Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

My Russian is horrifically bad but Putin seems to be making a case for why Ukraine's entire existence as a sovereign nation is essentially a paperwork error?

Yes, he's been saying that since Bush. Ukraine is a territory to Putin, not a country. His government and he has been very clear on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

listening to putin argue that ukraine is a construct created by lenin and growing increasingly alarmed

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Answers Me posted:

Isn’t that… basically true though? (I’m sure my ‘basically’ is doing a fuckton of legwork there, but still)

That the borders of the former USSR reflect soviet nationality policy? Yes.

But why change it?

There are borders in Europe based on Protestant/Catholic divides from 400 years ago, no one wants to "fix them"

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

QuoProQuid posted:

listening to putin argue that ukraine is a construct created by lenin and growing increasingly alarmed
...Why? Did this not occur to you three months ago?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

GABA ghoul posted:

Something isn't right, that's not the unhinged ramblings of someone who only wants to take Donbas

This is a guy who's heart was broken by what happened to his country in the 90's and is absolutely on a mission to put the world back together.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

CommieGIR posted:

Yes, he's been saying that since Bush.

Yeah, I guess it just hits different when it's on live TV with a couple hundred thousand soldiers ready to defend that thesis.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
what's Putin's username goddamn

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Answers Me posted:

Isn’t that… basically true though? (I’m sure my ‘basically’ is doing a fuckton of legwork there, but still)

Possibly, but so what? It's an independent nation now, regardless of how it came into being.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Deteriorata posted:

Possibly, but so what? It's an independent nation now, regardless of how it came into being.

FSB?? FSB??? FSB?????

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

i think one or two things related to Ukraine (re: whether or not it is allowed to be an independent nation) may have happened prior to it joining the Soviet Union in 1922, also

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The full extent of the USSR is Historical Russia. Yes. Hmm. Of course.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Grouchio posted:

...Why? Did this not occur to you three months ago?

Because this is the kind of thing you do before you say "hitherto the children were allowed to play, but now it's time for adults in the room to show that the binds of history cannot be simply broken" and declare holy crusade against Ivano-Frankivsk.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

eke out posted:

i think one or two things related to Ukraine (re: whether or not it is allowed to be an independent nation) may have happened prior to it joining the Soviet Union in 1922, also

Yeah I'm surprised he's not blaming it on Germany instead of Lenin.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Clancy chat cabal, this is the moment where you're supposed to start melting down about global thermonuclear war, not when Zakharova makes a mean tweet while nothing is happening.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Lenin's nationalist policy wasn't inventing peoples wholecloth, it was dividing up the Russian Empire territories to try and make it so the larger minority groups had some kind of autonomy that wouldn't be totally dominated by the main demographic (Russians)

Saying Ukraine only exists because of those policies is like saying Wales only started existing in 1998 or something.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Probably not too much of a ClancyChat stretch to say that Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova all in pretty real danger of not existing relatively soon.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

FishBulbia posted:

That the borders of the former USSR reflect soviet nationality policy? Yes.

But why change it?

There are borders in Europe based on Protestant/Catholic divides from 400 years ago, no one wants to "fix them"

Well, not no one.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
idly wondering how the residents of the former Grand Duchy of Finland, whose independence was granted by none less than V Lenin himself, feel about current events

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

CommieGIR posted:

Yes, he's been saying that since Bush. Ukraine is a territory to Putin, not a country. His government and he has been very clear on that.

Unlike the noble nation state of :belarus:

Probably not too much of a ClancyChat stretch to say that Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova all in pretty real danger of not existing relatively soon.

Realistically I wouldn't go that far, e.g. Belarus is already firmly in Putin's pocket with military and trade unions. Moldova is not relevant to Russia except as to prevent them from joining Nato. Ukraine, well, if Russia forcibly annexes all the parts with a Russian majority then he's already pretty much done with his goals.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 21, 2022

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ronya posted:

idly wondering how the residents of the former Grand Duchy of Finland, whose independence was granted by none less than V Lenin himself, feel about current events

Probably filling out the NATO application right now.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Belarus has already subordinated itself, and Putin doesn't really gain much more from outright annexing it, while creating more problems for himself. I don't think Lukashenko has anything to worry about.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Eh, Belarus is effectively already in Putin's pocket and he demonstrated that this last week. Putin doesn't have to do anything there and keeping them as a puppet state is more advantageous anyways.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Counterpoint: Ukraine-Belarus puppet? Yeh. Everything else? Nah.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

What, you dont just love leader of a nuclear power whining about very bigly unfair Brest Treaty and traitorous commies on national tv in 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The real Belarus question is if we're getting an American air base in Suwalki gap.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

we now have what, 6 partially recognized states in the former USSR?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

This is not a limited objectives speech. This is also not a speech given by anyone who has advisors willing to challenge him.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
This speech is loving deranged

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1495836950145933313

it is funny how the 'it's all about NATO' posters seem to be contradicted by one Vladimir Putin's ongoing rant about the illegitimacy of the very idea that Ukraine is a state

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

learning so much about history

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GABA ghoul posted:

Holy loving poo poo, this is insane. Watch his speech, dude lost his mind

I don't know guys after listening to this I'm starting to have a suspicion that Russia wants to invade Ukraine

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

LNR, DNR, Osettia, Abkhazia, Artsakh, and Transnistria, yeah.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

fatherboxx posted:

What, you dont just love leader of a nuclear power whining about very bigly unfair Brest Treaty and traitorous commies on national tv in 2022

When will Biden's bloodlust be sateded????

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Kangxi posted:

Thanks, I haven't looked at many Putin speeches like that and yeah, this sounds pretty unhinged at first glance. At least I know I'm not alone lol.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Kangxi posted:

I am not surprised by any of this

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

FishBulbia posted:

1. Transnistria
2. Luhansk
3. Donetsk
4. Abkhazia
5. South Ossetia
6. Artsakh

Yeah seems right.
Though Artsakh isn't really a Russian client.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Alchenar posted:

This is not a limited objectives speech. This is also not a speech given by anyone who has advisors willing to challenge him.

Maybe they'll use it to play Good Cop, Bad Cop but this isn't rhetoric Lavrov would've approved of.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Grape posted:

1. Transnistria
2. Luhansk
3. Donetsk
4. Abkhazia
5. South Ossetia
6. Artsakh

Yeah seems right.
Though Artsakh isn't really a Russian client.

It now is, since it only exists due to a Russian peacekeeping force there, since the Azerbaijan-Armenia war of last year.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1495836950145933313

it is funny how the 'it's all about NATO' posters seem to be contradicted by one Vladimir Putin's ongoing rant about the illegitimacy of the very idea that Ukraine is a state

Putin was left no choice but to declare the backstory of his D&D 5e campaign on TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Conspiratiorist posted:

Maybe they'll use it to play Good Cop, Bad Cop but this isn't rhetoric Lavrov would've approved of.

I suspect Lavrov fears every staircase and window he passes.