Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

fatherboxx posted:

What, you dont just love leader of a nuclear power whining about very bigly unfair Brest Treaty and traitorous commies on national tv in 2022

I see why Trump and this guy got along

They're the same picture: one is just a little bit smarter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

I suspect Lavrov fears every staircase and window he passes.

In my opinion, he's one of the more comfortable Kremlin insiders. He's held privileged positions for eternity, and is second in unsinkability if only to Shoygu.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
"I have lots of alliances with ethnically fraught pseudo micro-states, do you???"

"I sleep in a big military pact with my wife"

"....."

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Poor Putin, thought of Ukraine and went mad

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Imagine six unrecognized mafia states on the edge of a cliff.
Russian foreign policy works the same way.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i cannot believe that ukraine is both sponsoring radical islam and is on the verge of acquiring weapons of mass destruction

real 2003 iraq vibes

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Putin's going full on lebensraum, wow

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Poor Putin, thought of Ukraine and went mad

I wonder if age is catching up to him. Did Putin always keep his allies this far from him? Its almost like he doesn't want them to see him too well?

QuoProQuid posted:

i cannnot believe that ukraine is both sponsoring radical islam and is on the verge of acquiring weapons of mass destruction

Obviously they found Yellowcake at Chernobyl, this cannot stand.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kangxi posted:

This speech is loving deranged

I was rolling my eyes, then Putin started rambling about Ukrainian nuclear weapons, and I nearly fell out of my chair.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

QuoProQuid posted:

i cannnot believe that ukraine is both sponsoring radical islam and is on the verge of acquiring weapons of mass destruction

He wants to have his own version of the Iraq War, as a treat

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I'll need to watch the full speech tomorrow, I feel like I'm missing out with catching sound bites while going on about my evening.

OddObserver, Mobby, everyone else there or with close people down on the ground in Ukraine - my condolences. I hope I'll only need to be moderately embarrassed about the European leadership in the coming days, but, as we say here in Latvia, надежда это утешение дурака.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Can folks confirm this quote:
https://twitter.com/benpauker/status/1495837757356318722?cxt=HHwWhIC5jfugpMIpAAAA

(...I am not going to subject myself to the speech itself).

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

OddObserver posted:

https://twitter.com/benpauker/status/1495837757356318722?cxt=HHwWhIC5jfugpMIpAAAA

Yes, the translator said something to that effect.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

finally got to NATO, which is on the verge of overthrowing russia

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

CommieGIR posted:

I wonder if age is catching up to him. Did Putin always keep his allies this far from him? Its almost like he doesn't want them to see him too well?

Obviously they found Yellowcake at Chernobyl, this cannot stand.

*googles Putin’s age*

Nice

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Did Putin always keep his allies this far from him? Its almost like he doesn't want them to see him too well?

Covid precautions, apparently.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

OddObserver posted:

So in other words aligns with what the US said this AM: That they have a list of people to arrest as soon as they get in country.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

So I don't think it really matters in the grand scheme of things, but Zelensky gifting Putin this nuclear weapons talking point by talking about revisiting the Budapest Memorandum was really loving stupid. I totally understand the frustration at feeling like Russia's the only one who can get away with violating it, but expressing interest in nuclear weapons when you're about to be invaded isn't helpful!

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

OddObserver posted:

Is that not that famous kill list that was discussed a few pages ago?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Putin not a fan of tearing down statues.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Putin wisely acknowledges that Ukraine and Crimea should be returned to Turkey.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sinteres posted:

So I don't think it really matters in the grand scheme of things, but Zelensky gifting Putin this nuclear weapons talking point by talking about revisiting the Budapest Memorandum was really loving stupid. I totally understand the frustration at feeling like Russia's the only one who can get away with violating it, but expressing interest in nuclear weapons when you're about to be invaded isn't helpful!

Yeah but Putin could twist that any way he wants: Zelensky was calling out the Budapest amendment to specifically force Russia and the US to meet and negotiate. Zelensky was not wrong in bringing it up.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

I will admit that I'm not particularly versed in Eastern European culture and sensibilities, and there's probably a lot being lost in translation here. That being said, that speech comes across as shockingly inefficient rhetoric-wise to my ears. What purpose does this serve? It's not like anyone who isn't already fully on board could possibly be swayed by this.

Add to that the bizarrely distanced event from this morning, and I can't help but think that Putin really does not have a single advisor working for him.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

OddObserver posted:

funny, this almost sounds like the exact thing the US was claiming it had intercepted intel about, lists of Ukrainian dissidents/etc that Russia would like to capture

edit: beat

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

"One country cannot achieve its security at the expense of others."

:allears:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Aramis posted:

Add to that the bizarrely distanced event from this morning, and I can't help but think that Putin really does not have a single advisor working for him.

I mean, Putin has ramped up the "Do or Die" sort of rhetoric the past few years including hunting down critics in other countries. I wouldn't be surprised if age is taking a toll on the old paranoid KGB agent inside him.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.
He just said something to the effect of "countries can't enhance their own security at the expense of other countries." Which is exactly what he's doing.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Finishing up with a focus on NATO it looks like.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Aramis posted:

I will admit that I'm not particularly versed in Eastern European culture and sensibilities, and there's probably a lot being lost in translation here. That being said, that speech comes across as shockingly inefficient rhetoric-wise to my ears. What purpose does this serve? It's not like anyone who isn't already fully on board could possibly be swayed by this.

It is. This is what happens when a cloistered autocrat gets in front of a camera and vents about the things that annoy him.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Aramis posted:

Bruh the whole russian speaking twitter is in stitches

The only thing you are missing is how droning and rambling it is, same way non English speakers think Trump can talk coherently

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

now he's complaining about germany being in NATO after reunification

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Aramis posted:

This is speech is the metaphoric equivalent of when it's 4am and your mates have gone through the second gallon of fireball, and your uncle mentions Benghazi.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

fatherboxx posted:

Bruh the whole russian speaking twitter is in stitches
Over Putin??

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

tagesschau posted:

He just said something to the effect of "countries can't enhance their own security at the expense of other countries." Which is exactly what he's doing.

If you refer to the first part of the speech I think you’ll find that he already proved that Ukraine isn’t a country.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

QuoProQuid posted:

now he's complaining about germany being in NATO after reunification

I love that Putin really wants to re-legislate history, like what the hell is going on in this guys head.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Putin relating a conversation with Bill Clinton ("which I've never discussed before") where he allegedly asked, "Why do you want to make an enemy about us?" and was told "It's not about our political regime. It's that they don't need a big and independent country like Russia."

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CommieGIR posted:

So in other words aligns with what the US said this AM: That they have a list of people to arrest as soon as they get in country.

Unsubstantiated! Unsubstantiated, irrational slander! I yell as I shrink into a corncob

This is really cool, we broke his brain

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

I love that Putin really wants to re-legislate history, like what the hell is going on in this guys head.

Actually you should be feeling quite educated by now

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I haven't heard many Putin speeches in my life. Is this speech a normal level of crazy for him or is it unusually crazy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

QuoProQuid posted:

Putin relating a conversation with Bill Clinton ("which I've never discussed before") where he allegedly asked, "Why do you want to make an enemy about us?" and was told "It's not about our political regime. It's that they don't need a big and independent country like Russia."

Wonderful evening at little st. James