Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torches Upon Stars
Jan 17, 2015

The future is bright.

chglcu posted:

Limitations on what can be done, such as PbtA move lists

But PbtA doesn't really have this, unless you mean they confine the scope of what can happen when you perform one of the moves.

When you play a PbtA game and describe something that doesn't fit a move trigger, the game doesn't care about it, and you are effectively beginning a freeform roleplay (or, solo, I guess a free writing exercise) as you go down that rabbit hole. For instance, when your MASKS character (as an example) watches television for an evening, that just happens, there are no rolls or stat manipulations or guided outcomes besides what your storytelling instincts suggest. When you play a PbtA game, though, though, you are sitting down to do things the game cares about, so finding a way to bring it back to the game's focus eventually, making up some new custom moves (most PbtA games recommend this), or finding a new game to cover the new scenario are all things you could end up doing within the scope of play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

chglcu posted:

(snip)

Hopefully that made any sense at all. Probably need to think this through a bit more sober though.

Oh my, this is an unenviable position to be in.

When choosing to solo roleplay you're effectively choosing to apply a bit of structure to a creative writing exercise, so the actual mechanical benefits of choosing a system is really more a matter of personal flavor. "What do I find personally engaging on a crunch level?"

The thing Ironsworn does is adjudicate target numbers for your move rolls to a randomized difficulty and give a discrete structure to your character's progress. Everything else is player-driven narrative-forward design, which is largely system agnostic and could be backported to other games without a lot of difficulty. (It is also obviously descended from pbta in terms of broader design) This accommodates the creative writing element while also offloading certain key decisions away from the player, if you want to make the narrative feel more organic as you write it. Now if you hate "metagaming" (I generally consider the elements you describe as being a form of player resource management within a game rather than an external means of influence, and this I assume must be a cultural difference of perspective) then any system not built with assumptions for solo roleplaying are, effectively, going to be metagamed by you in the process of playing out of sheer necessity since they don't offload those key decisions to an impartial source. You will always be metagaming your solo roleplay because you have to determine the challenges and consequences you face, but you will be doing so even more if you're not using a system to prompt you out of your subconscious safety.

The thing you have to ask yourself isn't just "what system supports the content I want?" You will be your own GM and you can do what you like wrt content no matter what the game says. Really, it's more a matter of "what am I hoping to get out of this game?"

From your fairly strict criteria, it does sound like you want a solo roleplaying experience that is hard mechanics-forward and crunchy, like a litRPG that you write as you experience it. If no system exists that allows you to have that experience rules as written, the onus is upon you to modify or create one that suits your purposes.

Runa fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 13, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Most PbtA games also have a catch all move for doing something risky which works well for any situation where the outcome isn’t guaranteed as well. The underlying mechanic of “miss/weak/strong” for dice rolls is extremely powerful and opens up a world of mechanical and narrative possibilities. Same with the FFG Star Wars/Genesis dice or any other non-binary resolution mechanic, but PbtA is the most approachable and easily adapted in my opinion.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 13, 2022

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Really, the matter of what system to use in solo roleplaying isn't a question of how to do it, it's a matter of how much GM burden are you willing to take on to get the experience you want.

Solo RPGs are a very small, niche space and are rules-light as a matter of course. As a solo RPG is functionally a creative writing aid, they are designed with that principle in mind.

Converting a crunchier conventional ttrpg to solo play will necessarily demand more work to accomplish similar end results. If the work isn't being put in by the author of an oracle you're using, then you yourself will have to provide.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You can always use something like Ironsworn for narrative and out of combat stuff then switch to your favorite crunchy combat system when needed. Works just fine as long as you keep the various stats in relative parity.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

You can always use something like Ironsworn for narrative and out of combat stuff then switch to your favorite crunchy combat system when needed. Works just fine as long as you keep the various stats in relative parity.

I'm not gonna lie this thought exercise is getting me pretty excited to do just that

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

chglcu posted:

So, just from a quick read about Four Against Darkness, it seems like very much not my thing. I strongly dislike level and class-based games. I’m honestly having a hard time explaining exactly why both GURPS and Ironsworn aren’t quite what I’m looking for. Lemme see if I can work out what I’m actually looking for...

etc

Well it sounds to me like you want a mid-crunch skill-based generic system.

Try Mini-Six (or one of the several other OpenD6 systems) or Everywhen or Freeform Universal 2e (there's a beta out there) or some other generic system coupled with a generic GM emulator like Mythic, CRGE, MUNE, Motif, etc.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ironsworn Delve expansion is on sale today and every purchase adds a free community copy. It's a good supplement that rounds out the system well IMO.

https://shawn-tomkin.itch.io/ironsworn-delve

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Delve was also in the Racial Equality bundle from a while back, if you got that.

Starforged meanwhile is undergoing final editing and was declared “art complete “ so it is on track for release.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Delve was also in the Racial Equality bundle from a while back, if you got that.

Starforged meanwhile is undergoing final editing and was declared “art complete “ so it is on track for release.

Oh poo poo

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Starforged Digital Edition is officially released as of today. The change log is pretty robust

quote:

Everywhere
Changed the dash (-) in page ranges and roll results to en-dash (–)
Moves
Companion takes a hit - Changed “roll +your companion’s +health.” to “roll +your companion’s health.”
Explore a Waypoint - Added comma after “On a miss”
Enter the Fray - Fixed bolding of strong hit
Make a Discovery - updated “Roll Twice” to “Roll twice” (lowercase t) to match format used elsewhere
Added formalized moves for scene challenges to the scene challenges section of the rulebook and to the Reference Guide codex
Playkit
Minor updates to all sheets for style consistency
Updates to move reference sheets per changes above
Updated character sheet to remove + symbols on condition meters
Assets
Modules / Missile Array - Ability #3: Changed “you may reroll each challenge die” to ““you may reroll any challenge dice”
Support Vehicle / Skiff - Ability #1: changed “reliability” to “durability”
Path / Bannersworn - Ability #3: Changed to “When you make a progress move in direct service to your ideology, you may reroll one challenge die. If you score a strong hit with a match, your reputation grows among those who share your ideology; mark 1 tick on your bonds legacy track.”
Path / Blademaster
Ability #1: Changed to: When you Clash or Strike in close-quarters, add +1. On a strong hit with a match, you are unstoppable; mark progress.
Ability #3: Changed to “You wield an iconic blade. Give it a name. When you Swear an Iron Vow by binding your promise to the blade, add +1. On a hit, fill the box below. If you make a move (including a progress move) using this oathbound blade and score a miss, you may clear the box to reroll any dice.”
Path / Demolitionist - Ability #3 - Changed “reroll any dice” to “reroll any challenge dice.”
Path / Infiltrator - Ability #3 - Removed “you may”
Path / Lore Hunter
Ability #1 - Added momentum bonus for Reach a Milestone
Ability #2 - Changed bonus to reroll any challenge dice. Minor other adjustments to text.
Path / Slayer
Reworded all abilities (changing “creature” to “inhuman foe”)
Path / Sniper
Ability #1 - Revised to make it a self-contained move
Ability #3 - Minor revisions
Companion / Glowcat - Ability #2: Minor adjustments to make sentence construction more consistent with other assets
Deed / Marked - Ability #3 - Removed “you may”
Deed / Vanguard - Ability #1 - Revised for clarity
Oracles
Creature / First Look - Changed suggested rolls to 1-2
Faction / Changed summary for Guild
Derelict / Research / Area - Fixed errant capitalization of entry 25-32 (Decontamination room)
Derelict / Living / Peril - Updated entry 71-80
Location Theme / Theme Type: Updated to include arrow symbols (>)
Location Theme / Chaotic - Changed entry 49-56
Location Theme / Haunted - Fixed error in entry 41-60
Location Theme / Sacred - Changed description
Precursor Vault / Interior Feature - Added arrow symbol (>) to 86-90 result
Rulebook
Misc fixes and edits
Art updates (done!)
Added starship cutaway illustration
Repaired broken interlinks in Chapter 1
Truths
Minor edit to Medicine #2
Updated all references to stats and condition meters to use the value without a plus sign (i.e. 5 instead of +5), The + was superfluous since condition meter values cannot go negative; this also makes those references consistent with the values shown on asset card integrity meters.
Revisions to scene challenges (incorporated player-facing actions as distinct moves)

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 19, 2022

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Unfortunately it will still be a little while until people who didn't (late) back can purchase it. Shawn is focusing on making sure production gets underway right now.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Unfortunately it will still be a little while until people who didn't (late) back can purchase it. Shawn is focusing on making sure production gets underway right now.

Aw heck lol

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I'm new to solo gaming and I'm having a blast with 5 Parsecs. It's so much more engaging than I thought a solo RPG could be. Using Tableplop for the battlemat and using the grid-based rules has been working out really well. My friend and I are going to try a coop campaign later this week, so I'm looking forward to trying that out.

I backed Starforged late, so we might try that one out next.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Here's another new inexpensive solo journaling RPG:

Colostle: The Roomlands

quote:

The Colostle, an impossibly massive castle, the interior of which is so large that mountains, valleys, towns, cities and even oceans fill its rooms, with the ceilings and roof so high they are beyond sight, shrouded by the misty expanse of the sky, that sits within it’s vaulted heights.

Patrolling the Rooms of the Colostle are the Rooks, huge stone automatons that look like castle towers but with arms and legs. They are formidable opponents, and will attack you if they spot you, but if you can take one down, rewards of magic and mechanical parts will be yours.

You are a Roomlander, heading out on a quest into these Roomlands, keeping a journal of your legendary adventures as you go, but the Colostle extends infinitely in every direction, and the more you travel, the more new kinds of Roomlands you will discover.

Played with a deck of playing cards that you cross reference against tables in the book for writing prompts, and also for combat numbers. This is an expansion to the original Colostle, which I never played, but you can get the original core book and this expansion together in PDF for $14.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hi everyone I have been very interested in doing some solo RPGing and I'm also a DM so I kind of consider it prep work for D&D night. Anyway I made a big book of random tables because I found the tables available to me to be inadequate. I'm sure some of you could make use of them too, I formatted them to be as efficient as possible for printing (I like to put them all into a binder, so I can take out the sheets I need):

https://www.mediafire.com/file/3zypyaoezv5mrxe/Rutibex_Solo_RPG_Tables.pdf/file

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Shawn Tomkin posted:

---
**Update: What's the status of Starforged for those who missed the Kickstarter and late pledge?
Ironsworn: Starforged will be publicly released, likely in a few weeks from this post, once we have our storefront up-and-running. This storefront will enable PDF orders, plus preorders on Deluxe (physical) Edition books and cards.

At that time, Starforged Digital Edition (PDF only) will also be available through DriveThruRPG and Itch.io.

We will order some quantity of extra physical books and cards as part of our 1st printing for non-backers, although not certain how much and for how long they will be available. If you'd like to be notified when the game is officially released and preorders go live, you can submit your email via this web form: https://www.ironswornrpg.com/staforged-notify-me

Print-on-demand versions of Starforged will most likely not be available this year, but may appear at some future point.

Appreciate all of the interest! I'm eager to make Starforged more accessible, but have to deal with the realities of selling and shipping stuff in a 2022 world.

Feel free to tag me or DM with any questions.

Since at least one person commented in here about getting Starforged I figured I’d copy this from the Discord.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh drat, just a couple weeks to go huh

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There's a TTRPG bundle supporting trans organizations in Texas that includes a few solo games
https://itch.io/b/1308/ttrpgs-for-trans-rights-in-texas

From just a cursory glance there's Princess with a Cursed Sword and World Builder. No idea on quality, and I'm sure there's others.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Princess with a Cursed Sword is pretty good, though in general I'm a fan of the author's works. It's closer to a storytelling exercise, but there's still dice rolls (coin flips) and I used some wooden disks to make my own coins to go along with the tarot deck I used to play it.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Thinking about attempting the whole solo game deal, and I didn't any lists of oracle systems in the opening post with a quick check. Are there any suggested ones that I could wrap around another system that does tactical combat that I may already have? Relatedly, are there any good algorithmic AI sets for solo tactical gaming? I know of Five Parsecs, and I've seen FlexAI in passing, but is there anything people can vouch for?

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

There's a similar bundle for :10bux: in the GBS Ukraine thread

potatocubed posted:

I'm about 800 posts behind on this thread so this might already have been posted, but:

If you like video games and/or tabletop roleplaying games, you can get like a thousand of them with all proceeds going to charities supporting the victims of war in Ukraine. Minimum buy-in is only :10bux: but if you feel like paying more, you can.

Edit: Yes, there's going to be a load of shovelware in there, but it's a thousand games. I guarantee there'll be something in there you like.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
https://www.modiphius.net/products/solo-game-masters-guide

Modiphius are publishing a book by Geek Gamers. Her youtube channel is pretty good.

Still waiting for Five Leagues though!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Modiphius are publishing a book by Geek Gamers. Her youtube channel is pretty good.

Oh hey, I watch her content pretty often. Good for her.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Only 70 pages of random tables? I expected more from her.

I love her solo games youtube. It put me in the correct direction to find all the best solo oracles and tables.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Tasoth posted:

Thinking about attempting the whole solo game deal, and I didn't any lists of oracle systems in the opening post with a quick check. Are there any suggested ones that I could wrap around another system that does tactical combat that I may already have? Relatedly, are there any good algorithmic AI sets for solo tactical gaming? I know of Five Parsecs, and I've seen FlexAI in passing, but is there anything people can vouch for?

Mythic GME is what I use when I want to solo games using the games native system.

I also layer on the Scarlet Heroes HD and Defy Death mechanics if it's a D&D adjacent game

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

StarkRavingMad posted:

Delve/Rise/Umbra: Three separate games by the same author, available separately or in a bundle. They use basically the same mechanics, drawing cards from a regular deck of cards and drawing a map on a grid, and are essentially solo RPG Dwarf Fortress (Delve), Dungeon Keeper (Rise), and Rimworld (Umbra). Maybe more mechanics/board gamey than RPG but can tell some interesting stories.

Delve (and 997 other things) is in the itch.io Bundle for Ukraine. Firstly, that is a good cause and it is :10bux: so worth checking out if you haven't already.

This was the first game I was drawn to out of the lot. Something about the cover captivated me.

I read the rules. I got out my mapping paper and a pen. I fired up random.org since I couldn't find a deck of cards.

Opt to explore one level down, draw a King of Clubs.

That spawns a monster that overwhelmed my starting forces. My game of Delve was over in fewer than 30 seconds.

I am familiar with Dwarf Fortress and its version of "fun". I am on board with that. I'm not on board with game design that results in a loss before the first turn is even over.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Antifreeze Head posted:

Delve (and 997 other things) is in the itch.io Bundle for Ukraine. Firstly, that is a good cause and it is :10bux: so worth checking out if you haven't already.

This was the first game I was drawn to out of the lot. Something about the cover captivated me.

I read the rules. I got out my mapping paper and a pen. I fired up random.org since I couldn't find a deck of cards.

Opt to explore one level down, draw a King of Clubs.

That spawns a monster that overwhelmed my starting forces. My game of Delve was over in fewer than 30 seconds.

I am familiar with Dwarf Fortress and its version of "fun". I am on board with that. I'm not on board with game design that results in a loss before the first turn is even over.

So keep playing your character in hell. Why would dying end the adventure

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

Because there thousands other ways I can spend my time, I'm not going to bother kludging in a haphazard fix to polish up a turd.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I think Rise and Umbra have a rule to basically give you a chance to build up, or maybe it was a tweak in errata or on patreon. It's something they need, unfortunately.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I think Rise and Umbra have a rule to basically give you a chance to build up, or maybe it was a tweak in errata or on patreon. It's something they need, unfortunately.

Delve does have that rule:

If you are exploring in depth 1 and draw a ♠, ignore that card and draw again;
this will allow you some time to build up your hold, recruit Units, and prepare
your defences.
Otherwise, you will encounter a remnant. Check the table on page
21 to find out what you’ve stumbled upon, and then draw it on your map in the
space you chose to explore.

The problem is that Antifreeze drew a K of Clubs which is one of the very few non-spade enemies. I probably would have just kludged the rule and counted it the same as a spade and re-drawn. But I can understand wanting to follow the rules.

Rutibex posted:

Delve isn't really that kind of a game, it's not like a single-character narrative where you can just free-form the adventure. It's more of a solo pen and paper Dwarf Fortress.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 16, 2022

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I will go back to it, it is still a concept that interests me. And if I get a semi-successful play-through under my belt, I'll probably look back at it and laugh. But it will be a bit before that bitter taste fades from my mouth.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The designer does a ton of tinkering and expansion-building on patreon and discord, I think is is her nature to release stuff and iterate on it. Primarily her first rule is always “if it’s not fun, you can play it how you want.” But that does result in a potentially unsatisfying time for people who want to run a tightly tweaked experience out of the box.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

StarkRavingMad posted:

Delve isn't really that kind of a game, it's not like a single-character narrative where you can just free-form the adventure. It's more of a solo pen and paper Dwarf Fortress.

Sorry I actually have a bunch of Delve charts I put into my book of tables so when I heard Delve my mind instantly went to D&D. I have just got into solo rpging as a DM prep tool (this is my excuse :v:) so I'm running D&D. If the dice killed my character in the first round of a game I would take note of my alignment, crack open the manual of the planes and start role-playing D&D's well detailed afterlife with extensive encounter tables :black101:

But I guess Ironswarn is it's own setting if you play with all the rules and you would be throwing away a lot of the Ironlands setting to do that in the game itself.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 16, 2022

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

They’re talking about Delve, which is a separate, unrelated game from the Ironsworn: Delve expansion.

Just in case that wasn’t clear (cause I got confused a bit at first!)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They’re talking about Delve, which is a separate, unrelated game from the Ironsworn: Delve expansion.

Just in case that wasn’t clear (cause I got confused a bit at first!)

:eyepop:
Ohhh a map drawing game, gimmie

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:
Ohhh a map drawing game, gimmie

If you are interested in map drawing games, you might like Penciltown. I heard about it from the Geek Gamer's youtube channel; and I've bought it, read through most of it, but I have yet to play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv9Vjw8cUJs&t=1375s

Basically, Penciltown is a solo exercise in building up a town using randomly generated resources. If you are successful, eventually you can acquire gold to hire adventurers, build a church to hold holy relics or even build a wizard tower and encourage wizards to live in it.

It is $5 on Drivethrou for a 37 page book.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/253129/Penciltown

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Oh that looks pretty cool, for $5 I'll definitely check it out.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Helical Nightmares posted:

If you are interested in map drawing games, you might like Penciltown. I heard about it from the Geek Gamer's youtube channel; and I've bought it, read through most of it, but I have yet to play it.

Do you have thoughts on that one vs PencilVillage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Helical Nightmares posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv9Vjw8cUJs&t=1375s

Basically, Penciltown is a solo exercise in building up a town using randomly generated resources. If you are successful, eventually you can acquire gold to hire adventurers, build a church to hold holy relics or even build a wizard tower and encourage wizards to live in it.

It is $5 on Drivethrou for a 37 page book.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/253129/Penciltown

Thank you for reminding me of this! I watched this same video and made a note to get this game but I forgot :v:

Graph paper is the paper of the gods