Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Biplane posted:

Driving school? In america? :lol:

Well excuse my *checks English-American dictionary* full communism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
what's not to love about blindspots taller than my body height

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wheeee posted:

i love small cars, there should be extra licensing and driver training required to drive vehicles the size of modern full size trucks

but if i had a family you bet your rear end they’d be riding in a giant suv or crew cab truck, there’s good selfish reasons everyone’s buying them these days

only regulations will end the vehicle size arms race, so lol

Trucks are hugely impractical vehicles, absolutely nothing about them is "useful" in day-to-day life compared to other vehicle types unless you have some very specific use case. Certainly not great family vehicles at all.

Also, you don't need a huge vehicle to ferry two kids around. People claim they need an absurd SUV because they just had their first kid, it's very lmao.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This came up in the Trump thread when people were discussing the Ottawa occupation, but trucks in Canada are way more expensive than in the US, even after taking currency conversion into account, however the same males/ truck crap still exists.

Where I live a lot if men drive trucks that are used for businesses but basically used as private vehicles, however anyone who doesn’t own a business sees these trucks and aspires to own them. I remember working with a group of you people years ago and when I mentioned that I’d purchased a new car they reacted with genuine confusion over why I hadn’t bought a truck, like “Were they sold out of trucks?”-level.

I genuinely have no idea how the people I see driving them can afford their +$70k tanks they go to the grocery store and liquor store in.

edit: ^^Yeah, SUV’s are a big thing with some of the parents I know. We’re expecting in a few months and my partner has informed me we’ll be buying an SUV as our next car.

Professor Shark has issued a correction as of 13:11 on Feb 21, 2022

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
congrats on the new SUV :keke:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I don't want one ugh

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Are vans included in this equation? Because I have a van and it owns

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Wheeee posted:

i love small cars, there should be extra licensing and driver training required to drive vehicles the size of modern full size trucks

but if i had a family you bet your rear end they’d be riding in a giant suv or crew cab truck, there’s good selfish reasons everyone’s buying them these days

only regulations will end the vehicle size arms race, so lol
They have poo poo all crumple zones and are considerably more likely to roll and kill everyone inside.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Professor Shark posted:

I don't want one ugh

Station wagon.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Fame Douglas posted:

Trucks are hugely impractical vehicles, absolutely nothing about them is "useful" in day-to-day life compared to other vehicle types unless you have some very specific use case. Certainly not great family vehicles at all.

Also, you don't need a huge vehicle to ferry two kids around. People claim they need an absurd SUV because they just had their first kid, it's very lmao.

I had this same argument with my future-ex wife when our 1st son was born. She decided we needed an SUV to ferry around an 8 pound baby so I took her 5 year old sedan and we replaced my otherwise perfectly fine 8 year old car that only had like 70k miles. I did manage to talk her down from the giant 3 row SUV to the smaller one.

And in fairness it wasn't a terrible decision because despite the baby not giving a gently caress about what car he was in, over the years we were able to buy a ton of furniture and appliances and bring it home without begging a friend with a truck to help us. When we replaced our big flat screen tv last year I was able to just barely fit it in by lowering the back seats and moving up the front seats to the point where my head was right up to the steering wheel. And if you live somewhere where it snows, and your boss doesn't give a gently caress how dangerous the roads are and he demands you come in to work, well then a truck/suv helps.

Anyway I can't totally begrudge someone for having a larger vehicle but if your entire family has trucks and/or giant SUVs or whatever then your insane.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Not having to ask your friends for poo poo is what is causing the social glue to further disintegrate and people to feel more lonely and depressed.

Like I got two left hands so when I need some small DIY poo poo done around the house I ask my engineer friend who enjoys that poo poo and also enjoys showing off and talking about his stupidly huge collection of tools which in exchange I pretend to give a gently caress about when he nerds out about it, plus provide him with free beer and then last time my gf made homemade sushi we invited him and his wife over.

So what I'm saying is, ask (don't beg wtf is this servile poo poo?) your friends for help with moving furniture with no shame. If they make you feel bad about trivial poo poo like that they weren't your friends to begin with.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I haven't had an automobile for years and whenever I need to buy something big I just pay the 30€ or whatever for it to be delivered to my home.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I like tap water.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I haven't had an automobile for years and whenever I need to buy something big I just pay the 30€ or whatever for it to be delivered to my home.

This. Myself and herself don't own a car, and save beaucoup money by just getting poo poo delivered or taxi where necessary, and when we need to do a weekend trip we just get a rental.

I understand this isn't possible for people with multiple kids who don't live in a European capital city, but it is nice

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I dream of only needing one car even. :allears:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

I don't want one ugh

why not go for the classic minivan mom-mobile

not sure why those stopped being a thing

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

The Nastier Nate posted:

I had this same argument with my future-ex wife when our 1st son was born. She decided we needed an SUV to ferry around an 8 pound baby so I took her 5 year old sedan and we replaced my otherwise perfectly fine 8 year old car that only had like 70k miles. I did manage to talk her down from the giant 3 row SUV to the smaller one.

And in fairness it wasn't a terrible decision because despite the baby not giving a gently caress about what car he was in, over the years we were able to buy a ton of furniture and appliances and bring it home without begging a friend with a truck to help us. When we replaced our big flat screen tv last year I was able to just barely fit it in by lowering the back seats and moving up the front seats to the point where my head was right up to the steering wheel. And if you live somewhere where it snows, and your boss doesn't give a gently caress how dangerous the roads are and he demands you come in to work, well then a truck/suv helps.

Anyway I can't totally begrudge someone for having a larger vehicle but if your entire family has trucks and/or giant SUVs or whatever then your insane.

woah your big car let you buy more poo poo? very cool!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
You want a truck bad enough you can be gelded to have one

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

You want a truck bad enough you can be gelded to have one

Hey, free pair of truck nuts. Win-win.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

spending $15k extra and emitting 20 tons of co2 to avoid $100 in delivery fees. its just being a saavy consumer

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
everyone should just ride motorcycles, I’m glad we finally figured out the compromise solution

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Red Baron posted:

everyone should just ride motorcycles, I’m glad we finally figured out the compromise solution

there should be exactly one private vehicle legal street in every city and it should look like this

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Cloks posted:

woah your big car let you buy more poo poo? very cool!

thats the American dream isnt it?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Breakfast All Day posted:

there should be exactly one private vehicle legal street in every city and it should look like this

you want privately-owned buses?

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

you want privately-owned buses?

no, private vehicles are legal on the road but still have to share and defer to any public vehicles. also all bus drivers have a license to kill and bond-level gadgets to do it

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

no, private vehicles are legal on the road but still have to share and defer to any public vehicles. also all bus drivers have a license to kill and bond-level gadgets to do it

so there’s an open position at MARTA, and you sound like a great fit…

when can you start

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It costs like 17 dollars to rent a pickup or big van from home depot, if you need to transport big furniture just do that.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

The Nastier Nate posted:

thats the American dream isnt it?

you're not wrong

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

Not having to ask your friends for poo poo is what is causing the social glue to further disintegrate and people to feel more lonely and depressed.

Like I got two left hands so when I need some small DIY poo poo done around the house I ask my engineer friend who enjoys that poo poo and also enjoys showing off and talking about his stupidly huge collection of tools which in exchange I pretend to give a gently caress about when he nerds out about it, plus provide him with free beer and then last time my gf made homemade sushi we invited him and his wife over.

So what I'm saying is, ask (don't beg wtf is this servile poo poo?) your friends for help with moving furniture with no shame. If they make you feel bad about trivial poo poo like that they weren't your friends to begin with.

This is a good post. Asking for help kicks rear end. Helping people move kicks rear end. Handing down baby clothes to your friends also counts, just like inviting the neighbours over for breakfast. It's social and feels worthwhile and everyone benefits (except oddly the state which is cheated out of taxable labour).
My brother in law helped us cut down some trees the other week. Turns out he really liked the excuse for using (and showing off) his chainsaw.

Now I just have to develop some usable skills to contribute myself, besides lifting heavy stuff...

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

all bus drivers have a license to kill and bond-level gadgets to do it

No thanks bus drivers already have enough tools to feed their unquenchable thirst for bicyclist blood.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Fame Douglas posted:

Have you seen an American child? Absolutely enormous

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Red Baron posted:

everyone should just ride motorcycles escooters that are rentable using a transit card and have a basket, I’m glad we finally figured out the compromise solution

fixed

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Just abolish going outside. We're like 5 years from replacing going places with screens and delivery.

Or, you know, functional nine infrastructure is good.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

:guillotine:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

My use case is if I don't have a bigger vehicle than everyone else I feel threatened by the other vehicles' masculinity, duh

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

boring redux of a better idea

now legalize scooter riding on the sidewalk and we can talk

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1495825200289656836

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Bold to assume tech companies aren't collaborating.

It's not like they already colluded to crush workers in the past right?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Red Baron posted:

you can't let the vietnamese win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Lastgirl posted:

you can't let the vietnamese win

it’s the American way