a Practical Vehicle and so is not allowed to be sold in America, where your vehicle needs to proudly proclaim your (imaginary) penis size to all and sundry.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

this is exactly how I approach squirrels in the streets, I drive straight forward at a constant speed and the squirrels do not go under my wheels.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

New Frogger: world edition looking intense

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

That is one nihilistic game of frogger right there.

edit: beaten to the joke. :fail:

The Wurst Poster fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Feb 21, 2022

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Cthulu Carl posted:

If you do a butt weld, are you required to yell "rear end TO rear end"?

If you aren't yelling rear end TO rear end! at least daily on random occasions, I don't even know what to say.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

FuturePastNow posted:

The Maverick would be perfect if it had a model with less cab and more bed but the cowards won't sell a ute in the US
I really want the maverick, but with an 8 foot bed. People poo poo on pickups, but they're super useful even if you're not hauling gravel all day. Please give me one that's not obnoxiously large and gets good mileage.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Slugworth posted:

I really want the maverick, but with an 8 foot bed. People poo poo on pickups, but they're super useful even if you're not hauling gravel all day. Please give me one that's not obnoxiously large and gets good mileage.

Oh I wasn't making GBS threads on pickups as something to haul stuff. Just the jerk bags who tie their masculinity or self worth into having the biggest pickup on the street. That's why pickups keep getting more obnoxiously large.

That Dang Lizard
Jul 13, 2016

what; an idiomt
I always thought vacuum welding sounded pretty cool, you just get the things you want to weld into a vacuum, clean off any oxidization, and then stick them together*, and as long as they're the same material on both sides they're essentially tricked into becoming a single object.

* although I understand they need to be ground as close to perfectly flat as possible and then use a special jig to slide them together so you get the entire surface touching at the same moment, iirc.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Slugworth posted:

I'd take one even with a 6' bed. 4.5 sucks for carrying sheet goods. 6' is long enough to make it work with the gate down.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CaPM86ml9q_/?utm_medium=share_sheet

North American Rescue with a post about utilizing traffic cones

Note while this is safe for work a lot of their posts are not so be warned if you decide to check out their feed

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

rare to see your monitor turn on you

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'd like to see what a dug-in Kraut 88 would do to that pickup.

The Sherman:
-Cresting a hill? Skip off, gouge a giant gash in the front armor, scare the entire crew shitless in a very literal sense as they hit reverse while the entire vehicle resonates like a giant bell around them.
-Flat terrain? 88mm of Teutonic gently caress You goes right through and lodges itself in the engine before detonating.

Angled armor is a bitch if used properly and the Sherman was designed so tall so it had room for the cannon's breach to swing up when they depressed the guns. A hull-down Sherman is an absolute bitch to take frontally. As compared to just about anyone else at the time who made their tanks short/flat so they were easier to hide behind a hill but had gently caress-all gun depression so cresting a that hill under fire was a good way to commit suicide. Source: too many hours playing War Thunder.

The Brodozer? I remember a while back someone posted a video of the aftermath when some contractor's brodozer slammed at high speed into a fresno scraper. The largest piece of the truck was basically the right half of the chassis: the left side and everything above was gone. Driver died immediately. Construction equipment? Some scratches that will buff out. I imagine the aftermath of an 88mm HE shell going off would be like a bulldozer suddenly spawned into existence inside the truck due to a teleporter accident. That assumes a frontal shot through the engine block or an excellently placed timed fuse. I refuse to believe the cabin material of those brodozers have enough metal to set off an 88mm's impact fuse unless the gun crew nails a support beam, so a side shot would almost certainly overpenetrate.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 21, 2022

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Zetsubou-san posted:

i swear angelfire still exists just so this one link will work

Forgive me I'm a a bit behind but it also exists for the Chernobyl motorcycle womans site to stay up too.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

Alkydere posted:

The Sherman:
-Cresting a hill? Skip off, gouge a giant gash in the front armor, scare the entire crew shitless in a very literal sense as they hit reverse while the entire vehicle resonates like a giant bell around them.

And if taken with the paint job option, it will burst into flames and cook everyone inside.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

GotLag posted:

:golfclap:

Alkydere posted:

The Brodozer? I remember a while back someone posted a video of the aftermath when some contractor's brodozer slammed at high speed into a fresno scraper.

Aren't Fresno scrapers horse-drawn? What did it hit?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Beef posted:

And if taken with the paint job option, it will burst into flames and cook everyone inside.

Just like when Sherman went to Atlanta.:patriot:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

GotLag posted:

...in Soviet Russia!

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

The Lone Badger posted:

Here the standard tradie vehicle is a ute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i2eZaJsC7g

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

ATM Cave in this case stands for Actun Tunichil Muknal Cave and if you’re ever in belize it’s a crazy way to spend a day they just let tourists in to walk around with the mayan pottery and skeletons. Most of them have crushed skulls tho so that one is the most photogenic.

Our tour guide was incredibly casual about leading us off the path, digging up some Mayan pottery, and then breaking a piece off to show how it was made. Belize is really, really nonchalant about their heritage.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
yeah, i'll belize it when i see it

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'd take one even with a 6' bed. 4.5 sucks for carrying sheet goods. 6' is long enough to make it work with the gate down.
You can fit sheets of plywood in a minivan that has stow and go style seats. And still close the back gate.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
One of my favorite things at work is to refer to my coworkers' vaguely truck shaped vehicles as sedans, because they have four doors. I have one coworker with a pickup designed for actual work and he's joined in.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
why don't they start making trucks that are forward control / cabover?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
The other selling point for trucks these days is the seats. My mom has hip problems, and finding a sedan with seats that work for her has been a bitch. She’d love a Subaru, but the Outback is not terribly plush.

You know what vehicles have plush as gently caress seats? Giant trucks. They’re also easier for olds to get in and out of than cars where your rear end is closer to the ground. Plus they give that false sense of security that old people enjoy.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Crankit posted:

why don't they start making trucks that are forward control / cabover?

Jeep should bring back the FC instead of making Wrangler abominations

Here's an amazing and very OSHA article about getting one running BTW: https://jalopnik.com/i-bought-the-worlds-most-hopeless-jeep-bringing-it-bac-1846836392

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Cichlidae posted:

Our tour guide was incredibly casual about leading us off the path, digging up some Mayan pottery, and then breaking a piece off to show how it was made. Belize is really, really nonchalant about their heritage.

When I applied to be a tour guide they asked me about my experiences and I told them I had met people who had guides like this. The interviewers from the -National- school of anthropology and history went pale, haha. I told them I'd never do anything like that, of course, and they approved me not without a big talk about how that is a big no-no. Well, duh. But it goes to show that it should start with proper certification for guides. I took all the theorical classes but don't have my license yet because I need to schedule a TOEFL test and also get a first aid course certificate. However I'm like, a middle class kid who went to college and so is bothering to go through these motions. Most guides are local people who learn the local (often BS) stories about the place and then stand outside the archeological site all day. They might get a fake ID, no one's going to bother to come and ask to check ID. As a 'legit' guide I'm more in risk of being mobbed by these gray area people and intimidated into leaving a site.

My local experiences aside, I would say it's not like they're nonchalant but they see it differently. Of course academically most locals have little interest, but they do recognize it as their heritage. Over here when people dig up an artifact in their fields they say it was from 'their grandparents' and take it home, where they do care for it with some reverence. If anything that pottery guy knows there's plenty more where that came from, because and this is the most important aspect I think, there's no money for digging. Over here in Mexico we're massive and our economy is kind of consecuently big, but even so there's no money for archeology or caring of the sites. On paper the budgets look great but in practice the money vanishes in the pockets of the rich at the top. So the institutes have no money for taking care of the places, let alone checking if guides over there are on the up and up. One of the biggest sites here is still like 90% unexcavated because it's so massive but there's simply no money to start digging. Red tape and bureucracy are suffocating everything and now with the train being built in the mayan rivera things are going to be wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSMfSFbjk84

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

The other selling point for trucks these days is the seats. My mom has hip problems, and finding a sedan with seats that work for her has been a bitch. She’d love a Subaru, but the Outback is not terribly plush.

You know what vehicles have plush as gently caress seats? Giant trucks. They’re also easier for olds to get in and out of than cars where your rear end is closer to the ground. Plus they give that false sense of security that old people enjoy.

awesome, nothing is better than an old person driving than an old person driving a car that even younger people couldn't see people out of

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

Jeep should bring back the FC instead of making Wrangler abominations

Here's an amazing and very OSHA article about getting one running BTW: https://jalopnik.com/i-bought-the-worlds-most-hopeless-jeep-bringing-it-bac-1846836392

I'm sure the tale is good, but lordy, his writing style is killing me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

You know what vehicles have plush as gently caress seats? Giant trucks.

It's crazy how true this is, my dad got a big four-door truck and it's the roomiest, most comfortable vehicle anyone in the family owns. (it's a little bit big for the amount of hauling he does, but he's very much not a macho truck guy so I'm pretty sure he mostly bought it because it was so comfortable)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nocheez posted:

I'm sure the tale is good, but lordy, his writing style is killing me.

I didn't find it particularly offensive really but there's also a video at the top there